Official Deus Ex: Human Revolution thread

does that mean we got the short version of the story? How would they cut content out of such a story-based rpg without messing up the story?

The result may be that some areas of the story are not as expanded upon as they would have been, for instance the issue being discussed. Maybe more background story would have been presented about the boss characters as well. You obviously try to leave the core story intact as much as possible as the priority.

The plan was initially to have 2 more hub cities, the game even gave the impression of that. For instance Upper Hengsha (originally planned), it always seemed like you were supposed to go there. Montreal was the other hub city.

If you compare the trailer as well to DXHR, it seems likely they had to make some scripting changes to accommodate things. It isn't really a offering you a shorter/cut story necessarily, but more of over planning initially.

I just started playing but the first two bad guys killed me every time I tried to kill. I can take one out, but three bullets from the second and I'm dead. Maybe I need to wait longer and shoot them in the back.

That's a learning curve; the real problem is the horribad load times. I'm in a tiny fucking corridor fps game, what takes so long? I thought the patch had fixed this, but after the third reloading screen I decided to clear out some other games from my backlog and wait for another patch. If loading is always this slow I don't think I'll be able to finish this game.
To be honest, I got killed many times during that first introductory section. How could I be so incredibly horrible at the game? I finally got past it (even with those bad load times). The game does change after that, making it more apparent what your health is (giving a HUD) and less difficult to deal with enemies if you are creative. So, give a few more tries and just get past that. The game is really worth it.

That does suck to hear your load times are bad. Mine were initially but one of the first patches that they pushed out fixed them to the 4-5 seconds mentioned by others. Changes the game considerably!

The first enemies you encounter as in when Sarif first comes under attack? Keep in mind you have a Combat Rifle with the laser sight upgrade that makes all bullets land where the laser is pointing...surgical accuracy. Just aim for the heads from behind cover and they go down instantly. If you're trying to play this game like a traditional FPS, you're going to have plenty of trouble down the road. Think of it as a Splinter Cell/Metal Gear game where going toe to toe rarely yields positive results especially on the hardest difficulty.

Also, it sucks to hear people are still suffering from long load times. Since the patch my load times went from 25-30 seconds down to a mere 4-5 seconds. It's so fast I don't get a chance to read any of the summaries!

I'd probably be more accurate with a single shot weapon as opposed to an automatic. I *like* that you're killed easily and it's just a simple matter of getting used to the game and how the developers want you to play, which has been mentioned plenty of times on this thread.

Reload times are what's killing it for me; they're worse than pre-EE Witcher. Silly me; I'm assuming the game is updated because Steam said so--I should check the version against the patch and make sure everything's kosher. 4-5 second loads would be great.

I just started playing but the first two bad guys killed me every time I tried to kill. I can take one out, but three bullets from the second and I'm dead. Maybe I need to wait longer and shoot them in the back

if it's the first part of the game when the labs are being attacked then there is no need to kill them...just use the cover system and stealth past them...it's much more fun this way anyhow

Since the patch my load times went from 25-30 seconds down to a mere 4-5 seconds. It's so fast I don't get a chance to read any of the summaries!

same here...the loading screens go by way too quick for me...I have to speed-read just to read the whole thing, otherwise I'm not able to read the entire summary

The plan was initially to have 2 more hub cities, the game even gave the impression of that. For instance Upper Hengsha (originally planned), it always seemed like you were supposed to go there. Montreal was the other hub city.

If you compare the trailer as well to DXHR, it seems likely they had to make some scripting changes to accommodate things. It isn't really a offering you a shorter/cut story necessarily, but more of over planning initially.

maybe this was done on purpose to add DLC...I think most games nowadays are cut in some way due to developers wanting to save content for later

Is anyone else getting odd behaviour in this game regarding overclocking and visual artefacts?

I have a 5970 and I've grabbed the latest drivers and CAP etc, and I'm finding that I'm getting artefacts with clock speeds which are fine in all other games, in fact even if I drop the speeds right back to barely above factory settings I still get artefacts. GPU/Memory temps are really low...

