Official PS5 Thread

Demon's Souls (both versions) = still the only Souls game I've ever played on a console.

I picked up Dark Souls 3 for PS4 ---- which plays in a PS5 via backwards compatibility and activates the PS4 pro patch (which the PS5 utilizes to run the game at a constant 60fps). And surprisingly, it feels noticeably snappier (lower input lag) compared to PC and doesn't have the weird issues where certain spots will hitch for no apparent reason. (like in the swampy puddle, right after you start the game). Looks like I'm gonna start a fresh playthrough. feels so good.

Setting Nvidia's low latency mode to "ultra" helps. But the input lag still isn't as good as this.
Update on this. I felt determined to figure out how to get better input latency for Dark Souls 3 with a controller on PC. In this specific case, a PS5 controller.

Berfore this post, I had been using a PS5 controller connect via USB cable + extension. And utilizing Steam input's built in features for the PS5 controller.

------
First of all, turn on the low latency feature of your graphics card. If you have Nvidia, set it to "Ultra". Nvidia's Ultra setting makes a notable difference in Dark Souls 3.

Then, pair your PS5 controller to your PC with bluetooth (I was using a USB cable, before). Sony's controllers are actually known to have lower latency over Bluetooth VS. using a cable.
Then you have to set it up with DS4Windows as an emulated Xbox 360 controller. However, under the profile settings, there is an "other" tab and in here, you will find polling rate settings for dualshock 4 (DS4Windows ultimately treats a Dualsense as a Dualshock 4). Set the polling rate to 1000 or to "max".

Make sure to press the "save" button or the change won't activate.

This got me REALLY close to the input latency of Dark Sous 3 on my PS5. The PS5 is still a bit snappier. but this is a whole lot better.

*note: some games feature their own support for dualshock 4 (an example is Subnautica: Below Zero). For those games, its probably best to set the DS4Windows profile to be a DS4 controller. Instead of emulating an Xbox 360 controller.
Demon's Souls (both versions) = still the only Souls game I've ever played on a console.
I was there from the start. I played Demon's Souls on PS3, via an Asian region import, months before it released in North America.
I actually don't own the remake on PS5. I played soooo much Demon's Souls and remember it so clearly, I didn't really feel like playing the remake.

Dark Souls I played on PS3. And then I double dipped for the Prepare To Die edition on PC.
I also own the Switch port of the Dark Souls remaster. Which actually has a lot less visual changes than the other versions. But has most/all of the changes under the hood to items, covenants, etc.

Dark Souls 2 I have actually never played on a console. I bought it on PC at launch (so I had to wait a month or two after the console launch). And then I double dipped for the Scholar of the First Sin edition, on PC.

Dark Souls 3 I bought on PC. I never owned a PS4 or Xbox one, so I didn't have a console to possibly play it on. And then just recently, I double dipped and got the PS4 version, to play on my PS5.

Last edited:
PlayStation VR- Live The Game

Can't say I was particularly impressed with anything they showed there except the Moss sequel. That's more just because it's super unique. I guess maybe Wanderer, although it looks like a game from 12 years ago.
I'm ready to see what the PSVR2 brings to the table.

Really starting to dig into the PS5 version of FF VII Remake (due to the PC version being a bit of a mess) and really enjoying it now. Once I started to think of the combat as more Dragon Age Inquisition-lite and played it more like that - combat's become a lot more enjoyable.

Game also performs well - I tried 'Quality' setting, but that was way too slow. Performance runs great, though.

Starting Wednesday, FF7 Remake PS4 version, which was redeemed as a free game through Playstation Plus-----will be upgradeable for free, to the PS5 version.

That sucks because I bought it separately for full price when I got my PS5. I got my money’s worth though so I can’t complain.

Starting Wednesday, FF7 Remake PS4 version, which was redeemed as a free game through Playstation Plus-----will be upgradeable for free, to the PS5 version.
I thought this happened back in December? That's when I upgraded my free PS+ version to the PS5 version at least

I thought this happened back in December? That's when I upgraded my free PS+ version to the PS5 version at least
It was a big deal at certain places of the internet and has never officially been upgradeable. However....I don't have the PS+ version myself. So I do not have first hand experience (I bought the PS4 disc version used). But, officially speaking, the PS+ free version is supposed to have only been upgradeable since Feb 16th.

