OLED Unlikely To Replace LED

You mean besides Plasma's thickness, higher weight, lower brightness, reflective screens, higher power usage, and power supplies that kept crapping out. Other than that, plasmas are great!
Thickness never bothered me because any tv today is miles better than the tube tv's of yesterday. Plus my LG plasma which is about 2 years old now is pretty thin.
Weight never mattered to me because it sits on my stand and im not lifting it everyday
Lower brightness and refletive screens are true, but my living room is kinda dark so its never really an issue and i personally like the shiny screens over ones with a matte finish
Power useage is much higher i agree but its not break the bank higher, and haven had any issues with mine crapping out. Although my dads samsung plasma that he got back in 2009 had to be repaired back in like 2012 for a faulty power unit other than that its still kicking.

To add to this.

My Vive VR headset came with instructions not to allow daylight to shine on the OLEDs even when off as it will reduce lifespan.
If this isnt just a problem with heat (IR) or high f. blue light (UV), it indicates that the light from each OLED and adjacent OLEDs will wear each other out as they are used.
Possibly all 3 issues.

OLED phones have filters over the display.
Do OLED TVs have a darker looking filter or a coloured filter?

I think that's mostly because the vive has a fresnel lens in front of the displays, direct sunlight would literally make them catch fire/melt

The lense focus on the eye not the screen.
The light shining on the fresnel will be spread wider.

I had a Panasonic Plasma - it had a good picture and nice black. Problem - the damn thing failed about 3 months out of the warranty. I replaced it with an LED. That was about 4 years ago - to this day, I still note that the LED I have is not as good as the Plasma. Even the wife commented on this - she rarely says much tech related.
Yes! I have a Panasonic plasma and I simply shrug my shoulders when a friend of mine was bragging about how amazing 4k led looks. His panel was not color accurate. Motion clarity was garbage an unnatural compared to my Panny, and black levels were just sad in a dim lit scene. It is a shame that LCD is still hanging on. I believe the manufactures know they can make a better panel to end all panels. The perfect picture, but this means they cannot roll out a new incremental upgrade of there same monitor yearly to get that cash grab. I will rock my CRT and Plasma to the grave and pray for better black levels and motion in the future.

Plasma was much better than LCD and often cheaper in the end and it still failed because manufacturers wanted to keep their LCD business intact so marketing was non existant. Also, people just don't care about picture quality. I can see an LCD a mile away, no side-by-side comparison is needed to see how absolutely shitty it is, no matter the TV cost. The amount of times I've entered people's homes and saw their TV set on dynamic-ultra-neon-mega-processing-eye bleeding settings...They just don't care.

No, PLASMA was expensive to produce and it also suffers from the lifespan issue as it is essentially a giant CCFL bulb. Plasma also run very HOT compared to LCDs. They also contain hazardous materials that can be easily released into the atmosphere

OLED and PLASMA have superior color reproduction for sure but the downsides relegate them to not enjoying wide spread usage

When you hear about OLED and PLASMA lifespan that is the number of hours that it takes before the unit reaches half of the brightness of a new unit .

No, PLASMA was expensive to produce and it also suffers from the lifespan issue as it is essentially a giant CCFL bulb. Plasma also run very HOT compared to LCDs. They also contain hazardous materials that can be easily released into the atmosphere

OLED and PLASMA have superior color reproduction for sure but the downsides relegate them to not enjoying wide spread usage

When you hear about OLED and PLASMA lifespan that is the number of hours that it takes before the unit reaches half of the brightness of a new unit .
I had a 2008 Panasonic Plasma that used around 300W when on. It was warm enough to heat my feet on the screen but it wasnt hot.
It isnt one of the newer low power versions that use less than 1/2 that power. They dont run hot.

Despite this, it was silent in use, didnt suffer any burn in (mixed PC/TV use) and looked fantastic.
The panel is rated for 100,000 hrs. No lifespan isse here, the opposite!
I gave it away and it is still like new despite still being used heavily for PC and gaming.
My Dad has a larger version of the same Plasma and his is still perfect as well.

