Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

AA has worked via ini file change since late beta. So at a bare minimum you can force it there.

AA has worked via ini file change since late beta. So at a bare minimum you can force it there.

Not on the 7970 you can't. At leat I can't. Sure AA works but the lightsaber blades, phase indicators and lighting are rendered incorrectly or not at all. You can work around this by turning off bloom, but all the lighting looks lifeless or not like lighting at all.

That's been my experience anyway.

Not on the 7970 you can't. At leat I can't. Sure AA works but the lightsaber blades, phase indicators and lighting are rendered incorrectly or not at all. You can work around this by turning off bloom, but all the lighting looks lifeless or not like lighting at all.

That's been my experience anyway.

I can't decide who's issue this is, BW, or ATI. I would prefer one of them fix it though, don't care which, oh, and in a timely manner if possible.

Well I found it, they just reused one of the other settings boxes, but it has not affect at all, I mean literally nothing changes in the scene at all.

Do you still have it forced in the control panel?

I turned it off in the control panel and turned it on in game and it looks the same as when I had it forced so I know it's working.

I can't decide who's issue this is, BW, or ATI. I would prefer one of them fix it though, don't care which, oh, and in a timely manner if possible.

It blows. Choose between lifeless looking lighting or jaggies everywhere. I actually think the game looks worse with bloom off than it does without AA support. Though my machine is powerful enough that I should be able to have both simultaneously. I also hate the fact that I have to run with V-Sync on in order to avoid screen flickering.

It blows. Choose between lifeless looking lighting or jaggies everywhere. I actually think the game looks worse with bloom off than it does without AA support. Though my machine is powerful enough that I should be able to have both simultaneously. I also hate the fact that I have to run with V-Sync on in order to avoid screen flickering.

I have v-sync off and have never had screen flickering. Interesting. This is on my imac with a AMD card.

Last edited:
cancelled my sub before they bill me tomorrow

the boredom is just too much

i may return...i'll keep an open mind

i now know why all the beta testers were cancelling their pre-orders

i didnt' get $60 worth of entertainment

ymmv

You're not past level 10 so none.of this stuff effects you, nor is any of it gamebreaking.or.hindering your progression.

It is.obvious you weren't around for the first month of wow. The game was virtually unplayable for the first two weeks for many servers, end game was broke, vast imbalances in pvp; shamans anyone, rollbacks, and the list could go on. They compensated us with free months and worked to improve the game but it took them 3-6 months to get most of the release bugs ironed out. SW:ToR isnt perfect but there is nothing game breaking.or hindering.you like there was when WoW was released.

You're not even off the starting planet, havent chosen your advance class, recieved your ship, well basically anything. You're parroting complaints from the forums without experiencing the game for yourself.

Play the game and have fun, if you're not having fun move on to something else. Q4 of 2011 saw some very good pc releases and Amalur is looking to be a great addition to the genre. Im sure there is something out there that doesnt get your panties in a bunch.

This game is not competing with 2004 WoW -- it is competing with 2012 WoW. It has been said many times and many agree. You don't win over the hearts of customers by releasing unfinished buggy crap and expecting them to pay $15/mo while they play catch up. If you like to take it in the ass from EA feel free, though!

This game is not competing with 2004 WoW -- it is competing with 2012 WoW. It has been said many times and many agree. You don't win over the hearts of customers by releasing unfinished buggy crap and expecting them to pay $15/mo while they play catch up. If you like to take it in the ass from EA feel free, though!

That said, I don't think any of us want to go back to 2012 WoW.

I have v-sync and have never had screen flickering. Interesting. This is on my imac with a AMD card.

Do you have V-Sync on or off? I have to have it on otherwise I get screen flickering. And remember this is with the Radeon HD 7970. I don't know that this problem effects other ATI/AMD cards and GPUs.

Do you have V-Sync on or off? I have to have it on otherwise I get screen flickering. And remember this is with the Radeon HD 7970. I don't know that this problem effects other ATI/AMD cards and GPUs.

Oh sorry, off. I have it off.

This game is not competing with 2004 WoW -- it is competing with 2012 WoW.

I disagree. WoW had 5 years of development before that. Should all MMO's that come out after wow have to include the same feature set or better along with the current level of polish? Games would have to be in development for 12+ years to equal that. That's simply not realistic for a new game. Cost prohibitive.

That said, I still think SWTOR is far ahead of wow in it's feature set.

Dude, you need to relax. It's just a game. It is, in my opinion, a good game in spite of its challenges. Yes it is competing with 2012 WoW, and you know what? It's still a better game, in the opinion of many people who have played both, including myself. It's not perfect, it has bugs, but there isn't a single bug-free game out there.

I disagree. WoW had 5 years of development before that. Should all MMO's that come out after wow have to include the same feature set or better along with the current level of polish? Games would have to be in development for 12+ years to equal that. That's simply not realistic.

I don't know about the features etc. All I know is that I tried WoW and didn't like it and I really like SWTOR. Seems simple enough to me.

I disagree. WoW had 5 years of development before that. Should all MMO's that come out after wow have to include the same feature set or better along with the current level of polish? Games would have to be in development for 12+ years to equal that. That's simply not realistic.

