Official: Diablo 3 is Coming!

two completely different games and genres.

Completely irrelevant.

You were the one complaining about the rainbow

And no one here can identify when someone is kidding on these forums I guess.

There is nothing wrong with negative criticism. It is one thing to say the artwork is too cartoony, and a whole other beast to claim the game is going to suck or fail based off of the artwork.

The word suck is simply a given description which tells of a lower quality based on deficiencies noted, and lastly is once again an opinion. Also, I never said it would fail, as Blizzard clearly has a Midas touch, and even as terrible as I think WoW is, it hardly failed, now did it?

Nothing to give up for me. I'm neither defending or critiquing the artwork since I'm not basing any reviews on the game until more information comes out.

You're objecting to stated opinions which in itself is pretty worthless, adds nothing to the thread, and requires me to waste my time humoring you.

Whats funny is.. everyone bitching about this game is still going to buy it day one. I guess it just goes to show that no matter how lucky we are to have Diablo 3 in our sites, some are still ungrateful.

Whats funny is.. everyone bitching about this game is still going to buy it day one. I guess it just goes to show that no matter how lucky we are to have Diablo 3 in our sites, some are still ungrateful.

Damn right! This is gonna be the first game I've pre-ordered since Diablo II. :D

you're right... you don't.

the complains aren't about the graphics. they're about the atmosphere of the game world. the graphics alone and special effects look fine. but look here:

66767979ln8.jpg

from the top, D1, D2, D3 (current built).

now you see the difference? the Diablo world is spouse to be dark, destroyed, burned... not filled with flowers and rainbows. now do you get it? we're complaining about the mood of the game. this game is R rated. so make it look like one. not GTA style R rated, marketed for the 10 year orld... not WoW colorful and happy marketed at the masses.

You seem to forget somethings.

1) Diablo took place in a small part of the world of Sanctuary, and most of it was underground. No real comparison can be drawn to the other Diablo games.

2) Diablo II took place during the siege on hell on Sanctuary, This is why the world is a dark and destroyed place. The people are in despair and trying to survive.

3) Diablo III takes place 20 years AFTER the event of Diablo II. Sanctuary was purged of evil and humanity started rebuilding itself. The grass grew greener, flowers bloomed, people and their culture cultivated.
THEN, apparently, disaster struck.

On that note, I will preorder ASAP.

The video was of early game, where it could look fine outside after rebuilding etc. I do think it would be a little more fitting if it was a little darker, sort of like coming stormclouds.

The dungeons themselves are another story. In D1, there was black all around the corner of your screen, the screenshot above is highly misleading. Also in D2, dungeons that should have been dark, were very much so. This is not the case with D3 from what we have seen so far.

I'm buying this game. Not pre-ordering it though....

Pre-ordering is a unnecessary relic of the past. It's often easier and quicker to just show up at launch and avoid a lot of hassle, especially when the location you pre-ordered from doesn't match pre-orders with quantities they are receiving, and end up leaving many people SoL.

lol, stupid comments "im not buying this game because it looks so... green"

yeah right, you started of in a green environment in diablo 2. The amount of bashing is becoming silly. The atmosphere of the game world you just let us see is only a part of the game, by no means its the rest of the game.

Im glad theyve stuck on the fixed third person view. Im glad they made cartoonish.. i.e. arty. Im glad that theyre releasing it only on the PC to concentrate dev on the game storyline/gameplay than ports. Im glad that they are releasing diablo 3

So excited about this game. I wasted countless hours playing diablo 2 growing up, but I never played through the original.

I just hope it's not too long until the game is released... it's been too long.

Diablo2 was already considered significantly less moody than Diablo1. That was a big criticism of it. Diablo1 can be qualified as an action/horror game. Think of the dark catacombs and the invisible monstrosities, the gore and the dark music. There is also something about going down deeper and deeper underground and seeing progressively more disturbing shit. That's the one area where I felt Diablo2 dropped the ball. Particularly acts 1 and 2 feel like they don't belong in a Diablo game at all.

I really hope D3 gets a more gritty/gothicy look than what's in the video, because right now it seems headed more in the warcraft side of the art spectrum than diablo.

