Official PS5 Thread

I have an old 2TB WD Elements External (USB 2.0 I think) I use, along with another older 750 GB SSD (840 Evo I think) drive for my PS4 games that I just moved over from my PS4 Pro to my PS5. They both work fine for me. I def can't wait for them to unlock the SSD expansion slot though so we can throw another 2TB NVME drive in it probably for less than the 1TB SSD card costs for the Series X, lol.

Anyone got the Pulse 3D Headset and/or SteelSeries Arctis 7P and came from the Sony Golds? I've been pretty happy with the Sony Golds so far even for PS5 use and see both headsets are finally in stock on Amazon (been sold out basically since the PS5 launched), so I'm tempted to pick them up. Just wondering if they'll really be much of an improvement over the Golds. The only thing I'd like an improvement on is long-term comfort, as the Golds do slightly touch/rub my ear and cause fatigue after a few hours of use, which really is rare for me to play that long at once anyways so it hasn't been a big enough deal for me to replace them so far. I think they sound great too, better than my WH1000 XM3s when hardwired for gaming at least as they're a bit too bassy for games and don't sound as crisp on the high freq sounds (gunshots, voice, etc.) as the Golds.

Well poo. Thanks for the heads up. It's too bad there's not an ideal storage solution still. Why didn't the NVME internal slot work at launch? Seems like a half-baked product when there's issues with external drives too.

Guess I'll have to return the X8.
The issue with external drives are up to the drive manufactures themselves to fix. Someone found a work around for the X8 that involves installing non Crucial firmware but there’s no long term data to suggest it’s safe to do so and I’m assuming Crucial wouldn’t honor the warranty.

There are a lot of drives that do work though including the Samsung T5 and T7, WD game drive, WD My Passport SSD and various others. I believe the consensus is that any drive using a certain chip (AS682 or something like that) will work and the others need firmware updates to support working properly in rest mode for the PS5. The data I found also suggests that anything over 500mb/sec gets in to diminishing returns as it seems there’s minor gains from there.

As far as the internal slot being disabled, Sony claims they are awaiting proper testing and certification for drives that weren’t available at launch. How many PCIE 4.0 nvme drives are out in the wild? I don’t think there’s a lot that are fast enough as the one that Sony has built in. I know Samsung recently launched one and I’m sure it’ll be compatible but with availability and shipping delays being more and more common it’s harder to get things like this done. It definitely sucks that there’s only like 660GB of usable space on it and I knew that going in. I have no issues deleting and reinstalling stuff especially since I have a fast internet connection and no data caps. I’ll throw in a 2TB internal when I can though.

Anyone got the Pulse 3D Headset and/or SteelSeries Arctis 7P and came from the Sony Golds? I've been pretty happy with the Sony Golds so far even for PS5 use and see both headsets are finally in stock on Amazon (been sold out basically since the PS5 launched), so I'm tempted to pick them up. Just wondering if they'll really be much of an improvement over the Golds. The only thing I'd like an improvement on is long-term comfort, as the Golds do slightly touch/rub my ear and cause fatigue after a few hours of use, which really is rare for me to play that long at once anyways so it hasn't been a big enough deal for me to replace them so far. I think they sound great too, better than my WH1000 XM3s when hardwired for gaming at least as they're a bit too bassy for games and don't sound as crisp on the high freq sounds (gunshots, voice, etc.) as the Golds.
I’ve been using the Steelseries Arctis 7X on the PS5, XBSX, and PC for a few months. Comfort has been good for me, and I have a large head/ears. The “ski goggle” suspension strap does a pretty good job of eliminating pressure points on the head. Very happy with the sound quality as well. If you think you’ll ever use them with an Xbox, I can’t see a reason not to go with the Arctis 7X over the 7P, unless it’s an aesthetic preference, as the 7X seems to have better cross compatibility.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
The issue with external drives are up to the drive manufactures themselves to fix. Someone found a work around for the X8 that involves installing non Crucial firmware but there’s no long term data to suggest it’s safe to do so and I’m assuming Crucial wouldn’t honor the warranty.

