Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Only that it's possibly a bit too big. It's quite hard to work with unless you are sitting 4 feet away tbh. One of my friends has one and it is way overkill in his office.

Rocks with the Xbox though.

I was more depressed that you can get (an admittedly crap) 22" for £240 whereas the 24" benq was £740. Even with the extra features it can't cost *that* much more to make.

Well to try and get the thread back on track a little, here's my review, having owned it for a day now:

All in all it's an extremely good monitor. Picture is clear, text is crisp, image is stable. Colours are bright and vibrant and after calibration reasonably accurate in absolute terms (in relative terms they look good even with no calibration). Blacks are good for an LCD, at a sufficient brightness (about 30 of 100 on their control) the display resolves even low level black differences. Response time seems excellent. If there's ghosting, it's extremely hard to see. It seems to hit colours pretty fast and stable in motion as well, I don't notice colours washing out when the image on the screen moves. Movies look good, partially just the aspect ratio I'm sure. Compression artifacts, when present, are a little more evident than on my CRT but not much.

PIP is a neat feature and works just as you'd expect. You choose your input (when running off of DVI, HDMI, VGA or component, your only choices for PIP are S-video and composite) and where you want it displayed. If there's a signal present, it shows up on your screen. I hooked up a DVD player, and it worked just as you'd expect. Not sure it's all that useful, but perhaps when you are playing WoW, waiting for a raid to get doing :D.

One interesting feature is the sharpness feature. Wasn't quite sure what this was supposed to be. Well, it's some post processing, if you want it. At it's default level of 3 it does nothing that I can tell, there's a direct 1:1 mapping of what the computer asks to be displayed and what is displayed. At higher numbers it blurs everything a little bit, at lower levels it applies some artificial edge enhancement something like you get from consumer DV cameras. Both don't look bad, though I don't find them of any use.

The main downside in my opinion is that the monitor doesn't do dark very well. It's just a bright display. At the minimum brightness level it's somewhere around 130cd/m^2. However at that low a level, you'll find that low level colours don't show up, everything just kinda falls to black. You need to boost it to around 250-300cd/m^2 (about 30 on the brightness slider) to get them to show up. At full brightness it's over 450cd/m^2. The good news is that even if your room is very bright the monitor will shine through. The bad news is this is too bright for most people in a dark room. You are going to want a room that's reasonably well lit.

However, other than needing to be bright, the display is really nice. Widescreen gaming rules. You will, of course, want to have a video card that handles 1:1 scaling for you. I use a 7800 and it works great. Games that don't support widescreen are still great to play, the 4:3 area of the monitor is still huge.

All in all I'd recommend it provided you can deal with the lack of 1:1 (either because you don't care, because you only run at 1920x1200 or because you have a card that does it) and provided you are ok with working in a room with the lights on. It seems to be a very high quality monitor, that's quite suitable for gaming, including fast paced stuff.

Iratus said:
Only that it's possibly a bit too big. It's quite hard to work with unless you are sitting 4 feet away tbh. One of my friends has one and it is way overkill in his office.

Rocks with the Xbox though.

I was more depressed that you can get (an admittedly crap) 22" for £240 whereas the 24" benq was £740. Even with the extra features it can't cost *that* much more to make.

Yes, I was concerned with the fact that 22" is so much cheaper, but then you can get the Dell 2407WFP for £587, which is an excellent display, compared to an excellent 22" which will be about £300-£400, so it's not that much more expensive lol

I actually started a thread here to try to do a 30" versus 24" to see what people would say, and also before that a direct 30" versus 24" debate here. Feel free to vote on the polls!! The main point of the latter thread I mentioned was to guage whether people thought 30" was too big, because that was my concern. I will use it mostly for development, writing music and games, and it will be 2 feet away from me. Perhaps 24" will be better for me then? The price difference doesn't bother me too much, I just want what will be best, which may be the 24"?

Sycraft said:
Well to try and get the thread back on track a little, here's my review, having owned it for a day now:

Good review, interesting brightness issue you've pointed out. If I plan to use this monitor with the light switched off, is it going to just hurt my eyes? Is it really too bright? I often work in very low light just because I prefer it (helps the mood when writing music! And when wiping out evil things in Far Cry.. lol!), now I'm worried this will be ridiculously bright!

