Official PS5 Thread

Anyone have one of the official Sony controller recharge stations or personal experience with one of the others? I'm thinking of snagging one and a spare controller, but wasn't sure if one model was better than the others. I assumed the Sony one would be the best, but sometimes that isn't the case.

Silly they didn't launch with VRR as standard. Such a crucial item this day and age. Also this 32 GBps HDMI 2.1 port limit is very odd, limiting to 4:2:2 chroma at 120 Hz. I mean I basically play only single player games on my PS5 at 4K/60Hz but still seems like they cheaped out.

The series X doesn’t have this 32gbps problem? It gets full bandwidth?

I have both but the digital foundry videos I’ve been watching, it looks almost identical.

So.....the power 'rest' bug. I dont know if anyone has this but I do. The strange thing is if I now do a 'power off', not rest I can still restart the unit from the controller. Is that normal from a complete shut down?

So.....the power 'rest' bug. I dont know if anyone has this but I do. The strange thing is if I now do a 'power off', not rest I can still restart the unit from the controller. Is that normal from a complete shut down?

Yeah.. turning on the console from a complete shutdown with the controller has been a standard function of every console with wireless controllers in my experience.

You've been able to power consoles on and off via controllers since the launch of the 360/PS3.

You've been able to power consoles on and off via controllers since the launch of the 360/PS3.
Yeah. It was just odd to me that the rest shuts the whole system down, and you cant start it from the controller, but the shut down you can.

Been rocking mine in standby since launch day. No problems here, possibly exaggerated?

Yeah. It was just odd to me that the rest shuts the whole system down, and you cant start it from the controller, but the shut down you can.
Idk something screwed up with your ps5. You should be able to start it up with the controller from a cold boot. Even if you unplug it from the wall you can still start it with your controller. Something with your shut down bug must be unsyncing the controller.

No rest bug on either of my PS5s. Have been using rest mode whenever I’m done playing.

Idk something screwed up with your ps5. You should be able to start it up with the controller from a cold boot. Even if you unplug it from the wall you can still start it with your controller. Something with your shut down bug must be unsyncing the controller.

There is a bug that some unit owners are reporting. If I power down to 'rest' when I go back to restart from the controller nothing happens. I have manually hit the button on the unit, which then says it is 'rebuilding'. After that I get a message saying I should not unplug the unit without shutting down. So the system is reading the 'rest' as an unplug. The only solution right now is to power off not rest, then I'm able to restart from the controller.

There is a bug that some unit owners are reporting. If I power down to 'rest' when I go back to restart from the controller nothing happens. I have manually hit the button on the unit, which then says it is 'rebuilding'. After that I get a message saying I should not unplug the unit without shutting down. So the system is reading the 'rest' as an unplug. The only solution right now is to power off not rest, then I'm able to restart from the controller.
Yes then that would mean it does desync from the controller when it goes in recovery mode. When running recovery mode on ps4 you always had to plug to use it.

What TVs are you guys pairing this baby up onto? Looking for something within the 55-65" range that won't bust the bank account too much. Maybe an easier question is, what's the least expensive 4K TV within that size range that will utilize all of the PS5 hardware...any experts?

What TVs are you guys pairing this baby up onto? Looking for something within the 55-65" range that won't bust the bank account too much. Maybe an easier question is, what's the least expensive 4K TV within that size range that will utilize all of the PS5 hardware...any experts?
*Vizio M7 is the best budget TV. It has quantum dot technology, for a much better coverage of the color spectrum/color gamut. Basically no other $300-$400 TV has Quantum dot. Input lag is as low as good monitors. Response times are better than average for a VA panel. Its a 60hz panel but it does have VRR support and it is currently working correctly. The local dimming feature is basic and actually makes the image worse. Turn it off.

PS5 does not currently support VRR, but it should in a future update.

*The next step up would be Vizio again. This time, the Vizio P series Quantum 2020.

