• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ooops, roasted my i7 temperature probe

old skool

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 5, 2000
Messages
1,694
I tried booting into Windows at 4ghz and 1.475 volts on the stock Intel heatsink & fan. Bad idea. Destroyed the temperature probe and now my fans are running at full speed 100% of the time. I wonder what else I melted....


[Notice where it says 127ΔT, it normally reads between 38ΔT and 1ΔT depending on load]
deadthermalprobevi4.jpg
 
Yep; even the BIOS reports zero degrees C. So the fans are in panic mode and just run full blast. I hate it.
 
Wow I didn't realize anyone actually used the crappy motherboard fan control.

Anywho, that sucks that you have no temp readings now.
 
I know this sounds rediculous but can you RMA that chip? I know technicly your not supposed to OC so that was the risk you took...... BUT that sounds like it was a defect waiting to happen with that chip


I know i wouldnt feel comfortable not knowing the temp of my cpu
 
With the stock cooler? Are you mad?

I'm still wondering ig my 920 would be ok @ 20x166 for 3.3 w/ the stock cooler and not wanting to even try cause I might break something. I'm a lot more paranoid with this Intel chip then I've even been with AMD hardware, and now this is another thing I get to look forward to.
 
With the stock cooler? Are you mad?

I'm still wondering ig my 920 would be ok @ 20x166 for 3.3 w/ the stock cooler and not wanting to even try cause I might break something. I'm a lot more paranoid with this Intel chip then I've even been with AMD hardware, and now this is another thing I get to look forward to.




FYI I've been running at 3333mhz with the stock cooler at normal voltage for a couple of days now. I ran core damage for more than 45 minutes and played some games--totally stable not even breaking a sweat.
 
Just wondering, have you tried resetting the cmos?
It just may reset the temp readings.
 
Just wondering, have you tried resetting the cmos?
It just may reset the temp readings.

Hmm ya know as obvious as that sounds I never even thought of it... I'll give it a shot! When I get a few minutes I'm playing games right now :)
 
Have you tried power cycling the mobo? I've had the temp sensor stuck on 0 deg. margin before on my DX38BT when I was overclocking. Cutting the power off completely from the mobo for a few minutes fixed it.


I tried booting into Windows at 4ghz and 1.475 volts on the stock Intel heatsink & fan. Bad idea. Destroyed the temperature probe and now my fans are running at full speed 100% of the time. I wonder what else I melted....
 
In the 3 years I been reading computer forums I never saw anyone bugger a cpu. This is as memorable to me as the guy who put his mobo in the oven "to see what would happen". Indeed try the "defect" excuse as suggested.
 
FYI I've been running at 3333mhz with the stock cooler at normal voltage for a couple of days now. I ran core damage for more than 45 minutes and played some games--totally stable not even breaking a sweat.

Tried it (166x20) w/ mine on the stock cooler all voltages stock. Cpu went up to 82C, 79C 78C, 76C across the cores and then BSOD'd. :(

Edit: Forgot to mention I used core damage to get those temps there. Stock speed I'm 77c, 75C, 74C, 72C across them. And people are seeing higher temps @ stock with their intel coolers... so I think mine's seated pretty good.
 
Back
Top