There are a lot of drives that do work though including the Samsung T5 and T7, WD game drive, WD My Passport SSD and various others. I believe the consensus is that any drive using a certain chip (AS682 or something like that) will work and the others need firmware updates to support working properly in rest mode for the PS5. The data I found also suggests that anything over 500mb/sec gets in to diminishing returns as it seems there’s minor gains from there.

As far as the internal slot being disabled, Sony claims they are awaiting proper testing and certification for drives that weren’t available at launch. How many PCIE 4.0 nvme drives are out in the wild? I don’t think there’s a lot that are fast enough as the one that Sony has built in. I know Samsung recently launched one and I’m sure it’ll be compatible but with availability and shipping delays being more and more common it’s harder to get things like this done. It definitely sucks that there’s only like 660GB of usable space on it and I knew that going in. I have no issues deleting and reinstalling stuff especially since I have a fast internet connection and no data caps. I’ll throw in a 2TB internal when I can though.
There are a few out there atm and none of them are cheap. The small SSD hasn't really bothered me either. Granted I don't have many ps5 games. I do have a 4tb external drive with all my ps4 games that I use. I copy games back and forth between the ps5 and the external drive as I play them. The games do copy pretty damn quick too. The stupid fast loading times on ps4 games is awesome. Sony just needs to let us store ps5 games on external drives already tho.

There are a few out there atm and none of them are cheap. The small SSD hasn't really bothered me either. Granted I don't have many ps5 games. I do have a 4tb external drive with all my ps4 games that I use. I copy games back and forth between the ps5 and the external drive as I play them. The games do copy pretty damn quick too. The stupid fast loading times on ps4 games is awesome. Sony just needs to let us store ps5 games on external drives already tho.
I considering buying a 4TB external mechanical but decided didn’t wanna copy stuff back and forth so just indulged in the Samsung T5. No complaints. Played some Ghost of Tsushima last night and amazed at how fast the game loaded and 3-5 seconds between fast travels. This 550mb/sec external SSD blows away the hybrid firecuda I had in my PS4 Pro. I’ll just have all my PS4 stuff on it and deal with PS5 games until I can get a 2TB nvme that isn’t $300-400. I don’t mind paying $200 or so but hard to justify $400.

I'm still waiting for Sony's zany positional 3D audio that's "better than Atmos" to finally roll out. I'd even settle for some additional details on how it's even going to work. Sony's been completely silent about any new A/V receivers for 2021, so there went one possibility.

dbrand just posted their PS5 Dark faceplates for $49, as I also posted in HotDeals. Guessing these are going to sell out very fast.

Edit: first wave sold out in the first 20 mins. Second wave on sale shipping in March.

Edit: second wave gone in about another 20 mins. Third wave shipping in April up.

Edit: third wave sold out. Fourth wave for May delivery up.

View attachment 328643

Arrived today! Large photos warning.

Matte black skin for front and bottom:
IMG_8638.JPEG

IMG_8639.JPEG

Fancy box with magnetic closure:
IMG_8640.JPEG

Actually pretty happy about the box because it is going to be perfect for storing the stock side plates:
IMG_8642.JPEG

Before:
IMG_8643.JPEG

IMG_8644.JPEG

Sides popped off, left the dust to show how much dust has accumulated from launch until now:
IMG_8645.JPEG

IMG_8646.JPEG

Skin is very thick / high quality feeling. More of a plastic film than a typical vinyl skin feeling, with a strange texture on the back:
IMG_8647.JPEG

Front before:
IMG_8648.JPEG

Front after:
IMG_8649.JPEG

Button and port alignment is good:
IMG_8653.JPEG
IMG_8652.JPEG

And finished product (purple hue is from my TCL LCD screensaver):

IMG_8654.JPEG

IMG_8655.JPEG

IMG_8656.JPEG

IMG_8657.JPEG

IMG_8658.JPEG

With the neighbors:
IMG_8659.JPEG

IMG_8660.JPEG

And light effects:

IMG_8661.JPEG

IMG_8662.JPEG

Overall pretty happy with how it turned out! Install process was very quick, and because the skin was more of a film it was simple to align.