At the clocks I have now even furmark is happy, I have no idea what's going on with this game, the GPU load doesn't even max out, it's about 70% for each core even in max settings, really odd.

I'd probably be more accurate with a single shot weapon as opposed to an automatic. I *like* that you're killed easily and it's just a simple matter of getting used to the game and how the developers want you to play, which has been mentioned plenty of times on this thread.

Reload times are what's killing it for me; they're worse than pre-EE Witcher. Silly me; I'm assuming the game is updated because Steam said so--I should check the version against the patch and make sure everything's kosher. 4-5 second loads would be great.

I plan to play a second time through, and I will honestly make choices on weapons to favor the pistol. The assault rifle cannot get the armor piercing upgrade, which is BS in the end. I've been around handguns and rifles long enough to know that a rifle will more easily make it through armor...and the assault rifle in DXHR just felt like a friggen pea shooter. The machine gun however felt like the assault rifle SHOULD HAVE.

I hope modding allows the power of weapons to be tweaked. As for bosses, the one that cloaks just kept kicking my ass with the EMP charges...and the final boss just felt too easy. Kill turrets, check. Destroy one part of the machine. Kill soldiers. Repeat. Then use laser on final boss, game finished. It didn't feel consistent.

maybe this was done on purpose to add DLC...I think most games nowadays are cut in some way due to developers wanting to save content for later

I wouldn't say the case you are saying doesn't exist, but I don't agree it is as widespread as you think. Budgeting and planning for projects like games are very problematic, and it has always been an issue (movies are frequently over budget, late, or cut down as well).

If you look back at DX1 for instance, it actually also had significant cut content. There was supposed to be another hub area (I think at Vandenberg?), Paris I believe was scaled down, there were cut missions to Washington and the Moon even.

Looking at something recent like the Witcher 2, I'm pretty sure the last chapter seemed a bit off in terms of length and scope to the previous two. I wouldn't be surprised if that had to be down-scaled.

For DXHR there seemed to be a lot of build up for upper Hengsha, and Montreal is significant because that is where Eidos Montreal is based. DXHR was also delayed, so I think there was some effort there to make things work as much as possible. The game was announced quite far back as well, so it wasn't something rushed to market.

Although I think the Tong rescue mission thing is something you'd have to find a bit fishy.

Overall though DXHR in terms of content released is fine to me. It doesn't feel short or rushed by itself really. And that is all that is important in my opinion. For something like a game you could really go on developing it forever with no definite end (if you had no budget/release time table considerations), but that doesn't end up the experience either.

I plan to play a second time through, and I will honestly make choices on weapons to favor the pistol. The assault rifle cannot get the armor piercing upgrade, which is BS in the end. I've been around handguns and rifles long enough to know that a rifle will more easily make it through armor...and the assault rifle in DXHR just felt like a friggen pea shooter. The machine gun however felt like the assault rifle SHOULD HAVE.

I hope modding allows the power of weapons to be tweaked. As for bosses, the one that cloaks just kept kicking my ass with the EMP charges...and the final boss just felt too easy. Kill turrets, check. Destroy one part of the machine. Kill soldiers. Repeat. Then use laser on final boss, game finished. It didn't feel consistent.

The final boss was easier than that if you talked your way to a major clue from

Hugh Darrow. If you convince him that his stance is wrong, he gives you the code to disable the turrets altogether. The code is fitting, by the way, seeing as how this device you're destroying is going to bring the end of the world as we know it... (/clue mode off)

BTW, I'm on my second playthrough of the game, this time taking more time to HACK EVERYTHING, if it has security panel, ima hack it :p

This is the best fun I've had in a game in a long, long time

A tip about the cloaking bosses people might not know, if you mark an enemy, they stay marked even when cloaked.

2nd boss wasn't a problem for me. As soon as she decloaked I just hit her with the stun gun, then used my combat rifle with the bullet following mod. Rinse, repeat, dead.

