Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

Ordered the CE for the Hell of it on Amazon. If I don't like the game, there will be plenty of guys with a bigger Star Wars boner than me willing to buy it for most of my investment. If it's awesome, well, then it's awesome.

^^LOL :p

I hear ya and on a monday morning too!!??! Wtf? hehe

Edit: In reference to Mungo's comment about his burnt coffee. :)

So if you were betting, what does everyone realistically think the release month will be ? I will say Thanksgiving time, late Nov / early Dec. Is 3 to 4 months enough to polish this game for release ?

I hope ATI has their next gen VideoCards out then too, I am running a triple 27" monitor Eyefinity setup, will need more horsepower to run this game at 5760x1200 res. Does anyone know if this game handles Eyefinity resolutions ok ?

Ordered the CE for the Hell of it on Amazon. If I don't like the game, there will be plenty of guys with a bigger Star Wars boner than me willing to buy it for most of my investment. If it's awesome, well, then it's awesome.

pretty much the boat I'm in too...

I was thinking about a [H] guild in TOR. Say Empire side on a PVP server? Who wants to organize this? ;) Good idea? I have a TS3 server for us if needed. Opinions?

I remember right the SWG beta has tens of thousands of beta testers and they were always giving out new beta keys and emails. Around this time,a few months before release as you claim there were also tons of more info and videos.

This is a good point. Star Wars Galaxies is probably biggest piece of shit game I've ever played. It's certainly the worst MMO game I've ever played and definitely the worst Star Wars game I've ever played. How the fuck can you include Stormtroopers, Jawas, astromech units, and use all that iconic Star Wars music and still create a game that doesn't feel like Star Wars? What's that? I can be an X-Wing pilot but I can't have an X-Wing, fly in space, or get into space combat? WTF?

The game was fail from day one and all the patching in the world couldn't fix that soggy shit sandwich. I'd rather create printer queues or create group policies in active directory all day on a really slow server over an even slower VPN connection than play SWG.

This is a good point. Star Wars Galaxies is probably biggest piece of shit game I've ever played. It's certainly the worst MMO game I've ever played and definitely the worst Star Wars game I've ever played. How the fuck can you include Stormtroopers, Jawas, astromech units, and use all that iconic Star Wars music and still create a game that doesn't feel like Star Wars? What's that? I can be an X-Wing pilot but I can't have an X-Wing, fly in space, or get into space combat? WTF?

The game was fail from day one and all the patching in the world couldn't fix that soggy shit sandwich. I'd rather create printer queues or create group policies in active directory all day on a really slow server over an even slower VPN connection than play SWG.

One big caveat here is SWG Beta is/was a completely different game than SWG a month after release or so, and the gap just kept getting wider as SWG got worse and worse.

Yes actually lol.

Did someone ever end up making the Imperial side of the guild? If not we need to do that. Oh and make sure the guild is on a PVP server or no deal. :p No carebears here. ;)

Definitely going dark side here... so we need that for sure.

mmm dark side/imperial - screw the republic, buncha tree hugging bastards :p

Definitely going dark side here... so we need that for sure.

mmm dark side/imperial - screw the republic, buncha tree hugging bastards :p

Hahaha tree huggers. Amen brother. Ya my Sith Warrior (maurder most likely) wants to rip apart some light side lovers. ;):p

Hahaha tree huggers. Amen brother. Ya my Sith Warrior (maurder most likely) wants to rip apart some light side lovers. ;):p

sweet, I'll likely be going the tank spec... which I think is juggernaut?

I was thinking about a [H] guild in TOR. Say Empire side on a PVP server? Who wants to organize this? ;) Good idea? I have a TS3 server for us if needed. Opinions?

I was thinking same thing, I always played Horde Blood Elf Tankadin and Blood Elf Death Knight Frost DPS, in WoW, so Empire is my choice, either a Sith Warrior Tank or Bounty Hunter. And I never played PvP server, but I think with this game, would be the cool way to go. Sign me up :)

sweet, I'll likely be going the tank spec... which I think is juggernaut?

Yes juger gets heavy armor and single saber. Maurder gets medium armor and dual sabers slightly more dps and a short 6 secs in combat cloak (stealth). Just the cliff note summaries.

I was thinking same thing, I always played Horde Blood Elf Tankadin and Blood Elf Death Knight Frost DPS, in WoW, so Empire is my choice, either a Sith Warrior Tank or Bounty Hunter. And I never played PvP server, but I think with this game, would be the cool way to go. Sign me up :)

Excellent ok. So the question is....do we already have an Imperial side to the [H] guild or is it still just light side? We need to know so we can make the dark side one if necessary or need the name so we can join. :)

Excellent ok. So the question is....do we already have an Imperial side to the [H] guild or is it still just light side? We need to know so we can make the dark side one if necessary or need the name so we can join. :)

I guess there isn't one, should I make one or did you want to?

