Official PS5 Thread

I think this is 100% related to the PS5, but has anyone else encountered a situation where if you shut down the console into rest mode, then turn off the TV (keeping input on the PS input), the next time you turn the TV on your volume is kaput? Switching inputs doesn't help, nor does just turning it off and on again from the remote. Have to completely unplug the power cord from the back of the TV to resolve the issue and get sound again. TV is a Sony X950H, and was not an issue before the addition of the PS5.

It’s 100% the Sony tv brotha. I hate to say it but it is. Confirmed too. Check the Bravia sub Reddit. Tons of problems .

I myself have 2 brand new 2020 Sony x900h’s with hdmi 2.1 and all that jazz. One 55” for my shop with my PS5

and one 65” at home with the Series X

Both had those same issues. Only a hard restart would fix it. But a firmware update was just pushed out a few days ago and it seems to have fixed my issues on both tv’s. Which is great.

by the way, instead of unplugging, just hold the power button down. You’ll get an option to restart that pops up 👍🏻

Good to know about those TV's. Am just starting to look around at HDMI 2.1 sets and the newish Sony models seem pretty good on paper. Since I can't find an HDMI 2.1 AVR anywhere, that gives me another 4-5 months to look at various models and potential issues/quirks.

It’s 100% the Sony tv brotha. I hate to say it but it is. Confirmed too. Check the Bravia sub Reddit. Tons of problems .

I myself have 2 brand new 2020 Sony x900h’s with hdmi 2.1 and all that jazz. One 55” for my shop with my PS5

and one 65” at home with the Series X

Both had those same issues. Only a hard restart would fix it. But a firmware update was just pushed out a few days ago and it seems to have fixed my issues on both tv’s. Which is great.

by the way, instead of unplugging, just hold the power button down. You’ll get an option to restart that pops up 👍🏻
Interesting. Didn’t exhibit the same issue with the Series X for me. Minus Android it’s a great TV.

Good to know about those TV's. Am just starting to look around at HDMI 2.1 sets and the newish Sony models seem pretty good on paper. Since I can't find an HDMI 2.1 AVR anywhere, that gives me another 4-5 months to look at various models and potential issues/quirks.
Interesting. Didn’t exhibit the same issue with the Series X for me. Minus Android it’s a great TV.

The TV itself ( Sony x900h or 90CH from costco ) is frickin amazing besides these hdmi 2.1 issues and sound\soundbar issues. They seem to be fixing them anyway. Its 120hz panel is amazing for gaming. Picture quality is great too.

I actually love the android tv interface because it allows me to natively install Kodi from the google play store without the need for another set-top box.

Well yesterday I got an update from one of the notify me lists I am on, only to let me know they got a batch in but would prioritize the sale of them trough the notify me list time of signup and that I was too far back to get one on this batch, that's the first time since early december I got any news on PS5 consoles.

At the current rate I might be playing my PS5 games I got during the holidays on the PS6

Well yesterday I got an update from one of the notify me lists I am on, only to let me know they got a batch in but would prioritize the sale of them trough the notify me list time of signup and that I was too far back to get one on this batch, that's the first time since early december I got any news on PS5 consoles.

At the current rate I might be playing my PS5 games I got during the holidays on the PS6
I managed to get one a few weeks ago via the HotStock app. It notified me Amazon had stock then I immediately opened up Amazon and spammed add to cart until it worked and let me checkout. I’m not sure if I was lucky that I was able to get my order in or if I was able to just because I was using my phone when the notification popped and immediately went to it. It took roughly 5 minutes or so.

The TV itself ( Sony x900h or 90CH from costco ) is frickin amazing besides these hdmi 2.1 issues and sound\soundbar issues. They seem to be fixing them anyway. Its 120hz panel is amazing for gaming. Picture quality is great too.

I actually love the android tv interface because it allows me to natively install Kodi from the google play store without the need for another set-top box.
I’m using a Sony X900F and it’s amazing. Unfortunately it only does 60hz at 4K but does do 120hz below 4K. Considered buying a new one that supports VRR and 120hz but I’ve been enjoying the PS5 and don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything especially for console gaming. Considering the F rates higher (it’s better for HDR highlights and some other things) than the H I’m happy where I’m at. I’ll probably wait until TV manufacturers give me a compelling reason to upgrade before doing so again.