Depends on your eyes. You can turn it down as low as 130cd/m^2 or so which isn't all that bright. Only problem is at that level it doesn't do low level colours very well. For use on a desktop it's fine, it just doesn't work so well for games.

You may find that in games, since they aren't as bright white as a text display, that the brightness doesn't bother you. However be aware of it. Like I said, at least 250cd/m^2 to fully develop the low end colours and that's nothing to sneeze at (CRTs are usually around 90-100 for reference).

I find it too bright, but then I was used to a CRT at 75cd/m^2. So I turn on some lights, not a whole lot, my room is still pretty low light, just 2 50 watt bulbs for what is a rather large master bedroom but it's enough that I don't get bothered by the brightness. Personally, since my dark room has always annoyed me a bit, I've decided to go and get more light for it and just increase the brightness of my display.

The brightness is just something you need to be aware of. This monitor can get REALLY bright. Now that may not bother you, you may like having it so there's a bright point in your room and you can see nothing else, but it will be how it is. You'll find that if you turn the brightness all the way down and play games, you'll have to boost the game's gamma or brightness to not use the low level colours, which will of course wash out the appearance.

joshley said:
Yes, I was concerned with the fact that 22" is so much cheaper, but then you can get the Dell 2407WFP for £587, which is an excellent display, compared to an excellent 22" which will be about £300-£400, so it's not that much more expensive lol

I actually started a thread here to try to do a 30" versus 24" to see what people would say.

I'm curious.. why didn't you include the Dell 2407FPW in that poll? I mean, you obviously think enough of Dell to consider spending twice as much on them... why snub the 2407 and only consider the BenQ for 24"?

I'm asking because I can't make up my mind between all *3* :(

Sycraft said:
Depends on your eyes. You can turn it down as low as 130cd/m^2 or so which isn't all that bright. Only problem is at that level it doesn't do low level colours very well. For use on a desktop it's fine, it just doesn't work so well for games.

Thanks for your feedback Sycraft. I think I've set my heart on the Dell 3007WFP now, as it seems an awesome screen and I'm really worried about the brightness issues on the BenQ. As I said, games and desktop have high priority here, so that will have to be a serious consideration. It will be going in a not massive room, so the brightness I think would drive me nuts. I don't like monitors too bright at all and usually have them on lowest settings!

JYeager said:
I'm curious.. why didn't you include the Dell 2407FPW in that poll? I mean, you obviously think enough of Dell to consider spending twice as much on them... why snub the 2407 and only consider the BenQ for 24"?

I'm asking because I can't make up my mind between all *3* :(

Good question! My reasoning lies in the fact that to my understanding the BenQ WF241P is a superior TFT over the Dell 2407WFP, but the Dell won the 30" position in the poll because of it's low price per real estate. So it was the best affordable 24" versus the closest price-wise decent 30". But then again I may be wrong about the BenQ being superior!

One side question; on a dual monitor set up (at work I have 2x17") it is good for working because I can have one thing maximised in each screen. Is Windows capable of 'emulating' this when used at massive resolutions on big screens? Does anyone know any software that allows this if Windows doesn't?

Ok but be warned, the Dell is likely to have a similar problem. While it's maximum brightness isn't the same as the BenQ's it's in the same ballpark (400 vs 500). Also IPS panels aren't known for their great low level display, that's probably the primary problem with them.

I'd talk to someone who owns one and uses it for games, but I have a feeling that you'll need to set it to a fair bit of brightness as well, if you want all the low level detail. It's something to make sure and check on before you purchase. If you want a low brightness display with good low level colour, a CRT may be the thing you need to look at.

Make sure to check it out before you buy, you don't want to get something you hate. Also check it out because maybe I'm just overly whiny and sensitive. Maybe you decide that 200cd/m^2 is the minimum you like in a pitch black room and more is better. Just take it in to consideration before you buy. Also, if you see a panel that looks good in a store, remember that is lit up like Chinese New Year and thus the brightness is needed.

Sycraft said:
Ok but be warned, the Dell is likely to have a similar problem. While it's maximum brightness isn't the same as the BenQ's it's in the same ballpark (400 vs 500). Also IPS panels aren't known for their great low level display, that's probably the primary problem with them.

