Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Whats the problem present?

When you choose 1920x1080 on the Xbox, the dashboard goes off screen on the sides, even if the monitor auto adjust. I think it's ok when you reboot the Xbox though. I don't remember I've been using the TV in my sig to play Xbox since I got it. Oh and, when you check the resolution information on the monitor it says it's in 1680x1050 ...

Has anyone been refused a warranty return for the blackout problem? If so, have you heard of a class action suit? In purple and green Crayon? :p

From what I gather, the DVI port is fine and a 1080p source will display correctly. If I were to get a DVI switch and used HDMI to DVI cables and routed everything through the switch, the ps3/xbox260/hdtv and movies would all display correctly through DVI right?

Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone happen to know if theres a switch that accepts VGA and DVI and outputs both via a DVI signal? Ive never seen a VGA -> DVI plug (i realize the signal wont improve, just wondering if there is such a thing. I tried to use a converter that came with my graphics card but it has 4 small plugs around the horizontal plug that the monitor plug didnt support).

Hurray for the word plug!

Just don't make the mistake of thinking you're getting a high definition monitor, because if you want to connect it to a video source, it's not!

Then what you get? I thought I could connect an HD video source to it, through its component inputs. What do you get when you do, if it's not high definition video?

sometimes out of nothing my Benq screen goes blank...... It appears to loose signal for 1 or 2 seconds......

Is this normal?

if u read this thread, it's a common problem, but shouldn't happen. it's the reason i am not getting one

sometimes out of nothing my Benq screen goes blank...... It appears to loose signal for 1 or 2 seconds......

they asy it happenes if you have an ATI card only, not nvidia

Is this normal?

if u read this thread, it's a common problem, but shouldn't happen. it's the reason i am not getting one

a common problem to owners of ATI cards. no one knows what exactly is the problem yet.

i have one of these monitors but i put it back in the box for now not because i dont like it but because i'm in the middle of some very dark games that need to be played on a CRT to make them look good:D

a common problem to owners of ATI cards. no one knows what exactly is the problem yet.

well i am definitely not getting one, i got a x1800xt when they hit the market, and cannot afford to get a new video card

so there are no reports at all, of this happening to nvidia card owners

well i am definitely not getting one, i got a x1800xt when they hit the market, and cannot afford to get a new video card

so there are no reports at all, of this happening to nvidia card owners

not that i know of, just to ATI card owners.
put it this way if you're young and a gamer, you'll be upgrading your card anyway:D

but really, its a very nice LCD and i dont even care for them.

i doesnt happen all the time, only maybe 3 times in 2 weeks to me.

Background:
We need a 24 inch monitor that can display 1080P video and high def resolutions from a computer input. We have been using Dell 2405s and recently picked up the newer Dell 2407s. We started using the new Dell 2407s but found out it doenst support 1080i over the dvi. So after much research (me sitting around reading the hardforums) and largely based on the nice showdown, we ordered half a dozen BenQ FP241Ws to play with and a Samsung 244T. We shipped back our dozen Dell 2407s. Our Video sources use HDMI and the HDMI port on the BenQ was a big feature for us. Our setups include a computer and a HDTV box conected to a DVI or HDMI switch connected to the 24 inch monitor. Ideally, we would use HDMI on both sources and to the monitor. However, we can mix and match DVI and HDMI connections. The End result must be the clearest, sharpest picture available for the clients.

I popped open the BenQ and hooked it up to our HDMI switch and to a Dell XPS 210 w/a Radeon X1300 vid card. Sadly, it only recognized 1920 x 1080 and shrunk the picutre at 60hz. After playing w/it for an hour, I've determined it only shows full screen at 30hz or 1080 interlaced. At 1080p or 60hz, itll cut 5% all around the sides. This was wednesday nite at the client office. So I faked it at 1080i over the HDMI since I knew I would be back sometime inteh next month.

So after several more hours of playing with it, I'm marking my observations and test results.

Problem: Shrunken picture from computer over the hdmi at 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz. Computer does not consistently recognize 1920 x 1200 through the hdmi. Computer reads the 1920 x 1200 resolution fine on the DVI port.
Goal: To run 1920 x 1200 @ 60hz in full screen, not stretched and not shrunk over HDMI. Alternatively, to get full 1920 x 1080p in full screen over HDMI.

