Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

my one has a weird issue where if I disconnect the dvi cable then reconnect it the monitor does not recognise its connected again.

I may wait a couple of weeks then return it to get this 'new firmware version' of it exists

Foolfighter said:
Why?

It was not advertised in the spec when you purchased the monitor in the first place....

Actually, their press release found here states:

With 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA) high resolution, BenQ FP241W is able to display more content while delivering crisp refined images and legible text and ensures no image distortion or cropping occurs.

Without 1:1 pixel mapping there is no way this screen displays "no image distortion".

I also logged a case on their web site to get something in writing. I got the following:

Hi

There is a firmware update being released for the monitor in approx mid December but at this stage there is no set procedure for updating customers with the older revision to get an update.

There will be more information in regards to this when the update has been released. This type of update will not be able to be done by end users though.

Regards

BenQ Technical Support

I've responded with the following:

Thanks for your reply.

I need to purchase a screen this month.

Could I get the new firmware if I were to log a warranty call once the new firmware is released and take my screen to a Benq service centre to get it upgraded?

That's encouraging news. Hopefully, it will fix 4:3 modes as well. I don't understand why they released a monitor with such a blatant problem in the first place.

Well it sounds like we will have to ship them the whole thing to get the update, but I will definitely be sending it in as soon as I find out that the update has been released. I guess it is a good thing that I saved the box, I was just about to throw it out. This also means that I am going to have to go back to my old screen for awhile (cheapo sceptre 17")....once you get used to a large wide screen everything else seems so lame.

I love my FP241W though, and if I can upgrade it later then I will only enjoy it more.

Foolfighter said:
my one has a weird issue where if I disconnect the dvi cable then reconnect it the monitor does not recognise its connected again.

I may wait a couple of weeks then return it to get this 'new firmware version' of it exists

Sounds to me you have an ATI video card. That's your problem not the monitor.

Foolfighter said:

ASIA911 said:
Sounds to me you have an ATI video card. That's your problem not the monitor.

I have this issue too. Whenenever I'm checking inputs, disconnecting and reconnecting (all while the panel is off, mind you) when I reconnect it says "No Input Signal Detected." The only way I can get it to recognize is if I restart. Not the biggest deal, but pretty irritating.

And I have an ATI card, so maybe that's it.

[omen] said:
I have this issue too. Whenenever I'm checking inputs, disconnecting and reconnecting (all while the panel is off, mind you) when I reconnect it says "No Input Signal Detected." The only way I can get it to recognize is if I restart. Not the biggest deal, but pretty irritating.

And I have an ATI card, so maybe that's it.

You people need to make sure you have the latest and proper driver for your ATI card to see if that will solve your problem or else if it doesn't, you'll need to let the ATI tech know about the DVI issue for them to fix up the driver issue. ATI are pretty crappy when come to making drivers so that's why I'll never buy another ATI product.

Well, it's nice to hear about the possibility of a firmware update. I will hold off on sending mine in for the whine I mentioned until we know about that. My screen also has the power button "issue" where it sometimes takes a few presses to power on.

I got a reply from BenQ after my questions in my previous post found here:

Hi

At this point there is not set procedure of updating the firmware on current revisions of this monitor. When the firmware is released in mid December please give us a call we should have something in place then and will be able to assist you.

Regards

BenQ Technical Support

I then rang BenQ locally (Australia) again and the person I spoke to said they would contact the local product manager and get back to me with something more firm.

They called back about 15 minutes later and said that they will preform the upgrade under warranty if I take it to a service centre once it is available.

He was even willing to provide his name as a reference (which I won't post here in public) if there were any issues at the time.

Once the firmware fix come out in mid-December as they are claiming, how will we as buyers be able to ensure that we get an updated monitor when we order? For example, I'll probably be ordering from newegg, unless I find somewhere cheaper. Is BenQ going to recall the non-updated monitors from retailers and make sure that only updated ones are sold? I really want to buy one but don't really feel like going throught a warranty process...

Does anyone know where the Canadian (Ontario if possible), service centers are located? I looked over and all I could find were reseller addresses. I guess I'll call BenQ Canada tomorrow.

I took the plung and bought one today.

The picture is outstanding however I have a question to those who have used it with a 360.

