Official Overwatch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 245375
  • Start date
Game is great but the 20 tickrate pisses me off.

In practice I haven't had any real problems with hit registration or anything. Modern netcode saves a lot of grief.

Actual competitive / custom games can enable a higher setting.

In practice I haven't had any real problems with hit registration or anything. Modern netcode saves a lot of grief.

Actual competitive / custom games can enable a higher setting.

I play with a group of about 10 friends, all fairly competitive players and we've all run into instances where on your screen you're rounding a corner but on the other players you're still visible and get shot. Happened several times yesterday. We shouldn't have to setup custom games to get 60 tick, it should be enabled across the board.

In 2016 I don't disagree

Getting hit around the corner is mostly on lag compensation. The solutions are less latency, which you will shave some off with a higher tick rate, or less aggresive lag compensation at the cost of people with high pings needing to lead shots

Played for a day. Requesting a refund. The game is fine when I'm matched against people of my skill level but I keep getting matched with people way better than I am. I'm just not that interested in dedicating a ton of time to this to have a fun experience. I used to be above average in TF2, UT2003. Guess not, anymore.

Played for a day. Requesting a refund. The game is fine when I'm matched against people of my skill level but I keep getting matched with people way better than I am. I'm just not that interested in dedicating a ton of time to this to have a fun experience. I used to be above average in TF2, UT2003. Guess not, anymore.
they are coming out with ranked matches soon which will do exactly what you're asking for :) They said it will be out next month. They have delayed it because it had an issue of pitting teams of high ranked players vs low ranked players which as you clearly stated is no fun for the lower tier player.

they are coming out with ranked matches soon which will do exactly what you're asking for :) They said it will be out next month. They have delayed it because it had an issue of pitting teams of high ranked players vs low ranked players which as you clearly stated is no fun for the lower tier player.

I had assumed for a full priced title it would have basic skill level match making. Oh well, not going to wait a 'month'.

Get gud

I had assumed for a full priced title it would have basic skill level match making. Oh well, not going to wait a 'month'.

I agree it should of, I'm still enjoying the game but I get why you aren't. If anything get your refund now and maybe in a month when they release the new mode you can snag a key for cheap ;)

That response to any criticism about a game pretty much just makes me not want to purchase that particular game.

If that is what the community is like...no thanks.

I was hoping this game would be a good casual play (sounded like it at first) but if there is already that level of competitive assholes then forget it.

As for ranked matches...in pretty much all experiences I've had with "ranked" matches, it just attracts the hackers.

That response to any criticism about a game pretty much just makes me not want to purchase that particular game.

I was hoping this game would be a good casual play (sounded like it at first) but if there is already that level of competitive assholes then forget it.

As for ranked matches...in pretty much all experiences I've had with "ranked" matches, it just attracts the hackers.
this is one of the biger reasons why I got it on the console. Only ran into 1 person who was a douche in chat and muted him, beyond that its all been friendly people chatting or silence lol. (and no hackers to really worry about like the pc lol)

Don't judge a game community solely by DPI's drive-by shitposts. In my experience with this game, there's pretty much zero communication at a casual level. That may be a drawback to some, but for others that means not having to deal people who think being "competitive" means acting like a complete twat.

I think that interpretation of the word "competitive" is what the root of the problem is. To me, being competitive means attacking the objective, not playing sniper when your team already has one and communicating in a useful, non-douchebag way. To a lot of younger players, being competitive means insulting everyone on your team and screaming into the mic. Because clearly it's the team's fault and yelling at them will solve problems.

To the subject of hacking. Cheating, and Valve's inaction when it came to stamping it out, was one the main reasons I stopped playing Source engine shooters. Shooters which I had dumped thousands of hours into. Blizzard is not a dev that takes cheating lightly and has been known to sue cheat makers. Prior to the launch of OW, I took a look at a few cheating forums. The largest one's Overwatch section consisted of four or five inactive threads. The most viewed thread was a question from a poster asking whether the forum owners would reveal user information should Blizzard file suit. The forum rep said they would, as they follow all laws and obey subpoenas.