Monitor: FP241W made November 2006
Dell XPS 210
Dell XPS 410
GFX card: ATI Radeon X1300
GFX card: Geforce 7950
ATI Driver Version: Catalyst 7.4 for Vista 32bit
Nvidia Driver: 93.71 XP 32bit
Monitor Driver: BenQ Monitor driver from website
OS 210: Windows Vista Ultimate
OS 410: Win XP Pro
DVI/VGA/etc cable used: DVI & DVI->HDMI
Power source: UPS & IP Power swtich
Monitor backlight setting: Default

The problem only occurs on the XPS 210 using the DVI-HDMI cable. the 210 had no problems displaying 1900 x 1200 over the dvi, but was stuck at 1080 @ 30 on the hdmi. The latest Catalyst drivers only recognize 1920 x 1080 as the max res and will shrink the picture. The full resolution is recognized using the DVI cable. There were a couple instances where I hotswapped the DVI/HDMI cable and was able to recognize the 1920 x 1200 resolution on the computer. But it would reset upon reboot. I wasn't sure if it was the monitor not taking the max res over the HDMI or the HDMI spec not accepting anything other than 1080.

So I tested it with a Dell XPS on a Geforce 7950 vid card. The XPS 410 was showing 1920 x 1200 @ 60 on a Dell 2405 throught the DVI. The 410 read the BenQ as a generic monitor with a max res of 1600 x 1050. After downloading the latest drivers, it recognized the BenQ at 1920 x 1200 @ 60hz. and looked really sharp.

The Nvidia drivers also let me customize the monitor timings and phase settings. the ATi drivers don't. So I downloaded Powerstrip since it appeared to be a monitor timing issue. I still wasn't sure why it shrunk the picture @ 1080p over the hdmi, but I just needed 1920 x 1200. Again, I was able to fool the computer into doing 1920 x 1200 over the hdmi by hotswapping the cable and testing out different phase variations.

It appeared to be a video card outputting the right settings to the monitor. Specifically, it appears to be the ATI video card/drivers not recognizing the 1920 x 1200 max res on the BenQ. Whether this is the BenQ EDDID or the ATI drivers, I'm not sure. But I did not run into this problem w/the Geforce card.

On a side note, The DVI picture quality looked much sharper than the HDMI picture.

So for now I will be using DVI until I can figure out how to get the HDMI part running.

Does BenQ refuse to give you a warranty repair or replacement?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to swear on here so I'll just say that BenQ are lying, thieving bastards.

I've finally taken my minotor back, but not for a refund, for a credit note at the retailer. Here's my story:

I bought the monitor, got the firmware update, had all the standard problems: blackouts, cropping and useless HDMI.

I contact BenQ service centre and spoke to a guy whose name started with E (I'll gladly name him if I'm allowed to) who told me flat out that the cropping and HDMI problems "are not happening." He told me it was impossible. Instead of offering technical support, he told me that I was not having the problem - that I was basically lying to him.

I was enraged. He made me take it to Pullen Electronics, the only authorised BenQ support store in Victoria, Australia to check the blackout issue.

I took it and I asked the guy there if they were going to test the monitor with graphics AND video signals. The dude looked at me and just said "We've got all that," which to me was his way of hiding his ture reaction of "what's the difference between a video signal and a graphics signal?"

Anyway, this was a Friday. He told me he'd have contacted me by the end of that day or at the latest on Monday.... Monday came and went and I called on Tuesday and he said that the only issue was the cropping. He said they found no blackouts, and the HDMI worked just fine (which means they DEFINITELY did not test it with a video signal). He said the only issue was the cropping, so they rang BenQ and spoke to tech support (the same guy I had spoken to who said that the cropping didn't exist) and he told them "That's exactly what the monitor is manufactured to do."

So Pullen Electronics wrote on their report that NO FAULT WAS FOUND with the monitor and told me that BenQ would be under no obligation to replace or refund it.

Finally, I contacted the retailer that I purchased the monitor from, called Newcomputers.com.au who were SO helpful that they even rang BenQ for me and spoke to a woman whose name I will gladly pass on if requested who gave Newcomputers a DOA application form and allowed them to get their money back for the monitor from BenQ. Therefore I was able to return the monitor, and newcomputers have issued me with a credit note.