I don’t like android TV so I’m using an Apple TV 4K with it along with a Samsung Q90R soundbar and everything works without issue. Enjoy the 900H I’m sure it’s a good TV overall.

I was lucky enough to order a digital edition PS5 from Best Buy today. What’s the best way to play with mouse and keyboard? I bought this solely for singleplayer Playstation exclusives (TLOU2, GOW, etc.), everything else I’ll play on PC. I see Xim Apex has a firmware update that works for PS4 games only, and I’m not sure what limitations exist for the IOGEAR Keymander. Xim would work fine for now since I’m only interested in PS4 games but I’d rather buy the best option now that may allow me to play PS5 games later. Thanks for any help.

I was lucky enough to order a digital edition PS5 from Best Buy today. What’s the best way to play with mouse and keyboard? I bought this solely for singleplayer Playstation exclusives (TLOU2, GOW, etc.), everything else I’ll play on PC. I see Xim Apex has a firmware update that works for PS4 games only, and I’m not sure what limitations exist for the IOGEAR Keymander. Xim would work fine for now since I’m only interested in PS4 games but I’d rather buy the best option now that may allow me to play PS5 games later. Thanks for any help.

I doubt there will be much, if any support on the new consoles from adapters like those since the current and previous gen consoles natively support kb&m and the bigger titles like CoD support them natively on the consoles as well. Considering most of the exclusives are 3rd person action/adventure games, I'm not sure why you'd want to play them with kb&m, esp. with any janky adapters like the Xim adapters that are awkward to map controls to and dial in mouse sensitivity. I know there are people that generally hate controllers, but personally I prefer them for most games outside of FPS games unless shooting is a primary component of the game and you're doing a lot of running and gunning (Gears of War, Mass Effect, etc.). Plus with the enhanced haptics and adaptive triggers on the Dual Sense, I'm kinda looking forward to see how well Sony utilizes them on their exclusives going forward as well.

The xim apex actually works on ps5 games now, just not with the ps5 controller. They have a work around involving certain 3rd party controllers like the Hori mini.

I doubt there will be much, if any support on the new consoles from adapters like those since the current and previous gen consoles natively support kb&m and the bigger titles like CoD support them natively on the consoles as well. Considering most of the exclusives are 3rd person action/adventure games, I'm not sure why you'd want to play them with kb&m, esp. with any janky adapters like the Xim adapters that are awkward to map controls to and dial in mouse sensitivity. I know there are people that generally hate controllers, but personally I prefer them for most games outside of FPS games unless shooting is a primary component of the game and you're doing a lot of running and gunning (Gears of War, Mass Effect, etc.). Plus with the enhanced haptics and adaptive triggers on the Dual Sense, I'm kinda looking forward to see how well Sony utilizes them on their exclusives going forward as well.
Not all console games are so willing to support keyboard & mouse, and those that do basically quarantine you from controller players in certain game types. Adapters like the Xim are very much still needed.

Not all console games are so willing to support keyboard & mouse, and those that do basically quarantine you from controller players in certain game types. Adapters like the Xim are very much still needed.

Well they should be quarantined from other players; playing with KB&M is an obvious advantage over controller players. Otherwise console games should restrict KB&M controls to single-player for FPS games at least, IMO. I think with CoD and Fortnight supporting it though, it will be more common in future tiles on console. But probably not in 3rd person games (most Sony exclusives), as it makes less sense there in general.

Well they should be quarantined from other players; playing with KB&M is an obvious advantage over controller players. Otherwise console games should restrict KB&M controls to single-player for FPS games at least, IMO. I think with CoD and Fortnight supporting it though, it will be more common in future tiles on console. But probably not in 3rd person games (most Sony exclusives), as it makes less sense there in general.
I don't think that is fair in the slightest. Some people are physically unable to use a controller.

A lot of modern games have evened things out between pads and mice, so it's not like it used to be. In most cases, when everyone is using pads, there's some auto-aiming in play when you aren't just firing from the hip. In the case of someone using a mouse, it's simply not there. It's still quicker, more precise, and better overall though. It actually works really well in games like Destiny and even CoD. Pad players are able to 100% compete, but they have a lower ceiling.