The VA panel has a really excellent response time. Also Quantum dot. Contrast is a little bit better, as the local dimming actually works, for a small improvement. It gets brighter than most budget and midrange TVs. Meaning, it actually does a good job with HDR. Actually, it even gets brighter than the OLEDs. Its generally accepted this TV is a great value option for HDR. Input lag at 60hz is slightly worse. About 3ms worse than the M7, but its still a good rating and comparable to monitors. It supports 120hz and has VRR, but the VRR is bugged at 120hz. It is expected to be fixed with a firmware update. Also, there is no input lag improvement at 120hz, which may be a bug, as well.

*Another interesting mid-range value TV is the TCL 6 series. It uses mini LED's for Full Array Local Dimming. The overall contrast is comparable to the high end LEDs, for a lot less money. better contrast than the Vizio P series. Get similarly bright for similarly good HDR performance. 120hz panel. The drawbacks with the TCL is the input lag at 60hz is fairly high. Its still not terrible. But it would be noticeable to someone really into fighting games or anything really fast paced which is locked to 60hz. Input lag does benefit from 120hz and at that point, it is comparable to good monitors. Its supposed to support freesync, but it is currently not working. HDMI forum standard for VRR does work. So if you have an Xbox, VRR does work, with that.

After that.......you basically choose between OLED TVs or the really high end LED tvs.

*For an LED TV, I would recommend the Samsung Q80T or Q90T.

120hz panels. Freesync and Gsync support (if you have Ampere) which actually works. Excellent response times on the panels. Low input lag, as low as good monitors. And 120hz also gives you a lower input lag than 60hz, as it should.
Great Color gamut and nearly accurate out of the box. you probably won't need to do a lot of adjustments or get pro calibration.
Samsung is putting a special layer in these TVs which noticeably improves the viewing angles. Some other companies are trying this, but the results aren't nearly as good. An example would be Sony.

The main difference between the Q80T and Q90T, is the Q90 has local dimming which works well and effectively doubles the contrast compared to the Q80T. The Q80T still has solid contrast, but the Q90T is indeed a step up. And they usually cost very similar. Also, the Q90T gets a fair bit brighter, making it a better choice for HDR. Better than an OLED.

-note, the Q80T and Q90T special layer for viewing angles are not in the 50 inch and smaller models. you have to buy a 55 inch or larger. Same with VRR support, its not in the 50 inch and smaller.

*For OLED there are basically two main choices: LG and Vizio.

Their performance is nearly identical and Vizio OLED even uses LG panels.

the main difference is the LG has slightly lower input lag. And LG potentially supports Gsync for Ampere. However, I have seen a lot of complaints about the VRR support on LG's TVs. YMMV. And Vizio's OLED currently are not coming very color accurate, out of the box. Vizio are usually a couple of hundred dollars cheaper.

And actually, VRR support on Vizio's OLED is not currently working. expected to be fixed in a firmware update.

Sony has really nice OLED and their color response is better and are a bit more accurate out of the box. But, they don't support VRR and I haven't heard about adding it in future firmware. They also usually cost more.

If you don't know about OLED:

nearly instant response times
very low input lag
infinite black level, as every single pixel is individually lit
excellent viewing angles. nearly as good as Plasma TVs.
They do suffere from temporary image retention. But you generally don't have to do anything except watch something different, to clear it up. I had an LG plasma like that and it was no big deal.
permanent burn-in is possible. But that requires something to be left on the screen for dozens of hours. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you watch/play hundreds of hours of the same stuff with static graphics on the screen (channel logos, health bars, etc) and basically don't watch or play anything else.

Last edited:
I’m using the 2020 Sony x900H 55” for my PS5 at my shop and the 65” version at home for my Xbox Series X

both are incredible 120hz panels with hdmi 2.1 and all that jazz

amazing tv’s

I also love it because it’s fast Android tv platform with google play store that allows me to comfortably download and use Kodi on the tv itself without a set top box like a shield tv or what not

I’m using the 2020 Sony x900H 55” for my PS5 at my shop and the 65” version at home for my Xbox Series X

both are incredible 120hz panels with hdmi 2.1 and all that jazz

amazing tv’s

I also love it because it’s fast Android tv platform with google play store that allows me to comfortably download and use Kodi on the tv itself without a set top box like a shield tv or what not

I just bought the 75" version, unfortunately I can't get my hands on any devices with HDMI 2.1 yet.
I'd like to get the 55" for my room at some point.