I am in debt to Newcomputers who resolved the issue for me, and I curse the name of BenQ and the tech support guy who called me a liar and refused to offer any support.

In closing, DO NOT BUY THIS MONITOR. And DO NOT BUY ANY BENQ PRODUCTS if you hope for support.

I am sorry to hear your plight iamjohnsname.

I fear the exact same thing will happen to me. I will hopefully call Benq in the next few days. On my report card form Pullen they wrote waiting fro firmware upgrade form BenQ.

If I don't get any satisfactory answers I'm prepared to take legal action as mentioned before.

Class action law suits require you to get support from a a lawyer for your case who then sends out a general notice to get as many people as possible to join the lawsuit. The case either gets accepted or not. In the case that it does this thread will be cited for a lot of evidence I hope.

So, iamjohnsname, could I ask you to pm me your email or just email it to me at [email protected] for future reference if necessary.

Regards.

Well, lo and behold, I just got off the phone from Benq support cenre Pullen Electronics and they now say that there won't be another firmware update and in there words: "there is not enough room in the monitor".

A LOL moment if ever there was one.

Benq are apparently going to contact me later today...

I just heard that they had to embed the new upgrade in carbon nano fibers to make it fit inside the casing! :eek:

edit: seriously, I'm kidding!

There has to be an attorney that has the blackout problem that can help these people! Help these people help you.

I'll have to look up the attorney that took care of the Hewlett Packard blackout problem if you don't.

So, I was thinking of buying this monitor soon, but before I do, I wish to have a few things clarified if possible.

The whole overscanning issue... What inputs are affected? Is the Aspect mode affected (as this is what I'll probably be using)? Does it only happen with 1080p?

Then the blackout issue. Does it also happen on the Z model? I remember reading a while back that it mainly concerns people with ATI cards. Are there any people with nVidia cards experiencing it?

I tried searching, but this thread is 177 pages worth of confusion. :confused:

So, I was thinking of buying this monitor soon, but before I do, I wish to have a few things clarified if possible.

The whole overscanning issue... What inputs are affected? Is the Aspect mode affected (as this is what I'll probably be using)? Does it only happen with 1080p?

Then the blackout issue. Does it also happen on the Z model? I remember reading a while back that it mainly concerns people with ATI cards. Are there any people with nVidia cards experiencing it?

Here's a video of my Benq Fp241wz going haywire. It was definetely the monitor, there isn't anythign wrong with the xbox 360 being used. It hasn't happened since that one incident though.

I have a 7950GX2, and I get it. Different cables don't fix it either, I've found. To be honest I think it's happening more with the firmware update. Was fixed with a different cable before. :confused:

Only happens on desktop/browsing internet. Quite rare. I don't think it's happened with my 360/PS3 yet.

-----
The reason you are experiencing this blackout is almost certainly due to your video card.

Your Benq monitor has a resolution of 1920 x 1200 and so the graphics card has to work harder to generate the image. When you have tested it on other monitors they were both 1280x1024 which would put less strain on the graphics card.

In answer to your question, yes you are the only person I have heard of that is having this problem, probably for this reason – that it is not a problem with the monitor.

The reason it the Benq monitor is working ok using the D-SUB connection is because again this puts less strain on the video card.

I would recommend doing a simple test. Try to just look at your PC’s desktop using the Benq monitor. If this does not cut out or go black then there is nothing wrong with the monitor. The fact that you have told us that this happens when you run a 3d game implies that the fault must lie with your graphics card. The Monitor has no idea what type of image it is receiving. It is no harder for it to display a moving 3d image than a static image. If the monitor had a ‘blackout’ problem, then this would occur no matter what type of image you send to it, 2d, 3d , static, anything.

I hope this clears up this problem.
-----

Which is a load of bull :-(

I don't have a blackout problem with my monitor, and I'm very happy with my purchase of the WZ. But, if my monitor was defective with a blackout problem, and BenQ refused to honor their warranty, I would consider a class action lawsuit. Hewlett Packard had a defective monitor and this is the law firm that handled the class action suit. I'm going to post this quote from another forum, I hope that's OK. Good luck!

