Official GTX 680 overclocking Thread!

There doesn't appear to be any way - but just like with Intel's turbo, why bother? The card clocks up when it can, so I'm not sure I see the reason to want to lock it? When fully loaded (playing BF3 for instance) mine runs at the top clock speed all the time, so it may as well be locked.

Edit: I tried playing with the settings in the control panel before and it didn't seem to make any difference. But I didn't try too hard as I like it to downclock.

In less intensive games the cars downclocks. But I want full power and full frames. So :-/ I want power all the time I game. Its what I bought the card for. :).

I hope they figure it out.

Maybe, sometimes contact with the core (whether CPU or GPU) stability could be affected before the temps are even an issue. Just wondering as I've see alot of well clocked 680s and some really bad ones. Just wondering if some have bad contact. Its a few screws and the stock tim is like toothpaste so I'd definitely recommend people check it and apply some decent TIM in any case.

Any recommendations for a good (relatively safe) tim?

Probably just by flashing the BIOS. Why would you need to though? Mine never runs at the base clock.

mine only runs at baseclock! : ( playing arma 2 or batman AC....will go to boost for a couple of seconds not very often and that is it....temps are always under 60c...i tried 301.10, 301.24 now i am using 301.25 that has been the best driver for me so far...

mine only runs at baseclock! : ( playing arma 2 or batman AC....will go to boost for a couple of seconds not very often and that is it....temps are always under 60c...i tried 301.10, 301.24 now i am using 301.25 that has been the best driver for me so far...

That doesn't sound right. What actual clockspeed is it running at (1006?)? Have you tried setting an offset yet?

Is 1189 a decent stock boost on an SC+? It runs stable and no higher than 67C at 1280/6800, but I don't want to push my PSU too much.

Is 1189 a decent stock boost on an SC+? It runs stable and no higher than 67C at 1280/6800, but I don't want to push my PSU too much.

That sounds pretty good for stock, actually. Some people aren't getting that even with an offset.

With offset I'm getting 1175 currently. I thought 1200 was stable but I had a few BF3 lockups (but to be fair right now im not 100% certain it was the card)

That doesn't sound right. What actual clockspeed is it running at (1006?)? Have you tried setting an offset yet?

yes i did and the same, always 1006! : ( i think i got a bad card...

And for people that has x79 system you should take a look here:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1537816&mpage=1

and here http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1509861

Because nvidia is not supporting pci-e 3.0 on the x79/SB-E system on the new drivers....(301.10 and up) but the hack does the job!

Did you turn up the power level to 132%?

My SC+ is only suppose to do 1124 boost, but with only increasing the power level to 132% and not changing the offset's, my SC+ boosts to 1201.

Just maxing the power level will increase your boost clock people. As far as I'm concerned, power level should always be set at 132% for best results.

Did you turn up the power level to 132%?

i did when overclocking it.But i am going to try just the power level to 132% and no overclock.

Just flashed my gtx 680 zotec bios to a custom evga bios 1150/1752/1215 132% and now its another card!

Last edited:
My stable clocks:
Core +150
Mem + 580
Power 132%
Voltage +62.5

Top clock speeds in afterburner are 1260 for Core and 3580 for Mem.

Seems rock stable in everything I play (including BF3) and I've done some pretty extensive testing.

Might try to raise the the mem clock a bit more, see if I can do +650 stable. But the max for the core seems to be +150 (1260Mhz), any higher and the drivers will crash eventually.

I'm pretty happy with this overclock.

Last edited:
Heres my OCing/Benchmarks for everyone.

Any input on if these scores are decent, let me know. Like I said still new-ish to the higher-end performance OCing. Thanks! Re linked this from abit ago cause no one seemed to really comment and I'm still curios.. This was a card from release day, and I haven't ran any tests since or with the .24 drivers hanging around.

benchy.jpg
bench2.jpg

That is decent, i get a GPU score of alittle over 36000... problem is that CPUs will vary the scores on Vantage and 3dmarks. I have a icore 7 920 oc to 4.4 and i get 10000 in 3dmark 11, around 33000 in Vantage(overall score), and 29000 in 3dmark 06.

i did when overclocking it.But i am going to try just the power level to 132% and no overclock.

