Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

Yep, just like Blizzard's recent Scroll of Resurrection. They don't need to reward those who are loyal and/or already paying a sub, they're hooked. It's the ones that have quit who get the rewards :p Though at least a token of appreciation, like a re-skinned mount or something, would be nice for those loyal customers ;)

After you hit 50 the best part of the game on a low population server is pvp. The ability to PUG a raid isn't there due to the hideous population issues; not because of hard or boring raid content. So most people that hit 50 quit from boredom unless you're ina guild that has active members that want to raid.

I'm going to abandon (2) 50's, a 30, various alts, and 30+ legacy levels to reroll on another server. Not sure if I really have the stomach to do so. The only other alternative is to quit as transfers aren't available.

Actually, I like this game, and I've 3 lev 50s. I haven't played yet all the stories, which are really great thing. Too bad they made it MMO not Kotor 3, because the content as single player game would be amazing, and would make all the fans happy.

Yes, the game would have been much better suited as KOTOR 3 with the ability to cut on multiplayer if you want to. Like Dead island. Actually that's how most of the people on my server play.

Hmm is this going to be the most expensive flop ever?

Heh. It's really great at single player. It basically has 8 complete single player games built into it. So in that regard it can't be a flop as $40 for 8 complete games is pretty good. Or imagine playing through a RPG 8 times for $40. Thing is they charge after the first 30 days so you have to be fast.

Hmm is this going to be the most expensive flop ever?

I am pretty sure that if they haven't already, they will have made back the initial costs pretty soon. This is not the cashcow wow is, but it is far from a flop.

Heh. It's really great at single player. It basically has 8 complete single player games built into it. So in that regard it can't be a flop as $40 for 8 complete games is pretty good. Or imagine playing through a RPG 8 times for $40. Thing is they charge after the first 30 days so you have to be fast.

To take 8 character to full level in 30 days, I would like to shake that persons hand. That would be insane.

Actually, I like this game, and I've 3 lev 50s. I haven't played yet all the stories, which are really great thing. Too bad they made it MMO not Kotor 3, because the content as single player game would be amazing, and would make all the fans happy.

Yup, if you somehow managed to get three lvl 50s, you REALLY must like the story aspect. I enjoyed my first class storyline to 50, but they would've been better off not trying to make this into a MMO. None of the stories I've seen (and I've seen most of the better ones through friends' cutscenes if not my own) are SOOO astounding that they make me want to keep playing through all of them. Certainly not with all the filler you have to slog through and the monthly MMO tax that is completely unnecessary if all you're playing the game for is singleplayer storylines.

Yup, if you somehow managed to get three lvl 50s, you REALLY must like the story aspect. I enjoyed my first class storyline to 50, but they would've been better off not trying to make this into a MMO. None of the stories I've seen (and I've seen most of the better ones through friends' cutscenes if not my own) are SOOO astounding that they make me want to keep playing through all of them. Certainly not with all the filler you have to slog through and the monthly MMO tax that is completely unnecessary if all you're playing the game for is singleplayer storylines.

The problem I have with the stories is that they are stretched out. In the hours I played to get my trooper to like lvl 40 you could have thrown out about 25 levels of content. Only the main one is relevant and even then it is only a few missions.

Wait, new content dungeon and finished one of the three dungeons in the first night? Is this solo, group, or raid level content?

Raid level. The group that went in has completed the hard mode raids for the game, we had to pug a few slots to flesh it out.

The new Operation, we managed to drop the first boss. the mechanics are TOUGH. you have to be literally quick on your feet. You stop moving at one point, and the raid wipes basically :D its no more tank and spank until the enrage, which is fantastic.

The Corellia dailies are end game level 50 content that earn you daily commendations just like Ilum and Belsavis, but at the end there is a heroic you get for turning in the entire series worth some black hole commendations (For the new T61 gear)

The new Heroic 4 on belsavis as well, is capped off with a 200k Champion boss battle.... AND ITS AMAZING. It has mechanics not unlike a raid boss would have, and is nigh on impossible to just run in with 2 people and 2 companions and clear it, companions are too dumb. We had myself, a shadow tank, and a sage healing, ALL of us fully geared, and he landed some pretty good hits before we figured out the mechanics to close it up :)

They worked their asses off on this patch, and it shows.