Class Action Investigation - HP 1703 Pavilion Monitor
6/16/05 2:47 PM
In reply to: HP Pavilion F1703 TFT Monitor Blackout
I am a paralegal from Girard Gibbs & De Bartolomeo LLP, a San Francisco consumer class action law firm. We are currently investigating complaints concerning blackouts in the Hewlett Packard 1703 Pavilion LCD Monitor. If you would like to assist us in our investigation, you can contact me via email: [email protected], phone: (866) 981-4800, or web: www.girardgibbs.com/1703blackout.html.

Thank you.

Adam

Sinister Crayon Gawd

2GB Patriot RAM........................7.2krpm 100GB......500GB RAID1 ea
2x 80GB SATAII drives RAID 0....802.11n.................6200 on one
2x 400GB SATAII drives RAID 1..bluetooth................5200FX on other
eVGA 8800GTS 640....................superdrive..............gigabit ethernet
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS..........etc.........................Red Hat on one
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers......etc........................ubuntu on other

Hey sinister crayon,
According to BenQ, your eVGA 8800GTS 640 is not powerful enough, and it's causing the blackouts. You're going to need to buy a new eVGA 9900GTS 640!

Well, i'm going to or thinking of buying this Monitor to use with my 2 8800GTX's in SLI, so they bloody should be plenty powerful enough to run HIGH DEF with this monitor.
I just would like to know what perfect :confused: cable to use from PC to Monitor?

I can't believe people are still considering purchasing this monitor.

I think this thread should be re-named DO NOT BUY THE BENQ 24" MONITOR.

It is a piece of rubbish that does not function correctly and BenQ are a bunch of liars who will refuse to accept responsibility.

DO

NOT

BUY

THIS

MONITOR

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe people are still considering purchasing this monitor.

lol...in my experience when searching information about a specific product online, more often than not you will hear about the bad experiences. The ones that have a positive or good experience with their purchase don't feel as much of a need to state as such. all the professional reviews i've seen on this monitor have been extremely positive.

I've changed my mind now, i'm not going to buy the Benq afterall after looking up the NEW LG Monitors coming out this month or next,

http://us.lge.com/products/model/de...itors_windows vista certified_L246WP-BN.jhtml

I'll be waiting for the first Test on this beauty.:D
Where do you live? The L246WP has been out for a couple of months now in the US and Canada (BestBuy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Futureshop, etc). The L245WP is also available online from places like Newegg and I believe is available in Europe as well. There have been threads on both of these models already:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1167222

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1112110

-----
The reason you are experiencing this blackout is almost certainly due to your video card.

Your Benq monitor has a resolution of 1920 x 1200 and so the graphics card has to work harder to generate the image. When you have tested it on other monitors they were both 1280x1024 which would put less strain on the graphics card.

In answer to your question, yes you are the only person I have heard of that is having this problem, probably for this reason – that it is not a problem with the monitor.

The reason it the Benq monitor is working ok using the D-SUB connection is because again this puts less strain on the video card.

I would recommend doing a simple test. Try to just look at your PC’s desktop using the Benq monitor. If this does not cut out or go black then there is nothing wrong with the monitor. The fact that you have told us that this happens when you run a 3d game implies that the fault must lie with your graphics card. The Monitor has no idea what type of image it is receiving. It is no harder for it to display a moving 3d image than a static image. If the monitor had a ‘blackout’ problem, then this would occur no matter what type of image you send to it, 2d, 3d , static, anything.

I hope this clears up this problem.
-----

Which is a load of bull :-(

My monitor gave me blackouts while using my xbox 360. See here.

I'm not sure, however, if what i experienced is exactly the same as what everyone else experienced.

Where do you live? The L246WP has been out for a couple of months now in the US and Canada (BestBuy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Futureshop, etc). The L245WP is also available online from places like Newegg and I believe is available in Europe as well. There have been threads on both of these models already:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1167222

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1112110

I'm in London England and it isn't for sale at the moment anyway, the LG that is.
But reading about Benq's lousy customer service, it seems sense to look elsewhere, i did like the Viewsonic 24" but that has been slated for ghosting so that's out and the LG is very much in.:D

But reading about Benq's lousy customer service, it seems sense to look elsewhere, i did like the Viewsonic 24" but that has been slated for ghosting so that's out and the LG is very much in.:D
If I'm not mistaken, the LG and Viewsonic both use identical P-MVA panels from AU Optronics, so I wouldn't think there'd be much difference in ghosting between the two. Where did you hear this? Are there reviews of the Viewsonic online?