Man that Corsair MP600 LPX SSD is amaze balls. Everyone should get a 7.1 G/s SSD on the PS4. Just great for downloading, load times and everything else.

I expected the controllers to look (mostly) like that, but it's a relief to actually see them. Having dual analogs + a bunch of buttons/triggers on each is great. That should allow for vastly better movement. With the current PSVR, it's either clumsy or you have to just use a normal gamepad.

wait... you don't get full access to full current gen games? how does that even remotely compare to gamepass then?
Sony said that they don't want to "devalue" their games. That was their excuse initially for not making a Game Pass competitor. Now they feel like they're forced to do it based on Microsoft's subscription numbers, but they're not happy about it.

Sony said that they don't want to "devalue" their games. That was their excuse initially for not making a Game Pass competitor. Now they feel like they're forced to do it based on Microsoft's subscription numbers, but they're not happy about it.
Is PSNow not their gamepass competitor?

Is PSNow not their gamepass competitor?
PS Now had very limited availability of new releases. I think the first Spider-Man game was only available on it for like a month. It seems its primary purpose was to appease people who wanted backward compatibility on the PS4, as it had a lot more PS3 games available. I know later on they enabled downloading a local copy to run on some games, but it was still primarily served as a streaming service. On the new game front it seems like the deal is actually getting worse.

I think the framing of Spartacus as some kind of Game Pass competitor is misguided. Seems to me that they are just changing it to a download service instead of a streaming service. It's a good change, as lag was always pretty bad on PS Now, but I hardly think it will challenge Game Pass with features and availability.

PS Now had very limited availability of new releases. I think the first Spider-Man game was only available on it for like a month. It seems its primary purpose was to appease people who wanted backward compatibility on the PS4, as it had a lot more PS3 games available. I know later on they enabled downloading a local copy to run on some games, but it was still primarily served as a streaming service. On the new game front it seems like the deal is actually getting worse.

I think the framing of Spartacus as some kind of Game Pass competitor is misguided. Seems to me that they are just changing it to a download service instead of a streaming service. It's a good change, as lag was always pretty bad on PS Now, but I hardly think it will challenge Game Pass with features and availability.
Yea the games are all pretty old, but you can download everything on there except for ps3/ps2 stuff. Seems like gamepass to me, just without newer AAA releases.

Took them long enough to even say something. Odd that they would mention anything about game support when a game doesn't need any support for VRR to work.
i was thinking about that too, but my guess is it's simply because a lot of games still run at 30fps and many displays that support VRR (my C1 included) only support VRR correctly down to 40fps, below that there's a low framerate compensation that doubles frames and is just completely unplayable.

i was thinking about that too, but my guess is it's simply because a lot of games still run at 30fps and many displays that support VRR (my C1 included) only support VRR correctly down to 40fps, below that there's a low framerate compensation that doubles frames and is just completely unplayable.
That makes sense, good thinking man.

VRR is finally coming to the PS5 this week, and it is only to a limited number of games. I still don't understand why individual games would need to be patched for it to work. They at least allow you to enable it for games that don't officially support it.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...ate-support-for-ps5-is-rolling-out-this-week/
  • Astro’s Playroom
  • Call of Duty: Vanguard
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  • Deathloop
  • Destiny 2
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
  • DIRT 5
  • Godfall
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Resident Evil Village
  • Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege
  • Tribes of Midgard

I still don't understand why individual games would need to be patched for it to work.
Not sure if they need to do, but they could change things to optimise the game for VRR:

I think it is a change from say 30 fps minimum frame rate target in high graphic mode to a more common VRR minimum (say 40 fps)
In 60/120 fps mode, they can try less to lock the frame rate and augment resolutoin/quality to take advantage of a lower cost to frame drop.
Not engage any VSync strategy to let VRR do the work ?

Spider man for example, VRR upgrade seem to consist off:
  • 120 Hz Display Mode (together with system settings)
    • Reduces input latency
    • Increases frame rate target of Fidelity graphics mode to 40 fps
  • Support for VRR via system settings
    • When 120 Hz Display Mode is off, slightly increases dynamic resolution targets
    • When 120 Hz Display Mode is on, the frame rate is unlocked and varies based on gameplay
  • Improvements to ray-traced reflection quality at glancing angles in low-dynamic-resolution scenarios

Reactions: T4rd
like this
VRR support is live as of right now. You don't even need to download new firmware, either. Seems the last update added it, but didn't yet add it to the menus. To enable it, you have to restart your PS5. After that, it should be in the video/sound options menu.