You don't need 12+ years to develop a game that has basic functionality that WORKS.

WoW has 12+ years of CONTENT development -- no, it is never realistic to expect the game to be as massive as an MMO that was released much earlier. It is, however, perfectly fine to expect the game to FUNCTION on a level equal to, if not better than, it's competitor.

You don't need 12+ years to develop a game that has basic functionality that WORKS.

WoW has 12+ years of CONTENT development -- no, it is never realistic to expect the game to be as massive as an MMO that was released much earlier. It is, however, perfectly fine to expect the game to FUNCTION on a level equal to, if not better than, it's competitor.

SWTOR does function. I have found bugs, yes. But not a single game breaking bug.

And WoW also has all that time to fix bugs. But still it has many. At release it was buggy. With each expansion it introduces more and with each patch they fix some and introduce more. It's always ongoing. And even after all those years they still haven't fixed them all.

We get it. You hate SWTOR. :rolleyes:

As for your expectations, I think they are unrealistic. A game this large and complex is going to have to issues. Get over it. They'll work them out in time if they are given the chance. I agree they made some poor decisions about which issues to resolve first, and some things should have been fixed / available from the start, but all in all I think it's launch has been far better executed than that of any other MMO. I don't think any of them have worked so well from the start.

To say that this game should function as well as an earlier game that's been around for so many years is ridiculous. Especially when that game uses a different engine and totally different code. We aren't talking about the failed Warhammer WoW clone here. From what I can tell, SWTOR already functions better than WoW did in the same time frame after release. But there is no way it's going to match the polish of a game that's 8 years old which has been worked on actively during that time frame.

In what way? There are tons of endgame type of features that SWTOR just doesn't have. LFD, multiple specs, pvp tiers (or non CC dominated pvp for that matter), crafting is in horrible shape and finally the UI.

As for your expectations, I think they are unrealistic. A game this large and complex is going to have to issues. Get over it. They'll work them out in time if they are given the chance. I agree they made some poor decisions about which issues to resolve first, and some things should have been fixed / available from the start, but all in all I think it's launch has been far better executed than that of any other MMO. I don't think any of them have worked so well from the start.

To say that this game should function as well as an earlier game that's been around for so many years is ridiculous. Especially when that game uses a different engine and totally different code. We aren't talking about the failed Warhammer WoW clone here. From what I can tell, SWTOR already functions better than WoW did in the same time frame after release. But there is no way it's going to match the polish of a game that's 8 years old which has been worked on actively during that time frame.

I agree

What exactly is it that you are so butt-hurt about here?

Content development does not exist in a vacuum. Unless all you want to do is add more of the same quests, content development requires core technology development and adaptation which introduces bugs, not just in the new content, but also in old content where they may not have existed before. Blizzard has had many years of a stable production environment to improve WoW, and that includes content and code. That is something that cannot ever be replicated with internal, alpha, or beta testing. Some things can only be tested properly and/or thoroughly after they go live. It's an unfortunate part of the software development cycle, and one that causes many ulcers for programmers.

Anyway..I'm curious to know why you are so upset about SWTOR. Did a developer piss in your cheerios or something?

SWTOR does function. I have found bugs, yes. But not a single game breaking bug.

And WoW also has all that time to fix bugs. But still it has many. At release it was buggy. With each expansion it introduces more and with each patch they fix some and introduce more. It's always ongoing. And even after all those years they still haven't fixed them all.

So you're saying the UI is a functional masterpiece?

The game engine is optimized so much it could run on your grandmothers microwave?

You found the pvp system to be the pinnacle of player vs player combat?

The ability delay is good for slowing down them pro-players for a bit, change of pace.. ammirite?

Those flashpoints and operations at the end game, it's OK that they didn't work and wasted everyone's time, we all should of gotten every single class to 50 before we tried it anyway!

The game engine is optimized so much it could run on your grandmothers microwave?

The ability delay is good for slowing down them pro-players for a bit, change of pace.. ammirite?

Those flashpoints and operations at the end game, it's OK that they didn't work and wasted everyone's time, we all should of gotten every single class to 50 before we tried it anyway!

khan i must know, what game are you currently playing that is satisfying your needs the way TOR isnt?

Rift. A modern MMO that was a "WoW clone" that released in an amazingly finished, polished state. And no, it's not ridiculous. Rift was able to release with its promised features smoothly and everyone ignores it for a game released in 2004. This is why we can't have nice things, Dan.

What exactly is it that you are so butt-hurt about here?

Content development does not exist in a vacuum. Unless all you want to do is add more of the same quests, content development requires core technology development and adaptation which introduces bugs, not just in the new content, but also in old content where they may not have existed before. Blizzard has had many years of a stable production environment to improve WoW, and that includes content and code. That is something that cannot ever be replicated with internal, alpha, or beta testing. Some things can only be tested properly and/or thoroughly after they go live. It's an unfortunate part of the software development cycle, and one that causes many ulcers for programmers.

Anyway..I'm curious to know why you are so upset about SWTOR. Did a developer piss in your cheerios or something?

There are still outstanding issues that should have been resolved in the beta. I've listed them throughout this thread.