I was unable to find anybody on my server to do flashpoints and hard modes with, after about 2 hours of looking and finally getting a group together, they didn't understand the mechanics no matter how much you pounded it into there skulls. I loved the game when I played, just not enough people around to do things with. And I didn't feel like grinding, I got enough of that in WoW. But I hear if you have a level 50 you get to come back for 30 days. is this correct?

And one more update... Bioware listened and gave rewards not only to those with lev 50s on account. To get free month you need either legacy level 6 or a lev 50. And they still gave 8 days to achieve those feats.

This game cost $250-300 million to develop, and compared to other MMOs significantly higher costs to add new content due to the animation and voice-acting assets. Even if it isn't considered a flop, it's definitely not going to be a success.

Raid level. The group that went in has completed the hard mode raids for the game, we had to pug a few slots to flesh it out.

The new Operation, we managed to drop the first boss. the mechanics are TOUGH. you have to be literally quick on your feet. You stop moving at one point, and the raid wipes basically :D its no more tank and spank until the enrage, which is fantastic.

The Corellia dailies are end game level 50 content that earn you daily commendations just like Ilum and Belsavis, but at the end there is a heroic you get for turning in the entire series worth some black hole commendations (For the new T61 gear)

The new Heroic 4 on belsavis as well, is capped off with a 200k Champion boss battle.... AND ITS AMAZING. It has mechanics not unlike a raid boss would have, and is nigh on impossible to just run in with 2 people and 2 companions and clear it, companions are too dumb. We had myself, a shadow tank, and a sage healing, ALL of us fully geared, and he landed some pretty good hits before we figured out the mechanics to close it up :)

They worked their asses off on this patch, and it shows.
Yeah... so it sounds like I'd be bored compared to HK in Rift. :( Might still pick it up though. The single player looks nice, lol

And one more update... Bioware listened and gave rewards not only to those with lev 50s on account. To get free month you need either legacy level 6 or a lev 50. And they still gave 8 days to achieve those feats.

When did they do this? And also, do you have to be subbed in order to get the free month? Because I checked my account page and didn't see anyway to get activated unless I resub. Because I got 2 level 50's and legacy 10+ (last time I remembered). I might redownload and try the new update while I wait for Guild Wars 2 to come out.

As much as I enjoyed this game , the end game is boring. And the PVP is also boring (battlegrounds) I just don't feel like there is enough end game content. There is plenty of single player content and a tad bit of co-op here and there but I kinda feel like SWTOR is not a true MMO but a Single Player driven MMO with an added on MMO style feel.

This new patch doesn't entice me really at all. I think its time for me to cancel my sub and move on. Shame really... damn shame.

When did they do this? And also, do you have to be subbed in order to get the free month? Because I checked my account page and didn't see anyway to get activated unless I resub. Because I got 2 level 50's and legacy 10+ (last time I remembered). I might redownload and try the new update while I wait for Guild Wars 2 to come out.

From Dev post:

Hello everyone! At BioWare we're always listening to our fans and we've heard our community's comments around players with Level 50 characters being the only group awarded 30 days of play time. We appreciate the feedback and are pleased to announce that we are expanding our Legacy Promotion, also awarding 30 days of play time at no charge to players that have reached Legacy Level 6 (who may not have a 50th level character).

We just released the innovative Legacy System as part of Game Update 1.2, and felt that looking at Legacy point progression across all of your characters was a great way to reward our most avid players. This means that any of the experience you earn with any of your characters brings you closer to the goal of Legacy Level 6. The choice of how to get to Legacy Level 6 is yours.