For some reason, when I set the Xbox to dsiplay 1080p (using the VGA cable) the Benq says it's dsiplaying 1680x1050 in the information screen of the BenQ menu.

Anyone else get this? What am I doing wrong?

keep us all updated as to the aspect ratio refresh. i'm seriously hoping itll keep it 1:1 for not only 16:9 but also 4:3 inputs... if they do, i think i may finally have a winner

rabhw said:
Does anyone know where the Canadian (Ontario if possible), service centers are located? I looked over and all I could find were reseller addresses. I guess I'll call BenQ Canada tomorrow.

I think it's in Richmond.

Products BenQ
Service Center Name SERVNET
Service Center Address 50 West Wilmot st. Unit #7, R.H. Ontario, L4B 1M5
Phone Number (905)771-0882

OK, here is my train of thought:

1) I have a 17" TFT, that was one of the first 17" TFTs in the UK
2) I have an Athlon XP 3200 with a Radeon 9700
3) I have 1GB 3200 RAM
This all leads me to:
4) I'm bored and haven't played a fun game in yonks
5) I'm going to upgrade:

CPU: Intel E6700
Mobo: eVGA 680i
RAM: 2GB 1066Mhz PC8500 Corsair TwinX
GPU: 8800GTX 768MB nVidia

6) Ooooh I'm EXCITED!!! Let's splash out on a big screen to play stuff on!!
7) BUT...

TFT: :confused:

(change at station onto new train)

1) Ooh I've found Dell 2407wfp for £586 Incl. (VAT)
2) Oh, wait, although everything raves about how good that screen is, everything raves about how better this lovely, shiny BenQ FP241W is so maybe I should go for that
3) Oh, wait, that doesn't have 1:1 pixel mapping... WTF?!
4) Oh, wait, BenQ are releasing a patch! w00t!!
5) But that will be at least a month away, at the very earliest :(
6) But wait, I could get the BenQ and get warranty firmware upgrade when it's fixed! w00t!!
7) But that might mean sending it back and being without it for 2-3 weeks :( Hassle!
8) But wait, I could just drive it to a service centre!!
9) Oh, wait, where the eff is a BenQ service centre in the UK?!
10) Hmmm the Dell doesn't have any serious flaws....
11) Nah, sod it, I'll just take the plunge and get the FP241W!!
12) Oh, wait..... FP241WZ????
13) When the eff will that be released?!!

At this point the train either crashes or runs out of fuel. Or there's some kind of signalling failure. Bloody City Thameslink...

[omen] said:
Well, to partly answer my own damn question about the banding I'm experiencing - I figured out it's not the monitor.

I hooked up my old CRT and the banding showed up there as well. This was with a different VGA cable (as opposed to the DVI-D I am using on the BenQ), so I know it's not my cable either.

So... this leads me conclude that either the banding is embedded into these gradient patterns themselves, or my graphics card is shot.

My card is almost 4 years old, and I have heard of heat affecting them, so maybe that's it.

It would be cool though, if any one of you guys who own the BenQ could just check out these patterns and see you see banding with them. If you don't, then I know it's my card and not the pattern.

Here's the link again (check Row 2 for banding):

http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/1080p_tests

Thanks.

This may be a bit late.
LCD Test Grey Scale Step 8 1080p.JPG
LCD Test Green Scale Step 8 1080p.JPG
LCD Test Blue Scale Step 8 1080p.JPG
LCD Test Red Scale Step 8 1080p.JPG

I see banding, very skiny virtical lines. And I know my videocard is fine. So its the source not the hardware. Using a superscan 813 hitachi crt.

You think 1:1 would of made the monitor cheaper. It takes logic to scale an image. So some kind of chip or software must be in the monitor that scales it. Since this chip or what not should be able to scale 1:1 as well. So for them to fix it sounds to like changing something in the code to scale 1:1 instead.

I'm going to wait on this 1:1 cause they'll be a time when I want to use the monitor for something else and that 1:1 feature will be nice.

Hopefully if they do have a 1:1 it will have a new model number or something that you can use to be sure that you got the right one.

Galvin said:
This may be a bit late.
LCD Test Grey Scale Step 8 1080p.JPG
LCD Test Green Scale Step 8 1080p.JPG
LCD Test Blue Scale Step 8 1080p.JPG
LCD Test Red Scale Step 8 1080p.JPG

I see banding, very skiny virtical lines. And I know my videocard is fine. So its the source not the hardware. Using a superscan 813 hitachi crt.

