*** Official Catalyst 4.6 Thread ***

Improvements in OpenGL driver efficiency bring numerous small gains (1-3%) in Call of Duty, Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory, Star Trek - Elite Force II, Serious Sam, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Quake III Arena.

I like that part....time to see how opengl games run now :p <lets just hope they aren't broken lol>

DASHlT

These drivers are great. Increase my 3dMark03 from 10397 to 11140 with my X800Pro!

Im glad to hear that they fixed the problems from 4.5's. I'm just downloading them, will install and test them out later and then I will post my reamarks.

awesome... just installed them, i wonder if it gives 9800pro improvments...
and when are they going to have a new interface??

*SUPER DUPER WIERD THINGY*
So I uninstall all my old catalyst drivers, and then I installed the new one following the FAQ in video forum. When I come back and get everything running, I notice my google toolbar is missing :confused:

wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-02-040515a-015958c

major slowdown on everything windows and games with a 9600 pro on an a7n8x delux mobo and fully updated win2k. i need to wipe these from my system. :(

Wow, just installed these and ran rthdribl, before it usually ran around 40fps, now it is runnning the the low-mid 50s.

Installed the 4.6s and tested on Thief 3. Awful, is the only word I can come up with. Frame rates stagnated, runing in the single digits, whereas the 4.4s were running the game smoothly. Needless to say, I switched back to the 4.4s, and all is well again.

Speed bumps in games that I play, Thief 3 just has problems (don't think it's just drivers) 4.6 are keepers for me...

installed these and simply browsing the web using my scroller to scroll would lag... weird, went back to 4.5 and it's not doing it...

Nice improvement is speed with games i play like KOTOR and NWN (Both OpenGL games. Very Pleased with them. I was told that they improve Deus Ex 2 performace, i'll have to try it when i get home

Well I went from Omega's 3.7's and tried out these new driver set. I've always had problems with all the other drivers. I figured I'd give these a whirl , my 3dmark01 score dropped 500pts Aquamark went down 2k , 3dmark03 went up 200pts. Though these really don't mean much to me just used as reference. The thing that has me liking this set is the results from benchemall, benching Farcry as seen below.

(Note these settings were run on my config which is all settings on Medium with 2AA and 4AF)

Omega's 3.7s

1024x768
run# 0: Average FPS: 49.65
run# 1: Average FPS: 59.87

1280x1024
run# 0: Average FPS: 39.40
run# 1: Average FPS: 43.25

ATI's 4.6

1024x768
run# 0: Average FPS: 65.28
run# 1: Average FPS: 67.17

1280x1024
run# 0: Average FPS: 51.86
run# 1: Average FPS: 52.93

As you can see a very very nice performance jump :D I'm very please with this set heh , first time in a long time I've been able to say that. Great work ATI

MeXPuNk3r said:
installed these and simply browsing the web using my scroller to scroll would lag... weird, went back to 4.5 and it's not doing it...

Make sure you remove the old drivers before installing the new ones. As a long time nVidia user I never had to do this until I switched to ATI. I found just tryng to upgrade the drivers was unreliable and would do as you are saying.

The 4.6's are doing ok for me. Nothing to report yet, tho all I've done is 3DMark2001 (up 120 points) and Final Fantasy XI (no problems).

Noticeable improvement in FarCry, and UT2k4. Much better than the 4.5's. (Steadies himself the the slamming), Improvement in CS with then imfamous drops in fps in aztec, and maps with the iceworld.wad. Granted, still there, but improved. Nice work guys.

Now I just wait for the Omega's. :D

That's strange -

I've had better results simply running the CAT setup and installing the new drivers as opposed to removing the old drivers first. Same holds true for the Nvidia drivers that I've dealt with on other systems. Just my opinion, however...

i wish they would fix the problem with OpenGL, and having AA turned on in Tribes2 (menu screens go all black except around the cursor)

Yes, I understand its a 3 year old game, but we still play it dammit! :mad:
And Im still pissed off about the other nvidia drivers allowing people to see cloakers

Introduced a new bug with KOTOR. During map transitions it crashes to desktop, not all but about 1/4 of the time.

Got these, and I was intially happy to see it fixed an odd problem I as having in Far Cry, but then I ran Passmark and my scores got cut in half. I reinalled the drivers and this time they went up conciderably. I don't know what happened there, but I am very pleased with these drivers

FiZ said:
Introduced a new bug with KOTOR. During map transitions it crashes to desktop, not all but about 1/4 of the time.
I experience this as well.

HyperTension said:
Noticeable improvement in FarCry, and UT2k4. Much better than the 4.5's. (Steadies himself the the slamming), Improvement in CS with then imfamous drops in fps in aztec, and maps with the iceworld.wad. Granted, still there, but improved. Nice work guys.

Now I just wait for the Omega's. :D

Why Install second rate drivers and get 3 extra FPS?

Take 50mg's of Attenolol and call it a day :p

Just to get my input in this Catalyst 4.6 thread:

Though I had used the Catalyst 4.6 drivers on my previous AMD Athlon XP 2600+ rig, I had never bothered to run 3DMark 2001SE or 3DMark 03 on that rig with those drivers. I had previously run those tests on that very same rig - but with the slightly older Catalyst 4.4 drivers. That rig delivered only a 15193 score on 3DMark 2001SE, and just 5557 on 3DMark 03 (everything at stock clocks). But recently, I replaced both the AMD processor (which could not overclock to anything worth crap) and the motherboard with an Intel 2.8C P4 and an Intel D865PERL motherboard (with onboard SATA RAID, 10/100 NIC and IEEE1394a). I ran the 3DMark tests with the Catalyst 4.6 drivers on my current Intel-based system (with everything at stock clocks). I was shocked when I became the first non-overclocked 2.8C setup with a non-overclocked 9800Pro on an Intel-brand motherboard to break the 17K barrier (17059 to be precise) on 3DMark 2001SE with a driver version higher (later) than the 3.10 Catalysts. (Sure, there are some stock P4/2.8C systems with 4.1 or higher Cats that scored higher than my system on 3DMark 2001SE - but none of those systems are based on Intel-brand motherboards. And quite a few of the other systems with the same processor and motherboard as mine scored 16K or even lower on that test, even with older Catalyst drivers!) :eek: And my 5946 score on 3DMark 03 is nearly as good as a system with a non-overclocked 2.8GHz CPU and a non-overclocked GPU is going to get (and again, I've found three published stock-speed 2.8C's that scored higher - but they all use non-Intel-brand motherboards); all of the other "2800MHz" systems that scored higher than my rig all overclocked their GPUs and/or their graphics memory!

I have not had any issues with any ATI drivers for the last year (if I dont count the CS issues) very happy with performance and reliability. No crashing, no artifacts, no compatibility problems. I don't play a ton of games but I do check out a lot of demos. Right now I am playing mostly CS, UT2004, COD, Far Cry, NFSU, BF 1942 and BFVN...no trouble here (-: Running all games at 1600X1200 and loving it.

9800PRO, AMD 2500 @ 2400MHZ, 512 of Kingston 3200, IBM P275, WINXP PRO SP1...

Back