First, you need to have passed Chapter 1 to unlock your legacy. Examples of how to get to Legacy Level 6 include:

A pair of characters Level 45 and 42
A trio of characters of Levels 45, 32 and 32
A bunch of characters Levels 35, 33, 31, 29 and 20
A single 50th level character that has enjoyed the endgame for a brief time

Remember these are just examples – you’re free to choose how to earn your Legacy experience to gain Legacy Level 6.

We've also got another significant piece of good news: everyone will have until April 22nd at noon CDT (5:00pm GMT - click here for a time zone converter) to have a Level 50 character or Legacy Level 6 on their account to get 30 days of game time on us. (Your 30 days of game time will be applied to your account on April 25th by 11:59pm CDT.) Players will now have multiple options, as well as more time, to try and reach these goals and play all the great new content in Game Update 1.2.

As always, we appreciate your feedback and will do our best to surprise and delight our customers.

Dr Greg Zeschuk
Studio GM, BioWare Austin

Actually, to a large extent yes. I'm really liking this new patch... it's got a lot to love (1.2).

I agree. Loving how they fixed alot of things, change things, End game is hard. new PVP battleground.

O and my CE Tan Tan is badass imo!!!

Plus I get 31 free days as well.....

Speaking not of ability to send stuff between Republic/Imperial alts. It's crafter's heaven now. I can easily make stuff for my characters or transfer mats and every crafting profession, along with slicing on every character. Money just floooow :)

Thanks MorgothPI. OK, then I guess I can retry the game on the 25th to see if the changes are enough to keep me interested. Although if it doesn't apply to unsubbed accounts, I might pass. If I get a free month then it would be worth the 20 gig download again.

I think you had to have an active account by a certain date, cause my son, who played from start then quit a month ago, just resubbed and he didn't get the month, only the day....

All former subscribers get a free week of game play to test out the new content. It started on the 13th and continues through the 20th of April. It's very nice of them to do this as you can see for yourself firsthand if the new content is challenging and engaging enough for you.

http://www.swtor.com/legacypromotion

Get to downloading!

I think you had to have an active account by a certain date, cause my son, who played from start then quit a month ago, just resubbed and he didn't get the month, only the day....

He may still get the month once the next date they touted with the expanded promotion rolls around, assuming he meets the qualifications (legacy level 6 *or* a level 50 character).

He may still get the month once the next date they touted with the expanded promotion rolls around, assuming he meets the qualifications (legacy level 6 *or* a level 50 character).

Must have an active sub and 50 by the midnight apr 12 to get free month.

lol - they made it so people can send mats/items from on faction to the other? i thought this game would have endured stronger a bit longer... after all it has star wars in the name.

lol - they made it so people can send mats/items from on faction to the other? i thought this game would have endured stronger a bit longer... after all it has star wars in the name.

That's just for your legacy characters as far as I know of.

I'm liking the 1.2 patch overall. I know there are tons of people on the official forums just crying like crazy about how their class wasn't OP and got nerfed. Their tears sustain me greatly. I noticed that some of my underpowered classes, like my operative healer, seems to be equal now or maybe only slightly less than other healers. I'm still not sure I like the new PvP rewards system for the dailies and weekly though...

Mostly happy with 1.2. Really wished they had pushed things back to include all this stuff in release. Fatman I think is getting more populated had a 40 min wait yesterday to get in.

I hate when they change currency and rewards for any game. Just got my sorcerer to full centurion gear where I didn't feel completely overpowered by everyone else in pvp and then they release new gear and I'm back to feeling like I can't do anything.

I hate when they change currency and rewards for any game. Just got my sorcerer to full centurion gear where I didn't feel completely overpowered by everyone else in pvp and then they release new gear and I'm back to feeling like I can't do anything.

Welcome to the treadmill!

The problem I have with the stories is that they are stretched out. In the hours I played to get my trooper to like lvl 40 you could have thrown out about 25 levels of content. Only the main one is relevant and even then it is only a few missions.

