official MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI thread

I'm running 2 sticks of dual channel Geil PC4000. 1 gig total. I'm running it in the 2 green DIMM slots as per the manual (slots 1 and 3). There's a message in the manual to not put mem into the purple slots if the green slots aren't filled yet, but the chart under that message mentions that dual channel DDR400 has to be in slots 1 and 2. Seems contradictory. Does putting memory into slots 1 and 2 disable dual channel mode?

All I'm trying to get now is just stability, and then I'll tweak for performance afterwards.

TwinTurboJosh said:
I'm running 2 sticks of dual channel Geil PC4000. 1 gig total. I'm running it in the 2 green DIMM slots as per the manual (slots 1 and 3). There's a message in the manual to not put mem into the purple slots if the green slots aren't filled yet, but the chart under that message mentions that dual channel DDR400 has to be in slots 1 and 2. Seems contradictory. Does putting memory into slots 1 and 2 disable dual channel mode?

All I'm trying to get now is just stability, and then I'll tweak for performance afterwards.
The table at the top of that page states the only 3 modes dual channel will run at. You need to fill the first 2 slots, 1 green, 1 purple. You are currently not running in dual channel if you have both sticks on greens.

Anarchonixx said:
The table at the top of that page states the only 3 modes dual channel will run at. You need to fill the first 2 slots, 1 green, 1 purple. You are currently not running in dual channel if you have both sticks on greens.

Yea, I got that, but this line is still what throws me off: Always insert the memory modules into the GREEN slots first, and it is strongly recommended not to insert the memory modules into the PURPLE slots while the GREEN slots are left empty

I must be reading that wrong, cuz from that I take it that you've gotta fill up the green slots before you can add anything to the purple slots. Like you said, this contradicts the 2 charts in the manual, but I still find it peculiar.

I am working with my second MSI socket 939 motherboard on a new system build. The first one received was DOA from NewEgg.

Processor is AMD 64 3000+ Winchester.
Power supply is Antec True550.
Memory is Corsair 3200.
Bios is the latest, 3.1 via LiveUpdate.

The new MB works fine except for CPU temperture monitoring. When I select the Hardware Monitor (H/W) option in the BIOS setup, the CPU tempature reads 220C and the system immediately freezes. At that point I must crtl-alt-del or reset to restart.

The CPU and heatsink are not hot at all and the system boots into Windows XP Pro fine. All of the installed components work and I can use the computer to run any program. Without proper temperature monitoring, the system fans run at high speed.

I have tried the basics of checking the heatsink installation and power supply connections.
I have built a number of systems over the years so none of this is new to me, just this new system.

Since I bought my components on-line it is a major hassle to return something, especially twice.

Should I suspect another bad motherboard or the CPU? Both are new. Unfortunately I don't have another set of components for swaping parts.

Well, I did like you guys suggested and put my ram in the first 2 DIMM slots. Memory bandwidth went from 2GB/s to 4.9GB/s, so that's a nice improvement. And for the first time in days, I've actually been able to run KOTOR2 without freezing, so I'm overjoyed

TwinTurboJosh said:
Well, I did like you guys suggested and put my ram in the first 2 DIMM slots. Memory bandwidth went from 2GB/s to 4.9GB/s, so that's a nice improvement. And for the first time in days, I've actually been able to run KOTOR2 without freezing, so I'm overjoyed

Silly motherboard manuals always making things so hard to understand :).

i have a question i have an aspire 520 watt power supply with a 20pin atx connector and im gonna get this badass mobo will my powersupply work? do i need to buy a new power supply or is there anything like a converter or something like that or can this power supply make it work without any converter or anything ?

kirbyrj said:
What version of ClockGen are you using? I can't apply 1.55V in ClockGen. It only goes up to 1.45V. I'm using the CG-NVNF4 one.

Im using ClockGen 1.03. I can't set it higher than 1.45 either. I set my voltage in the BIOS and then ClockGen boosts the HTT to 234 once in windows.

tesfaye said:
Im using ClockGen 1.03. I can't set it higher than 1.45 either. I set my voltage in the BIOS and then ClockGen boosts the HTT to 234 once in windows.

I thought that was the whole reason we had to use ClockGen because we COULDN'T set voltage in Bios and then have it Post :confused: , so we had to set voltage and then HTT.

kirbyrj said:
I thought that was the whole reason we had to use ClockGen because we COULDN'T set voltage in Bios and then have it Post :confused: , so we had to set voltage and then HTT.

Yeah, I remember reading the same thing. Maybe it varies between motherboards but I narrowed it down to the HTT. I can boot at whatever settings as long as the HTT is at 200. I hoped that the ClockGen would work for the voltages so I could set the machine to a slower speed and lower voltage for my GF's login and the guest account. There is no need to run this thing full tilt 24x7. It's stable but why stress it if I don't need to? I'm just happy that this is the only issue that I have with this new setup.