Diablo2 was already considered significantly less moody than Diablo1. That was a big criticism of it. Diablo1 can be qualified as an action/horror game. Think of the dark catacombs and the invisible monstrosities, the gore and the dark music. There is also something about going down deeper and deeper underground and seeing progressively more disturbing shit. That's the one area where I felt Diablo2 dropped the ball. Particularly acts 1 and 2 feel like they don't belong in a Diablo game at all.

Yeah, when I played Diablo 1 i was like 12 years old. I kept wanting to play and not at the same time because it was creepy. When I got diablo 2, years after it came out the creepiness subsided. However it was still fun so, I'm going to play the game super creepy or not.

Also, people who say that hotbar is bad. You're foolish hotbar will be amazing and using more then two skills will be quite nice. So if you think that diablo is going to be ruined because blizz is making more skills available i feel for you.

Has it been released as to how online play is going to be handled? Will it be free like previous versions or will it be pay to play like WoW?

I really hope D3 gets a more gritty/gothicy look than what's in the video, because right now it seems headed more in the warcraft side of the art spectrum than diablo.

My biggest grip with D1 was the shameless reuse of sprites. Coloring a Succubus red, purple, black, white, yellow and etc doesn't a different monster make!

"Oh look! Weak little succubi! Let's teleport in and clear the room with my uber chain lightning... No wait! These are the yellow and blue ones that are immune to magic! I'm screwed..."

D2 still employed this tactic, but was not nearly as big an offender.

Oh, and don't get me started on why in D1, Diablo, "the Lord of Destruction" takes full damage from the fireball spell, even on Hell difficulty... (edit: or maybe it just seemed that way because the fireball spell was so damn overpowered)

Has it been released as to how online play is going to be handled? Will it be free like previous versions or will it be pay to play like WoW?

They didn't answer that yet. Keep your fingers crossed.

They talked a little about the online mechanics themselves (party size etc) and stated that there would be changes coming to bnet, just not what those changes would actually be.

So I missed out on Diablo back in those days, style of gameplay never really appealed to me. I did however play Dungeon Siege coop over LAN and internet, and enjoyed that a bit. Also have Dungeon Siege 2, but it was the same old gameplay, minor tweaks, but too brain dead to be engaging. Played through most of Neverwinter Nights 1, kicked Dungeon Siege's ass IMO.

I'm hoping that the isometic view and "fantasy rpg" are the only similarities Diablo and Dungeon Siege share.

I for one cant wait...I think its looks great. I dont know why everyone is complaining. Its freakin D3!

OK, here's something that I worry about with modern RPG's. Titan Quest was a great game, could possibly have been a Diablo replacement, if not for the static levels. The greatest thing about both Diablo games was that the levels were randomly generated, you would never get the same map twice. Titan Quest screwed that up. Will Diablo 3?

Bravo to HG:L for getting the random level system down, but I think they screwed up by "instancing" it. If I clear a level once, I don't want to go back to it later and have to clear a completely new map.

Do you guys think Diablo 3 will be random levels, or a static map? Which would you prefer?

So I just got done watching that guy on YouTube.

I'd say its fairly legit. I actually think its really cool how it worked out for him with the make a wish foundation.

The video is completely fake.
The game footage on his screen matches the live gameplay demo from Blizzard exactly.

The fact that the devs said in the Q&A session that they haven't even nailed down a skill tree or inventory system should be a dead giveaway that it's fake. Also, how hard is it to take a video and throw a pause screen in the middle? Did you notice that when he pauses it, the keystroke and the pause don't match up. I can't believe I'm arguing about a clip on youtube being fake, we should all know better by now.

I watch the video, lol, I really don't know what to make of it, the guy tells a pretty convincing story but its sketchy. Another thing , is that the video seems like its been cut up and recorded at different spots, like hes not really telling the story in full, seems put together over a period of time.

He didn't pause the video, he just chose a spot in the video where the character stands still, its in the middle of the one on the D3 official website.

The class number wasn't set. I don't remember seeing that in the Faq yesterday and I did checked it. Nevermind now is known. Is the same number as DII

Back