If I'm not mistaken, the LG and Viewsonic both use identical P-MVA panels from AU Optronics, so I wouldn't think there'd be much difference in ghosting between the two. Where did you hear this? Are there reviews of the Viewsonic online?
I will check for you on the Viewsonic Review.
I JUST READ THE REVIEW OF THE 3 MONITORS,Benq,LG,Dell, and guess what the Benq came out tops, and as i'm not going to get an Xbox or a Playstation 3 the Benq will suit my Pc Gaming just right and in glorious 1080p.
And now to find that Viewsonic Review!.
http://www.bexox.com/showdown.htm
Here is the Viewsonic 24" Review Link
http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/8156/103/

Ok, just wanted to clear something up about this monitor.

I sent my November made monitor in for firmware update and just got it back today. First thing I tried was HDMI via an Xbox 360 Elite for 1080P, which many reported did not work and cut off areas of the screen. After plugging it in and setting it up I found a perfect picture. To prove it, here are some perfect pictures. Click for pic, taken with 10mp cam.

First, Aspect Mode, 1080p
http://qapf.shackspace.com/IMG_2043.JPG
And a picture to prove the monitor knows what its outputting
http://qapf.shackspace.com/IMG_2044.JPG
Now 1:1 mode 1080p
http://qapf.shackspace.com/IMG_2045.JPG
Now 1:1 mode 720p
http://qapf.shackspace.com/IMG_2046.JPG

In short, no video is cut off using the HDMI port. The video is displayed perfectly.

As for blackout issues, I have had them myself, reported it when they took my monitor in, they said there was something funky with the inverter and I have not had another since.

For those who would yell and scream that no one would buy this monitor and that BenQ are liars, Dell squashes threads about people trying to discover them swapping panels midshipment after the reviews are in, BenQ just takes a bit of time to write firmware updates. This monitor is beautiful and the only thing I have to figure out now is how to hand off 5.1 audio to my computer so I can listen to my xbox in full glory.

If anyone knows how to read a version number out of this thing so I can see if I have some second firmware update, then please do post.

Ok, just wanted to clear something up about this monitor.

I sent my November made monitor in for firmware update and just got it back today. First thing I tried was HDMI via an Xbox 360 Elite for 1080P, which many reported did not work and cut off areas of the screen. After plugging it in and setting it up I found a perfect picture. To prove it, here are some perfect pictures. Click for pic, taken with 10mp cam.

First, Aspect Mode, 1080p
http://qapf.shackspace.com/IMG_2043.JPG
And a picture to prove the monitor knows what its outputting
http://qapf.shackspace.com/IMG_2044.JPG
Now 1:1 mode 1080p
http://qapf.shackspace.com/IMG_2045.JPG
Now 1:1 mode 720p
http://qapf.shackspace.com/IMG_2046.JPG

In short, no video is cut off using the HDMI port. The video is displayed perfectly.

As for blackout issues, I have had them myself, reported it when they took my monitor in, they said there was something funky with the inverter and I have not had another since.

For those who would yell and scream that no one would buy this monitor and that BenQ are liars, Dell squashes threads about people trying to discover them swapping panels midshipment after the reviews are in, BenQ just takes a bit of time to write firmware updates. This monitor is beautiful and the only thing I have to figure out now is how to hand off 5.1 audio to my computer so I can listen to my xbox in full glory.

If anyone knows how to read a version number out of this thing so I can see if I have some second firmware update, then please do post.

Dude, just do it like I am and use the optical audio on the audio dongle. Good to hear about the possible fix though.

Can you try component as well? and if you have a VGA cable for your 360, can you try that too?

Dude, just do it like I am and use the optical audio on the audio dongle. Good to hear about the possible fix though.

Can you try component as well? and if you have a VGA cable for your 360, can you try that too?

I can try component, but i don't own the VGA cable, ill go borrow it from a friend.

As for the audio, my computer does not have optical input to run the optical output into. I am looking for a really small mixer to stick on my desk and deal with this shit.

Back