official MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI thread

Yes, of course it supports DDR400 memory. Most of us are running that, either stock or overclocked. What memory slots are you using?

As for the other question above, the highest VDIMM is 2.85v

Max-Powers said:
does this mobo not support pc3200 memory? iv tried everything and cant get my computer to boot up windows. got corsair pc3200xl. messed with all the settings and i still always fail memtest 86. how many people are using this mobo with pc3200?

Maybe you said this earlier in one of your posts, but what kind of voltages are you running on your Vdimm? Is it over stock? I'd try 2.75V. I know you tried different settings, but maybe you tried the stock setting and then 2.85V and nothing in between :).

i run my single stick of pc3200xl in the first slot. doesnt work in the 2nd slot. dont know why. still doesnt work with 2.75 voltage....

Anarchonixx said:
Yes, of course it supports DDR400 memory. Most of us are running that, either stock or overclocked. What memory slots are you using?

As for the other question above, the highest VDIMM is 2.85v

and 3.3V with simple mod. I saw OPG using DDR booster on XS forum, have to test it tomorrow also...

Max-Powers said:
i run my single stick of pc3200xl in the first slot. doesnt work in the 2nd slot. dont know why. still doesnt work with 2.75 voltage....

Did you try dimms 3 and 4? Do you have 1 stick or 2?

Teukka76 said:
and 3.3V with simple mod.

How do you manage that? Do you have a link to instructions?

Also, aside from the normal issue of not being able to OC quite as high, you can still run/overclock 4 DIMMs and have them running dual channel, correct?

Hi folks,

I've put together an FX-55 system based on this MB and I'm having some issues with getting past about 210FSB, regardless of multiplier. I think my RAM choice wasn't the best for this MB, given its voltage thirst - has anybody found the best RAM for this board for max OC performance?

My system:

FX-55
K8N Neo4 Plat SLI
1xEVGA 6800GT
2x512MB OCZ PC3200 Gold VX
2xWD 74GB Raptors (RAID 0)
OCZ 520w PSU
Thermalright XP-90c

I have dropped the multi to 9x and tried boosting the FSB and got to about 215 before it crapped out; running at the stock 13x muti I lose Prime95 stability after 212FSB. I tried boosting the CPU and RAM voltage to max without any improvement. As you can see from the screenshot, I'm running 2.5-3-3-7...I would sure like to do better than that. Temps seem fine -- I am at 40c idle, peaking into the low 50's under intense load.

Any advice? I am considering switching to the DFI Lanparty SLI board, but I'd sure rather just slap in some magic uber-RAM which will let me get past this low FSB issue.

Attached is the relevant info for my "stock" plus 1T memory timings configuration. I will post a screenshot of this info and 210FSB next.

Thanks!
darksquid

Stock (/w 1T):
stock_bench.jpg

OC 210FSB
oc210_bench.jpg

I've read about how alot of people are having trouble getting a high FSB overclock with the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI motherboard (ie, no POST or have to power on and off a few times for POST). I had the same problems until I got the right kind of memory. Here are my current system specs:

Winchester 3000+ @ 2.7GHz (337FSB w/ 8x Mult; HTT x3; 1.45v +3.3% core); Aircooled
PQI3200-2048DB RAM (2x1GB PC3200 PQI Turbo Memory)
MSI 6800 (x2) video cards @ 430/800
Maxtor 160GB SATA x2 RAID (striped)
Ultra 600 Watt continuous power P/S

In order for the memory to run at it's proper 400Mhz speed, the memory had to be adjusted to 120Mhz in the BIOS.

Here is the URL for the memory:
http://www.pqimemory.com/spec.asp?l...3200-2048DB.htm

I picked up this memory at Fry's and am very happy with it. It comes with good quality copper heatsinks. And for only $290 for a total of 2GBs, it's hard to beat.

I've been running my system with the above settings for a week now without any problems. I can play the most current 3D games and benchmarks with ease -- 100% stable.
I hope this information helps some of you out.

