Opera Founder Resigns

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
In an email to the board, Opera founder Jon Tetzchner announced his resignation from the company effective next week. Tetzchner cited a basic difference of opinion between the company management and himself on company policies. I guess the Fat Lady has sung.:D

It has become clear that The Board, Management and I do not share the same values and we do not have the same opinions on how to keep evolving Opera.

Tried Opera a few times years ago but could never could get past the page layout/rendering errors on a lot of the websites I visited, so I gave up on it as a browser..

I only use Opera. It displays everything fine for what I view. I don't like the layout of IE since 7 or firefox since the 3.0 series.

I havn't really given chrome a proper handshake yet so that may be in my future depending on what changes within Opera from this move.

I only use Opera. It displays everything fine for what I view. I don't like the layout of IE since 7 or firefox since the 3.0 series.

I havn't really given chrome a proper handshake yet so that may be in my future depending on what changes within Opera from this move.

Neither IE9 or FF5.0 use the same layout as the versions you used. They both have a similar layout to Chrome now and both have Speedial just like Opera as an option too.

Was the difference his insistence on keeping a 2% market share through his strategy? :p

Too bad, Opera is my goto Browser 11.5 rocks although Firefox 5 is pretty good too

Was the difference his insistence on keeping a 2% market share through his strategy? :p
Opera's market share in the mobile browser market is 20-25%. After this guy stepped down as CEO, their growth has really accelerated, though.

lol. Using opera right now. I've almost always used it except for after the 10.0 udpate. Stopped for a bit and recently went back. It's not bad, I just wish there were some kind of extention support that Firefox had. It would be a perfect browser if it had it. I think the memory footprint and cpu usage would suck ass though.

I used to use Opera for it's great UI. Now, I've moved on to Firefox and Chrome for the speed..

I used to use Opera for it's great UI. Now, I've moved on to Firefox and Chrome for the speed..
That doesn't make sense. Firefox is slower than both Opera and Chrome, while Opera and Chrome are just about tied.

That doesn't make sense. Firefox is slower than both Opera and Chrome, while Opera and Chrome are just about tied.

and Opera does not have all the uber-cool Chrome built-in spyware...

Opera > *

I like Opera, but some pages either don't render correctly or the page developer doesn't even let you use Opera. Also, the click to activate flash components is the most annoying thing on earth.

Yeh, but they don't want to have to pay $$ so they can get rid of it.
Unlike Google and Microsoft, Opera does not have extremely deep pockets. There are certain limitations to being an independent browser vendor and not part of a major monopolist organization.

Opera Mobile is the best mobile browser by a longshot. I try to use Opera for my PC and I like it a lot but I have too many issues with several pages not wanting to work right and some of my online bill paying wont work at all on Opera. Plus it uses a shit load of memory. Was using it the other night for a couple hours and noticed it was up to 600MB!

Yep, but when Firefox uses around 250, I don't really see the point in wasting 350 MB for a browser that doesn't even work correctly on some websites. If it was faster and as compliant as FF, it would be worth it.

Yep, but when Firefox uses around 250, I don't really see the point in wasting 350 MB for a browser that doesn't even work correctly on some websites. If it was faster and as compliant as FF, it would be worth it.
The OS should page out some of that memory to disc if more memory is needed for some other task. I don't worry how much memory an application has allocated in most cases. I'm no fan of Opera, but I just don't think it's a big deal.

I do wonder in general why rendering a few pages containing a couple hundred KB of data takes 250MB of memory. :p This stuff didn't used to happen. I mean just a couple of years ago, most browsers used 1/5th that amount of memory or less to render the same pages.

Yep, but when Firefox uses around 250, I don't really see the point in wasting 350 MB
You can't compare memory usage directly like that. It's like counting GHz or megapixels. It's a fallacy to count the GHz or megapixels and automatically conclude that whatever uses the least or most is better or worse.

Different browsers use slightly different amounts of memory because their memory handling strategies are different. Opera does a lot of caching to make things like navigating back and forward on a page faster.

But Opera also releases memory when needed, and generally adapts dynamically. Firefox has a more crude type of memory handling, so it basically dumps stuff every now and then. This might give you the illusion that it's "better" but it's really just different and not as sophisticated.

Opera's memory handling needs to be dynamic and adaptable because it was built from scratch with mobile devices in mind. Not so with Firefox, which is a desktop browser they are trying to pry onto mobile devices.

In conclusion: Obsessing over 100 MB when you have several GB is silly, and really missing the point.

If it was faster and as compliant as FF, it would be worth it.
Opera is as compliant as Firefox. Indeed, it's far better in many areas, such as SVG, web forms, etc. And Opera is indeed faster at things that involve the cache, such as navigating back and forward on pages.

I do wonder in general why rendering a few pages containing a couple hundred KB of data takes 250MB of memory. :p This stuff didn't used to happen. I mean just a couple of years ago, most browsers used 1/5th that amount of memory or less to render the same pages.
Pages are far more sophisticated today than just a few years ago (and there are far more web standards and technologies to deal with). Browsers have to handle a lot more stuff (both input and output). There are highly complex calculations needed to figure out how all these advanced web technologies interact, and then display the correct page on screen.

Also, a lot of resources are taken up by having to handle broken code on sites. This is true for Firefox, but especially true for Opera, which doesn't get the free ride other browsers do. Opera actually needs more compatibility workarounds because sites generally aren't tested in it. Firefox, Chrome, etc. don't need a lot of them today because sites will work around their bugs for them. Opera then has to deal with those bugs in addition to the other stuff the engine has to handle.

I am somewhat inconvenienced by the number of pages which do not render properly in opera, however there is a workaround: one can have the toolbar:
[find in page][find next][author Mode] [images on] [Fit to width] [% (zoom)]
setup (Cannot explain how; but be sure to save the file which contains that configuration once
attained in case opera crashes and obliterates it).
Then, the [author Mode --User mode] toggle can be toggled to user mode, and possibly
the [fit to width] toggled also, 95 percent of the time when the page is unreadable one can
still peruse it in Opera without using an alternate browser, saving tens of minutes of time
daily most days. (I've posted before about this fix; maybe other posts tell more about how
to attain it). Ironically, (and trivially), one major news portal site somewhat works better "because" of that
breakage; if one is practiced one can halve the total load times VS if the page loaded correctly.

Too bad, Opera is my goto Browser 11.5 rocks although Firefox 5 is pretty good too
Freebsd v8... Opera 11.01 > 11.50 while it fixed many issues in my earlier post in this thread, a
fourth of the text on webpages (in Google for instance, the stuff one types into the search bar),
(on some thirty percent of sites) was a strange new cursive type, very difficult to read (most forums unaffected). So while the rendering issues were mostly fixed, I had to revert to the earlier
version from backup. Might be a font configuration file somewhere on the machine, or may
disappear if I build the opera 11.50 in the ports natively when it arrives there. No time to
investigate further.

Back