I haven't encountered any hackers in this game yet. Granted, I only have about 15 hours logged and ranked mode isn't available yet, but there's a big difference between the cheating scene in ranked CSGO (where the game can be had for less than $10 and the developer can't be bothered to create an effective anti-cheat) and the cheating scene in Overwatch (where the game is $40 and cheat makers are scared Blizzard might sic their lawyers on them)
this is one of the bigger reasons why I got it on the console. Only ran into 1 person who was a douche in chat and muted him, beyond that its all been friendly people chatting or silence lol.
I haven't really seen any large numbers of toxic players, maybe one per session. There was one night where I squelched around 5 players though.

And to remind everyone, you can choose to avoid individual players via the social menu ("p" key, right-click on player icon) and the matchmaking system will try to keep you separate. On the flip-side, you can prefer to be matched with non-douche players. I mentioned this during a game when some kid was being a douche and people thanked me for pointing out the avoid feature, even his own teammates.

Picked this up today and played for a couple hours, it's fairly fun so far and is the kind of game that can be played casually solo or more seriously if you have a team. You can definitely feel the 'noobification' touch by Blizzard to make sure everyone no matter their skill level can get a kill or two occasionally.

Characters which sync/buff each other exponentially increase your team's effectiveness which is good for teamwork/competitive play but is bad for the other 98% of players who will be playing the game casually. Casual players will want to play a character that's fun to them rather than one that's necessary for teamwork. The huge reliance on teamwork means you'll see less solo-skill gameplay (for example like 1vX clutches in counterstrike).

If you're thinking of picking up one of the recent FPS-with-MOBA-influence games, this is probably the one which will have the longest shelf life and developer support. Lots of videos/streams of gameplay out there to help you make up your mind. It does have the "Blizzard quality" feel to it where the time flies by while you're playing - if you enjoy it even a little bit you'll probably get your money's worth.

This game requires at least some team balance. Most people like to be offensive or sniper types. Very few willing to Tank or Heal. I forced myself to try and compliment the team anyway I can to support the teams builds. Win or Lose it makes the game more enjoyable because instead of counting how many people you killed you actually count how many friendlies you kept protected or alive. Now I have the most fun playing as Lucio or Tanking with Reinhardt. The game is good well balanced and polished. This is coming from a 47 year old!

Just picked this up...seems cool so far. I played an AI game with some other randoms as Widowmaker and goddamn she is powerful. I had a ridiculous number of kills.

So, not too long into the game but already I can see where having an inexperienced team is profoundly frustrating. If you don't pick the right classes and are not at least halfway competent, you have really no chance of winning.

Also, why are the wait times for matchmaking so long? First few matches and it's taking like 2+ minutes to find a match. Then someone leaves and you get reinstanced...ugh. Matchmaking is fucking stupid.

So, not too long into the game but already I can see where having an inexperienced team is profoundly frustrating. If you don't pick the right classes and are not at least halfway competent, you have really no chance of winning.

Also, why are the wait times for matchmaking so long? First few matches and it's taking like 2+ minutes to find a match. Then someone leaves and you get reinstanced...ugh. Matchmaking is fucking stupid.

Not good to hear :( ps4 has been a constant 8-15 second Que time since launch. Wonder how healthy the pc community is for this game

Last edited:
It took me far less time to find a Vs. AI match than an actual PvP. Actually, I kind of like the AI matches though...I started playing T-Hunt a lot in RB6: Siege because at least it wasn't filled with assholes and hackers.

It's actually fun running around flanking and getting behind unsuspecting teams with roadhog and unleashing his ultimate. This is replacing R6 Siege as my go to game.

It took me far less time to find a Vs. AI match than an actual PvP. Actually, I kind of like the AI matches though...I started playing T-Hunt a lot in RB6: Siege because at least it wasn't filled with assholes and hackers.
You should be getting much faster matchmaking the more you play. When I started I was getting 1 minute to 2 minute wait times. Once I hit level 10, the matchmaking takes less than 15 seconds 90% of the time. It's so fast actually, I usually don't have enough time to open one loot box in between new games.

My matchmaking times for solo queues are <5 seconds most of the time. Even with a six-stack it takes ~30 seconds, *maybe* a minute if it's a particularly long queue. I've never sat in the matchmaking queue for 2+ minutes.

I tried the AI mode and it started out with searching for a game which I thought was strange, then it found one, then the game started and I just randomly said "Testing" into the mic and someone said something.
I was kinda confused since I thought the game would be me with an AI team vs an AI team. I didn't realize it was 6 people vs an AI team.