I've read about how alot of people are having trouble getting a high FSB overclock with the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI motherboard (ie, no POST or have to power on and off a few times for POST). I had the same problems until I got the right kind of memory. Here are my current system specs:

Winchester 3000+ @ 2.7GHz (337FSB w/ 8x Mult; HTT x3; 1.45v +3.3% core); Aircooled
PQI3200-2048DB RAM (2x1GB PC3200 PQI Turbo Memory)
MSI 6800 (x2) video cards @ 430/800
Maxtor 160GB SATA x2 RAID (striped)
Ultra 600 Watt continuous power P/S

In order for the memory to run at it's proper 400Mhz speed, the memory had to be adjusted to 120Mhz in the BIOS.

Here is the new URL for the memory:
http://www.pqimemory.com/spec.asp?link=/dc/PQI3200-2048DB.htm
(Sorry about my previous post --- the URL link has changed to the line above).

I picked up this memory at Fry's and am very happy with it. It comes with good quality copper heatsinks. And for only $290 for a total of 2GBs, it's hard to beat.

I've been running my system with the above settings for a week now without any problems. I can play the most current 3D games and benchmarks with ease -- 100% stable.
I hope this information helps some of you out.

I'm running my system at 280 HTT with the memory running at 1 to 1 (560 ) with SPD timmings. You need a good power supply. I have posted at 290 HTT and will probably go higher but i havn't spent the time playing with the settings. CPU volts were 1.45,memory 2,75 and other volts default. I would lower the CPU multiplier to 10 and the HT multiplier to 3X and eliminate those to find your higest HTT setting.You will probably have to lower the memory to lower multip;ier to eliminate the memory as a problem.

i bought a K8N Neo4 Platinum last week but due to late shipping of my CPU I couldn't get my system built and running till monday. it's seems to run ok but every now and then i get random hard reboots while under normal operation immediately following which it refuses to even post and using the diagnostic LEDs on the PCI bracket I found it hangs on "BIOS Sign On". I am able to reboot after this and it then loads fine and continues to run till it occurs again (this seems to have been fixed by updating bios if it happens again i'll update). But when i try to o/c even by as little at 5mhz it crashes and again doesn't even post but this time even rebooting doesnt help i have to reset bios (damn that little button is so much easier than messing about with jumpers) i'm wondering if anyone has had this problem or knows what i should do, just RMA it and swap for another of the same or a totally different board? or find a fix

Full Sys Specs:
K8N Neo4 Platinum
A64 Winchester 3200 hsf- Gigabyte 3d-cooler Ultra
OCZ Premier DDR400 CL 2.5-3-3-7 (2x512mb)
Sapphire X800 XL (PCI-E)
Creative Audigy 2
Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 160GB (SATA)
Western Digital Cavier SE 80Gb (IDE)
and i'm running XP Pro SP1

Supasniper said:
Full Sys Specs:
K8N Neo4 Platinum
A64 Winchester 3200 hsf- Gigabyte 3d-cooler Ultra
OCZ Premier DDR400 CL 2.5-3-3-7 (2x512mb)
Sapphire X800 XL
Creative Audigy 2
Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 160GB (SATA)
Western Digital Cavier SE 80Gb (IDE)
and i'm running XP Pro SP1

I missed it in your specs, but what's the power supply? On these newer boards the power supply is an important piece as one that has insufficient current (Amps, or A) will result in stability and other problems.

darksquid said:
Hi folks,

I've put together an FX-55 system based on this MB and I'm having some issues with getting past about 210FSB, regardless of multiplier. I think my RAM choice wasn't the best for this MB, given its voltage thirst - has anybody found the best RAM for this board for max OC performance?

My system:

FX-55
K8N Neo4 Plat SLI
1xEVGA 6800GT
OCZ 520w PSU
Thermalright XP-90c

I have dropped the multi to 9x and tried boosting the FSB and got to about 215 before it crapped out; running at the stock 13x muti I lose Prime95 stability after 212FSB. I tried boosting the CPU and RAM voltage to max without any improvement. As you can see from the screenshot, I'm running 2.5-3-3-7...I would sure like to do better than that. Temps seem fine -- I am at 40c idle, peaking into the low 50's under intense load.

