Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

I didn't find it too difficult on my marauder (annihilation specced) at 32. Well, except for the part where I didn't heal up between fight #1 and 2 because I had no idea it was coming. But between saber ward, cloak of pain (i think), and obfuscation or whatever it's called, I was able to get the guy down using a cheapo health pack I had.

It also helps as annihilation that you get tiny self-heals when bleeds crit, and on gold mobs you can usually get enough stacks of fury to pop berserking for the 6x guaranteed crits/heals. Each berserking is good for roughly 900-1000hp at that level.

Well I respec'ed my Maurader since then. So it may not be the issue it was at the time. My skills were all over the place before I redid them. I've gone all the way up on the carnage tree and I do a lot more damage now and have more attacks I can use.

Well I respec'ed my Maurader since then. So it may not be the issue it was at the time. My skills were all over the place before I redid them. I've gone all the way up on the carnage tree and I do a lot more damage now and have more attacks I can use.

MORE attacks you can use? Haha. That's been my biggest complaint with the Sentinel/Marauder class thus far -- they have TOO many (compared to every other class) on their normal rotation. It's hard to pay attention to your surroundings (in PVP especially) when you are smashing keys all the way down 1 through =, and then mouse clicking down on the bottom row as well.

I haven't done anything but the Republic Jedi and Smuggler starting areas, and just got to the fleet, but...

Are the areas that follow more open? I just don't have the sense of wonder exploring this place I did when I first started playing WoW. It just isn't all that immersive for some reason, and I can't put my finger on why. I'm starting to think maybe the quests being fully voice is actually detracting from the immersion. When I had to read the quests in WoW, it somehow felt more involving than listening, and I could see how listening to some goblin tell me to go kill 8 pigs might actually break my suspension of disbelief easier than reading it.

I also don't have the same loot-gasm in this game when I pick up a new piece of gear as I did in WoW. I can't explain why that is. When I first played WoW, I bought some vendor trash white dagger that was slightly better than the one I had (this is vanilla WoW back in the day) and I was so excited. I feel like the gear in this game (so far) is bascially immaterial.

I'm just not sold on it yet, I guess.

I'm going to assume WoW was your first MMO or at least the first one you really go into? If so, generally speaking, most people will always feel that way towards any MMO over their first love MMO. You will always seem to compare it to the things you remember from the first. It seems we forget about the bad from our first, and only remember the good, and compare all others to that good. For me, it was EQ1, and I still compare MMO's today to the feeling....

so far I have been forced to not play this game extensively due to my retarded work schedule. I am enjoying it a lot having not reached end game yet.

so far I have been forced to not play this game extensively due to my retarded work schedule. I am enjoying it a lot having not reached end game yet.

I think that this is more and more becoming the "smart" way to play these games. The people who played non-stop from head start to 50 are now "bored" with the game. To the majority of us who are taking our time due to work, school, and other normal things in life, the game offers plenty to keep us busy, and by the time we DO hit 50, there will be more to do than what there is now.

I think that this is more and more becoming the "smart" way to play these games. The people who played non-stop from head start to 50 are now "bored" with the game. To the majority of us who are taking our time due to work, school, and other normal things in life, the game offers plenty to keep us busy, and by the time we DO hit 50, there will be more to do than what there is now.

Once I hit level 50 I think I'll start doing some of the PvP stuff. After that I think I'm going to seriously run through other classes and experience their stories. I've done some of that with my smuggler and Jedi Knight, but I'm really working on my Sith Warrior more than anything else.

Once I hit level 50 I think I'll start doing some of the PvP stuff. After that I think I'm going to seriously run through other classes and experience their stories. I've done some of that with my smuggler and Jedi Knight, but I'm really working on my Sith Warrior more than anything else.

I have PVP'ed a little but I seriously dislike PVP pre-level cap after Rift. So many classes are skewed to be OP at certain level ranges, and it only "evens out" at max level. Otherwise it's just that one given class absolutely dominating everyone else because they got X type of abiltiy earlier than anyone else. Also from what I'm reading on here and other forums is that it's Hutball 24/7 and I wasn't a fan of it when I tried it. I do enjoy the PVP portion of MMO's though. I'm not huge on raiding like I used to be, but we will see how operations go in this game.

I have PVP'ed a little but I seriously dislike PVP pre-level cap after Rift. So many classes are skewed to be OP at certain level ranges, and it only "evens out" at max level. Otherwise it's just that one given class absolutely dominating everyone else because they got X type of abiltiy earlier than anyone else. Also from what I'm reading on here and other forums is that it's Hutball 24/7 and I wasn't a fan of it when I tried it. I do enjoy the PVP portion of MMO's though. I'm not huge on raiding like I used to be, but we will see how operations go in this game.