Just flashed my gtx 680 zotec bios to a custom evga bios 1150/1752/1215 132% and now its another card!

I wanna flash my SC to an Asus Direct CU II... its 1137 and 1202 boost. Thats about what my card can handle with out lock ups. 1224 is the highest ive seen before it shits the bed. Memory goes to 7000. But id like to have all my games run at 1137 instead of 1058 while not in boost. When i play my games i always use regular vsync and the card doesnt always use boost as a direct result. Super SF4 Arcade only clocks to 500ish and thats with 1080p and 32xAA lol... What program did u use? i have the bios i want to flash, but i wanna wait for all the 680s to be in the programs drivers before i flash my impossable to get 680GTX

I wanna flash my SC to an Asus Direct CU II... its 1137 and 1202 boost. Thats about what my card can handle with out lock ups. 1224 is the highest ive seen before it shits the bed. Memory goes to 7000. But id like to have all my games run at 1137 instead of 1058 while not in boost. When i play my games i always use regular vsync and the card doesnt always use boost as a direct result. Super SF4 Arcade only clocks to 500ish and thats with 1080p and 32xAA lol... What program did u use? i have the bios i want to flash, but i wanna wait for all the 680s to be in the programs drivers before i flash my impossable to get 680GTX

You can't edit clock speeds via the bios now. The bios needs to be digitally signed now. Kind of like with AMD.

Whynot just use an offset? Flashing the BIOS won't change the card downclocking when not under a heavy load - which is what is happening with Vsync on - the card is running at 50% or something and is downclocking correspondingly. I don't think flashing the BIOS would change that even if you could flash it. When under load the card is going to boost anyway - I've never seen mine run at 1006 - it always runs at the boost speed under load.

i am using an offset, i just thought that it would be nice to have 1137/1202 core without running a program. Ive always made custom bios and ive read people doing it, im just not sure how safe it is right now... thanks for the feedback though

i am using an offset, i just thought that it would be nice to have 1137/1202 core without running a program. Ive always made custom bios and ive read people doing it, im just not sure how safe it is right now... thanks for the feedback though

Once you set the offset via Afterburner or Precision, I don't think those programs need to be running for that overclock to set. Even after a reboot those settings will stick without re-running Afterburner or Precision - I believe the reason for that is that they make their changes at the driver level. You can verify that by setting an offset, rebooting, and then checking the clock speeds with GPU-z.

Not the same as a BIOS change, but the best you can do until someone cracks the BIOS lock.

I agree, i use Precision and it remebers my overclock at windows start up. Core, memory and fanspeed are always set to what i have. Im looking forward to seeing what people do in the future to overclock this card. I know they say no voltage tweaking on reference but i believe that too many people will buy this card and someone will figure it out. I bet if i could up my core voltage i could get 1400 stable. Heat isnt an issue at all for me. Ill wait and be happy. Wish there were some new games to get excited about though! Halflife 3, Heart of the Swarm, ect... i want some block busters to come out now. I would love to see Valve come out with a new engine, think how sick it would be. Consolers would be soo jealous.

The clocks will still when you reboot..but I have an issue with the fan curve, so I just run PX minimized.

Anyone noticed BF3 SP runs warmer than MP ? or is it just me...maybe someone can test it please.

I settled at 1235/3450, which is 132% pw +111 gpu and +450 mem.

My boost is 1124 btw.

I settled at 1235/3450, which is 132% pw +111 gpu and +450 mem.

My boost is 1124 btw.[/QUOTE]

Thats wierd, i overclock my core by 45 and memory by 400 because i too have boost at 1124 and the memory is already at 6200 and my card is at 1215/3494. If i brought my card to +111 gpu my core would be at 1285ish and wouldnt be 100% stable. There really are too many variables with boost. I wish i could set my core and boost to always 1200. No matter what. Maybe one day?