The UI is their top priority. But for the most part it's fine. It could use some customization but it's coming. As is it's quite functional. Give me a couple more hot bars and the ability to move them and i'm set.

I don't expect the engine to run on old machines. That's unrealistic. That said it does run well on my imac which is pretty damn good.

They broke out the level 50 into it's own bracket so yes, I think PvP is a blast.

Like I said, no game breaking bugs here. I've been running every flashpoint with my guild without issue. We'll be raiding soon and see how things go then.

In fact just about every complaint people have had has been acknowledged by the developers. They are aware of what they need to work on. And that has me very optimistic. I find many MMO developers to be clueless as to what the main issues are so a very positive sign here.

Oh, please. When Cataclysm released lvl 80s were getting no xp, you could get stuck on the loading screen, people could get stuck in several places in desolace and swamp of sorrows, flying mobs getting stuck when aggroed from the ground, several quests went nowhere, etc. etc. Several pretty massive bugs, comparable to anything SWTOR is going through. The point is not to bash Wow, but any time you have a game with a permanent online world and hundreds of thousands of people playing, it is impossible to test every single possibility to rule out bugs. If you call that "taking it in the ass," I guarantee you will take it in the ass from every MMO publisher.

We'll be raiding soon and see how things go then.

In fact just about every complaint people have had has been acknowledged by the developers. They are aware of what they need to work on. And that has me very optimistic. I find many MMO developers to be clueless as to what the main issues are so a very positive sign here.

First, you'll be disappointed unless they've fixed all the rampant operations bugs

Secondly, I never said they're not making changes and listening -- I'm saying they're doing it after they released when they could have done it in beta for a substantially better launch.

What is the point of yelling and yelling? What is the point of ignoring people's points and not moving on? Why do you sit there and just keep saying the same things? Do you hope that people will just say, "Well damn, I've heard this 50 times in the past 2 hours. I guess it must be true!"

Secondly, I never said they're not making changes and listening -- I'm saying they're doing it after they released when they could have done it in beta for a substantially better launch.

So if they are addressing the issues, what's the problem? Why continue to lambaste the developer for the issue?

Edit: "Oh but they should of done this in beta." That isn't really an argument. Sometimes you have to prioritize things. If it means release versus non-release in a non-mmorpg, then it makes sense. It's considered "Finished." An MMORPG is never considered as such.

Every single WoW expansion had bugged raid content at launch. Every single one of them. No developer is going to be able to test all the several different strats people are going to use to beat content before release.

Why do I need to have a game that satisfies me at all times?

It was a rhetorical question. I knew you didn't have one because if you did you wouldn't be complaining at least once per page on a thread about the most recent one you played that DIDNT meet your expectations.

I'd really like to see them open up the game to mod/addon support sooner rather than later. I think I read somewhere that they were making that a priority, but I didn't read anything about it in this patch unfortunately. They could really alleviate a lot of people's complaints by letting the community do some of the dirty work for them. I mean look at how many mods people came to rely on in WoW that eventually got incorporated into the vanilla version by the devs a few years later.

First, you'll be disappointed unless they've fixed all the rampant operations bugs

They've fixed my Foundry Flashpoint. You are now the lone, angry soul left in the hate basement. I'll miss your level 10 whatever-you-rolled.

Go back to WoW?

What is the point of yelling and yelling? What is the point of ignoring people's points and not moving on? Why do you sit there and just keep saying the same things? Do you hope that people will just say, "Well damn, I've heard this 50 times in the past 2 hours. I guess it must be true!"

Which points did I ignore? I'll properly address them once you've pointed me towards them.

I'm typing, by the way, not yelling.

So if they are addressing the issues, what's the problem? Why continue to lambaste the developer for the issue?

Because if I do renew, I am then paying to beta their game -- a "AAA" release in 2012 that was pushed out the door for extra profit. Many of you look at this as though it is the norm -- and I think it's bullshit.

And face it, if everyone thought the game was roses and butterflies and remained silent in hopes that the issues would be fixed, nothing would be fixed.

When you go into an MMO on launch day, do so knowing the follow:
1.It will have bugs
2.They will take time to fix
3.If you race to the end, you will probably be disappointed until content patches catch up to you
4.If you race to the end, know that you are the MINORITY, not the MAJORITY, and raging all over a forum about how you were the first to 50 and you simply do not understand how they could release a game in such a state that doesn't have 5 raids and 10 pvp warzones from the start.

All of these things considered, you should have a fairly pleasent experience unless the actual GAME itself suffers from bad mechanics, progression and story. IMO, this game does not suffer from those things. That is my opinion, and thus I continue playing it.

Because if I do renew, I am then paying to beta their game -- a "AAA" release in 2012 that was pushed out the door for extra profit. Many of you look at this as though it is the norm -- and I think it's bullshit.

And face it, if everyone thought the game was roses and butterflies and remained silent in hopes that the issues would be fixed, nothing would be fixed.

1- If you are raging because you want to point out the bugs to be fixed, you are doing it in the wrong place
2- "It's buggy, it sucks" hardly sounds like comments that would allow anyone to fix the game.

Back