Huttball makes me so sad... :(

Yeah I played a couple of rounds and I was OVER it. Had no desire to continue with the Hutball crap.

I think it would be really fun with an organized team. But Pug Huttball where people don't pass the ball to the tanks... jesus.

Those 'bored' people need a guild or friends to play with then. I hit 50 a week ago and ive since been having a blast in pvp and the semi broken hardmode fps with the guild. Its a MMO, gotta be social to make this game last ;)

Those 'bored' people need a guild or friends to play with then. I hit 50 a week ago and ive since been having a blast in pvp and the semi broken hardmode fps with the guild. Its a MMO, gotta be social to make this game last ;)

I agree. If not for my work schedule I would have probably duo-ed the entire game with my brother, and likely had more fun doing so. I enjoy the grouping aspects of the game much more than soloing, for everything other than my storyline quest.

I'm going to assume WoW was your first MMO or at least the first one you really go into? If so, generally speaking, most people will always feel that way towards any MMO over their first love MMO. You will always seem to compare it to the things you remember from the first. It seems we forget about the bad from our first, and only remember the good, and compare all others to that good. For me, it was EQ1, and I still compare MMO's today to the feeling....

Yes, it was the first one I ever really got into, so maybe you are right. Somewhere along the way, and it happened with WoW when I quit, the game lost all sense of wonder and became a math problem that needed to be solved, and a time sink was the only way to solve it. In my old age, maybe I am too jaded to see it as anything but that now.

On my republic commando I never ever get hutt ball, but on my empire toons, I always get hutt ball. I think we need to take like 1/3 of the empire population and make them republic...

I agree. If not for my work schedule I would have probably duo-ed the entire game with my brother, and likely had more fun doing so. I enjoy the grouping aspects of the game much more than soloing, for everything other than my storyline quest.

+1 to this. I have to say though, soloing to 50 is much too easy. Ive tried grouping with fellow 50's and you can tell they have absolutely no idea about group tactics IE NO AOE WHEN YOU CC YOU PRICK!!

+1 to this. I have to say though, soloing to 50 is much too easy. Ive tried grouping with fellow 50's and you can tell they have absolutely no idea about group tactics IE NO AOE WHEN YOU CC YOU PRICK!!

Hahahaha, that happens every time I run an FP or 4 man. People just seem not NOT care about CC. ESPECIALLY bounty hunters, it's like they just CANNOT go without using Death From Above every time it pops.

I had to teach some members of my guild about this. As a Sith Warrior, I've got attacks that handle groups of enemies gathering around me allowing me to do damage to all of them simultaneously. I've even got attacks that stun multiple oponents. But when I'm in the middle of things, It never fails. Some stupid Sith Inquisitor will hit their knock back attack and knock everyone away from me.

I had to teach some members of my guild about this. As a Sith Warrior, I've got attacks that handle groups of enemies gathering around me allowing me to do damage to all of them simultaneously. I've even got attacks that stun multiple oponents. But when I'm in the middle of things, It never fails. Some stupid Sith Inquisitor will hit their knock back attack and knock everyone away from me.

I just roll my eyes when someone CC's a mob and within a split second someone force leaps right to the exact mob and breaks it immediately. People try to play through too fast rather than letting me tag the mobs and say DONT ATTACK THE ONE WITH THE FUCKING COG. That being said, with a decent healer on non boss encounters I don't find myself dying very often, ever.

I think it would be really fun with an organized team. But Pug Huttball where people don't pass the ball to the tanks... jesus.

The lack of an organized team is just the tip of the frustration iceberg named Huttball. Between all the different knock-back/pull effects that can be exploited on that kind of level design, that warzone is so broken it's not even funny. My "favorite" is when there's someone waiting for the ball carrier, they'll be about to score but then the "reverse spawn camper" will pull them up and into the spawn area at the last second getting an insta-kill and resetting the ball all in one. I won't lie, I've raged after being on the wrong end of that one a few too many times.

I don't know what it's like Rebel side, but playing 95% Huttball as Imperial made me start leveling another character after finally getting 50 on my Marauder just a few days ago. I tried banging out the PvP daily/weekly warzone quests and finally gave up after experiencing a win/loss ratio of probably 1/6, and to have about 3+ wins not even count towards the quest. The response to the bug report tickets I opened was a copy & paste "thanks, not going to do anything for you, look at our patch notes in the future to see if we fixed the problem."

Ilum... is a joke. That's all I have to say about that.

Their end game PvP just isn't ready for prime time right now. I'll gladly give it another chance down the road, but for now I think the most fun to be had is in the class storylines and leveling with friends if you have that option.