I'd talk to someone who owns one and uses it for games, but I have a feeling that you'll need to set it to a fair bit of brightness as well, if you want all the low level detail. It's something to make sure and check on before you purchase. If you want a low brightness display with good low level colour, a CRT may be the thing you need to look at.

Make sure to check it out before you buy, you don't want to get something you hate. Also check it out because maybe I'm just overly whiny and sensitive. Maybe you decide that 200cd/m^2 is the minimum you like in a pitch black room and more is better. Just take it in to consideration before you buy. Also, if you see a panel that looks good in a store, remember that is lit up like Chinese New Year and thus the brightness is needed.

You're very concerning, thanks! I think I could put up with the brightness, I don't want to go back to a CRT, they're just too bloody big! God I am so confused between the Dell 2407WFP, the FP241W, the FP241WZ and the FP241W refresh/firmware 1:1 fix.

On a side note, OcUK have put up their FP241W price from £669 to £728 :(

Hi guys,

i'm from Germany and consider to buy the FP241W Z in the USA. Can me anybody answer the question about the power connection.

After change the connector cable, will it work in Germany? We have 230V here.

Thank you

It should. The labeling on the back implies that it uses a variable input power supply that accepts a wide range of voltages and frequencies. I don't have any 240 volt connections available to test it on, however, so I can't personally confirm it, but the specifications imply it should function on essentially any power source in the world (100-240 volts 50-60 Hz is what's listed).

Flexarius said:
After change the connector cable, will it function in Germany? We have 230V here.
I think it will work. If you look here it seems like it uses a normal (kettle lead) PC power cord, so no transformer brick like a lot of screens. I know they don't make the power for many products different internationally any more so it's mostly likely that it auto switches internally. Don't quote me on that though ;). I doubt many people have tried this and I would recommend you not bother either, since it's due out here (Europe generally) soon anyway.

It's popping up on all kinds of websites in the Netherlands but only the FP241WZ which, as far as I know, is not out in the US either. Maybe we'll get that one before others do but I can't see the basic version available here (FP241W - witout 'BFI' tech). The FP241W is out in the UK though see here

Oh and by the way when I saw it appear on German websites first the FP241WZ seemed to be between 1200-1300 Euros but here in the Netherlands you can get it under a 1000 so maybe that's an option for you. I am going to pre-order mine tonight from here. It says 1-10 days expected stock date.

orderd mine yesterday,its funny tho,been following this thread since the start,and when i finaly order mine then someone comes with comment about brightness problems,typical hehe.

Flexarius said:
@artmonkey

the btw (tax) in holland is 19% and in germany 16%, is this a problem?
A very good question, I'm not really sure. I don't think you can get chraged Tax on something twice but check the customs regulations for Germany. Things like this should be easier in the EU.

I know when you buy from a Duty free zone in an airport you don't pay Tax on it when you get to wherever you're going but that's all a big joke as those prices are usually higher than with Tax anyway.

wow it took me a few hours to read the entire thread lol

i take it that the "major" issue people are having with this monitor is the "1:1 mapping"

ive a question...would there be aspect ratio problems viewing hd movies via hd-dvd/blu-ray drives for pc using windows media player or media player classic?

i dont think ill be using a hd-dvd or blu-ray player to watch movies with the monitor but ill be using hd-dvd/blu-ray drives instead so would there still be a aspect ratio problem?

also, ive read a few hd-dvd/blu-ray player user manuals (toshiba and samsung) and theres a setting to specify the type of tv we use...i wonder if we set it to 4:3 letterbox (which i read forces black bars on top and bottom) if it would distort the image less due to the 1:1 problem on this monitor...anyone wanna try?

You won't run in to aspect ratio problems if you are playing things off of a computer. The computer is aware of the ratio on the display, and the ratio that a video wants to be played at and will do what's necessary to adjust them. It will also upsample and downsample as necessary to match resolutions and so on.

1:1 mapping is a concern if you want to use a device that doesn't output 1920x1200 and want the aspect ratio right. If your device does that (and a computer will with the proper graphics card) then it's not a problem.

Sycraft said:
You won't run in to aspect ratio problems if you are playing things off of a computer. The computer is aware of the ratio on the display, and the ratio that a video wants to be played at and will do what's necessary to adjust them. It will also upsample and downsample as necessary to match resolutions and so on.