Yep, you are right Galvin, the image source is BAD !! And on the side the guy is saying :
NOTE: Quick Test Only: Images are saved as jpg, which may introduce very small color artifacts.
:eek: :mad:

Of course you will see banding if the image is compressed !!! :p

joshley said:
OK, here is my train of thought:

1) I have a 17" TFT, that was one of the first 17" TFTs in the UK
2) I have an Athlon XP 3200 with a Radeon 9700
3) I have 1GB 3200 RAM
This all leads me to:
4) I'm bored and haven't played a fun game in yonks
5) I'm going to upgrade:

CPU: Intel E6700
Mobo: eVGA 680i
RAM: 2GB 1066Mhz PC8500 Corsair TwinX
GPU: 8800GTX 768MB nVidia

6) Ooooh I'm EXCITED!!! Let's splash out on a big screen to play stuff on!!
7) BUT...

TFT: :confused:

(change at station onto new train)...

At this point the train either crashes or runs out of fuel. Or there's some kind of signalling failure. Bloody City Thameslink...

thats hilarious, because its EXACTLY what i'm doing. I"m also getting a e6700 conroe with a 680i mobo, and a Geforce 8800 GTX. This thing was supposed to be the monitor of choice, but i think i'm going to wait for the refresh to come out. I really dont feel like having to pack it back up and send it off for 3 weeks when i could just wait 3-4 weeks now instead. and i think the non-z model is good enough that i'll pass on the new tech, save up some money in the process. hopefully itll be out soon...

dMb said:
thats hilarious, because its EXACTLY what i'm doing. I"m also getting a e6700 conroe with a 680i mobo, and a Geforce 8800 GTX. This thing was supposed to be the monitor of choice, but i think i'm going to wait for the refresh to come out. I really dont feel like having to pack it back up and send it off for 3 weeks when i could just wait 3-4 weeks now instead. and i think the non-z model is good enough that i'll pass on the new tech, save up some money in the process. hopefully itll be out soon...

:D I thought I wouldn't be the only one with such a thought pattern running through their head! Yes, I too was of the school of thought that I will be very happy with the non-Z version and not bother waiting for it But waiting for 1:1 fix refresh model to come out inherently means waiting for the Z version also, so I may just get the Z version when it arrives.

Also, I know they've said the Z one won't have 1:1 pixel mapping, but I can't imagine they'd release a "top" model at the same time as an update for the next one down without incorporating thst update into the "top" one (the Z). So fingers crossed the Z will indeed have 1:1.. we'll have to wait and see!

Argh! I just want to buy it all now!!! :(

p.s. good spec choice :D

joshley said:
1) Ooh I've found Dell 2407wfp for £586 Incl. (VAT)
2) Oh, wait, although everything raves about how good that screen is, everything raves about how better this lovely, shiny BenQ FP241W is so maybe I should go for that
3) Oh, wait, that doesn't have 1:1 pixel mapping... WTF?!
4) Oh, wait, BenQ are releasing a patch! w00t!!
5) But that will be at least a month away, at the very earliest :(
6) But wait, I could get the BenQ and get warranty firmware upgrade when it's fixed! w00t!!
7) But that might mean sending it back and being without it for 2-3 weeks :( Hassle!
8) But wait, I could just drive it to a service centre!!
9) Oh, wait, where the eff is a BenQ service centre in the UK?!
10) Hmmm the Dell doesn't have any serious flaws....
11) Nah, sod it, I'll just take the plunge and get the FP241W!!
12) Oh, wait..... FP241WZ????