I don't think that is fair in the slightest. Some people are mentality unable to use a controller.
Fixed.

If you physically can't use a controller then you will also have issues with m/kb. I personally find a controller easier and more comfortable to use then a m/kb.

Fixed.

If you physically can't use a controller then you will also have issues with m/kb. I personally find a controller easier and more comfortable to use then a m/kb.
I'd appreciate if you didn't quote me and then change my words in that quote.

I very much meant what I said. Holding a controller requires a grip and curling of the fingers that a keyboard and mouse does not require. It puts additional stress on the ligaments that run from your wrists up to your shoulders that can cause discomfort, pain, and even lead to damage if ignored.

We don't discriminate against fighting game competitors who use keyboard and mouse for whatever reason. I don't understand why we continue to do so in other games with the systems that have been developed over the years to lower the skill ceiling in those others games.

I don't think that is fair in the slightest. Some people are physically unable to use a controller.
And some people are physically unable to use a KB&M, both are probably in the minority of gamers as well. Good thing there's different platforms and games on each of them available to accommodate both of them (like CoD) though.

A lot of modern games have evened things out between pads and mice, so it's not like it used to be. In most cases, when everyone is using pads, there's some auto-aiming in play when you aren't just firing from the hip. In the case of someone using a mouse, it's simply not there. It's still quicker, more precise, and better overall though. It actually works really well in games like Destiny and even CoD. Pad players are able to 100% compete, but they have a lower ceiling.
Yes, there's a lot of variables that go into it now and I've seen several vids making the comparison in Warzone since it supports both control methods and is cross-platform while allowing people using either control methods to play against each other. You can find several instances of controller players murdering KB&M players and visa versa. But it's pretty unanimous that all things being equal (no auto aiming or tracking of players), the KB&M players are going to have the clear advantage. Hence why the controller players get those handicaps in the first place.

I like to think I can use a controller pretty well and am pretty comfortable with them in general even while playing FPS games, but each time I tried to play Warzone with a controller I definitely performed worse in stats/kills than when I did with a mouse. Anecdotal, I know, but these are of course my own findings and thus my contribution to the subject that I have researched and experimented with myself.

Fixed.

I'm inclined to agree here. I'm all about inclusivity but if you have a physical condition preventing the use of a controller, you're very likely to also have issues with a KB+M. I don't know about Sony, but on Xbox with the adaptive controller, persons with disabilities are likely much better served there, and I assume the adaptive controller registers like any other controller.

Bottom line is, a line has to be drawn somewhere. KB+M gives an unmistakable advantage. Allowing it for everyone throws off the balance for the entire community. You can't do that for an extremely small handful of people that cannot physically use a controller but can use a KB+M. There are other options for those people (play on PC). It's a nice thought to try and make something accessible to everyone, but that's simply not reality.

My ps5 will be here weds. Now to find a new monitor for it

I don't think there's very many HDMI 2.1 monitors out yet. There's still only a handful of TVs that have it too at this point. I really wish the PS5 supported 1440p, because if it did I could still do 1440p/120Hz on my existing monitor... if it had HDMI 2.0 even, lol. I got a decent Alienware Ultrawide a couple years ago and for some reason they only put HDMI 1.4 on it. So even using my work laptop on it through HDMI I can only get 3440x1440 at 50Hz or 1440p at 60Hz at best. Kind of annoying and just makes me want the upcoming 42" OLED LG is putting out, which I really hope they still support 4k/120 on with VRR like their existing OLEDs and the C9 I have in my living room.

HDMI 2.1 is every bit the clusterfuck I feared it would be. Try finding an HDMI 2.1 AV receiver. They basically don't exist outside of the ultra high-end. A few normal models trickled out last year, but all of had that weird issue where one of the consoles (or 3-series Nvidia cards) wouldn't work with them. Either that or they were missing features that might come "in a future update." It doesn't look like any 2021 models will be out until Summer or even Fall. TV's seem to finally be here in full force as of March, although non-TV monitors are steeeeep thus far. Much like with most electronics, the new 2021 TV's are selling pretty fast, too. It's not like manufacturers didn't know this was coming. The spec was announced 4 years ago.

