Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Ok, just wanted to clear something up about this monitor.

I sent my November made monitor in for firmware update and just got it back today. First thing I tried was HDMI via an Xbox 360 Elite for 1080P, which many reported did not work and cut off areas of the screen. After plugging it in and setting it up I found a perfect picture. To prove it, here are some perfect pictures. Click for pic, taken with 10mp cam.

First, Aspect Mode, 1080p
http://qapf.shackspace.com/IMG_2043.JPG
And a picture to prove the monitor knows what its outputting
http://qapf.shackspace.com/IMG_2044.JPG
Now 1:1 mode 1080p
http://qapf.shackspace.com/IMG_2045.JPG
Now 1:1 mode 720p
http://qapf.shackspace.com/IMG_2046.JPG

In short, no video is cut off using the HDMI port. The video is displayed perfectly.

As for blackout issues, I have had them myself, reported it when they took my monitor in, they said there was something funky with the inverter and I have not had another since.

For those who would yell and scream that no one would buy this monitor and that BenQ are liars, Dell squashes threads about people trying to discover them swapping panels midshipment after the reviews are in, BenQ just takes a bit of time to write firmware updates. This monitor is beautiful and the only thing I have to figure out now is how to hand off 5.1 audio to my computer so I can listen to my xbox in full glory.

If anyone knows how to read a version number out of this thing so I can see if I have some second firmware update, then please do post.
Great TEST,that seals it for me then the Benq it is.
Shame about the Viewsonic but that's life.:D

There is a new Firmware revision, call up the HQ in Irvine, CA to set up an RMA if you are experiencing the overscan issues. I'm driving mine over now.

There is a new Firmware revision, call up the HQ in Irvine, CA to set up an RMA if you are experiencing the overscan issues. I'm driving mine over now.

Are you sure they're not talking about the original upgrade? This monitor does not have scalers as far as I know. But I'm a dumbass.

Oh yeah!!!

I'm willing to bet the factory firmware upgraded FP241W has the same panel, and the original FP241W has the P-MVA panel. I bet $50, any takers?

For those of us just tuning in... which of the two is the superior panel?

Also, there is a new firmware upgrade for the PS3, 1.80 I think, that will make the HDMI input work properly with this monitor. Can anyone confirm this?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/23/sonys-1-80-ps3-firmware-enables-1080p-upscaling-for-games-and-m/

Firmware 1.8 allows PS3 to output full range RGB, which retified the black "wash-out" colour issue.

Overscan issue however, is BenQ's fault and can only be fixed by another monitor firmware upgrade (that's what Linezilla #3561 was talking about). There's a work around for the overscan issue: use a HDMI>DVI convertor and hookup your HDMI AV eqippment via DVI instead. I personally have been waiting for the 0% overscan fix since March. According to Linezilla, the wait will finally be over soon.

Finally, the monitor of course has a built in scaler. That's how you get a full screen picture even when the source is 720p or 480p etc., with the aspect or full screen mode on.

Please, please let us know how the HDMI connection works once you have your overscan issue fixed! Thanks in advance! ;)

Speaking of which, how is the scalar in this monitor? If your viewing a 1440*900 source for instance is it going to be horribly pixelated or is it ok? Bad experiences with LCD's when it comes to this issue.

Speaking of which, how is the scalar in this monitor? If your viewing a 1440*900 source for instance is it going to be horribly pixelated or is it ok? Bad experiences with LCD's when it comes to this issue.

It's better than the one in the dell or the LG.

Sorry for the late reply guys. The firmware was dated for march of 2007. I was actually taken into the back of the distribuion center and they flashed the panel right there. Took only 10 minutes or so. I can confirm there are no longer black borderes around all four corners when using 1:1 pixel mapping. Ill take some pictures in a bit.

Also the firmware changes the color values for 'normal' on the DVI input.

I am testing out my 360 over component on 1080p and the PS3 over HDMI on 1080p. No more black borders on all four corners BUT now a small portion of the top, bottom and sides of the source are cut out (cropped).

Holy hell Benq, I'm calling their offrices back up to complain. I WILL HAVE JUSTICE.

Sorry for the late reply guys. The firmware was dated for march of 2007. I was actually taken into the back of the distribuion center and they flashed the panel right there. Took only 10 minutes or so. I can confirm there are no longer black borderes around all four corners when using 1:1 pixel mapping. Ill take some pictures in a bit.