BTW, I'm on my second playthrough of the game, this time taking more time to HACK EVERYTHING, if it has security panel, ima hack it :p

This is the best fun I've had in a game in a long, long time
I think I've spent an unusual amount of time hacking stuff. I hack a lot.

I'm doing that on my first playthrough :) ...I also just ruined my 100% passive approach...I had not killed any enemies at all in the game up until I reached the Highland Park F.E.M.A. facility...there I encountered a giant robot mech and saw a rocket launcher nearby so I used it thinking the mech was a 'boss'...up until that point my main weapon was the silent takedown from behind (ala Batman Arkham Asylum) or the tranquilizer rifle, both of which only knock out the enemy

for my 2nd playthrough I will go in guns blazing...on a side note I find that the move heavy objects aug is very important

Typhoon really makes short work of the bosses. If you hit 2-3 of those, tops, you're going to win.

I'm having a blast with hacking & doing one-shot multi-kills with the explosive round modded revolver. :D

I'm having a blast with hacking & doing one-shot multi-kills with the explosive round modded revolver. :D

That revolver with that explosive round mod is pretty crazy but loud and sloppy.

I'm tricked out silent 10mm all the way backed up by a tricked out and silent Combat Rifle and the silent Sniper rifle. Sure, the tranq rifle and stun gun are there, too, but I save those for cops and strays and the lethals come out for the bad guys.

I just can't go all non-lethal in this game when they give me toys like these.

It's true. Silenced 10mm with a laser is a deadly weapon. Too useful to ignore.

for my 2nd playthrough I will go in guns blazing...on a side note I find that the move heavy objects aug is very important

Absolutely. My take on it is that, if you're trying to be stealthy, you want every aug that opens up new areas that you can take. This just gives you more ways around potential threats.

Absolutely. My take on it is that, if you're trying to be stealthy, you want every aug that opens up new areas that you can take. This just gives you more ways around potential threats.

I agree...and there are tons of places/vents blocked off by heavy boxes or crates which cannot be moved with 'regular' strength

too bad there's no way to un-equip an Aug...I regret upgrading to the 'see through walls' Aug as it's pretty much useless so far...and even more annoying is that it enables this new interface on the right side of the screen which cannot be removed...terrible placement on the screen

I love see through walls, but then again I'm playing a stealth character. It lets me plan my moves better.

I love see through walls, but then again I'm playing a stealth character. It lets me plan my moves better.

the 'see through walls' Aug is really not much better then using the mini-radar on the bottom left of the screen...I mainly purchased it thinking that I would be able to see hidden areas like in Batman Arkham Asylum (maybe I can but have not used it much)

I use the see through walls aug a little bit. I think I could have lived without it, (the cone of vision aug for the radar is a little more useful.) However, I have made some good use of the STW aug on a few occasions. I find it's a little better when you're planning a multiple take-down, rather than when you're just planning a silent route through a room.

I found something kinda funny, spoiler below toward beginning of game, concerning the hostages in the room.

I’m playing Deus Ex again, from the beginning, you know those group of hostages toward the beginning, that you have to save in that room with the bomb? I found a quicker way to diffuse the situation. I went ahead and rushed into the room, the bomb is on a timer, so I shot the two sides of it, where the canisters are with the gas, and the bomb shuts down :p Funny, the first time I did this I killed them all by accident, the second time, I hacked the bomb, but the third time I just rushed it and shot the canisters out, and that worked lol that’s way more quicker haha.

I love how there are so many different ways to accomplish things in this game :)

I found something kinda funny, spoiler below toward beginning of game, concerning the hostages in the room.

I’m playing Deus Ex again, from the beginning, you know those group of hostages toward the beginning, that you have to save in that room with the bomb? I found a quicker way to diffuse the situation. I went ahead and rushed into the room, the bomb is on a timer, so I shot the two sides of it, where the canisters are with the gas, and the bomb shuts down :p Funny, the first time I did this I killed them all by accident, the second time, I hacked the bomb, but the third time I just rushed it and shot the canisters out, and that worked lol that’s way more quicker haha.