Any advice? I am considering switching to the DFI Lanparty SLI board, but I'd sure rather just slap in some magic uber-RAM which will let me get past this low FSB issue.

Attached is the relevant info for my "stock" plus 1T memory timings configuration. I will post a screenshot of this info and 210FSB next.

Thanks!
darksquid

I think that RAM needs more juice (either that or that chip just doesn't go any further). I think some TCCD's would go a long way to making that board happy. I run the G.Skill's and I get about 280HTT 1:1.

All booting problems with high FSB that I've seen has been with winchester CBBID cpu's. I just swapped my GBLE set to old school BH5 ram have to test if it helps...

I think I made pretty good deal I gave 1GB set of GBLE and got 1GB set of Twinmos BH5 PC3200 + $150... ;)

Teukka76 said:
All booting problems with high FSB that I've seen has been with winchester CBBID cpu's. I just swapped my GBLE set to old school BH5 ram have to test if it helps...

I think I made pretty good deal I gave 1GB set of GBLE and got 1GB set of Twinmos BH5 PC3200 + $150... ;)

Let us know how high you can get with that BH5 on this board .. I've been thinking about getting a neo4 with the twinmos bh5 stuff.

Thanks!

If you're going to use UTT or BH-5 memory chips, get the DFI board, up to 4 volts vdimm. BH-5 and UTT typically need 3.3-3.6 volts to run at high speeds and low timings. With 3.6 volts you might get DDR520 with 2-2-2 timings.

I saw OnePageBook using DDR-booster on NEO4 at ZS forum, he was running 2x256MB BH5 @592MHz 2-2-5-2 :eek:

I Should get the booster tomorrow and I'll run some tests on my Neo4 SLI at weekend.

Thanks for the info guys; I ordered some new G.Skill ram from newegg (F1-3200DSU2-1GBLE). I'll give that a shot and report back tomorrow when it arrives.

-ds

I'm looking to use this mobo in my next system build but I have a concern with the -5V requirement. I have noticed that some people posting in this thread have said that they don't have a -5V line and they are having no issues at all, but it is listed as a requirment for the board. I have been looking at the Thermaltake PurePower TWV500W because of the modular plug setup. It doesn't list -5V as an output so my best guess is it doesn't have it (awaiting a reply from thermaltake for confirmation). My questions are.. Will the motherboard still function completely without the -5V? If not is there a power supply that has this modular design and will work with this board if the thermaltake one doesn't?

Max|m said:
snip snip, -5v, snip snip
I haven't researched about the -5v thing at all, so I'm just gonna tell you my experience with it. I built my system, and it all worked.

My PSU is an OCZ Modstream 450w, which has a modular design, so I guess that's an option for you in case.

I'm tired, so I was as direct as I could be, but GL. The -5v requirement is only needed for the sound, from the very little I've read regarding the issue, so even if it doesn't have it, you will be fine.

There I go again rambling on. GL again.

Teukka76 said:
I saw OnePageBook using DDR-booster on NEO4 at ZS forum, he was running 2x256MB BH5 @592MHz 2-2-5-2 :eek:

I Should get the booster tomorrow and I'll run some tests on my Neo4 SLI at weekend.

Let us know how it works since OCZ says it doesn't work with the Neo4 :).

dmonkey said:
If you're going to use UTT or BH-5 memory chips, get the DFI board, up to 4 volts vdimm. BH-5 and UTT typically need 3.3-3.6 volts to run at high speeds and low timings. With 3.6 volts you might get DDR520 with 2-2-2 timings.

Do you have a suggestion for ram to use on the k8n neo4 other than UTT/BH-5 that is relatively inexpensive and doesn't suck horribly for overclocking?
ie, newegg has some 'value' ram at ~$110 for 2*512 that people have been reporting is UTT/BH-5

Do you know of something similar or something that will work well with the msi other than tccd? That stuff is a bit more expensive than I'd like to pay. Maybe something around $150/gb?

I really prefer the featureset on the MSI board, but would like to do some moderate OCing.

Thanks

kirbyrj said:
Let us know how it works since OCZ says it doesn't work with the Neo4 :).