Thats wierd, i overclock my core by 45 and memory by 400 because i too have boost at 1124 and the memory is already at 6200 and my card is at 1215/3494. If i brought my card to +111 gpu my core would be at 1285ish and wouldnt be 100% stable. There really are too many variables with boost. I wish i could set my core and boost to always 1200. No matter what. Maybe one day?
Try setting your offset to 76 and see if its stable.

Hey gang, I would like some clarification on the numbers people are posting. I have the Evga GTX 680 SC card as opposed to the vanilla version that I assume most people purchased. On paper, the base is 1058mhz and 1124mhz boost. However, the card will run at 1202mhz stock cap without touching power/clock/mem/voltage. Hence, when I play around with Precision X the +clock would be added to the 1202mhz cap (example: +100 + 1202(default)= 1302mhz overclock). I wonder when people post +75 or +150 offsets are they adding to the 1058mhz cap or 1006mhz cap? Currently, I'm stable at 132%/+70/+300/default voltage (1272mhz/6.4ghz) on default Auto Fan Curve.

You should be able to. I have mine set to where it goes to 1260 every time, all the time, just by setting a +150 offset. If yours does 1124 then a +76 boost should give you 1200 as well - but remember it is temperature dependent, so you need to let the temps stabilize under load to get a good reading of what it will do.

Each card may differ so it's pointless for people to post + offsets and should be posting end clock instead.
Agreed..Mem and GPU offsets in someones sig tells nothing about what clocks your running when gaming.

You can't edit clock speeds via the bios now. The bios needs to be digitally signed now. Kind of like with AMD.

Yes they are signed but a guy on MVKtech can edit the bios and they will work. See this thread here http://www.mvktech.net/component/op...view/id,62829/catid,10/limit,10/limitstart,0/

Asus CUII bios is on the last page if anyone wants to flash it.

What I really want to know is why some cards show different power targets. Most show 132% but for insyance I have seen some say 111%

Anyone know?

You should be able to. I have mine set to where it goes to 1260 every time, all the time, just by setting a +150 offset. If yours does 1124 then a +76 boost should give you 1200 as well - but remember it is temperature dependent, so you need to let the temps stabilize under load to get a good reading of what it will do.

Its not 100% stable.. in games its ok, but benching it will crash to desktop. Yet at +48 im at 1202 and 1215 while benching and thats ok. If i brought it up to +76 id be in the 1250 range and it only lasts a few moments before crashing. My particular card likes 1200/7000 and not too much more. Kinda sucks too, i even lapped the copper heatsink and added AS5. Temps stayed the same and it did nothing really. My card doesnt down clock when at 70C or 80C but it never goes past 82C when i have it maxed out for benches. Also note i leave fan speed at 51% and never raise it because silence is as important to me as power.

Its not 100% stable.. in games its ok, but benching it will crash to desktop. Yet at +48 im at 1202 and 1215 while benching and thats ok. If i brought it up to +76 id be in the 1250 range and it only lasts a few moments before crashing. My particular card likes 1200/7000 and not too much more. Kinda sucks too, i even lapped the copper heatsink and added AS5. Temps stayed the same and it did nothing really. My card doesnt down clock when at 70C or 80C but it never goes past 82C when i have it maxed out for benches. Also note i leave fan speed at 51% and never raise it because silence is as important to me as power.

Have you tried lowering the memory overclock while also raising the core clock? Try to balance those two a little?

I noticed by lowering my mem clock (even though it was stable) I got better performance. These cards are really strange....kinda fun if you ask me.

I noticed by lowering my mem clock (even though it was stable) I got better performance. These cards are really strange....kinda fun if you ask me.

CRC checking with GDDR5 its been like that since 4870. Unstable overclocks with GDDR5 can degrade performance before causing artifacts.

2 GB Phantom @ 1175 GPU (stock speed) and 6300 MEM (stock speed) max temp 74C with the fan at 50%.

14uubd1.jpg

Back