Lajnus said:
i have a question i have an aspire 520 watt power supply with a 20pin atx connector and im gonna get this badass mobo will my powersupply work? do i need to buy a new power supply or is there anything like a converter or something like that or can this power supply make it work without any converter or anything ?

The specs on that PS look ok. You will be fine with that unit. I have an Enermax 465W unit with similar specs. I have 4 hard drives, Audigy4, 850XT quite a few fans and I have no problems even with overclocking.

I am having a problem getting my MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI to run. When I power on it will load up the screen where you hit DEL for BIOS or TAB for POSTS, but then I'm stuck there. I have tried the new USB keyboard I just got, my old PS2 keyboard I am typing on right now, and even tried to clear CMos only to power up & see the exact same screen....????

MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI
PC Power & Cooling 410w Silencer 20A on 12v rail (maybe 18A)
Gigabyte 6600gt
AMD 3500+
Raptor 74gb
Patriot XBL 1gb
Benq 16x CD Rom
Aerocool Jetmaster SS
Saitek Gamers Keyboard

I have this board in a lian-li V1000 case and I just wanted to check with others with an SLI system with 2 Ultras to see what temps they have. My GPU 1 under load is around 77-78c and GPU 2 under load is around 82-84c. I think in this case GPU 2 stays warmer because it is on top due to the BTX standard.

Thanks for temp input....

tret

tesfaye said:
The specs on that PS look ok. You will be fine with that unit. I have an Enermax 465W unit with similar specs. I have 4 hard drives, Audigy4, 850XT quite a few fans and I have no problems even with overclocking.

okay but do i need any adapter or anything ? or can i run it with a 20 pin connector ?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=884563
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=884986
unstable when instaling windows. cant get it to install. damnsmall linux gets errors and crashes. iv messed with the dimm slots and timing configuration but i have no idea what it should be. run memtest and get errors all the time with it. all i can think of is on the mushkin website, no nforce4 boards are on thier "motherboards supported" list.
iv been asking around quite a bit trying to find the right configuration

the ram is good, iv done everything to test it and make sure its good

Has anyone used Patriot XBL Ram on the SLI board? Did it have problems? I am stuck at the load screen everytime I power on since building this system.

MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI
AMD 3500+
Gigabyte 6600gt
Raptor 74gb
PCP&C 410w Silencer
Patriot XBL 1gb

Max-Powers said:
MSI should be slapped for putting out a board they didnt test enough.

Mine works great,built it with no issues and it loaded XP and runs great. easiest mtherboard i ever built,and overclocks great too,290 HTT with memory running 580.
2- MSI 6600 GT in SLI,also easy to set up.

Not sure what the problem is, but instability problems have returned for me. Earlier, my system crashed while playing a game, and when I restarted, pci.sys has been corrupted and I had to repair windows. What's weird is that for the brief time I was running windows xp 64-bit, my system was really stable. I couldn't really do anything, but it was stable

OK guys, I got my mobo working and I am looking for a BIOS tweaking guide of some sort since this is my first high end board.

To the guys who are having problems & saying MSI put out a bad board, I have to be honest & say 9 out of 10 times it is user error creating the problem. My problem was a short I couldn't find the source of, but after removing the board & reinstalling it, I have had no problems & CPU temps are from 35-39C. Once i get this thing all tweaked out & get XP installed I have a feeling my forum time will be greatly diminished due to high end gaming addiction...lol

Ok I took the plunge and got the MSI K8N Neo4/SLI. It is a nice looking feature rich board. A couple of questions for you all who have them set up? Is a Zelman heatsink going to be sufficient cooling for my FX-57 that I'll be getting this summer? And why do they not include the USB 2.0 slot with the Led lights? How in the hell am I supposed to know about the errors if I have any? And where can I get one? Do I have to order one from MSI? Thanks Rob. :)

My son goes to Mt. View. I'm way done with school :) Do you have an extra one?

well so far mine sucks...

my barton 2500+ overclocks higher than this 3000+ winnie :mad:

i hope i'm doing something wrong

I might bag the whole sli thing alltogether. I mean is it really worth it when next gen. video cards will outperform 2 6800 GTs? I'm ripping this board out tonight unless someone on here convinces me this board rocks out of the box. I don't want to be toying around tweaking and getting all of the BS I keep reading about on this board. I've read a lot of good as well but really is it worth it? 190.00 board. 240.00 PS. Jeeze I can put a down payment on a new car for what I'm sinking into this system.

lazarus0 said:
well so far mine sucks...

my barton 2500+ overclocks higher than this 3000+ winnie :mad:

i hope i'm doing something wrong

what's the week & stepping of your processor?

qdemn7 said:
Page 24 of the manual shows Pin 20 on the mobo PSU pinout as having a -5V requirement. This directly contradicts the ATX 12V 2.01 Power Supply Design Guide. Pin 20 is shown as Reserved N/C (no connection). (see page 25) So picking nits, this board does not comply with the latest specs.