Thank you both. Will review the reply and visit the site. Trying to start my game/office room and have been stuck on which TV to put in there alongside the PS5.
I always go by these guys. https://www.rtings.com/
*Vizio M7 is the best budget TV. It has quantum dot technology, for a much better coverage of the color spectrum/color gamut. Basically no other $300-$400 TV has Quantum dot. Input lag is as low as good monitors. Response times are better than average for a VA panel. Its a 60hz panel but it does have VRR support and it is currently working correctly. The local dimming feature is basic and actually makes the image worse. Turn it off.

PS5 does not currently support VRR, but it should in a future update.

*The next step up would be Vizio again. This time, the Vizio P series Quantum 2020.

The VA panel has a really excellent response time. Also Quantum dot. Contrast is a little bit better, as the local dimming actually works, for a small improvement. It gets brighter than most budget and midrange TVs. Meaning, it actually does a good job with HDR. Actually, it even gets brighter than the OLEDs. Its generally accepted this TV is a great value option for HDR. Input lag at 60hz is slightly worse. About 3ms worse than the M7, but its still a good rating and comparable to monitors. It supports 120hz and has VRR, but the VRR is bugged at 120hz. It is expected to be fixed with a firmware update. Also, there is no input lag improvement at 120hz, which may be a bug, as well.

*Another interesting mid-range value TV is the TCL 6 series. It uses mini LED's for Full Array Local Dimming. The overall contrast is comparable to the high end LEDs, for a lot less money. better contrast than the Vizio P series. Get similarly bright for similarly good HDR performance. 120hz panel. The drawbacks with the TCL is the input lag at 60hz is fairly high. Its still not terrible. But it would be noticeable to someone really into fighting games or anything really fast paced which is locked to 60hz. Input lag does benefit from 120hz and at that point, it is comparable to good monitors. Its supposed to support freesync, but it is currently not working. HDMI forum standard for VRR does work. So if you have an Xbox, VRR does work, with that.

After that.......you basically choose between OLED TVs or the really high end LED tvs.

*For an LED TV, I would recommend the Samsung Q80T or Q90T.

120hz panels. Freesync and Gsync support (if you have Ampere) which actually works. Excellent response times on the panels. Low input lag, as low as good monitors. And 120hz also gives you a lower input lag than 60hz, as it should.
Great Color gamut and nearly accurate out of the box. you probably won't need to do a lot of adjustments or get pro calibration.
Samsung is putting a special layer in these TVs which noticeably improves the viewing angles. Some other companies are trying this, but the results aren't nearly as good. An example would be Sony.

The main difference between the Q80T and Q90T, is the Q90 has local dimming which works well and effectively doubles the contrast compared to the Q80T. The Q80T still has solid contrast, but the Q90T is indeed a step up. And they usually cost very similar. Also, the Q90T gets a fair bit brighter, making it a better choice for HDR. Better than an OLED.

-note, the Q80T and Q90T special layer for viewing angles are not in the 50 inch and smaller models. you have to buy a 55 inch or larger. Same with VRR support, its not in the 50 inch and smaller.

*For OLED there are basically two main choices: LG and Vizio.

Their performance is nearly identical and Vizio OLED even uses LG panels.

the main difference is the LG has slightly lower input lag. And LG potentially supports Gsync for Ampere. However, I have seen a lot of complaints about the VRR support on LG's TVs. YMMV. And Vizio's OLED currently are not coming very color accurate, out of the box. Vizio are usually a couple of hundred dollars cheaper.

And actually, VRR support on Vizio's OLED is not currently working. expected to be fixed in a firmware update.

Sony has really nice OLED and their color response is better and are a bit more accurate out of the box. But, they don't support VRR and I haven't heard about adding it in future firmware. They also usually cost more.

If you don't know about OLED:

nearly instant response times
very low input lag
infinite black level, as every single pixel is individually lit
excellent viewing angles. nearly as good as Plasma TVs.
They do suffere from temporary image retention. But you generally don't have to do anything except watch something different, to clear it up. I had an LG plasma like that and it was no big deal.
permanent burn-in is possible. But that requires something to be left on the screen for dozens of hours. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you watch/play hundreds of hours of the same stuff with static graphics on the screen (channel logos, health bars, etc) and basically don't watch or play anything else.

