On Bulldozer: If you're building a gaming PC, this is going to be the way to go.

AMD_Bulldozer_TEST_6M.jpg

Is that a belt buckle?

I bet that belt buckle was custom made for a some Texan.

Uhmmm, which journalist do I know from Texas that would have leaked this? ;)

If it performs well I will be throwing my money at AMD

Have to define "well"...
Right now I could walk into Microcenter (I know not everyone has MC close to them, I dont care...:cool: ) and get a 2500k/mobo combo for $250....
Considering the 8150 seems to perform somewhere between i5-2500 and i7-2600, and will cost over $300 (probably way over at first), just for the CPU, it's a big hmmmmmm for me...:confused:

Have to define "well"...
Right now I could walk into Microcenter (I know not everyone has MC close to them, I dont care...:cool: ) and get a 2500k/mobo combo for $250....
Considering the 8150 seems to perform somewhere between i5-2500 and i7-2600, and will cost over $300 (probably way over at first), just for the CPU, it's a big hmmmmmm for me...:confused:

Tell me how and why the 8150 will go for $300 or more.

Right now I could walk into Microcenter (I know not everyone has MC close to them, I dont care... ) and get a 2500k/mobo combo for $250....

Really? Sales off so you actually couldn't. You use a deeply discounted sales price at a store that there is not too many of and then you jack up the sales price by $50 of an unreleased processor. Avg. selling price of a 2500k is around $210, the recommended price of the 8150 is going to be around $250. Not to mention the motherboard is going to be more upgradeable on the AMD side. Prices are pretty much even.

Have to define "well"...

what? the 8150 seems to be positioned @ $230-$250 price range I thought.

If they do OC well, the 8150 is almost useless, the 8120 will probably hit the spot.

Tell me how and why the 8150 will go for $300 or more.

Ohh you got me.... Or did you??? Watch Newegg and tell me how much markup they'll charge when (if !!!!) they get BD line in store... Actually, places like Microcenter and Fry's will probably be the only once honoring the "retail" pricing, again, IF there is enough BD's to even ship to them... Still $250 CPU (BD) or $250 CPU/Mobo combo (SB).... Hmmmm....

BD is going to need to substantially faster specifically in games to warrant such a sensational title and quote.

translation probably missed the ....excellent cooling... part:cool:

Here is a snip from XF user that actually has BD, when asked if 5Ghz was stable:

no I'm on a H80 with slow fans, will hook it up to a decent air cooler with high speed fans. Hopefully on Friday cascade and then LN2 on Sunday

Well I can tell you what is written it says: an average tower HSF was used and the voltage around 1.47. They conclude by saying that the crosshair V is really stable

Well I can tell you what is written it says: an average tower HSF was used and the voltage around 1.47. They conclude by saying that the crosshair V is really stable

Awesome!!! For a $230 mobo....:eek: Hopefully they'll have $80 mobos that can do the same within the next few months.... :rolleyes:

i cannot wait till oct 12. bd will be out, real reviews and all of these bd threads will stop (right, i wish). bf3 threads are bad but bd has been going on for what, a year now?

we need sub forums for bd and bf3. mods?

lol year? try 3 or 4 years.. the original bulldozer was first announced in 2007/2008. but the final product isn't anything like what bulldozer was originally slated to be.

Awesome!!! For a $230 mobo....:eek: Hopefully they'll have $80 mobos that can do the same within the next few months.... :rolleyes:

there already are. you can get the gigabyte 880G boards for under 90 dollars and if the gigabyte 780/5G, am3 880G tells you anything it should do pretty damn well for its price point when it comes to overclocking.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128490

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up! Been looking to replace my Phenom II 940 in my HTCP with an FX-4100, but couldn't find a m-ATX 9 series board....I could deal with that 880G. However if October 12 comes and goes with only iOS-5 launching an i3 2100 may be in my HTPC's future.

there already are. you can get the gigabyte 880G boards for under 90 dollars and if the gigabyte 780/5G, am3 880G tells you anything it should do pretty damn well for its price point when it comes to overclocking.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128490[/QUOTE]

ah this thread explains the pic. so one of the pic was a press kit and the other is the amd retail box.