MSI ought to have their collective ass kicked for doing this. :mad:

My PC Power Cooling Turbo-Cool SLI is supposed to have the -5V line (pin #20 on the 24 pin connector. It does not and my sound doesn't work!

I just set mine up and I have a few questions.

I get yellow exclamation points in Device Manager next to the PCI Express Controller saying "not enough resources". I am currently using a PCI Matrox G450 until my X850XT PE arrives, but I was wondering if this is being caused by the Matrox card? I have disabled the serial ports, Parallel ports, IR ports, onboard sound, and the Marvell NIC. I think I freed up a lot of resources, no?

I have an Audigy 2 ZS in the PCI slot just above the orange PCI slot. Is this a good place for it? What is the orange slot for? Can I use it like an ordinary PCI slot? Is there a PCI slot on this mobo that DOESN'T share an IRQs?

I am not sure if my Temps are right for my Processor (see Sig). I am using an XP90 with a Papst 92mm fan. I am using Artic Silver 5 and my idle temps are 38c.

Thanks.

Burner27 said:
I just set mine up and I have a few questions.

I get yellow exclamation points in Device Manager next to the PCI Express Controller saying "not enough resources". I am currently using a PCI Matrox G450 until my X850XT PE arrives, but I was wondering if this is being caused by the Matrox card? I have disabled the serial ports, Parallel ports, IR ports, onboard sound, and the Marvell NIC. I think I freed up a lot of resources, no?

I have an Audigy 2 ZS in the PCI slot just above the orange PCI slot. Is this a good place for it? What is the orange slot for? Can I use it like an ordinary PCI slot? Is there a PCI slot on this mobo that DOESN'T share an IRQs?

I am not sure if my Temps are right for my Processor (see Sig). I am using an XP90 with a Papst 92mm fan. I am using Artic Silver 5 and my idle temps are 38c.

Thanks.

Curious as to your Audigy 2 ZS in the PCI slot. Is this because you don't have a -5V capable power supply to use the onboard Live! 24-bit chipset? They are roughly comparable (and I'm of the opinion the onboard is better except for Audigy4 users) and the Live! 24-bit doesn't suffer from the rare but random "scream of death" bug that you can do a google search on. Remove that card and reenable the onboad Creative sound for a little more resources being free.

Your temps are not "out of line" but are still a little bit high. You'll find that these will come down as the AS5 does a little "curing", Artic Silver says around 200 hours use. It's real important that the layer of AS5 be as thin as possible. On the newer A64 cores, they recommend a small dab about the size of a grain of rice and to place the cooler on that and twist it slightly to seat and squeeze the AS5 over the top of the core. You don't need complete coverage of the metal cover as the processor core is in the middle of that and smaller.

As to the yellow exclamation, it's the confusion over your having a PCI graphics controller and not a PCI-E controller. This should go away when you do upgrade. Make sure that before you remove the PCI card you completely uninstall the drivers and utilities for it, then shutdown and put in your new card.

sauria said:
My PC Power Cooling Turbo-Cool SLI is supposed to have the -5V line (pin #20 on the 24 pin connector. It does not and my sound doesn't work!

Bummer. Contact MSI technical support, they may offer a solution, I've heard rumors of a mod they'll perform on the mobo that will eliminate the -5v requirement. We may see another revision of the board soon that has this mod already implemented.

HighTest said:
Curious as to your Audigy 2 ZS in the PCI slot. Is this because you don't have a -5V capable power supply to use the onboard Live! 24-bit chipset? They are roughly comparable (and I'm of the opinion the onboard is better except for Audigy4 users) and the Live! 24-bit doesn't suffer from the rare but random "scream of death" bug that you can do a google search on. Remove that card and reenable the onboad Creative sound for a little more resources being free.

Well, I would use the onboard SoundBlaster but, my motherboard isn't the SLI which has the onboard SoundBlaster chip. I have the Platinum not Platinum/SLI.

Also, my PSU, PCP&C 510 Deluxe Express PSU, is a -5v capable unit.

Thanks for your input though.

Burner27 said:
Well, I would use the onboard SoundBlaster but, my motherboard isn't the SLI which has the onboard SoundBlaster chip. I have the Platinum not Platinum/SLI.

Are you sure that yours has a wire to the pin#20? My Turbo-Cool SLI does NOT but they have great customer service and are sending me one that is wired with it.

sauria said:
Are you sure that yours has a wire to the pin#20? My Turbo-Cool SLI does NOT but they have great customer service and are sending me one that is wired with it.

100% sure. Mine is a black wire with a white stripe along it. Yours has NO WIRE there?

Burner27 said:

Sorry, jumped to the conclusion due to the thead originally being about the Platinum/SLI.

Back