They released images for the new VR controller. They look interesting, I'm excited to see it all in action!
https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/18/next-gen-vr-on-ps5-the-new-controller/

1616079573404.png

Oh lord. Can’t wait to see what this costs. I’ve always wanted to get a vr setup but the pc ones are so expensive
Have to wait for the headset specs. The original was $300 when it came out 4 years ago, and it came with the PS Camera and Move controllers. Head tracking was sketchy with that one. I would imagine Sony might be trying to target the same price since the original had better than expected sales. I couldn't see them going more than $400. They could probably release a competent product at that price point considering how the technology has moved since the original.

I picked up my digital edition today and of course my 6 year old son took it over about 30 seconds after setting it up. He’s playing Astro’s Playroom, pretty neat game. I’m looking forward to trying out some of the PS4 gems like TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, etc.

I picked up my digital edition today and of course my 6 year old son took it over about 30 seconds after setting it up. He’s playing Astro’s Playroom, pretty neat game. I’m looking forward to trying out some of the PS4 gems like TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, etc.

Have you played the first TLOU? It’s free with ps+ and needs a play thru before doing the 2nd game.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Have you played the first TLOU? It’s free with ps+ and needs a play thru before doing the 2nd game.
No I haven’t but I was considering buying the first game and starting from the beginning. I’m just not sure I want to devote two game playthroughs to this series, I’m not sure I even like it. I get that a lot of the character development happens in the first game so I may just watch a YouTube story explanation. If I end up getting thoroughly hooked on TLOU2 I’ll go back and play the first game.

What’s the consensus on PS+? Does everyone generally think it’s worth the cost? I know that probably varies from person to person depending on how many of the offered games they are interested in, but I’m curious if generally speaking people think it’s a good deal. I’m only interested in PlayStation exclusives, everything else will be played on PC.

No I haven’t but I was considering buying the first game and starting from the beginning. I’m just not sure I want to devote two game playthroughs to this series, I’m not sure I even like it. I get that a lot of the character development happens in the first game so I may just watch a YouTube story explanation. If I end up getting thoroughly hooked on TLOU2 I’ll go back and play the first game.

What’s the consensus on PS+? Does everyone generally think it’s worth the cost? I know that probably varies from person to person depending on how many of the offered games they are interested in, but I’m curious if generally speaking people think it’s a good deal. I’m only interested in PlayStation exclusives, everything else will be played on PC.

I played the original TLOU about 3 months before the sequel came out. After completing both, I feel like I’d have been missing out had I not played the first before hand. It’s very much a story series. I’m sure if you skipped the first one you’d appreciate the second for what it is though. I think the first one is only like 10-15 hours long though. I fell into the hype for the series when they were touting part2. By the second half or so of each game I was tired of the gameplay systems and just wanted to see how it ended. I enjoyed both games but I don’t feel like they were system defining games. Combat was decent but nothing to write home about, story was well done but nothing masterful, ran like trash on PS4 Pro but sound effects and sound was good lol. The original was free at some point, might’ve been the play at home initiative so might still be free. They were worth playing. Would have to look into it.

I’ve been playing Ghost on my PS5 and it runs great (and looks great) compared to when I started it on PS4 Pro. Enjoyable so far. My favorite game of the generation was Final Fantasy VII Remake. It runs far better on PS5 as well. I’m running all PS4 games on a Samsung 2TB T5 external SSD and load times are fantastic over the PS4 Pro.

On the subject of PS+, it’s really going to be person to person based. If you don’t play any multiplayer and don’t generally have time to play a lot of games it’s probably not worth it. I stay subbed because I have a 10 year old son and we get to check out games we’d never have bought or etc. Some people just like to stay subbed to get the “free games” to add to their catalogs even if they won’t be able to play them all. Maybe they will someday. I play in stretches and am subbed until 2026. You can generally find 12 month subs for $32-37 on sale. Ultimately up to you if it’s worth it or not.

I find ps+ for $30-$35 a year all the time. I play mlb the show every night so I need it. It’s worth it tho for all the free shit you get with the ps5, they give you a bunch of good games with it

Reactions: T4rd
like this

I played the original TLOU about 3 months before the sequel came out. After completing both, I feel like I’d have been missing out had I not played the first before hand. It’s very much a story series. I’m sure if you skipped the first one you’d appreciate the second for what it is though. I think the first one is only like 10-15 hours long though. I fell into the hype for the series when they were touting part2. By the second half or so of each game I was tired of the gameplay systems and just wanted to see how it ended. I enjoyed both games but I don’t feel like they were system defining games. Combat was decent but nothing to write home about, story was well done but nothing masterful, ran like trash on PS4 Pro but sound effects and sound was good lol. The original was free at some point, might’ve been the play at home initiative so might still be free. They were worth playing. Would have to look into it.