1:1 mapping is a concern if you want to use a device that doesn't output 1920x1200 and want the aspect ratio right. If your device does that (and a computer will with the proper graphics card) then it's not a problem.

Are you saying if I watch an HD-DVD through a PC, then the graphics card will automatically do all the work of adjusting the image and outputting it to the FP241W without distortion? Another question: obviously you can download HD-DVD content, but can you get HD-DVD drives for computers? Reason I ask is that ideally I want everything contained in my HTPC, and this would also resolve the 1:1 issue if the answer to my first question is yes

NEWS!!!

I have just received an email from the sales manager at BenQ UK. They say there will be NO firmware update for the FP241W/Z at all this December.

At the moment looks like other info about this is just rumors.

dazzbo said:
NEWS!!!

I have just received an email from the sales manager at BenQ UK. They say there will be NO firmware update for the FP241W/Z at all this December.

:(

Mind you, I've just been and looked at some 23" displays in the shops (cos I'm stuck in indecision over 24" or 30" and 23" was the closest to 24" I could find!) and was amazed at how not so big the 23" looked. I was expecting it to be huge! Seeing as there is as yet no sign of the BenQ 30" on the horizon despite it being at CeBIT 2006 back in February, and seeing as the 3007WFP-HC is going to set me back a further £210 ($399), I might just opt for the 3007WFP 30" beast as I can get it, delivered and including VAT for £910..... :D (yeh I know it's like £672 in USA, all I can say is $!#@!!!!!).

God it's such a rip off in the UK. Tech stuff is priced £ for $, which ends up with stuff costing almost twice as much as the £ is so strong against the $. For some reason the UK is seen as a gold mine where they can price like that, but hey, that's been known for years. And before anyone says anything it really has nothing to do with the size of the American market - it costs the same for distributers to "distribute" stuff accross Europe as it does accross USA! We're just plain ripped off!!! :(

/rant

edit: apologies for the rant, bit off topic!

thanks for the answer Sycraft

joshley said:
Are you saying if I watch an HD-DVD through a PC, then the graphics card will automatically do all the work of adjusting the image and outputting it to the FP241W without distortion? Another question: obviously you can download HD-DVD content, but can you get HD-DVD drives for computers? Reason I ask is that ideally I want everything contained in my HTPC, and this would also resolve the 1:1 issue if the answer to my first question is yes

yes...to your first question...

hd-dvd/blu-ray drives for pc will prob be out next year...heres some pics i found
http://www.blu-ray.com/drives/

A french site just posted comparative pictures of the 241W / 241WZ on their site, with input lag too: here

It seems to lag a little more than the Dell's 2007 on average.
The worst text result shows the ghosting is really reduced on the wZ compared to the w.

And tomsharware.fr reviewed the 241wZ

They say the BFI technology is great for games (it seems to significantly reduce ghosting, almost down to VX922 levels) but not too good with office stuff since it reproduces some of the CRTs flickering.
They complain about the poorly controled overdrive and the very noisy videos playback.

If you have specific questions, I can translate some parts of it.

PsychoCandyMtl said:
A french site just posted comparative pictures of the 241W / 241WZ on their site, with input lag too: here

It seems to lag a little more than the Dell's 2007 on average.
The worst text result shows the ghosting is really reduced on the wZ compared to the w.

They say the BFI technology is great for games (it seems to significantly reduce ghosting, almost down to VX922 levels) but not too good with office stuff since it reproduces some of the CRTs flickering.
They complain about the poorly controled overdrive and the very noisy videos playback.

If you have specific questions, I can translate some parts of it.
Just to clarify, the BFI feature can be turned on and off? So I could turn it on for games/movies, but turn it off when doing office work? Also, is the overdrive/noisy video the same as for the fp241w (non-z) version? Or is this just a problem on the z model?

bootstrap said:
Just to clarify, the BFI feature can be turned on and off? So I could turn it on for games/movies, but turn it off when doing office work? Also, is the overdrive/noisy video the same as for the fp241w (non-z) version? Or is this just a problem on the z model?

Yes it can be turned on and off.

