Ookla: Comcast Fastest ISP, T-Mobile Fastest Wireless Carrier

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Ookla, the developer behind speedtest.net, has crowned Comcast and T-Mobile as the best choices for speed: Comcast Xfinity narrowly topped Verizon’s FiOS service as the fastest broadband ISP, while T-Mobile just edged out Verizon Wireless as the fastest wireless carrier. The data reflected 26 million unique broadband users, performing over 111 million tests across Ookla’s service. In the mobile space, about 3 million unique devices were used to generate 14 million tests, generating a comprehensive look at how each service performed both nationwide and over time.

Comcast may be the fastest overall, but in certain areas, other competitors prevailed. In Southern regions like Texas and Florida, you’ll want to buy broadband service from Suddenlink. In Midwestern regions like Chicago and St. Louis, Mediacom provides the fastest broadband service, according to Ookla. In fact, Ookla also looked at the “winners” in major metropolitan areas, and found that Spectrum was the fastest in 24 of them, topping both Cox (19) and Comcast (18).

I have Northstate Communications which is a fiber company here locally. Works really good and have no complaints. I personally find using coax cable and the entire Docsis standard archaic. With fiber either it works or it doesn't. You don't get voltage drops like coax can.

I've never had a problem with Comcast and I'm getting ~370Mbps/30Mbps with my 300Mbps service. As much as I know they would love to put a strangle-hold on things, they're all I have that can put out in my area. AT&T appears to be trying to step up their game with fiber deployments, but I believe that AT&T and Comcast would rather collude than to compete. I can only hope that Google can progress in Nashville because this appears to have put some pressure on Comcast in the recent past.

All lies ... you guys can never believe anyone anymore.

I see nothing but 100MB/s on anything I do. Average is around 98 to 101+MB/s ..... above average 105MB/s - 110MB/s .... once in awhile, 115 - 125MB/s

Google Fiber has already been named the fastest IPS by Consumer Reports just recently.

https://www.pcmag.com/article/346232/the-fastest-isps-of-2016
https://www.pcmag.com/article/353936/the-fastest-isps-of-2017

Lot's of other stories out there.

djEVgRK.jpg

Why do the two gigabit services shown here have ratings of 2.5 and 2 stars each?
Pretty sure that rating is for the ISP. Typically, CenturyLink is on the terrible side. My sister in law and brother in law both have it, and it sucks. Their gigabit service on the other hand, is fricken amazing... run on an entirely different network.

T-Mobile is an amazing fucking company. So fucking quick and the service is amazing here in los angeles too.I had Verizon for FARRRRRRRRRRRRR TOO long. Fuck them. I can not believe how fast this shit is. Especially later this year when they roll out those lower frequencies, holy moly.

while it would be nice to have gigabit upload speeds as well, limitation of cable, i cant really complain since i get my internet pretty much free

"An independent company has something nice to say about a company I hate? They LIE!"

I wish I could get fiber, but my choices are: Comcast, or slow basic DSL. In other words, I don't have a choice.

I wish I could get fiber, but my choices are: Comcast, or slow basic DSL. In other words, I don't have a choice.

Welcome to the effin club ive been a part of for 11+ years now here in Los Angeles. Except I have fucking SHIT charter communications or basic DSL.

How the fuck do we not have FIBER in LOS ANGELES in 2017?

One of my greatest joys of moving to the new house was placing the cancellation call to Comcast. They were my only option for over 13 years. I had their Gigabit internet for almost a year before moving. Excellent download but horseshit upload speeds. Now on AT&T Fiber and am very happy.

upload_2017-9-10_21-44-34.png

I'm with T-Mo, too, so best of both worlds for me. (y)

I can't wait till I'm in area where I can get ATT or google fiber lol

Small areas I know

One of my greatest joys of moving to the new house was placing the cancellation call to Comcast. They were my only option for over 13 years. I had their Gigabit internet for almost a year before moving. Excellent download but horseshit upload speeds. Now on AT&T Fiber and am very happy.

View attachment 36126

I'm with T-Mo, too, so best of both worlds for me. (y)

So jealous lol. Lucky man.

Their tests are skewed, people with issues will make more tests skewing it towards that company, people who are happy with their fast internet speed don't bother doing tests.

calling bull on this...

No, Century Link Fiber really does have those speeds, with a lifetime no price increase, no data caps, and no hidden charges. I just switched from Cox. Located in Las Vegas, NV $85.00 month for 1000/1000 and $10.00 a month to rent modem or $100.00 to buy. You can also buy your own aftermarket equipment.

Last edited:
Not by any means going to defend Comcast especially with their stance on Net Neutrality.

However, where a live we have 2 main providers, centurylink/qwest and comcast. Aside from them there's Hughes and a few minor ones who essentially lease from centurylink. Hughes is freakishly expensive for simple 10-30Mbit connections and the minor providers can't really do much past 40Mbit. Had the CL/qwest thing for the last 10 years or so. I just switched to Comcast about 2 months ago because CL/qwest jacked my bill by more than $300 in a 12 month period for a 20Mbit connection. It went from $195 to over $236 in that time with no change in services. Just a notice every 30 days or so about something increasing slightly in the next month. I now have a 200Mbit connection and all the same bundles for $192 mo. Haven't hit a cap yet but we do stream a lot of 4k and FHD items plus the usual 50-200GB in game dl's per mo. from Steam/Origin. My only real complaint so far, comcast outtages seem to be a little more sensitive to extreme weather than the others. Otherwise, we're pretty happy.