Also the firmware changes the color values for 'normal' on the DVI input.

Thanks Linezilla! Just to be sure, please use the 1080_overscan figure to test 1:1 pixel mapping. It should displayed un-croped. A while ago, the Taiwanese BenQ forum had a story about BenQ's 1st attempt to "fix" the overscan issue: simply overrided the 1:1 mode by aspect mode! i.e. the monitor first crop the signals into 1680x1050 (so the 5% edge of your pixels were flown away) then the monitor just scale up the pixels (1050 to 1080) through aspect mode!!!

The best way to test whether it's really 0% overscan via HDMI is to compare it with the DVI output (if you have a HDMI>DVI converter).

I am testing out my 360 over component on 1080p and the PS3 over HDMI HDMI on 1080p. No more black borders on all four corners BUT now a small portion of the top, bottom and sides of the source are cut out (cropped).

Holy hell Benq, can't they do anything right? I'm calling their offrices back up to complain. I WILL HAVE JUSTICE.

Oh well, my worst fear had come ture. The sneaky Taiwanese simply overrided 1:1 with aspect!!!!! (please read my previous post for details). So they didn't fix the overscan issue, they just hide it.

So, if use HDMI, instead of getting untempered signals you will get something that has been SCREWED AROUND TWICE before it reaches your retina!!!!!!!!

Linezilla, I am afraid the only way to get your signals un-croped is through DVI.

Using an HDMI to DVI adapter I can see a major difference in the image, no cropping is resulting. Here are some comparative images:

PS3 HDMI 1080P
dsc7569gt3.jpg

PS3 HDMI->DVI 1080P
dsc7574oj1.jpg

PS3 HDMI 1080P
dsc7572be7.jpg

PS3 HDMI-> DVI 1080P
dsc7573pe0.jpg

The XBOX360 experiences the same problems on component 1080P, heres a screengrab from the Mission Impossible 3 HDDVD:

XBOX360 Component 1080P
dsc7576au6.jpg

Normally you can see the bottom of the "//Impossible Mission Force" menu graphic, not so after this march update.

Great stuff! So, in your "uncharted" pic, although the overscan is fixed with hdmi->dvi converter, the colors look like they changed. True?

Let me get this right, Linezilla has a new firmware update that the rest of us don't have yet and it still doesn't work properly? They've basically just taken 1:1 back out again!?

Let me get this right, Linezilla has a new firmware update that the rest of us don't have yet and it still doesn't work properly? They've basically just taken 1:1 back out again!?

THAT"S RIGHT. BenQ's "latest firmware upgrade" is basically overriding 1:1 by aspect when HDMI is used.

As I said, they pull that trick in Taiwan back in March, as a way to "fix" the HDMI overscan problem.

BenQ is totally unprofessional, unethical and incompetent in terms of product design, testing, QC and after market service. Return your monitor while you still can. I personally WON"T DEAL WITH THIS BRAND AGAIN, EVER.

THAT"S RIGHT. BenQ's "latest firmware upgrade" is basically overriding 1:1 by aspect when HDMI is used.

As I said, they pull that trick in Taiwan back in March, as a way to "fix" the HDMI overscan problem.

BenQ is totally unprofessional, unethical and incompetent in terms of product design, testing, QC and after market service. Return your monitor while you still can. I personally WON"T DEAL WITH THIS BRAND AGAIN, EVER.

Instead of screaming and yelling, why not ask them why they did this? I have e-mailed them myself and await a response. You seem rather quick to cry wolf on BenQ when it seems that we are sitting and screaming at them for firmware updates this very second and they are just trying to produce something to keep people happy.

Linezilla is talking about an older firmware update. There is one that came out more recently according to the qapf dude.

I tested, he got the same firmware I did and it suffers from the same problem. To be fair to the monitor the underscan is within spec for HDTV signals so any properly designed device that isnt a computer that is ment for display on a TV should have objects placed correctly not to be hurt, but this is an LCD monitor and not a TV, there is no reason for this bug other than a programming error or a bad part.

Underscan is less than on my CRT TV anyways.

I was just at the Irvine HQ and distribution warehouse on Friday they flashed my monitor with a March 2007 firmware update. Heres a picture of the calibration .gif on HDMI->DVI and just HDMI using 1:1 mode on both

HDMI->DVI
dsc7581fe4.jpg

HDMI
dsc7582uf1.jpg

I'm gonna call up and drive back to the offices on monday to demonstrate the problems to the techs with my 360 and PS3

Sorry, I'm really thick headed, but I don't understand the difference between the original upgrade and the upgrade that you guys said that you received.