Last edited:
Very nice. Makes me feel good about my purchase. Can't wait for it to get here.

I like the side plates but never have been a fan of sticker decals. They always seem to start to peel somewhere after a while, even just slightly where it’s noticeable and instantly ruins it for me.

I'm still waiting for Sony's zany positional 3D audio that's "better than Atmos" to finally roll out. I'd even settle for some additional details on how it's even going to work. Sony's been completely silent about any new A/V receivers for 2021, so there went one possibility.
I was happy when I hooked up the PS5 the other day and popped in Game of Thrones UHD S1 and it sent Atmos to my Samsung Q90R soundbar. I won’t believe in their tech until it’s proven. Seems a long ways off.

“It will connect to PS5 with a single cord...”

(>^.^)> WIRELESS HEADSET OR RIOT <(^.^<)

It'll prolly be another adapter/accessory for it for another $50, hah.

I'm not counting on it, but it would be a serious WIN if they also make it compatible with PC. I've been wanting a PC VR headset for a while, but most of them just come with too many compromises for me, including the Index (don't want to mount base stations and be restricted to a single room, and price). Would love the new Quest 2 or Rift S, but I've never had a FB account and refuse to create one.

I am sold on the adaptive triggers gimmick. Was playing Worms Rumble out of curiosity, and it makes use of the adaptive triggers. Different trigger pull for each type of gun. I hope most devs take advantage of that capability, I quite like it.

I am sold on the adaptive triggers gimmick. Was playing Worms Rumble out of curiosity, and it makes use of the adaptive triggers. Different trigger pull for each type of gun. I hope most devs take advantage of that capability, I quite like it.
Kinda same here, playing Astro's playroom got me pretty excited for them to be used in future titles. Control (another free PS+ game this month) uses them as well and I liked it there, but I have that on PC already and def prefer a mouse still for a shooter game like that. But I prefer controllers for pretty much any other non FPS or 3rd person shooter like Control where aiming isn't quite as critical, like most of Sony's other exclusives. The PSVR 2 announcement has me excited for another Astro VR game where maybe they'll implement the adaptive triggers and advanced haptics into its VR controllers as well.

Rumor that the firmware which enables internal storage upgrades goes live in Summer.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-open-up-ps5-for-internal-storage-this-summer

jesus christ, thats a long time from now but at least some sort of news i wasnt aware of finally.

M$ shit all over Sony when it comes to additional storage with their expandable Seagate 1TB drive for $220 right at launch. Proprietary bullshit with exclusive rights to Seagate for who knows how long but at least it was available.

jesus christ, thats a long time from now but at least some sort of news i wasnt aware of finally.

M$ shit all over Sony when it comes to additional storage with their expandable Seagate 1TB drive for $220 right at launch. Proprietary bullshit with exclusive rights to Seagate for who knows how long but at least it was available.

I thought MS shit all over their customers for charging $220 for only 1TB of storage, esp for Series S owners who need it the most and the damn SSD costs about 3/4 of the cost of the console itself, completely negating (+ $20 more) the cost savings of the console over Series X. It's def good the option is available I guess, but pretty sure most people would rather use an existing or much cheaper and larger external HDD and transfer games to/from it as needed, which is the bigger issue on PS5 IMO and should be an option there for PS5 games as well as PS4 games.

I thought MS shit all over their customers for charging $220 for only 1TB of storage, esp for Series S owners who need it the most and the damn SSD costs about 3/4 of the cost of the console itself, completely negating (+ $20 more) the cost savings of the console over Series X. It's def good the option is available I guess, but pretty sure most people would rather use an existing or much cheaper and larger external HDD and transfer games to/from it as needed, which is the bigger issue on PS5 IMO and should be an option there for PS5 games as well as PS4 games.

Im not even talking about the series S. IMO they shouldnt have even made that stupid console.

$220 for a 1TB GEN 4 NVME ssd is exactly what it costs now. That price is expected. Im fully aware that ill most probably be paying $480+ for a 2TB GEN 4 ssd that works with the PS5

Im not even talking about the series S. IMO they shouldnt have even made that stupid console.