In terms of speeds, it just like what I've always heard about comcast. When they're slammed you get less, when not you get more. I honestly usually average around 260-280Mbit but on a couple of occasions I've seen it drop to 180-190.

In my area TMobile is either fast or non-existent. I'd rather have consistently slower speeds than no data at all.

Comcast might suck on the service end of things, but I've been happy with my internet. Pretty much no issues in 10+ years all the while my speeds keep getting faster. They only suck when you have billing or service issues.

Ookla, the developer behind speedtest.net, has crowned Comcast and T-Mobile as the best choices for speed: Comcast Xfinity narrowly topped Verizon’s FiOS service as the fastest broadband ISP, while T-Mobile just edged out Verizon Wireless as the fastest wireless carrier. The data reflected 26 million unique broadband users, performing over 111 million tests across Ookla’s service. In the mobile space, about 3 million unique devices were used to generate 14 million tests, generating a comprehensive look at how each service performed both nationwide and over time.

Comcast may be the fastest overall, but in certain areas, other competitors prevailed. In Southern regions like Texas and Florida, you’ll want to buy broadband service from Suddenlink. In Midwestern regions like Chicago and St. Louis, Mediacom provides the fastest broadband service, according to Ookla. In fact, Ookla also looked at the “winners” in major metropolitan areas, and found that Spectrum was the fastest in 24 of them, topping both Cox (19) and Comcast (18).

I have FIOS Gigabit now and have had FIOS for a while and honestly would never go back to cable. Comcast is pretty bad in WDC area and speeds are very inconsistent but it's probably more of a cable fault in general. I have TMO and its decently fast but that too depends whether or not you're in metro area or not. Overall I can't complain about the speed and cost but I think my ATT work phone has faster LTE and is more consistent.

so, they are using speed tests to make this? i mean.. generally, i only do a speed test when im having issues to check.. not in the middle of things just working. besides getting new service also to check, i dont see a lot of people just randomly checking their connection speeds for shits and giggles. a few sure, but not too many

so i have to wonder then if things are not skewed a bit. one could also take it to mean that since comcast had such wide number of checks, it was also one having the most connection issues

It's all bullshit.

ISPs should be rated on their price/Mbps (upload and download). You can get 10Gbps run straight to your house, but who would pay the construction and monthly fees to get it there?

My point is, "the fastest internet" is as irrelevant as "the fastest car". The fastest at what task and at what cost?

TMO is really quite great. Their CEO is a riot with his twitter trolling of the competition.

I've got Frontier FiOS (redneck FiOS variant) as a result of Verizon pawning it off. Frontier customer service is good. And they've motivated Comcast to suck a little bit less around here. But Frontier is pretty much on the edge of bankruptcy and that would be sad. The place where they kill Comcast is in 1: no caps and 2: symmetrical speed. I've got 100/100 which is great when you share your Plex server with friends and family. But while I'm on a GPON circuit I doubt they'll ever off Gb speeds.

Speaking of which I think I need to rebuild it as a Threadripper rig. It's been running a quad core Xeon for over five years.

No, Century Link Fiber really does have those speeds, with a lifetime no price increase, no data caps, and no hidden charges. I just switched from Cox. Located in Las Vegas, NV $85.00 month for 1000/1000 and $10.00 a month to rent modem or $100.00 to buy. You can also buy your own aftermarket equipment.

*this* being that Comcast is the fastest provider.

the results shown are mine.

Welcome to the effin club ive been a part of for 11+ years now here in Los Angeles. Except I have fucking SHIT charter communications or basic DSL.

How the fuck do we not have FIBER in LOS ANGELES in 2017?

They are slowing and or cancelling fiber roll-out across the US for everyone.They do not want American's to cancel cable / cut cords. They would be cutting their own neck. There is too much money on the table for traditional pay cable schemes. Super Fast Internet plans is actually dying off now.

There is a lot of pressure now for Google Fiber to sell so they can ramp down the speeds and force people to come back to higher prices. There is a lot of pressure now against Netflix / Hulu etc.

Most American's will never see faster internet speeds than what they have now, projected speeds over the next decade are actually trending down, not up.

Last edited:
They are slowing and or cancelling fiber roll-out across the US for everyone.They do not want American's to cancel cable / cut cords. They would be cutting their own neck. There is too much money on the table for traditional pay cable schemes. Super Fast Internet plans is actually dying off now.

There is a lot of pressure now for Google Fiber to sell so they can ramp down the speeds and force people to come back to higher prices. There is a lot of pressure now against Netflix / Hulu etc.

Most American's will never see faster internet speeds than what they have now, projected speeds over the next decade are actually trending down, not up.

Interesting and that kind of lends itself to the FCC considering 3G as high speed.

Wow, what of a load shit this has become. WTF is wrong with these people. I truly hope that this does not become the case but I have little to no faith these days.

Interesting and that kind of lends itself to the FCC considering 3G as high speed.

Wow.

Verizon FIOS has been solid for me and I like the upload speeds over cable. My gigabit is a bit slower tonight lol, have a few streams up between youtube and MNF, but shouldn't hurt too much.

6616213324.png

so, they are using speed tests to make this? i mean.. generally, i only do a speed test when im having issues to check.. not in the middle of things just working. besides getting new service also to check, i dont see a lot of people just randomly checking their connection speeds for shits and giggles. a few sure, but not too many

so i have to wonder then if things are not skewed a bit. one could also take it to mean that since comcast had such wide number of checks, it was also one having the most connection issues
Comcast techs use ookla after you are hooked up to show you the speeds.

Back