On Bulldozer: If you're building a gaming PC, this is going to be the way to go.

sirmo

Gawd
http://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/l2g82/im_just_gonna_say_it/

I'm sitting in on a press briefing for AMD Bulldozer right now, and while everything is embargoed, I will say this: If you're building a gaming PC, this is going to be the way to go.

One of the editors from http://icrontic.com/

Edit: Now that we know what the benchmarks really look like. Title should read.

If you're building a gaming PC and you live in a cold climate in a house with insufficient heating, and you can't find an Intel chip in the store, give Bulldozer a try.

Last edited:
i cannot wait till oct 12. bd will be out, real reviews and all of these bd threads will stop (right, i wish). bf3 threads are bad but bd has been going on for what, a year now?

we need sub forums for bd and bf3. mods?

If Bulldozer is at all competitive I will not hesitate to drop money on a box for FaH (folding).

Aw c'mon Kyle

ya ... so wish I could have read what he wrote there ...

my question with the ops quote ...
is.

Does the quote imply
1. best bang for the buck for gaming ie say it competes but doesnt take over intel
2. is better then what intel is currently offering (which obviously would be better and IMO worthy of a statement as above).

if it whups up on intel I'll amost have to have a Keanu Reeves whoa moment.

I will know next week when i buy one. Have to update my 990FX-UD7 review....

ya ... so wish I could have read what he wrote there ...

my question with the ops quote ...
is.

Does the quote imply
1. best bang for the buck for gaming ie say it competes but doesnt take over intel
2. is better then what intel is currently offering (which obviously would be better and IMO worthy of a statement as above).

If you read the comments on the reddit page he implies that his statement was not related to price but to the features/performance.

Man I've been waiting forever for this thing I've got the following waiting specifically for this:

corsair h100
Asus Sabertooth 990fx
8GB 1600 ddr3
240GB vertex3
1tb hitachi sataII 7200 (steam install)
2 x unlocked 6950/70
x-fi HD

Now just gimme the dang processor AMD!

If you read the comments on the reddit page he implies that his statement was not related to price but to the features/performance.

ahh first time I tried to pull up the link I got some error ... I read it now. Ya quite interesting what he wrote.

Here is what the AMD’s FX Bulldozer Press Kit looks like..

0aee0_whole_01.jpg

0aee0_whole_03-635x476.jpg

I think it might be some custom hardware/driver logic which works with AMD-ATI cards to provide even more acceleration. When a game becomes GPU limited, there are still cycles in the CPU you can use. But do not expect anything fancy since they make quite a bundle on the GPUs.

Also this feature might be the reason we have been seeing 2500k go down in price (e.g. the Microcenter deal @ 150) and Intel's 2700K launch to maintain the performance lead.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a link to a google cached copy of what Kyle said? I never got to read it.

Here is what the AMD’s FX Bulldozer Press Kit looks like..

0aee0_whole_01.jpg

0aee0_whole_03-635x476.jpg

Will see that on eBay in 3... 2... 1...

In all seriousness, I can't wait to read the reviews on this. Regardless how much bad press AMD has gotten for its delays (and the "colorful" commentary and arguments on forums like [H]), it's definitely a processor to look forward to. I'd like to see how it compares to the Phenom series and how these new modules perform. Hopefully better.

I hope the quote wasn't in reference to the comparison slide between BD and the Intel 980X.

"I'm sitting here listening to God speak, and although I can't tell you what he's saying, you better straighten the fuck out."

I already called it!

With the AMD stock at a 52 week low now is the time to buy and last chance before it goes to the moon!

Believe it or not...

Cinebench 10 ST
FX-8150 : 4074
2500k/2600K : 5800
i7-965 : 4900

Cinebench 10 MT
FX-8150 : 20615
2500k : 18615
2600k : 22615

Cinebench 11.5 MT
FX-8150 : 6.01
2500k : 5.37
2600K : 6.75
i7-965 : 5.73

3DMark Vantage CPU Score :
FX-8150 : 19119
2600K : 22500

3DMark Vantage Total Score :
FX-8150 : 21949
2600K : 25500

3DMark 11 Total Score :
FX-8150 : 6616
2600K/i7 965 : 7385

Dirt 3
FX-8150 : 105avg/75min
i7-965 : 93avg/71min

Mafia II
FX-8150 : 68.3 avg
i7-965 : 76 avg

Far Cry II
FX-8150 : 111avg/23min
i7-965 : 126avg/75min

If games don't more than two cores and bulldozer trades blows in games with the 965 then I don't think the other scores reflect that. I call bullshit until I hear it from Kyle.

"We have found that 5 GHz is feasible with excellent all four modules are enabled (eight cores so)."

They have my attention.

Bring out the Foldozer!

translation probably missed the ....excellent cooling... part:cool:

Here is a snip from XF user that actually has BD, when asked if 5Ghz was stable:

no I'm on a H80 with slow fans, will hook it up to a decent air cooler with high speed fans. Hopefully on Friday cascade and then LN2 on Sunday

Isn't "press briefing" just code for "I'm listening to these marketing guys blow smoke up my ass"? Of course the press briefing is going to tell you it is great - just think about all those slanted marketing slides/comparisons that get released before every new launch. Third-party testing is the only way to go - and hopefully we'll start seeing stuff soon if there are chips in the wild.

Back