Should I buy things from the Playstation store on my parent account or my son's child account?

I bought a physical copy of LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga for him. With the disc I can just install the game and either of us can play it. Does it matter which account I buy the DLC with for everyone to be able to use it? If I buy it, will it be available on his child account?

Should I buy things from the Playstation store on my parent account or my son's child account?

I bought a physical copy of LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga for him. With the disc I can just install the game and either of us can play it. Does it matter which account I buy the DLC with for everyone to be able to use it? If I buy it, will it be available on his child account?
I think you can buy it, but your account needs to be signed in for your son's account to use it.

There was a Ratchet & Clank update yesterday that appears to have greatly improved the game's VRR performance.

I initially played Rift Apart in the 30FPS fidelity mode on a 60Hz TV and the performance was consistent. I now have a 120Hz TV* and I thought that the 120Hz/40FPS mode felt strange in Rift Apart, then, when VRR was enabled, the game felt very strange as if the game speed or physics speed were changing based on the frame rate changes in VRR mode and the game seemed to exhibit poor performance in 120Hz mode. The April 29th update appears to have fixed the strange game speed issue and the frame rate is now improved all around and feels more consistent in fidelity mode with 120Hz enabled in-game. Seems like a night-and-day difference.

*I disable all motion interpolation or image manipulation features of TVs and it's running in game mode.

Sony has released the initial list of games being made available on the revamped PlayStation Plus Premium/Deluxe service, including many popular classic PS3 games.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...ctors-cut-nba-2k22-and-more-join-the-service/

PlayStation Studios
  • Alienation | Housemarque, PS4
  • Bloodborne | FromSoftware, PS4
  • Concrete Genie | Pixelopus, PS4
  • Days Gone | Bend Studio, PS4
  • Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition | Housemarque, PS4
  • Death Stranding and Death Stranding Director’s Cut | Kojima Productions, PS4/PS5
  • Demon’s Souls | Bluepoint Games, PS5
  • Destruction AllStars | Lucid Games, PS5
  • Everybody’s Golf | Japan Studio, PS4
  • Ghost Of Tsushima Director’s Cut | Sucker Punch, PS4/ PS5
  • God of War | Santa Monica Studio, PS4
  • Gravity Rush 2 | Japan Studio, PS4
  • Gravity Rush Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
  • Horizon Zero Dawn | Guerrilla, PS4
  • Infamous First Light | Sucker Punch, PS4
  • Infamous Second Son | Sucker Punch, PS4
  • Knack | Japan Studio, PS4
  • LittleBigPlanet 3 | Sumo Digital, PS4
  • LocoRoco Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
  • LocoRoco 2 Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man | Insomniac Games, PS4
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales | Insomniac Games, PS4/PS5
  • Matterfall |Housemarque, PS4
  • MediEvil | Other Ocean, PS4
  • Patapon Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
  • Patapon 2 Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
  • Resogun | Housemarque, PS4
  • Returnal | Housemarque, PS5
  • Shadow of the Colossus | Japan Studio, PS4
  • Tearaway Unfolded |Media Molecule, PS4
  • The Last Guardian | Japan Studio, PS4
  • The Last of Us Remastered | Naughty Dog, PS4
  • The Last of Us: Left Behind | Naughty Dog, PS4
  • Until Dawn | Supermassive Games, PS4
  • Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection |Naughty Dog, PS4
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End | Naughty Dog, PS4
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy | Naughty Dog, PS4
  • WipEout Omega Collection | Clever Beans & Creative Vault Studios, PS4