Using a LG OLED 65CX. Amazing TV for the PS5. It replaced a 65B6 that I used for 4 years prior in the PS4.

xg5j4cmc2e361.jpg

Found this on the Walmart Reddit forums

Anyone here have their PS5 die or have major issues? It happened to one of my friends yesterday. It simply wouldn't start after working fine for 4-5 days. No lights, no noise, nothing. Tried plugging in other devices into the same outlet and they turned on normally. He's starting the RMA process with Sony this morning. I couldn't have have a better RMA experience with Sony in the PS3 era (new system in 48 hours with free airmail shipping both ways), so I'll be curious to see what his experience is like.

Anyone here have their PS5 die or have major issues? It happened to one of my friends yesterday. It simply wouldn't start after working fine for 4-5 days. No lights, no noise, nothing. Tried plugging in other devices into the same outlet and they turned on normally. He's starting the RMA process with Sony this morning. I couldn't have have a better RMA experience with Sony in the PS3 era (new system in 48 hours with free airmail shipping both ways), so I'll be curious to see what his experience is like.
Shit happens.

No doubt. That's basically the case with anything. Was just curious if anyone else had to RMA one yet.
So far my launch console has been rock solid with no issues involving rebuilding the ssd, fan/coil whine or any other strangeness. Knock on wood but I seem to be clear of issues, same with my xsx.

So far my launch console has been rock solid with no issues involving rebuilding the ssd, fan/coil whine or any other strangeness. Knock on wood but I seem to be clear of issues, same with my xsx.

Same. My own PS5 has been trouble-free and is definitely one of the quiet ones. I can't hear it at all. My cable box fans are literally louder. So far I've made 2 complete passes through Demon's Souls and got a Platinum trophy for Astro's Playroom. I've gotten 2 crashes, but both were apparently known issues with DS and have already been patched.

I'm playing series x on a 65" Vizio PQX (6 months old whatever model year that is) and the picture is great. Also fairly affordable from my understanding.

My ps5 is on a crummy TCL 4 series from a few years back, looks good but it's not a great set.

Anyways no issues with my PS5, disc drive is kinda loud but it's not constant.

So basically you have to pay $950 on Ebay for a PS5 ?

Plenty of people on this forum have bought them without doing that, so no. Is it a pain in the ass to get one via normal means? Yup, but it's absolutely possible.

Nope. I think it is easier then getting any pc hardware atm. I managed to get two for me and a friend.
The 5800x is pretty easy to get without over paying crazy prices. GPU is harder seems 5700XT are easier to find.

Nope. I think it is easier then getting any pc hardware atm. I managed to get two for me and a friend.

How did you do it? I've all but written it off at this point. I have abysmal luck I suppose.

So called normal means like Domingo said have failed utterly. I am not going to be up in the middle of the night spamming F5 on five different sites on a whim.

Last edited:
How did you do it? I've all but written it off at this point. I have abysmal luck I suppose.

So called normal means like Domingo said have failed utterly. I am not going to be up in the middle of the night spamming F5 on five different sites on a whim.
Follow twitter users and turn on notifications:

SiteSupply
GYX Deals
Wario64

There's more but they all retweet each other. As soon as they post a drop you've gotta be on it. Post launch I've had best luck with online order for store pickup at best buy and target. Sony Direct queue is awful and full of failure, as is gamestop and walmart. Costco is a great bet if you have a membership. I honestly think it's so botted to shit now that is nigh impossible without alternative means. Good luck, I'm hanging up my 🤡 suit.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Just started demon's souls tonight. First Souls game, seems fun. Doesn't hold your hand or explain too much.

No spoilers or nonsense, the simplest advice I can give for this game (all of the others) is to learn how long your weapon will reach and learn to circle around enemies. The reach thing will help you hit approaching enemies before they can hit you. Circling will allow you to avoid hits and get a better/safer position. You can add-in rolls later, but you actually don't really need to roll much for the first 1/2 of the game. Normal movement will work just fine.

Back