I love how there are so many different ways to accomplish things in this game :)

Huh. I didn't know you could do that, either.

I love this game!

I took the higher jump aug early on and it lets me bound straight over a lot of the paths that these objects block, it opens up a lot of the map because there's loads of objects protruding from buildings that you can scale if you've got good air control.

I was going stealth through the whole thing with silent takedowns and the dart gun, but I found a bunch of upgrades for the pistol and now that thing is like +dmg +silencer +ammo +laser and I just go around like I'm Sam Fisher assassinating with single headshots. it has a real ninja feel to it because with the higher jump you can get into the rafters and higher areas of the more open maps and stalk people, very cool.

I took the higher jump aug early on and it lets me bound straight over a lot of the paths that these objects block, it opens up a lot of the map because there's loads of objects protruding from buildings that you can scale if you've got good air control.

I was going stealth through the whole thing with silent takedowns and the dart gun, but I found a bunch of upgrades for the pistol and now that thing is like +dmg +silencer +ammo +laser and I just go around like I'm Sam Fisher assassinating with single headshots. it has a real ninja feel to it because with the higher jump you can get into the rafters and higher areas of the more open maps and stalk people, very cool.

That's how I play, too. It's Fisher/Agent 47 time with a nice mix of sneak and mostly lethal takedowns. Some of the most satisfying gameplay of its kind that I've seen in recent memory along those lines.

If you want something kind of like it I can recommend Splinter Cell Conviction easily to anyone who hasn't played it. It's cheap and I think that DRM was mostly patched.

I'm not saying it's as good as this although I think it was an underrated and overlooked game in general but if you want more of that feeling of what you're doing here in DX:H, I can easily recommend it to everyone.

I totally agree about SC: Conviction. Extremely underrated game that can be found very cheaply now.

well finished the game.

it was fun I guess. 3rd boss was the hardest and the 4th boss was extremely ez.

is there a timer that tells you how long you have been playing?...all I see in my 'Load' folder is the time I last played (meaning 3:00 PM etc) and not the total game time...I started a new game a few hours in and Steam only calculates total time played and does not differentiate between different playthroughs

It's true. Silenced 10mm with a laser is a deadly weapon. Too useful to ignore.

I had the 10mm throughout the entire game. One shot kills then sneak around and knock the other guy out in groups of 2-3.

I missed some side quests in the game.

I went all lethal. Going to play through again.

is there a timer that tells you how long you have been playing?...all I see in my 'Load' folder is the time I last played (meaning 3:00 PM etc) and not the total game time...I started a new game a few hours in and Steam only calculates total time played and does not differentiate between different playthroughs

I was wondering this too... is there an actual time-played counter for a particular game?

I don't know how y'all do it, but I just left Detroit for the first time (not to china, but to that other side mission place)... and i'm at 42 hours played....

Last edited:
I was wondering this too... is there an actual time-played counter for a particular game?

I don't know how y'all do it, but I just left Detroit for the first time (not to china, but to that other side mission place)... and i'm at 42 hours played....

Let me guess, 30 of those hours were spent trying to get the basketball in the hoop by where the drug dealers hang out?

The final boss was easier than that if you talked your way to a major clue from

Hugh Darrow. If you convince him that his stance is wrong, he gives you the code to disable the turrets altogether. The code is fitting, by the way, seeing as how this device you're destroying is going to bring the end of the world as we know it... (/clue mode off)

Funny you mention that. I DID talk him down, and then promptly forgot to look at the info he gave me. If you remove the turrets, that level is just stupidly easy...

Point point on the assault rifle being a gimpy POS still stands though :)

Let me guess, 30 of those hours were spent trying to get the basketball in the hoop by where the drug dealers hang out?

Can you actually get it through the hoop? I thought I was the only one who tried it. I spent 5 minutes before giving up.

Back