Official Deus Ex: Human Revolution thread

I have found no real problem so far.

I'm a little disappointed that my TriFire gives me only 45-50 FPS in EF with everything turned on. I have not looked at GPU useage yet but I'm betting Crossfire is not 100% utilized here.

I'm wondering what I can selectively sacrifice to get better framerate and not degrade the graphics too much.

The game is pretty to look at.:D

did you try the CAP2 (updated application profiles) from AMD? They supposedly improve crossfire performance for Deus Ex.

I can hardly live without vsync too. Screen tearing is incredibly distracting to me.

I never use vsync anymore. Haven't since getting this monitor. Haven't had a single problem with screen tearing since doing so.

Screen tearing on this game is bad than most game I've played. I usually dont like to enable Vsync/triple buffering and I might have to this time to play this game. Otherwise, the game is great.

^^ i thought he sounded quite similar. It's obvious not the same voice, but the tone and feel is almost identical.

anybody else playing with a GTX460 768MB at 1900x1200? I'm seeing occasional slowdowns that I'm guessing are due to a lack of VRAM

also, I thought we could put things in the SPOILER tags to hide them?

test

Last edited:
Is anyone else unable to alter their FOV settings using eyefinity? I've got a 5770 running this on 3 24" monitors but I can't stand the way my two outside monitors look when moving and I can't change the FOV like I could in HL2 to correct for the effect. Is that the case for everyone else? I can modify FOV when playing on one monitor though.

Also, how are you guys building out your characters? I'm going for pure stealth and hacking. I'm not very far into the game (just did the Detroit Police Department quests) but my guy can hack level 3 systems and silently run. Nearly all my weapon mods (silencer, laser sight, increased damage) are in my 10mm pistol (accuracy mod on my dart gun) and I'm loving playing this way. Normally I kind of hate stealth style, but this game has made it way more fun. And I love the take-downs :). My favorite moment so far was darting one guard, then silently running up and disabling another guard... and then shooting him in the head once he was down.

So far so good. I'd echo a few of the complaints and issues people have brought up.

• Load times - what the hell is this 15-20 load time bullcrap on an SSD? This really needs to be looked at - the loss of immersion is a hefty price, and since I am playing it on the hardest difficulty and die in 3 shots, I will end up loading fairly often. I doubt it would change much if I set up a RAM drive for it. Either way, this needs to be fixed.
  • Mouse lag/floatiness - I've noticed this in other games, but it seems really noticeable here (in fact, I find it difficult to believe someone could be oblivious to it). It's difficult to play because of it. I would not say that I'm a big arena shooter fan, but I can instantly tell when the mouse movement is off. I am not sure if there is a video setting or some other setting causing this, but this also needs to be addressed.
  • Cutscenes - Render these in game, not this pre-rendered crap. Kills the eyefinity/3D vision effect for the duration and just does not make for a good transition.
  • Item Highlighting/locators: I know the menu option exists to turn these off, and I am playing with them off, however it also makes finding items of importance very difficult. Yeah, perhaps this one is more of a nitpick, but I think they did it well in the original game where any item that had any function to it would get bracketed when you looked at it. I suppose here, there is a "use" prompt, but I am thinking that there's a good balance to be found between having highlighting turned "On" and having your hand held, and then having it "off" and having to comb through each room looking for things.
That's it, and mostly it's just the first two that are the thorn in my side. The third is just annoying.

I played a bit on my bigscreen eyefinity setup last night and had a blast. It only crashed once while looking, and running fantastically (aside from aforementioned issues).

I also tried it on my 3D vision setup, and it also ran well and looked great. A few of the interface elements were a bit tougher to use with it on, and a few in-game entities had some issues, but other than that it worked well. I did not have to use the tickbox for Stereoscopic 3D in the setup menu, and could find no way to check that option anyway. Did not fool with any of the ingame settings for this either - I simply told the nVidia control panel to use 3D and it did. So I am not sure what issues people are having with getting this working...

Looking forward to playing more when I get home. :D

Now.... eyefinity or 3D.... eyefinity, or 3D... :confused:

Is anyone else unable to alter their FOV settings using eyefinity? I've got a 5770 running this on 3 24" monitors but I can't stand the way my two outside monitors look when moving and I can't change the FOV like I could in HL2 to correct for the effect. Is that the case for everyone else? I can modify FOV when playing on one monitor though.

Confirmed. When playing in eyefinity last night, I was unable to adjust the FOV.

Using one monitor allowed me to freely adjust it.

Last edited:
also, I thought we could put things in the SPOILER tags to hide them?

test

The spoiler tag is a big counter intuitive, which is why people might not figure it out (I don't think it is mentioned anywhere on the site how to use it), as you have to add a title with what you are spoiling for it to work.

]spoiler=[ [/spoiler]

Flip the brackets around.

This game is awesome so far! I've played around 5 hours so far and the city is amazing.

However, like many people have said, I feel like I've hit all the bugs on my rig (in sig)

I have all the latest updates but after about 1 hour of gameplay, game crashed. I tried restarting game, and it just dropped to desktop. I turned off dx11 and AA to edge and most things down but the game still stutters a little bit randomly on the 7200rpm western digital blue drive.