They did post the preorder info in this thread first. But nobody saw it / paid attention to it. I just tried to get the word out a little faster is all. And it did work as you see how many people started discussing the preorder pricing and stuff. Just ask a moderator to close the other thread. You have my blessing.

Yup, I had forgotten it was coming that night, thanks to you I got my ce orders in quickly.

I guess there isn't one, should I make one or did you want to?

Go for it dude. Post all the info here when you're done. Also I can provide a dedicated TS3 server for us if needed when the game launches. I've had a TS server professionally hosted for 7 years for myself and some close friends who used to play SWG together. I can up the slots and have that available for us for the TOR guild in the fall.

Go for it dude. Post all the info here when you're done. Also I can provide a dedicated TS3 server for us if needed when the game launches. I've had a TS server professionally hosted for 7 years for myself and some close friends who used to play SWG together. I can up the slots and have that available for us for the TOR guild in the fall.

I always hated teamspeak over ventrilo lol

I had a cool idea just came to mind. Ok so obviously the typical server choices will probably be available. Ie: RP,PVP and normal servers. However an additional choice that would be cool is the possible addition of a "hardcore" server. As in a server dedicated to old school MMO players that want a more hardcore old school ruleset. One with much more stringent death penalities, more hardcore pvp with a possible loss of some gear/money and or xp. A server where all the dungeons/raid encounters are much more difficult and more rewarding. Maybe the level cap takes 3 times as long to reach? Generally speaking a much more old school gameplay type of server. maybe the reward for rolling a toon on such a server would be, aside from the bragging rights, acccess to different tiers of gear/weapons, access to different levels of bosses and encounters and possibly titles not in the normal game? I don't know just kind of sounds very cool to me.

What do you guys think?

I'm going to make an imperial side guild this afternoon after work. My WoW server is all but abandoned and I am not transferring again. I'm going to get a head start on TOR. Any [H]'ers will be welcome, it WILL be PVP...

The posture of the character in the video is making me cringe. There are some other videos of Jedi Consulars running this way as well ... Why are they leaning forward so much?!

Little bit of Asian MMO influence there, which is influenced from anime.

I had a cool idea just came to mind. Ok so obviously the typical server choices will probably be available. Ie: RP,PVP and normal servers. However an additional choice that would be cool is the possible addition of a "hardcore" server. As in a server dedicated to old school MMO players that want a more hardcore old school ruleset. One with much more stringent death penalities, more hardcore pvp with a possible loss of some gear/money and or xp. A server where all the dungeons/raid encounters are much more difficult and more rewarding. Maybe the level cap takes 3 times as long to reach? Generally speaking a much more old school gameplay type of server. maybe the reward for rolling a toon on such a server would be, aside from the bragging rights, acccess to different tiers of gear/weapons, access to different levels of bosses and encounters and possibly titles not in the normal game? I don't know just kind of sounds very cool to me.

What do you guys think?

I think that is a pipe dream in this MMO market.

I'm going to make an imperial side guild this afternoon after work. My WoW server is all but abandoned and I am not transferring again. I'm going to get a head start on TOR. Any [H]'ers will be welcome, it WILL be PVP...

yeah I don't know how much time I can commit (wife/kids) to leading a full guild, but I can certainly help out with one... You have any names in mind?

I think that is a pipe dream in this MMO market.

I don't see why. It doesn't have to be the main focus of the game. A few server dedicated to that doesn't seem to crazy to me. 90% of the player base probably wouldn't want anything to do with it but those of us that like a challenge would more than likely. The same game just a more "hardcore' ruleset. Why is this difficult? Or a pipedream? remember I'm not saying the game in general should be this way, just a server or 2.

I don't see why. It doesn't have to be the main focus of the game. A few server dedicated to that doesn't seem to crazy to me. 90% of the player base probably wouldn't want anything to do with it but those of us that like a challenge would more than likely. The same game just a more "hardcore' ruleset. Why is this difficult? Or a pipedream? remember I'm not saying the game in general should be this way, just a server or 2.

It would be wonderful, but I sincerely doubt it will happen.

Check the hard gaming forum. We need one to be our rivals :)

Little bit of Asian MMO influence there, which is influenced from anime.