I agree with some of your points, it isnt cheap to produce and it also doesnt scale easily to denser high res.
That was Plasmas nemesis.
They are not reasons to avoid a Plasma.

If you want a 1080p display, I highly, HIGHLY recommend one of the newer lower power models.
And if you dont care about power use, the 8 year old models are worth a look. But take a look first in case its had abuse.
You can wreck any type of display.

The same for any type of display, it is a standard metric.

To summarize.

Someone claimed that plasma has superior image quality compared to LCD. You then disagree, argue a bunch of things not relevant to image quality, and then ultimately agree that image quality is superior on plasma. What was the point?

To summarize.

Someone claimed that plasma has superior image quality compared to LCD. You then disagree, argue a bunch of things not relevant to image quality, and then ultimately agree that image quality is superior on plasma. What was the point?

did you get confused? I never said inferior image quality...

I said:

exactly where did I disagree with image quality? I specifically cited cost vs. LCD, heat, lifespan, and hazardous materials (PLASMA).

I still use a big Panny plasma.

Good blacks, great motion, good color, no burn in and at this point very, very limited image retention. My g/f even tried to kill it by leaving the chromecast clock on screen when she went to work the other day.

It does run warm, and I'm sure it probably costs a few more dollars a year to run, but heck, it looks great and is paid for.

I still use a big Panny plasma.

Good blacks, great motion, good color, no burn in and at this point very, very limited image retention. My g/f even tried to kill it by leaving the chromecast clock on screen when she went to work the other day.

It does run warm, and I'm sure it probably costs a few more dollars a year to run, but heck, it looks great and is paid for.
Same here. I still run a 52" 720p panasonic plasma. For a while, I wanted to upgrade to a full hd tv, but I just use it for watching movies and the 720p really still looks fine on bluray and Netflix. I'll probably just hold out until the dang thing stops working -- if it ever does.

Same here. I still run a 52" 720p panasonic plasma. For a while, I wanted to upgrade to a full hd tv, but I just use it for watching movies and the 720p really still looks fine on bluray and Netflix. I'll probably just hold out until the dang thing stops working -- if it ever does.

I was hoping to do something similar, but last week it started dying. Probably a surge or something as my computer speaker's sub blew too (stupid cheap UPS). Well, I guess it's time to find out how well LG's latest OLED works. This scares me, as I'm not quite sure they're ready for primetime, especially at their cost, but I can't really tolerate LCDs.

ROFL... Do you even know what plasma is?

yes and plasma TV's typically contain mercury vapor...

and some even have phosphors as well... so might want to read up a tad bit before you go insulting someone.... jus' sayin'....

The same for any type of display, it is a standard metric.

yes but with most LCD the light module can be replaced (not that I would unless I was repurposing the panel)

and some even have phosphors as well... so might want to read up a tad bit before you go insulting someone.... jus' sayin'....
Your post clearly states that you think the plasma is hazardous so that's precisely what I addressed. Of course the TV doesn't contain plasma in it so I'm not really sure exactly what you're trying to say. Maybe you should do that little bit of reading. jus' sayin'

yes but with most LCD the light module can be replaced (not that I would unless I was repurposing the panel)

So don't point out that a state of matter(which is what plasma is), is somehow toxic. That's like saying liquids are toxic when you really meant bleach.

LCD TVs look like shit. OLED TVs are too damned expensive, I dread the day my plasma TV dies.

OLED might be nicer, but from what I hear, the main issue is that it suffers screen burn like old CRT and plasma.

As such, I think people will still gravitate towards LCD.

I've had a plasma for many years now and I haven't noticed any burnin.

That being said, yea, I want a 32 to 34 inch curved OLED for a gaming monitor.

Doesn't exist tho

Unless the backlight dies within warranty, this isnt something you would entertain.
So it becomes a moot point.