I've actually had a couple groups where one of the members would CC a mob but it wouldn't show the animation for the rest of the group. It would look like the mob was attacking, but they were CCd and not actually doing anything.

I played with friends and I've never bored of an MMO faster than I did with TOR.

I played with friends and I've never bored of an MMO faster than I did with TOR.

Honestly man, I feel like *ALL* games do this to me if I play them too much in a short period of time. I get the "been there done that effect" -- because lets be real, most of what we see today are carbon copies of things we have already played. The only reason I lack this feeling for TOR is because of the amount of time I put into it. I'm not sure how much you were playing it, but I know for a fact that if I was playing 6+ hours a day it would only take a week for me to be done with it because it would turn into that same pointless "grind" that I associate with MMOs.

I played the fuck out of Skyrim for 3 days (8 hours+ per day) and I havent launched the game since.

Everyone is different but I personally have to limit myself or I will start feeling like the game is a chore, rather than a fun hobby. I think the only games I can play without feeling this way are multiplayer FPS. I could play Battlefield 3 forever.

I've actually had a couple groups where one of the members would CC a mob but it wouldn't show the animation for the rest of the group. It would look like the mob was attacking, but they were CCd and not actually doing anything.

I got all jumpy when I saw people talking about idiots that break CC because I've had this happen to me too

Might not always be idiots breaking cc, it might be the unfinished buggy game being an unfinished buggy game

I know the feeling. I played 50+ hours of Skyrim from 9PM PST on 11/10/11 to that sunday night. Ugghhh

Hahaha, yeah. And for me that definitely ruins an otherwise solid game because it turns into a chore. I feel like I have to, and thus no longer want to, if that makes sense. Ahhh, the mind of a gamer. So complex, and yet so simple.

I'm actually glad that I don't associate with people who game competitively anymore because I feel like I would have given up on TOR already if I did, as they would be playing at all hours of the night and day while I'm at work, sleeping, with the GF, etc. I remember when I started up Rift with some buddies and they had class, and then played the game. I had 2 jobs amounting more than 40 hours per week and I lost interest for a lot of reasons, one of the biggest being unable to keep up with them. The second one being that the game sucked.

I got all jumpy when I saw people talking about idiots that break CC because I've had this happen to me too

Might not always be idiots breaking cc, it might be the unfinished buggy game being an unfinished buggy game

Not sure. I haven't really played the CC classes but I seem to always see the animations when someone else is trying. Unless they happen to CC a mob that was a good distance away from the other mobs, they most always get broken far before they are supposed to. IMO, mostly solo players who are not used to CC'ing mobs and probably don't even think twice before unloading a slew of AoE abilities. To be fair, the game doesn't provide an incredible level of challenge to actually NEED those CC's 90% of the time. Most of the times that I have died have been less because of the need of CC and more because of the lack of skill of the players I'm with. I've found myself dying the most when running 4-mans with NO healer to speak of because we couldnt find one and just went anyway, or used someones companion healer as the 4th. Doesn't usually work out too well.

I leveled healer from 1-50. I needed to use CC.

It was most definitely a challenge and I hope more people give it a shot before saying there is no challenge. ;0)

I have noticed one thing. I am most definitely one of the only healers in PvP. Consistent top scores because no one else is doing it. This game favors the mindset that you rush the target from 100% to 0%. I cannot figure out why. I almost always have people sitting on me and aren't interrupting me. I had about 4-5 ranged enemies on me in Voidstar and I kept Line-of-Sighting their attacks. Most of them would just sit there for a few seconds, run to me and start casting again.

I even had one person say, "Stop running and hiding, let me kill you." While I was healing my teammates and staying out of LoS. Who won that skirmish? My team of 2.

I know that assumptions are bad. But on my server, most of the people complaining about issues fighting classes or other things usually all have one thing in common: They aren't very good at the game.

Edit: On a PvE note. Lt. Iresso really likes the Lekku. Even Nadia loves my Lekku.

Last edited:

It was most definitely a challenge and I hope more people give it a shot before saying there is no challenge. ;0)

I have noticed one thing. I am most definitely one of the only healers in PvP. Consistent top scores because no one else is doing it. This game favors the mindset that you rush the target from 100% to 0%. I cannot figure out why. I almost always have people sitting on me and aren't interrupting me. I had about 4-5 ranged enemies on me in Voidstar and I kept Line-of-Sighting their attacks. Most of them would just sit there for a few seconds, run to me and start casting again.

I even had one person say, "Stop running and hiding, let me kill you." While I was healing my teammates and staying out of LoS. Who won that skirmish? My team of 2.