Right, similar to Lineage 2 and others... I just don't know why they opted for that style. I think it looks really weird, especially since it's a Star Wars game and there are no ties to anime or Asian influences.

It's bad enough they went with the cartoon art style to try and cater to the masses with underpowered PCs. I still pre-ordered my Collector's Edition, I just hope that the gameplay makes up for the artistic downfalls.

Would be cool, but most likely won't ever happen. They would have RP-PVP servers long before they would do this, they don't even want to do that it seems.

say what you will, but when it first came out it did many things right.

In SWG , like Ultima online, you had the CHOICE of what character to play extremely freely.

On top of this they had player housing, that WASN:T instanced. (it wasn't perfect though) but there's just something you don't find in any mmo besides SWG or UO when you can go to actual peoples houses in game and do various things.

Then you had the player crafting, which was based on various elements found in the world. This + the housing system created a GREAT player-ran economy, one of the best in any mmo.

You had actual REAL people setting prices and changing/cornering markets. Not based on an auction house, but physically haggling and doing things.

I remember when the biggest crafter on our server had a competitor crafter move in nearby. HE got pissed, the new guy had a huge sale on simialr equipment for a lot cheaper prices and custom orders. The other main crafter tried to ospread rumors and shit outside while people were shopping.

I'm not saying the game "felt likle Star wars," because some things didn't. However the choices in character customization, the open world player housing and crafting were ALL superb and allowed a much more player choice based rpg then most.

I don't know about you, but the combat of SW:TOR looks about as FAR from Star Wars as you can get, MMO style combat is just, imo, the wrong direction, especially when you say things likle "we choose Star wars before any mmo'ism."

I have no doubt the storylines/characters will have a Star Wars feel, but just the actual gameplay to me is a disappointment in that regard. I wanted to have movement affect combat, be able to dodge, block (with your skill, not simply a die roll), not have healbots/tanks/dps setups, but something you'd see out of the films instead.

say what you will, but when it first came out it did many things right.

In SWG , like Ultima online, you had the CHOICE of what character to play extremely freely.

On top of this they had player housing, that WASN:T instanced. (it wasn't perfect though) but there's just something you don't find in any mmo besides SWG or UO when you can go to actual peoples houses in game and do various things.

Then you had the player crafting, which was based on various elements found in the world. This + the housing system created a GREAT player-ran economy, one of the best in any mmo.

You had actual REAL people setting prices and changing/cornering markets. Not based on an auction house, but physically haggling and doing things.

I remember when the biggest crafter on our server had a competitor crafter move in nearby. HE got pissed, the new guy had a huge sale on simialr equipment for a lot cheaper prices and custom orders. The other main crafter tried to ospread rumors and shit outside while people were shopping.

I'm not saying the game "felt likle Star wars," because some things didn't. However the choices in character customization, the open world player housing and crafting were ALL superb and allowed a much more player choice based rpg then most.

I don't know about you, but the combat of SW:TOR looks about as FAR from Star Wars as you can get, MMO style combat is just, imo, the wrong direction, especially when you say things likle "we choose Star wars before any mmo'ism."

I have no doubt the storylines/characters will have a Star Wars feel, but just the actual gameplay to me is a disappointment in that regard. I wanted to have movement affect combat, be able to dodge, block (with your skill, not simply a die roll), not have healbots/tanks/dps setups, but something you'd see out of the films instead.

Galaxies did do those things right, but I hated having to get buffed to do anything, I hated the combat, no ships, nothing in space, etc. It was just crap. Not everyone is into crafting. They should have called it Star Crafting or Star House or something because that's all it had going for it. The game was a lame fucking duck from day one. Despite this, I can agree a few things were done right, but far more were done wrong.

And I agree with you about the combat. Personally I'd love to see something more along the lines of the Force Unleashed with regard to combat. I don't see that happening, but it would be nice. Let skill determine the victor, rather than stats, gear and menu driven combat.

Let skill determine the victor, rather than stats, gear and menu driven combat.

Thats been tried before, it usually doesn't go well. Then again it usually isn't done well. DCU O and AoC come to mind with the skill over gear.

Thats been tried before, it usually doesn't go well. Then again it usually isn't done well. DCU O and AoC come to mind with the skill over gear.

DCUO and AOC faile dbecause both relied not on player skill, but on LEVELS and GEAR.

If you want player skill in combat to make a difference, you have to allow it now, and not make gear/lv's > every little thing or you can get around it by having tier systems.

That's one thing Warhammer did excellent. In PVPthe lower lv's got buffed to higher lv's in pvp area's, and it worked great. You could pvp whenever you wanted and didn't hav eto race to lv to do it.

Back