Third Party-Partners
  • Ashen | Annapurna Interactive,PS4
  • Assassin’s Creed Valhalla*** | Ubisoft, PS4/PS5
  • Batman: Arkham Knight | WB Games, PS4
  • Celeste | Maddy Makes Games, PS4
  • Cities: Skylines | Paradox Interactive, PS4
  • Control: Ultimate Edition | 505 Games, PS4/PS5
  • Dead Cells| Motion Twin, PS4
  • Far Cry 3 Remaster*** | Ubisoft, PS4
  • Far Cry 4*** | Ubisoft, PS4
  • Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition | Square Enix Co. LTD, PS4
  • For Honor*** | Ubisoft, PS4
  • Hollow Knight | Team Cherry, PS4
  • Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy | Square Enix Co. LTD., PS4/PS5
  • Mortal Kombat 11 | WB Games, PS4/PS5
  • Narutoshippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., PS4
  • NBA 2K22 | 2K Games, PS4/PS5
  • Outer Wilds | Annapurna Interactive, PS4
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 | Rockstar Games, PS4
  • Resident Evil | Capcom Co., Ltd, PS4
  • Soulcalibur VI | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., PS4
  • South Park: The Fractured but Whole*** | Ubisoft, PS4
  • The Artful Escape | Annapurna Interactive, PS4/PS5
  • The Crew 2*** | Ubisoft, PS4
  • Tom Clancy’s The Division*** | Ubisoft, PS4

Classic Games Catalog – Original PlayStation and PSP

PlayStation Studios

• Ape Escape | Japan Studio, Original PlayStation
  • Hot Shots Golf | Japan Studio, Original PlayStation
  • I.Q. Intelligent Qube | Japan Studio, Original PlayStation
  • Jumping Flash! | Japan Studio, Original PlayStation
  • Syphon Filter | Bend Studio, Original PlayStation
  • Super Stardust Portable | Housemarque, PSP
Third Party Partners

• Mr. Driller | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., Original PlayStation
  • Tekken 2 | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., Original PlayStation
  • Worms World Party | Team 17, Original PlayStation
  • Worms Armageddon | Team17, Original PlayStation

Classic Games Catalog – Remasters

PlayStation Studios
  • Ape Escape 2 | Japan Studio, PS4
  • Arc The Lad: Twilight of the Spirits | Japan Studio, PS4
  • Dark Cloud | Japan Studio, PS4
  • Dark Cloud 2 | Japan Studio, PS4
  • FantaVision | SIE, PS4
  • Hot Shots Tennis | Japan Studio, PS4
  • Jak II | Naughty Dog, PS4
  • Jak 3| Naughty Dog, PS4
  • Jak X: Combat Racing | Naughty Dog, PS4
  • Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy | Naughty Dog, PS4
  • Rogue Galaxy | Japan Studio, PS4
  • Siren | Japan Studio, PS4
  • Wild Arms 3 | SIE, PS4

Third Party Partners
  • Bioshock Remastered | 2K Games, PS4
  • Borderlands The Handsome Collection | 2K Games, PS4
  • Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition | Gearbox Publishing, PS4
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning | THQ Nordic, PS4
  • LEGO Harry Potter Collection | WB Games, PS4

Original PS3 Games

PlayStation Studios
  • Crash Commando | Creative Vault Studios, PS3
  • Demon’s Souls | From Software, PS3
  • echochrome | Japan Studio, PS3
  • Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds | Japan Studio, PS3
  • Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational | Japan Studio, PS3
  • Ico | Japan Studio, PS3
  • Infamous | Sucker Punch, PS3
  • Infamous 2 | Sucker Punch, PS3
  • Infamous: Festival of Blood | Sucker Punch, PS3
  • LocoRoco Cocoreccho! | Japan Studio, PS3
  • MotorStorm Apocalypse | Evolution Studios, PS3
  • MotorStorm RC | Evolution Studios, PS3
  • Puppeteer | Japan Studio, PS3
  • rain | Japan Studio, PS3
  • Ratchet & Clank: Quest For Booty | Insomniac Games, PS3
  • Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time |Insomniac Games, PS3
  • Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus | Insomniac Games, PS3
  • Resistance 3 | Insomniac Games, PS3
  • Super Stardust HD | Housemarque, PS3
  • Tokyo Jungle | Japan Studio, PS3
  • When Vikings Attack | Clever Beans, PS3

Third Party Partners
  • Asura’s Wrath | Capcom Co., Ltd., PS3
  • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 | Konami, PS3
  • Devil May Cry HD Collection | Capcom Co., Ltd., PS3
  • Enslaved: Odyssey to the West | Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc., PS3
  • F.E.A.R. | WB Games, PS3
  • Lost Planet 2 | Capcom Co., Ltd., PS3
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 | Koei Tecmo, PS3
  • Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare |Rockstar Games, PS3

Back