Tom's hardware didn't test the w(notZ) model so I don't know but since it's a characteristic of the overdrive and not the BFI, I guess it's the same. Maybe they tweaked the overdrive on the Z though. What did the other reviews say about the video quality?

Well the reviews I read seemed to highly praise the W, which is one of the things that lead to me buying it. To me, it seems that the overdrive is well under control. I don't notice colour errors that I would think over shoot would cause. It seems responsive in games and I don't really notice ghosting. I've been able to make it ghost a bit with slow moving black-dark blue transitions but it's very slight and I don't see it in real use.

Now maybe I'm just overly tolerant, but then again a CRT was my previous reference point. Really the only downsides next to a CRT that I can see is it's not as good at low level stuff. You either need to make it pretty bright (which I actually like since I can finally leave my room lights on) or you lose low level detail. In general I'd say dark game like Doom 3 look marginally worse than on the CRT, though still good. Bright games like WoW look just downright amazing.

I should also note that my display is calibrated, so perhaps that affects things. The colourimetre did apply a fair bit of correction to it. Perhaps the defaults aren't so good.

At any rate I just checked out a 1080p demo from MS and to me, it looks great. The only noise I see is present on the video itself (like if you freeze frame it you can see that it's not a solid colour but is noisy) and compression artifacts. That is one thing, it's not quite as smooth as a CRT and compression artifacts are a bit more noticeable, when present, though these were noticeable on a CRT too (8 mbps is a little low bitrate for HD).

Points of interest in the tomshardware.fr review:

0) First of all, this is a review of the FP241W, not the FP241WZ as PsychoCandyMtl said.

1) They say the color calibration is nearly perfect out of the box (perhaps only a tiny bit too much green).

2) They had the best color performance at 392 cd/m2.

3) The monitor is a little on the bright side, which they say is better for video and games, than for office work. Turning down the brightness for office work will slightly degrade the color reproduction.

4) It has a very dark black point (.45).

5) They measured an actual contrast ratio of 870:1, which they say is rare for a monitor of this size.

6) Contrast remains fairly stable, when the brightness is changed.

7) The colors are "perfectly" in accord with the sRGB standard, though not as good as some specialized monitors.

8) The monitor has excellent uniformity of brightness.

9) They measured the actual latency from black to white at 10ms, which they consider good for a monitor this size and competitive with 19" monitors. But they say the overdrive is a little too "aggressive" and in the grey zone got 18ms and 20ms latency. "In brief the display is fast but lacks some precision."

10) They give the monitor a "B" rating in their overshoot test, with a .5 to 1 frame overshoot measure. This is do to the overdrive and could cause some video noise with movies.

11) They say the monitor is a delight for games, if you've got the video card to drive it. But the interpolation is "mediocre," which could be bad for games.

12) They found the monitor disappointing for viewing movies. In part because of the inprecise overdrive there is a fair amount of video noise and they had to sit back fairly far not to be bothered by it. Horizontal tracking (especially slow tracking) was also sometimes jerky. Far from a total loss, for movies, they say, but they expected more.

13) The manufacturing of the monitor physically is very high quality.

14) They conclude saying the monitor is especially recommended for photo purposes and office work, as well as auto-cad work.

A last note: They insist on calling the monitor a "pro" monitor throughout the review. I find this odd. To me it's more of a prosumer monitor, since it lacks the very high color reproduction capabilities of monitors like some of the NEC and Eizo monitors. But they really insist on calling it a professional monitor.

PsychoCandyMtl said:

PscychoCandyMtl, where do they talk about the BFI in the tomshardware.fr review? As I already pointed out, it's a review of the FP241W, not the FP241WZ. Secondly, I don't see in the actual review any discussion of the BFI, nor of ghosting. In fact, I don't see where you're quoting from in either of the links you provide. Yes they comment on the imprecise overdrive and video noise, but I don't see the BFI and ghosting remarks.

This is disappointing. I was hoping to get this monitor for video editing and movie/video watching, mostly.

The video noise issue may not be as bad has Tom Hardware review makes out. I have read alot of customer reviews and about 4 main site reviews and none of them have mentioned this before.

Strange!!

yes but if you buy for HDMI, the special feature this monitor has, and then it turns out to have bad video quality
then...

what's the point of this technology anyway ?