$220 for a 1TB GEN 4 NVME ssd is exactly what it costs now. That price is expected. Im fully aware that ill most probably be paying $480+ for a 2TB GEN 4 ssd that works with the PS5

$145 for 1TB or 2 TB for $299 right now. I would expect the price to drop a bit by summer as well and continually decline. I don't expect MS to drop the price of the expansion card for years still or maybe they'll give a 2 TB option for the same price in a few years maybe.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
$145 for 1TB or 2 TB for $299 right now. I would expect the price to drop a bit by summer as well and continually decline. I don't expect MS to drop the price of the expansion card for years still or maybe they'll give a 2 TB option for the same price in a few years maybe.

Ive seen those bro but there are only 2 drives i think on the market that actually match the PS5 speeds of 7000 read and about 5000 write

WD SN850 black i think and one more and they are much more expensive

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ive seen those bro but there are only 2 drives i think on the market that actually match the PS5 speeds of 7000 read and about 5000 write

Yeah bro, but the point is that MS is charging the same premium for the slower/standard Gen 4 SSD speeds and NVME drives are still going to continually get cheaper while the MS drive will stay the same price for the foreseeable future.

So this last week I have spent alot more time with my ps5, I love the games and system speed but am I the only one who thinks this new UI is a fucking disaster compared to the ps4? It took me 5 minutes just to find my friends list, and even then it seems super annoying to get to,also creating a party with my friends just seems alot harder than it needs to be. It also seems easier to just press the button on the console to shut it down/put it to sleep than trying to navigate the menu to do this. While I wasn't a fan of the xbox menu's/UI its 100% better than this abortion of a UI Sony has brought to the ps5 and I miss the ps4 menu's so much now.

So this last week I have spent alot more time with my ps5, I love the games and system speed but am I the only one who thinks this new UI is a fucking disaster compared to the ps4? It took me 5 minutes just to find my friends list, and even then it seems super annoying to get to,also creating a party with my friends just seems alot harder than it needs to be. It also seems easier to just press the button on the console to shut it down/put it to sleep than trying to navigate the menu to do this. While I wasn't a fan of the xbox menu's/UI its 100% better than this abortion of a UI Sony has brought to the ps5 and I miss the ps4 menu's so much now.
I don’t have any issues with the UI personally. I don’t find it any different than the PS4 once I got used to where everything was. I haven’t used the Xbox Series X so can’t comment but the UI on the Xbox One X is the worst UI I’ve ever seen.

Eh? The 1tb SN850 is $15 more then the Xbox card. Like other said I do t expect the Xbox expansion card to drop much in the foreseeable future.

There are some weird quirks with the PS5's UI (why do you sometimes hold the PS button while other times you only press it once?), but I don't think it's that bad. I think it might actually be a hair easier to use than the PS4, but neither was that challenging. The PS3 UI was the gold standard, though.
I haven't used a Series X, but I think the Xbox One UI might be the worst console interface I have ever used in my life. Everything is scattered all over the place, nothing is where you'd logically expect, and it takes 5x too many steps just to find a game, open it, or close it. That whole "pinning" concept (that the system controlled 1/2 the time) was just plain ridiculous, too. That's after the Xbox 360's UI was solid. It got worse over time, but the "blades" interface it shipped with was damn-near perfect.
Both system UI's have gotten progressively worse over time. Wild guess, they're following that case study on UI/UX from the MySpace days. More clicks/steps = more chances for someone to see/click an ad...which leads to $. It doesn't matter if you piss people off or confuse them if they're locked into using your service anyway.

I haven't used a Series X, but I think the Xbox One UI might be the worst console interface I have ever used in my life. Everything is scattered all over the place, nothing is where you'd logically expect, and it takes 5x too many steps just to find a game, open it, or close it. That whole "pinning" concept (that the system controlled 1/2 the time) was just plain ridiculous, too. That's after the Xbox 360's UI was solid. It got worse over time, but the "blades" interface it shipped with was damn-near perfect.

Yar, agree with this. The current Xbox UI is not great, feels like it's more designed to sell stuff than actually get to your games. I tried to lock the UI down to a more simplified state for my youngest child's profile, and no luck there. Thing wants to have unrelated blocks/ads everywhere.

