• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OMG! Clean that keyboard!

RagingSamster

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Jun 6, 2003
Messages
3,157
I was board Sunday morning and decided that it would be a great time to clean the keyboard...

After removing the screws from the bottom I was looking for a screwdriver to pop the caps off. The screwdriver actually sucked, but a PC card slot cover (to the lower right in the image below) works awesome!

keyboard0.JPG


It does not look too bad from a distance, but if you get close,,,,

keyboard1.jpg


OK it's a "fuzzy" keyboard :p

keyboard2.jpg


No, it's a chunky keyboard!

After I spent some quality time with the keyboard inverted scrubbing with a toothbrush it's finished and it looked like this

keyboard3.JPG


All back together and it doesn't feel chunky anymore!.

keyboard4.JPG


Note the pack of marboro lights in the top picture - I quit smoking a year ago and that pack was given to me by a friend who got it from Mexico and the warning on the back has a picture of a pre-me baby hooked up to all sorts of equipment - quite eye opening
 
I had a standard dell crappy keyboard full of crumbs and junk. I removed all the keys, then removed the screws from the back and separted the keyboard in 2 pieces, then I look out the ps/2 cord. After I did that I stuck my keyboard in the dishwasher, while I let all the keys soak in hot water. It took like 10 minutes out of my time and it was worth. From that day on I never ate by my computer again.
 
i'm hungry now for some reason....

I havn't smoked in 9 months... I think I am going to get me a pack. Looking at that dirty keyboard just stressed me out. Thanks.
 
UltimaParadox said:
Eat a lot near your computer :p


dude you havent been gaming much... thats a keyboard where you turn it upside down at 3am, and eat the dust that comes out. Keyboards double as a snack machine. :D
 
Bullitt said:
dude you havent been gaming much... thats a keyboard where you turn it upside down at 3am, and eat the dust that comes out. Keyboards double as a snack machine. :D

I have been to plenty of LANs, but besides the drink near the computer I try not to eat right above the keyboard
 
UltimaParadox said:
I have been to plenty of LANs, but besides the drink near the computer I try not to eat right above the keyboard

I push in my keyboard tray to eat, and mine's still like that!
 
wow, i hope all of you will learn once this optimus keyboard comes about

specially if it is more than 100 bucks
 
I put mine in the dishwasher.
no, I'm not kidding.
I give it a good couple shakes upside down to get loose stuff out, then throw it in the the top brackets.
When I take it out, I put it upside down on a couple paper towels to dry for at least 24 hours.
Ive seen pics of people washing stuff like arcade motherboards with big brushes and garden hoses, I figured what the hell..at max I buy a new kb.
I've washed several so far and never had a problem. I probably wouldnt wash one that had a screen of some kind in it, but otherwise, go for it.
 
This thread inspired me to clean mine:

dsc002081qr.jpg


I lost one of the rubber things but I have a bi-lingual keyboard :p so it has one extra button that I never use.
 
back when i had a crappy standard dell keyboard,i would allow my cat to sleep on it and once i got my new one i decided to have some fun with the dell (meaning i beat the shit out of it) and when i looked inside, there were hairballs everywhere lol. so i no longer allow my cat to sleep on keyboards.
 
Saturday is keyboard cleaning time! Maybe that'll help with the sticking issues..lol. :p
 
i gotta do that, but i have the saitek eclipse, do you think there would be any problems with the LED's?
 
Is it just me or is the space bar the hardest part of putting the keyboard back together. I can almost never get it back on properly.
 
my keyboard tray is full of crumbs and dust bunnies, i'd be afraid to see what's hiding underneath my keys. luckily for me though, i use an old ass IBM clicky keyboard, so it's durable as hell. it's going to take more than some crumbs to take this keyboard out of commission.
 
My old logitech KB looked like that after 2-3 years of good use, i could of sworn something was living in there.
 
noobtech said:
whynot just used canned air.

There's a novel idea - get rid of the nastiness in the keyboard by displacing it all over your room with a concentrated charge of air!
 
Dillusion said:
My old logitech KB looked like that after 2-3 years of good use, i could of sworn something was living in there.
i had one start leaking baby spiders one year. just all of a sudden one night i was online and kept getting baby spiders crawling up my arms.. needless to say i raided that KB.

I fricken hate spiders.
 
Stellar said:
There's a novel idea - get rid of the nastiness in the keyboard by displacing it all over your room with a concentrated charge of air!

yea i have to agree, nothing beats discharging all the nasty shit in your keyboard into the air you breathe and the floor that i probably just cleaned.
 
Why clean your keyboard... just buy a new one! lol, thats what i do at least :rolleyes:
 
well when your keyboards start costing 50$ and up you won't want to throw them out like used tissue. My secondary rig's keyboard is like that, one of those 10$ cookie cutter models, but i like my eclipse, the lighted keys actually do something for me, although i havent had to look at the keyboard since i was 12 :D , but being able to see funky keys like the insert/delete/pageupdown island and the f keys are nifty, and it just looks cool i admit it :cool:
 
greatest keyboard ever :) yea i do the same thing every couple months or so, keeps it from building up. i also soak the keys in hot water for a while then use a qtip to clean them.
 
RagingSamster said:
Note the pack of marboro lights in the top picture - I quit smoking a year ago and that pack was given to me by a friend who got it from Mexico and the warning on the back has a picture of a pre-me baby hooked up to all sorts of equipment - quite eye opening

Now that's pretty damn cool
 
I know my wireless needs to be cleaned. I can actually hear little balls of solder rolling around on the inside. Myst have fallen in there when I was doing soldering. :p
 
By the time it takes a dirty up a keyboard, it's not worth keeping. I just buy a new one.
 
JLGatsby said:
By the time it takes a dirty up a keyboard, it's not worth keeping. I just buy a new one.

Not at the rate these new KB's are coming out, getting shittyer and shittyer. The old logitech KB's from the MX700 and MX900 mouse combo series were AWESOME keyboards with perfect keys etc etc. New keyboards are cheap plastic non-weighted pieces of poop (Aside from the higher models like the G15 or the Saitek's). So theyre worth cleaning out!

flynlr said:
i had one start leaking baby spiders one year. just all of a sudden one night i was online and kept getting baby spiders crawling up my arms.. needless to say i raided that KB.

I fricken hate spiders.

And lol @ that! I hate spiders too, i would have gone nuts and doused the KB with every chemical in my APT.
 
The nasty thing is, a lot of the 'dirt' is dead skin. But, the most gross keyboard(s) I've EVER seen belonged to a neighbour who smoked at his keyboard! The keyboard was covered in ash, soot and all held together by traces of tar from the cigarettes. Pure nastiness.
 
Dillusion said:
Not at the rate these new KB's are coming out, getting shittyer and shittyer. The old logitech KB's from the MX700 and MX900 mouse combo series were AWESOME keyboards with perfect keys etc etc. New keyboards are cheap plastic non-weighted pieces of poop (Aside from the higher models like the G15 or the Saitek's). So theyre worth cleaning out!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7332059&type=product&id=1122653022021

IMO Logitech keyboards were always cheap(ly made) compared to Microsoft keyboards.
 
Back
Top