I know that assumptions are bad. But on my server, most of the people complaining about issues fighting classes or other things usually all have one thing in common: They aren't very good at the game.

My coworker has gone full healing and at Lvl 22, he is getting First place in a lot of Warzones due to healing. Its pretty funny when he gets voted MVP.

Makes me think I may respec to healing on my scounderal for a bit til I get more dps abilities

My coworker has gone full healing and at Lvl 22, he is getting First place in a lot of Warzones due to healing. Its pretty funny when he gets voted MVP.

Makes me think I may respec to healing on my scounderal for a bit til I get more dps abilities

Its not like these classes can't solo effectively specced into healing. You still get all the base abilities for Smug/Scoundrel. You will inevitably kill things slower but you will pretty much never die, IMO. Healer merc's do just fine, I imagine this class does as well.

Honestly man, I feel like *ALL* games do this to me if I play them too much in a short period of time. I get the "been there done that effect" -- because lets be real, most of what we see today are carbon copies of things we have already played. The only reason I lack this feeling for TOR is because of the amount of time I put into it. I'm not sure how much you were playing it, but I know for a fact that if I was playing 6+ hours a day it would only take a week for me to be done with it because it would turn into that same pointless "grind" that I associate with MMOs.

I played the fuck out of Skyrim for 3 days (8 hours+ per day) and I havent launched the game since.

Everyone is different but I personally have to limit myself or I will start feeling like the game is a chore, rather than a fun hobby. I think the only games I can play without feeling this way are multiplayer FPS. I could play Battlefield 3 forever.

I mostly agree but I played WoW, Warhammer, Aion, Rift, etc. much harder and they lasted a month at the minimum. I was just responding to the "bored players need friends for this game to be fun" comment as playing with friends didn't help keep me interested.

lol on the CC's... Im a Jedi Sage and try to Cc every pull.. but almost NEVER does it last.. even when I have tried to explain to the group...

So I just heal...

Did anyone beat Lord Hasper on.. Bonus Boss in Taral V? Pulls the group to him, that lightening shit.. seemed un interrupt-able... after 5 wipes. said screw it..

I also agree with not living in the game prolonging the fun...

been playing alike a few weeks. have BH at 15, and Jedi Sage at 32...

Did anyone beat Lord Hasper on.. Bonus Boss in Taral V? Pulls the group to him, that lightening shit.. seemed un interrupt-able... after 5 wipes. said screw it..

Yeah we died a couple times, then found that the best way was to have the tank be the only one in the room...and the other dps/healer/healer we had stand outside, and when he is about to pull, you need to move over so that you hit the door jam and don't actually go in the room. :p

Yeah we died a couple times, then found that the best way was to have the tank be the only one in the room...and the other dps/healer/healer we had stand outside, and when he is about to pull, you need to move over so that you hit the door jam and don't actually go in the room. :p

good tip..thanks..

Edit: On a PvE note. Lt. Iresso really likes the Lekku. Even Nadia loves my Lekku.

Not every class has an interrupt.

“I think it’s safe to say that the total all-in investment in ‘Star Wars’ is probably approaching half a billion dollars,” Creutz says. “EA has minimized its risks as much as it can on this bet, but it’s still a risky bet. To the extent that any one game defines his tenure, it’s going to be how ‘Star Wars’ performs"

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/106...ublic-approaching-half-a-billion-dollars.html

A HALF A BILLION DOLLARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omfg ...r u kidding me ??!!! this game is NOT WORTH that much

I remember reading a tech article in 2008 discussing the expense to support WoW and in the four years from 2004 to 2008 it cost 200 million.

So considering that it cost 135 million to produce swtor I'd say the near-half billion estimate (if they plan to run it for at least four years) is pretty close. Costs real money not just for coding and designing and producing the game but also keeping all of those pretty servers up and running perfectly 24/7 for millions of addicted people.

Not sure. I haven't really played the CC classes but I seem to always see the animations when someone else is trying. Unless they happen to CC a mob that was a good distance away from the other mobs, they most always get broken far before they are supposed to. IMO, mostly solo players who are not used to CC'ing mobs and probably don't even think twice before unloading a slew of AoE abilities. To be fair, the game doesn't provide an incredible level of challenge to actually NEED those CC's 90% of the time. Most of the times that I have died have been less because of the need of CC and more because of the lack of skill of the players I'm with. I've found myself dying the most when running 4-mans with NO healer to speak of because we couldnt find one and just went anyway, or used someones companion healer as the 4th. Doesn't usually work out too well.

The great thing is I think every class has a form of CC. But the game doesn't require CC, in situations you want to use it is to make the encounter easier, not to make an impossible situation possible.

Back