Also played a game and there was a player at rank 68 already. I played for a total of 23 hours so far and only rank 30.

can you all see my player stats on this link,
Overwatch

Last edited:
My Battle.net name is MavericK#11778 if anyone wants to add / play sometime.

I'm actually having a lot of fun just playing AI matches, getting used to the different characters.

Just to clarify - the matchmaking *is* skill-based. The game is not just throwing you into a match with the first 11 people it finds, it's actually a fairly sophisticated system that takes a number of things into account when deciding who to put you up against. The unfortunate thing is that Blizzard has done a fairly poor job of communicating this to people, and so a LOT of people seem to think it's a matter of getting put on a big list when you hit "quick play" and when your number comes up you get in a game and there's no consideration for player skill or past performance. Blizzard would do well to patch the game's UI so as to better communicate that the basic matchmaking system does take skill into account, it's not just a "first-come first-server" system throwing people together haphazardly.

Just to clarify - the matchmaking *is* skill-based. The game is not just throwing you into a match with the first 11 people it finds, it's actually a fairly sophisticated system that takes a number of things into account when deciding who to put you up against. The unfortunate thing is that Blizzard has done a fairly poor job of communicating this to people, and so a LOT of people seem to think it's a matter of getting put on a big list when you hit "quick play" and when your number comes up you get in a game and there's no consideration for player skill or past performance. Blizzard would do well to patch the game's UI so as to better communicate that the basic matchmaking system does take skill into account, it's not just a "first-come first-server" system throwing people together haphazardly.

I kept the game and continued playing. I'm decent enough to actually have a rank number with Mei. A couple days ago I played 9 random matches and 7 games were blowout losses. Two I joined were seconds from losing (this seems to be a fun new trend where players leave losing matches before the loss hits).

Close matches where teams are evenly matched are a very rare thing for me, unless I'm playing with a group. Then, it's either close matches or the other team is overwhelmingly good.

I love and hate this game! :D

I love it because its extremely fun, the characters are diverse enough, and there are enough to choose from (for now) that its not bad at all

I hate it because as many others have stated, its not balancing well yet. I just started playing it last night, (did play for 6 hours), but boy, getting my butt handed to me the entire time until the 4th or so hour when I really started getting the feel for Hanzo, Gengi and Bastion. D.Va is super fun as well.

Hanzo is such a crap character. He has some kind of built in aimbot or something. Last night I kept getting ridiculously 1 shot killed by him, and I he kill cam the guy wasn't even aiming directly at me! I understand flight trajectories and such, but seriously there was no way that shot could have killed me. So fucking stupid. Maybe it's the poor net code or tick rate that made it look worse, I was raging though.

Hanzo is such a crap character. He has some kind of built in aimbot or something. Last night I kept getting ridiculously 1 shot killed by him, and I he kill cam the guy wasn't even aiming directly at me! I understand flight trajectories and such, but seriously there was no way that shot could have killed me. So fucking stupid. Maybe it's the poor net code or tick rate that made it look worse, I was raging though.

Hanzo arrows get an enormous hitbox. He's basically firing cannon balls and not arrows.

Yeah, I tried venturing into PvP and it was basically a shitshow every round. There was some rank 1 on the other team just destroying us with the blue Egyptian rocket girl...almost seemed like hacking but I dunno. Playing with randoms just sucks, no one wants to support the team and everyone just picks the offensive characters, even on defense. Several times I was forced to switch characters just because no one else would play a healer of any kind.

I need some sort of a chart showing which characters counter which others, and why...it doesn't seem obvious to me.

Try playing him in the practice mode and you'll see why: as SilverSliver said he gets a giant projectile hitbox and any arrows that go even remotely near a character's head will register as a headshot. It's the same problem with the Sniper's "Huntsman" weapon in TF2, which was why it was disappointing to see it copied into OW as a standalone character.

The poor client update rate (20Hz) doesn't help either.

Anyone experience gimmick match ups yet? Gone against 6 DVa, 6 Hanzo, and 6 Widowmaker teams.

Was Roadhog and run around a corner and instantly died, was wondering what hit me and then saw 6 Widowmakers. Spent the rest of the match as Genji just getting them to kill each other with deflect.

All DVa team was kinda amusing to play against.

I ran into an all Soldier 76 team. On the attack they rolled us. On Defence they started out as all Soldier but then changed as we were rolling them.

Back