I'm having this sort of thought pattern as well, although I want the monitor mainly to watch movies on. But I've added a couple extra steps. Someone mentioned LG coming out with an S-IPS 24" (L245WP) monitor for a decent price and I thought maybe I should wait for that, because I'd like the better viewing angles of S-IPS. But then I was worried about the quality of LG monitors. Then people started talking about the new NEC LCD2490, also S-IPS, but a new very high quality S-IPS panel. And the NECs are supposed to be great monitors. Hmm. Should I wait for that? Brain malfunction.

cb474 said:
I'm having this sort of thought pattern as well, although I want the monitor mainly to watch movies on. But I've added a couple extra steps. Someone mentioned LG coming out with an S-IPS 24" (L245WP) monitor for a decent price and I thought maybe I should wait for that, because I'd like the better viewing angles of S-IPS. But then I was worried about the quality of LG monitors. Then people started talking about the new NEC LCD2490, also S-IPS, but a new very high quality S-IPS panel. And the NECs are supposed to be great monitors. Hmm. Should I wait for that? Brain malfunction.

yep, i thought about that too. as nice as the NEC 24WMXG2 would be, its going to be too expensive i think. considering the 20 in version is already 600, i'm figuring the 24 will be at least 1000-1100, and that i dont want to pay. the LG would be nice too, but once again it might be a little more expensive. i'm sick of waiting however, so if nothing else is out by the time the BenQ refresh is out, then it looks like i'll be getting a BenQ (either z or non-z, we will see...) and i agree with joshley, if they are going to refresh the non-z with 1:1 pixel mapping, the z model will probably get it too. wouldnt make sense otherwise, but then again, it didnt make sense that they didnt do it in the first place. i intend to be watching a lot of movies with this thing, so it better be out soon..

I was going to wait too, but there will always be something newer, better, and shinier right around the corner so you could wait forever. Then one of my monitors died, forcing the issue so I ordered one today.

EvilRonin said:
I was going to wait too, but there will always be something newer, better, and shinier right around the corner so you could wait forever. Then one of my monitors died, forcing the issue so I ordered one today.

I do agree with you in that you can end up on the waiting path which essentially is just a small circle forever looping. But on the other hand, 24" TFTs with good HDMI support and at a 'reasonable' price have only just started to surface, and so far they all have one or two serious flaws.

In other words, I'm not waiting for the newer, better one just round the corner (unless the Z will be released like one week after the refresh, in which case I'll make an exception), I'm just going to buy the first 24" TFT that comes out that has the following characteristics:

1) Good panel (Dell was good, BenQ was excellent)
2) Good price (Dell and BenQ win here)
3) HD and HDCP support (Dell=flaky, BenQ=good)
4) No major flaws that hamper any core aspects of it's use (Dell=poor HD support and colour banding issues, BenQ=1:1 problem)

i don't even know who that is ... but ok.

i'll keep you updated when they come out in Europe. I thought to have seen 17 november in UK, so we'll see what happens...

joshley, cb474, dMb or anyone who may know:

the geforce 8800 supports HDCP over its two dual link DVI outputs, and i know the HDMI port on the FP241W/FP241WZ is HDCP compliant.

has it been confirmed that the DVI input on the FP241W/FP241WZ is also HDCP compliant like it is in the 244T? thanks

any graphics/photo people out there who have bought the benq? Im intressted in how the colorreproduction is and how it compares to the samsung 244t colors.

munz said:
joshley, cb474, dMb or anyone who may know:

the geforce 8800 supports HDCP over its two dual link DVI outputs, and i know the HDMI port on the FP241W/FP241WZ is HDCP compliant.

has it been confirmed that the DVI input on the FP241W/FP241WZ is also HDCP compliant like it is in the 244T? thanks

yeah i'm pretty sure the DVI is also HDCP compliant. when the monitor is considered to be compliant, I dont think it means just HDMI, it means that and HDCP input can be decoded. someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm almost positive that DVI is good too.

Does anyone have any further news on the firmware upgrade? I have emailed BenQ UK but no reply yet.
Are we saying the new firmware must be done by the manufacturer and is not possible once you have the monitor at home?
You would think BenQ would delay the UK release another few weeks so they could apply this new firmware before people buy them!!!

dazzbo said:
Does anyone have any further news on the firmware upgrade? I have emailed BenQ UK but no reply yet.
Are we saying the new firmware must be done by the manufacturer and is not possible once you have the monitor at home?
You would think BenQ would delay the UK release another few weeks so they could apply this new firmware before people buy them!!!

Not sure about the UK, but this post of mine explains what I will be doing in Australia.

overclockers.co.uk have now got it in stock.

Must...resist.....must.....

It's only £241 more for a Dell 3007WFP... any reason I should go for the FP241W over a lovely 30 inches of Dell??

Back