Load times are extremely long and I was about to rage quit if not for such an awesome game. I was playing this on the hardest difficulty so death comes quickly.

Cut scenes look pretty bad. I'm very disappointing in this =( and reading from earlier posts it might be due to compression.

I really hope that a patch comes out for these problems. my gtx560ti should be able to handle everything on. Still... I love this game.

Confirmed. When playing in eyefinity last night, I was unable to adjust the FOV.

Even still, after I adjusted it I don't think the FOV setting stayed when I started up my eyefinity setup. Kind of aggravating, although I'm just surprised a 5770 can even run this game on 3 monitors with a decent frame rate.

Cut scenes look pretty bad. I'm very disappointing in this =( and reading from earlier posts it might be due to compression.

It is a limitation of trying to fit the game into 1 DVD, probably also heavily influenced by the 360 and the extra licensing costs per DVD.

Mouse lag is usually a problem with vsync. I know source and ue3 allow you to limit the FPS, which is what fixes the problem. In source, for example, just set your max_fps to 59.9 (if your refresh rate is 60hz). This solves the mouse lag issue completely on any engine that gives you the problem.

The same issue is fixeable in gamebryo games (FO3, FONV, Oblivion), but the engine has no such setting, thus you need the stutter remover mod which gives you the option to limit the upper bound of how many frames are displayed. However, on those engines, you need to set the limit to 2 frames below your vsync rate, thus 58fps for 60hz, 73fps for 75hz, etc.

Now it's up to someone who has DX:HR to see if the engine has such setting in it, otherwise a third party solution is required.

That has absolutely nothing to do with DEX: HR. Even with Vsync off it still feels like shit, even in DX9 it's still there to some extent. This has been confirmed by plenty of people already who are sensitive to twitch game play. Vsync is definately off aswell because when you turn it off it tearing like hell which to be honest I can live with. What I can not live with is playing a game underwater. :(

[*]Item Highlighting/locators: I know the menu option exists to turn these off, and I am playing with them off, however it also makes finding items of importance very difficult. Yeah, perhaps this one is more of a nitpick, but I think they did it well in the original game where any item that had any function to it would get bracketed when you looked at it. I suppose here, there is a "use" prompt, but I am thinking that there's a good balance to be found between having highlighting turned "On" and having your hand held, and then having it "off" and having to comb through each room looking for things.
[/LIST]

I wonder if this was a design decision they had to make. Like, either have all the object interactable (like deus ex), but at the cost of having fewer items (making the environments perhaps more bland), or have very heavy item-populated areas, but at the cost of many non-interactable objects.

How demanding on computers would it be to have the same amount of items they currently do, but have them all interactable? I miss picking up cigarettes and damaging my health with them. I also really miss the health system--stupid HP regen of today i swear...

Anyone know if there are going to be people modding this game to do stuff like the above?

Or like a mod to remove the red screen of near-death?

Also, i'm not very far into the game, but i'm confused. I can't figure out how to spend the skill points i'm getting into say, computer hacking, or heavy weapons etc. I think i've leveled up at least once...

thanks!

Last edited:
The spoiler tag is a big counter intuitive, which is why people might not figure it out (I don't think it is mentioned anywhere on the site how to use it), as you have to add a title with what you are spoiling for it to work.

]spoiler=[ [/spoiler]

Flip the brackets around.

spoiler

You need to do it as
PHP:
[spoiler=blah]spoiler[/spoiler]

I wonder if this was a design decision they had to make. Like, either have all the object interactable (like deus ex), but at the cost of having fewer items (making the environments perhaps more bland), or have very heavy item-populated areas, but at the cost of many non-interactable objects.

How demanding on computers would it be to have the same amount of items they currently do, but have them all interactable? I miss picking up cigarettes and damaging my health with them. I also really miss the health system--stupid HP regen of today i swear...

Anyone know if there are going to be people modding this game to do stuff like the above?

Or like a mod to remove the red screen of near-death?

Also, i'm not very far into the game, but i'm confused. I can't figure out how to spend the skill points i'm getting into say, computer hacking, or heavy weapons etc. I think i've leveled up at least once...

thanks!

DX1 had good interactivity for its time, but it wasn't cluttered with items as some of you might be thinking. I just played it prior to DXHR's release, and the environment is quite sparse by comparison. The clutter is actually a good design choice related to game play, it basically makes you look for the important items amid the noise.

Also the item high lighting does work kind of like DX1, although the range is greater. It doesn't actually highlight everything in view, only when it is somewhat centered on your screen and nearby, similar to how the item outlines worked in DX1.

With currently what we have, you'd likely need a dedicated GPU for physics acceleration if you literally want all the clutter in DXHR to be interactable to the degree I think you are talking about.

There is no SDK, but fans managed to do their own modding of the previous Tomb Raider games using this engine. At this point I wouldn't know if anything was specifically in place (like encryption) to prevent modding.