Unless the backlight dies within warranty, this isnt something you would entertain.
So it becomes a moot point.

no, not really as they are extremely easy to change. I do it on old laptops all the time and have done it on a few TVs as well

no, not really as they are extremely easy to change. I do it on old laptops all the time and have done it on a few TVs as well
"you" being the general public. What ^you do isnt a wide practise.
I dont know anyone who has had an LCD backlight changed on either TV, monitor or laptop.
By the time they become unusable, its time to replace them and being so old, unworn replacement parts would be scarce.

Careful bro, you know those cfl light tubes are filled with mercury vapor.

Plasma TVs aren't. Fact checking is a thing you know...

So, like did a plasma TV kick your dog or something?

This LCD/plasma discussion is silly. LCDs are better for static images and work. Plasma TVs have better contrast and motion. LCDs are still in production. Plasmas aren't. You can't buy a recently produced, new plasma.

(Mortal Combat Voice) LCDs win. Fatality.

Plasmas use aborted foetuses for plasma! That's why they can't make them any more since China cracked down on it.

Plasma screens were actually cheaper than somewhat comparable LCDs. The lowest junk was cheaper but any LCD with passable PQ was more expensive and still bad in comparison. Lifespan issue was a non-problem for years. Sure, if you were crazy and watched it 8 hours a day it would only take 34 years to have a halving of brightness. Serious problem indeed.

It ran hotter but not to the point of being a problem for 99% of potential users. I release more hazardous materials with one fart than all my plasmas combined during their lifetime.

Plasma has an advantage in every major PQ aspect: contrast, motion, blacks, colors.

Yeah dont know where the more expensive part came from, maybe when they first came out. But when i was selling TV's back in 2009-2010 plasmas were always the cheaper route over LCD and LED

Plasma screens were actually cheaper than somewhat comparable LCDs. The lowest junk was cheaper but any LCD with passable PQ was more expensive and still bad in comparison. Lifespan issue was a non-problem for years. Sure, if you were crazy and watched it 8 hours a day it would only take 34 years to have a halving of brightness. Serious problem indeed.

It ran hotter but not to the point of being a problem for 99% of potential users. I release more hazardous materials with one fart than all my plasmas combined during their lifetime.

Plasma has an advantage in every major PQ aspect: contrast, motion, blacks, colors.

I don't remember Plasma ever being cheaper than LCD. I have an LCD because it was cheaper than plasma. No other reason. IIRC I bought in 2009-2010.

It was hundreds of dollars cheaper than a similar plasma.

I don't remember Plasma ever being cheaper than LCD. I have an LCD because it was cheaper than plasma. No other reason. IIRC I bought in 2009-2010.

It was hundreds of dollars cheaper than a similar plasma.

They actually were cheaper more often as time went by, especially in bigger sizes. I guess there were always bargain bin LCD models, but those I wouldn't really consider or recommend even to LCD buyers.

They actually were cheaper more often as time went by, especially in bigger sizes. I guess there were always bargain bin LCD models, but those I wouldn't really consider or recommend even to LCD buyers.

Actually there were so many LCDs that decent brand names ones were always going on sale, so you really didn't have to resort to the bargain bin to get cheaper than Plasmas.

LCD, LED, Plasma, shoot I am still hanging with a Sony XBR910 hdcrt. I can afford a new TV if it came down to it, but this Super Fine Pitch CRT display is pretty sweet. I use it as a console gaming display for the most part. Zero input lag, zero motion blur, excellent contrast, beautiful colors and it has a depth to the image quality that flat panels just lack. The one area it is falling behind is resolution. It is 1080i . The other weak point is geometry distortion which is only apparent when viewing graphs or something like inventory screens. I am kind of dreading the day it finally dies. The only screens I have watched that come close to the 910 in image quality are OLED. But they are all too big and expensive. This 34 inch is big enough for my small space, 50 inch is way too big.

Back