The tests running various video/movies using the HDMI connection have been very good from what i have read.

On another note i am very surprised to have had no comments from anybody regarding my earlier post.This was the email from BenQ stating there was NO firmware upgrade coming for the monitor!!!

The lack of 1.1 should not be the issue everybody is making it out to be.After all this is a PC monitor and the HDMI connection and 1080p support should be looked at has a bonus. If you want 1.1 and 1080p and HD movies without a slight stretch buy an HD TV!!

dazzbo said:
On another note i am very surprised to have had no comments from anybody regarding my earlier post.This was the email from BenQ stating there was NO firmware upgrade coming for the monitor!!!

joshley said:
dazzbo said:
NEWS!!!

:(

Mind you, I've just been and looked at some 23" displays in the shops (cos I'm stuck in indecision over 24" or 30" and 23" was the closest to 24" I could find!) and was amazed at how not so big the 23" looked. I was expecting it to be huge! Seeing as there is as yet no sign of the BenQ 30" on the horizon despite it being at CeBIT 2006 back in February, and seeing as the 3007WFP-HC is going to set me back a further £210 ($399), I might just opt for the 3007WFP 30" beast as I can get it, delivered and including VAT for £910..... :D (yeh I know it's like £672 in USA, all I can say is $!#@!!!!!).

God it's such a rip off in the UK. Tech stuff is priced £ for $, which ends up with stuff costing almost twice as much as the £ is so strong against the $. For some reason the UK is seen as a gold mine where they can price like that, but hey, that's been known for years. And before anyone says anything it really has nothing to do with the size of the American market - it costs the same for distributers to "distribute" stuff accross Europe as it does accross USA! We're just plain ripped off!!! :(

/rant

edit: apologies for the rant, bit off topic!

Ok, so my only comment was a sad face, and then I went on a rant, but there were not "no" comments on your post! :D

Ive heard of lcd's with video noise. I have a crt and it makes no noise at all. Is this going to bother me. The lcd is most likely going to sit 2 to 3 feet from me. Am I going to hear a stupid buzzing sound. If so I may pass till lcds get quieter. Why would an lcd make noise anyway?

Galvin said:
Ive heard of lcd's with video noise. I have a crt and it makes no noise at all. Is this going to bother me. The lcd is most likely going to sit 2 to 3 feet from me. Am I going to hear a stupid buzzing sound. If so I may pass till lcds get quieter. Why would an lcd make noise anyway?
Video noise is not a sound. It means film grain and compression artifacts in videos are easier to see.

Ahh ok, has anyone experienced problems watching movies? or is this what the Z version is suppose to make better watching of movies?

dazzbo said:
The lack of 1.1 should not be the issue everybody is making it out to be.After all this is a PC monitor and the HDMI connection and 1080p support should be looked at has a bonus.
This argument has been done to death. The bottom line is that the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping essentially renders all inputs except for DVI and VGA useless. If they didn't intend for us to use the component or s-video input, then why include them at all? It simply raises the cost of the monitor without giving the consumer anything useful in return. Maybe some people can live with the stretching, but I find it distracting and ultimately unacceptable, especially since this feature is found on far cheaper monitors.

I am a little disturbed that BenQ support told you that there wouldn't be a firmware update for this. I do hope this was a mistake, as this is the only outstanding issue preventing me from buying this monitor, and it seems to contradict several earlier reports which got my hopes up.

cb474 said:
PscychoCandyMtl, where do they talk about the BFI in the tomshardware.fr review? As I already pointed out, it's a review of the FP241W, not the FP241WZ. Secondly, I don't see in the actual review any discussion of the BFI, nor of ghosting. In fact, I don't see where you're quoting from in either of the links you provide. Yes they comment on the imprecise overdrive and video noise, but I don't see the BFI and ghosting remarks.

Sorry, i hadn t seen they reviewed the 241W too, and got mixed up when i copied the URL. Here's the link to 241wZ review.

I m going to read the 241W one now to see if there's any difference other than BFI.

I'm still hoping for a 1:1 patch, even though I'm a little disapointed with the bad scaling.
I guess TVs are still way better for high-res console gaming.

By the way, why do these reviews never talk about the differences in image quality with the different inputs?

Back