Open your menus, such as pressing I or tab (I can't remember the default for the aug screen) and press the "dna" looking type icon on the top left. That opens the augmentation screen, should be straight forward in terms of what to click from there.

spoiler

You need to do it as
PHP:
[spoiler=blah]spoiler[/spoiler]

Oh so PHP code lets you type it, I tried using the CODE tag, but it didn't work. You don't actually need anything after the = btw.

I just got into the police station quests and such.

So far I really do feel like this game is incredible and it is definitely Deus Ex.

I had the floaty feeling with my mouse but turned off vsync and frame buffering and it went away.

So far the game hasn't left a good impression. Crashes during cut scenes, can't bind the enter key, and the post processing is ugly. It needs patched.

Thanks for your help, limitedaccess.

I reckon i'd use the item highlight feature if it had further options to make it never show ladders, doors, etc.

I also found what you were talking about. I'd written off the augmentations screen because I though "oh those are for when i find a canister" but completely missed the fact that many augmentations have sub-augmentations which have taken the place of spending skill points, functionally speaking.

Someone tell me, near the start of the game, when you first get to work,

you get back to the office, the guy asks you to come to his office soon because of an event that needs taking care off. However you're open to exploring around, going to your own office and others. If you spend too much time the situation the guy wanted to see you about gets "Worse" and he tells you to meet him on the helipad

Now what I'm wondering is, What changes if it gets "Worse" because you are too late? and also, if you go straight to him, what will you miss out on? are there side missions you'd miss if you don't explore?

you get back to the office, the guy asks you to come to his office soon because of an event that needs taking care off. However you're open to exploring around, going to your own office and others. If you spend too much time the situation the guy wanted to see you about gets "Worse" and he tells you to meet him on the helipad

Now what I'm wondering is, What changes if it gets "Worse" because you are too late? and also, if you go straight to him, what will you miss out on? are there side missions you'd miss if you don't explore?

Basically, if you get there fast enough, the hostages will still be alive and you can rescue them. There isn't much sidequest stuff that you can't come back to afterwards in the office. Most of the stuff you'll be doing in there will be hacking into people's offices and going through vents to steal their shit. It's worth getting to the helipad faster to be able to save the hostages.

Does anyone know how to force a FOV setting via editing a config file or something of that sort? I want to play on my eyefinity setup but the FOV at 75 is making me sick.

if you wait too long, you'll be told enroute that the terrorists killed the hostages. This changes people's reactions to you in dialogue later on. The only practical difference I think is you can't get a discount at a weapons dealer later, not a huge deal though.

In terms of what you can find, I think you only have dialogue you'd be missing out if you explored. The receptionist has some dialogue. Make sure you talk to the two guys behind the stairs on the first floor for instance. I don't remember if the the secretary says anything to you if you up to Sarif's office then.

Basically, if you get there fast enough, the hostages will still be alive and you can rescue them. There isn't much sidequest stuff that you can't come back to afterwards in the office. Most of the stuff you'll be doing in there will be hacking into people's offices and going through vents to steal their shit. It's worth getting to the helipad faster to be able to save the hostages.

i let the hostages die, the large colored woman was terribly upset her husband died :(

i'm quite pleased this game lets you fail things and influence the outcome. As others have stated, i can't wait to do things differently on my second play through already!

lol one funny event:

If you go into the womans bathroom before seeing Pritchard (two women in there talking about you) he'll comment that he knows you went through changes but you're still a guy, so stop going into the womans bathroom

i let the hostages die, the large colored woman was terribly upset her husband died :(

i'm quite pleased this game lets you fail things and influence the outcome. As others have stated, i can't wait to do things differently on my second play through already!

It isn't just story choices either, for instances how you do things affects the world. The non lethal approach is actually expanded on quite a bit in DXHR compared to DX1, where it stopped being referenced after the early game.

For instance when you go to the plant, whether you go lethal or not. What you do with the leader, kill him, knock him out, let him go and etc. all affect how people talk to you.

lol one funny event:

If you go into the womans bathroom before seeing Pritchard (two women in there talking about you) he'll comment that he knows you went through changes but you're still a guy, so stop going into the womans bathroom

It is a nice reference to a DX1 joke as well :p

Not really. They've just taken the easy way out and cooked a lot of "items" into the static level geometry looks like (not getting hands-on until friday).

Not really. They've just taken the easy way out and cooked a lot of "items" into the static level geometry looks like (not getting hands-on until friday).

yea it's a friggin shame.

every single one of those paint cans strewn around should be able to be thrown against walls plastering them with whatever color paint was in the can.

things like this, which arguably do nothing for the gameplay, add a lot to the gameplay. in my humble opinion ^_^

I wonder how soon a patch will be for the load times and everything else.

Yes, my son uses one monitor and can adjust FOV.

In EF I cannot and sure would love to find out how.

#122 Today, 12:13 PM
Andrmgic Gawd, 5.8 Years Status:

did you try the CAP2 (updated application profiles) from AMD? They supposedly improve crossfire performance for Deus Ex.

I'm using Cat 11.8 and the most up to date CAPs so I'm not sure what the deal is......maybe that's just all I get with everything turned up to the maximum?

What FOV are you guys all using? I have played around a bit but keep going back to 75.

Back