Also, Series X has the same interface as the One X - just much faster.

There are some weird quirks with the PS5's UI (why do you sometimes hold the PS button while other times you only press it once?), but I don't think it's that bad. I think it might actually be a hair easier to use than the PS4, but neither was that challenging. The PS3 UI was the gold standard, though.
Both system UI's have gotten progressively worse over time. Wild guess, they're following that case study on UI/UX from the MySpace days. More clicks/steps = more chances for someone to see/click an ad...which leads to $. It doesn't matter if you piss people off or confuse them if they're locked into using your service anyway.

Yar, agree with this. The current Xbox UI is not great, feels like it's more designed to sell stuff than actually get to your games. I tried to lock the UI down to a more simplified state for my youngest child's profile, and no luck there. Thing wants to have unrelated blocks/ads everywhere.

Also, Series X has the same interface as the One X - just much faster.
Ya the xbox UI takes some getting use to but at least its customization makes it easier and I can access most things pretty simply by pressing the xbox button (friends, games and parties are all there), but there's just something about the ps5 UI that does not click with me at all. Its way to obtuse to get to my friends list or power the system off with the controller and like you mentioned Domingo the ps button seems to randomly pick how it reacts to being pressed lol. The ps4 UI was my favorite by far, once I discovered how to put all my games into a folder on the main page it was very easy to get to everything I needed very fast.

I mean thankfully its not like the ps5 is unusable for me or anything, its just 30 seconds of annoyance when ever I try and do anything with a friend that just sticks out like a sore thumb after using the ps4 UI for so long.

Hold and press on ps4 button does 2 different things. There a annoying delay when pressing it. A press brings up the quick action menu. Hold takes you out if the game to the OS.

I def prefer the PS4 UI over the PS5s, but the PS5s is still functional for me. I just miss creating my own folders for certain games and also miss my themes. It has also not quite became natural for me to hold in the PS button to get back to the OS or became an easy habit to remember where to turn off the console from the action menu; I keep going back to the OS to put it into standby like I did the PS4.

I hope they def bring back themes at least for PS5.

I think this is 100% related to the PS5, but has anyone else encountered a situation where if you shut down the console into rest mode, then turn off the TV (keeping input on the PS input), the next time you turn the TV on your volume is kaput? Switching inputs doesn't help, nor does just turning it off and on again from the remote. Have to completely unplug the power cord from the back of the TV to resolve the issue and get sound again. TV is a Sony X950H, and was not an issue before the addition of the PS5.

I think this is 100% related to the PS5, but has anyone else encountered a situation where if you shut down the console into rest mode, then turn off the TV (keeping input on the PS input), the next time you turn the TV on your volume is kaput? Switching inputs doesn't help, nor does just turning it off and on again from the remote. Have to completely unplug the power cord from the back of the TV to resolve the issue and get sound again. TV is a Sony X950H, and was not an issue before the addition of the PS5.
Haven't noticed this on my LG C9. But I rarely turn off and on my TV from the same input as my PS5 and if I do, I get annoyed because my TV will turn on my PS5 using ARC and then I have to wait for it to boot to turn it back off and switch input over to the Shield TV or whatever. But I've never had any audio issues like that at least.

Im running a Vizio TV and haven't had those issues, have you tried turning off cec and seeing if that helps?

I'm sorry...

1614614632797.png

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00246472

To your issue, I have had various issues with rest mode that I just stopped using it. Both my consoles are turned off in "energy saving" mode all the time. Boot up times and game loading times are not enough of an issue for me to miss it compared to the issues it was giving me.

I'm sorry...

View attachment 334459
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00246472

To your issue, I have had various issues with rest mode that I just stopped using it. Both my consoles are turned off in "energy saving" mode all the time. Boot up times and game loading times are not enough of an issue for me to miss it compared to the issues it was giving me.
Ah, you know what? I’m wrong on the TV — I have the X900H. Regardless, I’m gonna play with the CEC thing, and I have the feeling I’ll be doing what you did.

I haven't had the issue with a LG c9.

Back