OLED response time

Hielo_loco

Weaksauce
Hi everybody!

I wanted to ask the all knowing gods at the HardForum a question! :D

I have been looking at the reviews of these awesome OLED tvs from LG. The reviews state that the response time for these monitors is one millisecond, due to OLED pixels being inherently fast in that respect.

Just out of curiosity, would G-Sync/Freesync be needed in such a screen? I would guess, in my current ignorance on the subject matter, that the screen refreshes so fast that tearing and lag would not be an issue. Or am I mixing something up in here?

Does anybody here have one of those TVs? If so, 1) I envy you, and 2) have you tried pc gaming on it? Have you had good results regarding the usual v-sync problems?

Tearing is caused by VSYNC being disabled which causes partial frames to be rendered.

GSync adjusts the refresh rate on the fly so you get full frames at you actual frame rate. For example if you are playing a game at 59fps on a 60hz displays, one of the frames gets rendered twice which can lead to stutter.

Neither of these would be affected by fast OLED refresh rates.

But do you think that normal V-Sync would actually cut it, given that with such a response time the monitor would never be behind the gpu?

I'm sorry if my questions are dumb! :p I'm just curious about the topic.

But do you think that normal V-Sync would actually cut it, given that with such a response time the monitor would never be behind the gpu?

I'm sorry if my questions are dumb! :p I'm just curious about the topic.

Even with VSYNC, you still get stuttering because the fixed monitor refresh rate will display frames multiple times and other frames a single time (unless you have enough performance to always maintain your monitors refresh rate).

Ahhhhh... ok got it! :D

So G-Sync/Freesync fixes the refresh rate issue. Understood. Pixel response time is a whole other beast.

So a G-Sync/Freesync OLED panel would *in theory* solve all screen lag problems? The thing is, I have seen how IPS monitors are not deemed good for gaming because of their higher response times than TN Panels. What are people referring to in this respect?

I don't think you should care about pixel response time or refresh rate. Think about input lag instead, these tv's probably have at least 30ms.

OLED displays have response times far below 1ms. LG's OLED TVs use sample-and-hold though, so motion resolution is pretty much the same as similar LCDs.

The only people taking advantage of OLED's extremely fast response time to reduce motion blur are Oculus, to my knowledge.

without strobing this super fast OLED refresh time is pretty much useless when it comes to motion clarity. It will be better than VA TV's but not much better than 1-2ms TN in 60Hz

I don't agree....no blur from the monitor not being able to keep up at least. Pixels will change states instantaneously as far as we're concerned, whether the pixels are steady or flicker like CRTs. There's no gray-to-gray measurements or transition time to worry about where certain colors take longer to change than others, in spite of what the "official" LCD response time says.

I don't think you should care about pixel response time or refresh rate. Think about input lag instead, these tv's probably have at least 30ms.

Yeah, this.

The pixel response time is only part of the equation. In 99% of cases pixel response time is greatly over-shadowed by signal processing time. As LG's OLED TVs are aimed at an audience of non-gamers, image quality/processing is given a greater focus over input latency.

OLED's are super fast pixels, ~sub .1 ms. The problem is brightness. They aren't very bright so you have to use sample and hold. That's where most motion blur comes from so it's a catch 22. OLED's super fast pixels are castrated.

Once OLED's get bright enough to strobe short duration, it will have incredible motion clarity.

I have the EC9300 OLED. There is motion blur due to sample and hold but it looks much cleaner than any LCD I've seen, no ghosting trails or bleed on fast moving objects.

I do most of my gaming on it, and yes, VSync is still needed. I also have a LG UM95 (3440x1440) monitor but the experience of gaming on the OLED is far better, despite being 'only' 1080p. Better contrast just makes more of an impact. It's honestly spoiled me and I find it hard to go back to LCD.

I highly recommend anyone that has $2K to spend, to forget 4K and just pick one of these up.

Back