I’ve been playing Ghost on my PS5 and it runs great (and looks great) compared to when I started it on PS4 Pro. Enjoyable so far. My favorite game of the generation was Final Fantasy VII Remake. It runs far better on PS5 as well. I’m running all PS4 games on a Samsung 2TB T5 external SSD and load times are fantastic over the PS4 Pro.

On the subject of PS+, it’s really going to be person to person based. If you don’t play any multiplayer and don’t generally have time to play a lot of games it’s probably not worth it. I stay subbed because I have a 10 year old son and we get to check out games we’d never have bought or etc. Some people just like to stay subbed to get the “free games” to add to their catalogs even if they won’t be able to play them all. Maybe they will someday. I play in stretches and am subbed until 2026. You can generally find 12 month subs for $32-37 on sale. Ultimately up to you if it’s worth it or not.

I think you guys are right about playing the first game before the second. I started TLOU2 last night and a couple of things jumped out at me:
  • First I’ve been spoiled by high refresh rate gsync gaming on my PC. Man is 30 fps hard to swallow. I knew this going in (at least for some PS4 games)...but even so it’s pretty jarring. I’ll get over it though.
  • In the intro the brief story recap of the first game makes it pretty clear I want to play that game first.
  • Naughty Dog are the kings of production value. The dialogue, acting, setting, art direction are all really great. I played Uncharted 1 and 2 back in the day but I’ve forgotten how skilled they are at telling a story
So with all that I think I’ll start with the first game. I’ve got to resist the urge to run through these fast...there are just so many games I’m anxious to play from the Playstation catalog. Next up will be Ghost of Tsushima or God of War.

You really, really, really need to play the first game. For one thing, it's necessary to get the full impact TLoU2's story, and for another, it's still a brilliant game. I envy anyone playing TLoU and TLoU 2 for the first time.

Yes, and in case it needs to be reiterated, for the love of God play the first TLoU before playing the 2nd one. Not sure if you can do 4k60 in Remastered, but you can at least do 1080p/60. I'm guessing Sony/ND is waiting on the multiplayer DLC to enhance TLoU2 for PS5 at this point and also deciding if they're going to put these enhancements behind another paywall like they did Spiderman Remastered.

You were right about the Xim, it’s not for me. I tried it out in TLOU and the input lag and general awkwardness of the controls just didn’t make for a good experience. Im back to using the DS5 and working on my controller skills and familiarity. I’m surprised at how well I’ve adjusted after just a few play sessions. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still really inaccurate, but there’s something about this new controller that has made it much easier to adapt to than my previous experience with the PS3.

***I picked up my digital edition today*** and of course my 6 year old son took it over about 30 seconds after setting it up. He’s playing Astro’s Playroom, pretty neat game. I’m looking forward to trying out some of the PS4 gems like TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, etc.

Where? How?

I've largely given up on getting one of these. All I keep running into still is bot economy, scalping, sold out, and "restock this at such and such" and it's gone in 60 seconds. We're almost in April for cryin' out loud. C'mon. I have to believe some people in this thread probably said the hell with it and went for the scalp job and got it over with. I guess I can't blame you but I just refuse to do that.

Last edited:
Where? How?

I've largely given up on getting one of these. All I keep running into still is bot economy, scalping, sold out, and "restock this at such and such" and it's gone in 60 seconds. We're almost in April for cryin' out loud. C'mon. I have to believe some people in this thread probably said the hell with it and went for the scalp job and got it over with. I guess I can't blame you but I just refuse to do that.

I got lucky during a Best Buy drop and was able to buy at MSRP. I wasn’t trying all that hard, I clicked the link quite a bit after the drop started and just sat there waiting for it to be available for purchase. I’ve tried several other times in the past and it didn’t go my way. I don’t care if people pay inflated prices, it’s their money to spend.

Back