More news from XF tester:

"Single threaded apps are no good for BD
The more cores come into play the better it becomes... though this is not a real 8 core ofc...
Seems you need more Mhz (200-400) to get the +/- same cpc then Thuban (depending on app)...

Ocing is dead easy, NB 2600mhz (vs 2200 stock), no voltage increase needed (will try tomorrow 3000mhz)
It's all about MHz here to make up for inefficiency..."

So OCing maybe the only exciting thing about this CPU...

Something's not right.....That would be.....Stupid. Tonka BD?

thought the amd guy that roams the forums already said IPC was higher, but never went into details so assuming hes not lying that would make the above comments where you need 200-400mhz more seem sorta sketch unless there is something wrong with the cpu and something is crippling them.

I'm not expecting anything with BD, I'm on a Sandy at 5 g's but I hope it's at least competitive so it makes intel work harder and drives prices down. I figured it'd need more mhz to compensate.

IPC stands for Instructions per clock. It takes into account all cores. IPC won't tell us the IpCpC (Instructions per clock per core). If the IpCpC is lower than a phenom 9xx, but has more cores, that its IPC can still be higher. so, an AMD rep saying 'higher IPC' doesn't really tell us much.

so those early terrible previews and benchmarks were all wrong?...Bulldozer is not worse then Nehalem?

I don't take 'leaked' benches seriously as there are a number of reasons that they cannot be trusted, despite how 'legit' they claim to be...

but I still can't help but have my hopes lifted by seeing 'good' BD benches.

IPC stands for Instructions per clock. It takes into account all cores. IPC won't tell us the IpCpC (Instructions per clock per core). If the IpCpC is lower than a phenom 9xx, but has more cores, that its IPC can still be higher. so, an AMD rep saying 'higher IPC' doesn't really tell us much.

That may be true, but the common use is per core even if it isn't stated that way - but it is a good way for AMD to spin things, if they wanted to.

IPC refers to a single thread of execution. I've never heard it used in the context of summing all cores/threads.

we all knew already. fx will only be good in heavily threaded apps and games.

for most games made for consoles, optimized for dual core, triple core, FX will suck vs core i5

Also aren't games that are PC first are far more demanding on the GPU, especially for [H] resolutions? Why didn't they use a i5 2500k instead of an i5 965? Waiting for reviews as I promised my current phenom ii to my friend, and I'm waiting to be surprised by AMD, Especially with the 4.5 2500k vs the 5.5 FX reviews. Still leaning i5 though.

FX-4170 looks really interesting 4.2Ghz base clock. For OC potential and gaming performance this may be the top chip to get. If the 8 core variant can reach well above 5Ghz on air, this one may reach even more.

You'll also get most L3 cache per core with it (2Mb). And if FX-8150 is ~$250 this guy will probably be sub $200, maybe even less than $150.

FX-4170 will be the king of low-mid mainstream.

Last edited:
More news from XF tester:

"Single threaded apps are no good for BD
The more cores come into play the better it becomes... though this is not a real 8 core ofc...
Seems you need more Mhz (200-400) to get the +/- same cpc then Thuban (depending on app)...

Ocing is dead easy, NB 2600mhz (vs 2200 stock), no voltage increase needed (will try tomorrow 3000mhz)
It's all about MHz here to make up for inefficiency..."

So OCing maybe the only exciting thing about this CPU...

That's pretty much what carried the whole Phenom 2 line. Get some low latency memory, crank the cpu-nb to 3ghz and crank the cpu 4ghz+. It actually became pretty competitive with the lynnfield and under. The same thing applied for Thuban and bloomfield.

If this competes ~2600k their mission is accomplished. They'll have a competitive platform in the segment that moves the most volume and a solid upgrade from their previous cpu.

I feel the AMD boards are always of higher quality in their respective price ranges and even more so in the lower end segment. The really high-end Intel boards usually have the same feature set of their FX series which is ~$200.

It won't come close to SB-E but it doesn't need too. These same chips will also make them loads of cash in the server space.

Ivy Bridge vs. Trinity/Piledriver is when things will get interesting. If GloFo and TSMC can get their shit together.

Back