There is no denying, there's a TON of filler. I didn't mind it all that much the first playthrough up to 50, but with every new character after that, it just started pissing me off more and more until I didn't care to level anymore. There was faaaar too much pointliness running around. I mean I can tolerate a lot, but when you make it so blatant that I literally have to travel to the other side of the galaxy and click on one guy, and then that guy sends me straight back to the other side of the galaxy to click on the previous guy I clicked on to come here in the first place... well, you know they're not even trying to disguise the time sink anymore, let alone make it somewhat fun.

Like I said in a previous post, your best bet is to just watch the cutscenes on Youtube for any of the class storylines that you're interested in. It's simply not a good enough game to warrant all the hours upon hours of BS you have to put up with just to see a couple minutes worth of video.

And now you know why they're giving everyone 30 days... gotta get dat gear... need to stay "powerful," so get back at it son. ;)

There is no denying, there's a TON of filler. I didn't mind it all that much the first playthrough up to 50, but with every new character after that, it just started pissing me off more and more until I didn't care to level anymore. There was faaaar too much pointliness running around. I mean I can tolerate a lot, but when you make it so blatant that I literally have to travel to the other side of the galaxy and click on one guy, and then that guy sends me straight back to the other side of the galaxy to click on the previous guy I clicked on to come here in the first place... well, you know they're not even trying to disguise the time sink anymore, let alone make it somewhat fun.

Like I said in a previous post, your best bet is to just watch the cutscenes on Youtube for any of the class storylines that you're interested in. It's simply not a good enough game to warrant all the hours upon hours of BS you have to put up with just to see a couple minutes worth of video.

Well yea and the stories really aren't that great. I mean I played this game for like a week straight. Sunk about 150 hours into the game into a week, my finace was pissed to all hell because I played that instead of doing shit around the house. I didn't care.

After a week I just pretty much quit it cold turkey. My friends pretty much all did the same. The environments unlike WoW are not interesting, the combat feels uninspiring. To sum it up you have a 2011 game that is competing with a 2004 WoW instead of a 2011 WoW.

Well yea and the stories really aren't that great. I mean I played this game for like a week straight. Sunk about 150 hours into the game into a week, my finace was pissed to all hell because I played that instead of doing shit around the house. I didn't care.

After a week I just pretty much quit it cold turkey. My friends pretty much all did the same. The environments unlike WoW are not interesting, the combat feels uninspiring. To sum it up you have a 2011 game that is competing with a 2004 WoW instead of a 2011 WoW.

That's what I seem to hear from every WoW or EQ2 player that has tried this game. I tried the beta last Fall, and was not impressed at all, felt more like a single player game, than a wide open world MMO should be. Just amazing after Bioware sunk like $200 million into this game, and it is not as addictive or last lasting as World of Warcraft or Ever Quest 2. Seems like Mythic was involved on this game, and it will end up like WarHammer Online. That's too bad.

Hopefully Guild Wars 2 lives up to the hype.

That's what I seem to hear from every WoW or EQ2 player that has tried this game. I tried the beta last Fall, and was not impressed at all, felt more like a single player game, than a wide open world MMO should be. Just amazing after Bioware sunk like $200 million into this game, and it is not as addictive or last lasting as World of Warcraft or Ever Quest 2. Seems like Mythic was involved on this game, and it will end up like WarHammer Online. That's too bad.

Yea and we still have Diablo 3 next month. Even spending 90 bucks on it (3 months play card too) I feel like I got my money worth. I literally did nothing for an entire week. Very few games today are able to walk the line between blood clot and boredom.

Yeah, if you're coming to SWTOR as a jaded MMO gamer, there's simply nothing there that's going to grab you and make you keep playing in the long run.

Can you smell the desperation?

"We are so excited about Game Update 1.2: Legacy, that we are offering you a limited time opportunity to come back and play at no charge* until April 20, 11:59PM CDT / April 20, 4:59AM GMT. Plus, reactivate your former account by April 22, 12:00PM CDT, 5:00PM GMT, to get the in-game Legacy reward: the Legacy Tauntaun Pet**!"

Back