Everything looks fine but booster don't seem to work :( I got to do the 3.3V mod at weekend... ;)

darksquid said:
Hi folks,

My system:

FX-55
K8N Neo4 Plat SLI
1xEVGA 6800GT
OCZ 520w PSU
Thermalright XP-90c

Thanks!
darksquid

Stock (/w 1T):
stock_bench.jpg

OC 210FSB
oc210_bench.jpg
damn shame u spent all that cash on the cpu raptors etcetera n didnt buy any pc4000 or 4400 ram.

Teukka76 said:
Everything looks fine but booster don't seem to work :( I got to do the 3.3V mod at weekend... ;)

Do you have a link to instructions / references to this mod? I haven't been able to really find anything.

Let us know how it goes!

I just set my machine up this mobo and am booting off of a mirror set which I built with nvraid, which seems to work well, but when I went to install SP2 (windows update for XP) it locked up and when I rebooted my mirror had been split into two disks, and windows would never load... it was hosed. so I updated the bios and hoping that a newer raid driver will not have the same issues... has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for the RAM advice, guys - I switched to 2x512 G.Skill PC4400 LE RAM and it's like night and day.

I'm still looking for the sweet spot, but here's my highest stable OC so far. This is 290 FSB, unchanged HTT multi, and 10x CPU multi. I boosted the CPU vcore to 1.62 and the vdimm to
2.75. I have read accounts that TCCD RAM doesn't like voltage about 2.8, so I'm staying under that level.

290_10x_no_div.jpg

I've finally gotten around to uploading some images of my MSI/SLI build.....

This is the office space I share with my wife; she sits on the other side of the desk that’s backed up against my small table.

That’s my new SLI build in the Tsunami Dream case…..can’t see much.

officetsunami5oy.jpg

A close up of the insides. Don’t pay attention to the cables and wires….

sliintsunami0gl.jpg

My daughter asked me, when she first saw it, why the window wasn’t on the outside. So I switched cases.

lianlipostmod8yv.jpg

The first thing I had to do was remove the barrier and the back hard drive cage between the PSU compartment and the front hard drive cage. It was the easiest modification I’ve done, and took about five minutes with a drill.

lianliprewireandwindow6zp.jpg

This is everything jammed into the Lian Li, pre wire routing, etc. Just to make sure it’s all going to work out.

slots2xb.jpg

Instead of drilling a blow hole into the top of this beautiful case I went with a slot cooler that draws warm air from the ceiling of the case.

lianlisidewindow2ww.jpg

officelianli6uw.jpg

Here’s the finished product. I wasn’t satisfied with the passive air intake on the front of this model, so I put a Lian Li hard drive bay cooler into it, which you can see in the second image. Seems to work well, I’m happy. And here are the left over pieces.

leftoverparts7qx.jpg

Here are some benchmark scores:

9606d55wm.jpg

20284d37vt.jpg

Max-Powers said:
is it possible for a dvd burner not to be compatible with a motherboard? please read my post and help me with my problem. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=892847
what dvd burner are you guys using? i think i might have to buy another one

I use a Lite-On. I think most problems associated with CD-ROM type devices are usually caused by the IDE cables on CS vs. Master/Slave and different manufacturers drives in one build that didn't play nicely with each other (in my case Plextor and Sony).

Max-Powers said:
how would i fix it. how do i get ide drivers?

Check the jumpers on the back of your drive. There should be 3 options: SL, MA, CS (Slave, Master, Cable Select). On your IDE cable, the top connector is "master" and the one in the middle is "slave." Set the jumper and connect the drive to the right connector on the drive. You shouldn't need any drivers. I've seen drives come set at master, slave, and cable select, so check that.

i set the correct jumpers. but some people mentioned i need to get diffrent IDE drivers. where do i get them

Has the issue where the CBBID Winchesters not posting over 220 FSB been fixed? I have been gone for a while. I couldn't find anything, figured you guys could help me out. Just wish I could post everytime over 220+, like I can at 219. If it hasn't been fixed any word if it ever will be? Thank you in advance

Back