In the november update they added 1:1 mode and aspect mode. In 1:1 mode a 1920x1080 image was shrunk down to 1650x1050 and one could see black borders all around the source. Enabling aspect mode would fill the screen with a 1920x1080 image, but it was one that was stretched from 1650x1050, inherently losing quality and distorting the image.

After this march update the 1:1 mode displays a full 1920x1080 image, BUT the images sides, top, and bottom are being cut off. It's as if the 1650x1050 image is being expanded to 1920x1080, AND THEN zoomed in again effectively allowing 1650x1050 pixels of the source to be visible on the screen. Image quality is lost and the image is distorted.

I can't see why this is so difficult, if the scaler chip is so advanced to perform these unnecessary actions its definitely capable of straight throughput.

I was just at the Irvine HQ and distribution warehouse on Friday they flashed my monitor with a March 2007 firmware update. Heres a picture of the calibration .gif on HDMI->DVI and just HDMI using 1:1 mode on both

HDMI->DVI
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/3370/dsc7581fe4.jpg

HDMI
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5092/dsc7582uf1.jpg

I'm gonna call up and drive back to the offices on monday to demonstrate the problems to the techs with my 360 and PS3

I stand corrected. Well, I wish you luck and give them hell.

Instead of screaming and yelling, why not ask them why they did this? I have e-mailed them myself and await a response. You seem rather quick to cry wolf on BenQ when it seems that we are sitting and screaming at them for firmware updates this very second and they are just trying to produce something to keep people happy.

Dude,

I have been following this scene since Dec and if you bother to read my previous posts (just a few posts up) you would have known why I am so pissed.

Back in Feb, on BenQ Taiwan's official forum (in Chinese, and has been closed since) customers had complained about the HDMI 1:1 problem. Instead of putting in the 0% overscan, BenQ edited the online spec sheet, overrided the 1:1 by aspect and told the public that they have fixed the overscan issue. It didn't take long before customers busted their LIE. Then the local LCD product manager (Jerry Peng) left an announcement in the forum, stated the "real" 0% overscan firmware update was on its way. That was between Feb - March. Obviously, the real 0% overscan fix never materialized. Soon after that they closed down the forum alltogether. Go figure. If you can read Chinese, here's the link:

http://www.avbuzz.com/bbs/av/av-thread-80271.html

After this mess in Taiwan I was hoping that they would treat their western customers more seriously, but after I have learned Linezilla's story I've had it. They pulled the same dirty (yet ridiculiously dumb) trick to a US customer 3 MONTHS after they were busted in Taiwan!!!!

I can't stand a company that LIE and TRICK their customers, and treat their customers as MORONS. If you think I am crying wolf and making a fuzz over your favorite brand, that's your opinion, and I am entitled to mine. If you have been following this 180 pages long marathon thread then you would have noticed that BenQ's reps have a solid track record of talking shxt out of their asses. Good luck on your wait!

I am not the only person who's pissed off. Read this:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031112398&postcount=376

Good luck Linezilla. I wish I could just drive there and confront them myself, but it's too far to drive from CT ............ and THANKS Linezilla!

HDMI->DVI
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/3370/dsc7581fe4.jpg

HDMI
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5092/dsc7582uf1.jpg

I wish you luck on Monday, or probably Tuesday as most stuff is going to be closed monday. Do keep us updated.

I'm going to phone BenQ (UK) tomorrow for an update on the firmware upgrade they promised me to find out if they are still working on it or have abandoned it or if this March 2007 upgrade is supposed to be it. If anyone else is in the UK then perhaps they'd like to do the same so they know I'm not the only annoyed customer.

I'm going to phone BenQ (UK) tomorrow for an update on the firmware upgrade they promised me to find out if they are still working on it or have abandoned it or if this March 2007 upgrade is supposed to be it. If anyone else is in the UK then perhaps they'd like to do the same so they know I'm not the only annoyed customer.

I'm from the UK also m8, and i'm awaiting some dosh to come thru to make a purchase of the FP241Wz Model, and it's not doing Benq any favours for their Customer Service and Products, you'd think they would of had a Rep here to answer any Questions we all have.
Maybe we should all email them this link and explain this Forum has the greatest number of people who are having problems with one of their products and with the Threads as big as this it Demands a response.

Back