Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

My example seems fine to me. Without 1:1, a 16:9 source will get stretched to fit the screen. You assumed I meant only stretching vertically. He wanted the most simple explanation and that's what I gave him.

I don't take issue with your definition of 1:1 mapping; I take issue with your statement that without it, a 16:9 (or 4:3, 3:2, or other aspect ratio) source would be stretched to 16:10 to fill the screen. A 16:10, 1920x1200 display without a 1:1 mode but with a properly working aspect-scaling mode can scale, say, a 720p source correctly with black bars on the top and bottom. The 1:1 mode would display a 1280x720 box in the middle of the screen.

The problem with the BenQ is that its aspect scaling does not always behave as it should, so the 1:1 mode, particularly with a 1080p source, should be an easy way to force correct behavior. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like its 1:1 mode behaves well all the time either.

Sorry for nitpicking, but the problems with the BenQ surface in pretty specific situations and your example did not specify the circumstances where aspect scaling would not work properly.

uh oh...I think I see a colored pixel (i.e., a sub-pixel)...it looks light green. It appears to be visible on gray, green, yellow, and bluish (but not blue) backgrounds. I can also see it (just barely) on white. Not on black; not on red or purple. Has anyone with a stuck pixel on a FP241W monitor gotten it to unstick, and if so, what technique worked? I tried rubbing it, and I am currently running a pixel flashing utility overnight...

How is the ghosting on this monitor is it noticible at all im going to use it mostly for gaming, so how is it at handling games.

Thanks in advance.

I don't take issue with your definition of 1:1 mapping; I take issue with your statement that without it, a 16:9 (or 4:3, 3:2, or other aspect ratio) source would be stretched to 16:10 to fill the screen. A 16:10, 1920x1200 display without a 1:1 mode but with a properly working aspect-scaling mode can scale, say, a 720p source correctly with black bars on the top and bottom. The 1:1 mode would display a 1280x720 box in the middle of the screen.

The problem with the BenQ is that its aspect scaling does not always behave as it should, so the 1:1 mode, particularly with a 1080p source, should be an easy way to force correct behavior. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like its 1:1 mode behaves well all the time either.

Sorry for nitpicking, but the problems with the BenQ surface in pretty specific situations and your example did not specify the circumstances where aspect scaling would not work properly.

I was just explaining 1:1 and not aspect. Monitors that have 1:1 usually have aspect too, but not always.

With this BenQ in 1080p, I don't believe it's 1:1 and aspect mode not working properly. If you toggle between 1:1, aspect, and full in 1080p, you'll see it's the same image in different sizes. I believe it's the monitor not accepting 1080p correctly. If it's 1:1 not working properly, then you should see that 1:1 mode cuts off the edges of the image you see in full mode, but that's not the case. I'm guessing the BenQ always had this problem, but no one noticed before the 1:1 firmware update.

I'm just guessing that's the 1080p issue. I heard 1:1 doesn't work with 480p, but I haven't tried it out yet.

I'm thinking of hooking an DVD-HD player from Toshiba to it.
Toshiba 1-Disc HD DVD Player (HD-A2)

Will I have issues watching 1080p?

Or even upscaling old DVDs to 1080i?

Also, since my HT doesn't have HDMI, I'd be using optical for audio... Any issues?

Thanks.

Yes, your DVD player's 1920x1080 (16:9) output will be cropped to 1680x1050 (16:10) when running in 1:1 mode. This takes the form of 2cm black bars around the centred image. You can select aspect mode and this will be scaled to fit the entire pane. Some people are happy to settle for this.

That is not what I expected.

What could be done in order to preserve 1:1 or 16:9, whatever.......... Without cropping, without black bars, without stretching........ I'm confused. :rolleyes:

You can...
1) Go back and read some of the past posts.
2) Buy the fp241vw (<--W!!!!! version) which should have working 1:1 pixel mapping, aspect ratio, etc.
3) If you don't want any black bars at all, you will need to look elsewhere. Most monitors are 16:10 ratio. You can perhaps substitute this monitor with let's say...a 1080p capable TV with 16:9 ratio such as the Sharp 32" LC-32GP1U (8 inches more screen-size with DVI input).

You can...
1) Go back and read some of the past posts.
2) Buy the fp241vw (<--W!!!!! version) which should have working 1:1 pixel mapping, aspect ratio, etc.
3) If you don't want any black bars at all, you will need to look elsewhere. Most monitors are 16:10 ratio. You can perhaps substitute this monitor with let's say...a 1080p capable TV with 16:9 ratio such as the Sharp 32" LC-32GP1U (8 inches more screen-size with DVI input).

ok, there I go read 3300 posts....... :eek: :( :cool:

I read that the VW version doesn't do 1:1...... There's no revision yet for 1:1.

Wait a week, see what BenQ have offered to people (who post on here) that have an outstanding case with them regarding the 1:1 mess. If they say the new firmware works and will be rolled out within a few weeks then consider buying one then.

ok guys, waiting for your replies.

Mr. Moderator, please stick this thread. Thanks in advance.........

BenQ finally got back to me. Their authorised service centre gave me a call and I'm afraid the news is not so good.

Problem 1:
Switching between HDMI and DVI causes loss of signal.

Benq's response:
That's ordinary behaviour between those two inputs. Apparently even the mitsubishi models have that same issue. I believe the tech was trying to explain that there is a handshake signal required by both due to HDCP.

My response:
I let that one slide as i haven't read the manual yet or fully investigated this explanation.

Problem 2:
1:1 signal cropping / overscan

Benq's response:
They acknowledge - hooray - that there is a problem and that there is work on an updated firmware to solve this problem proper, however this won't be ready for a month.

My response:
1 #$% month!? I hope benq have a solution and are not just buying time in the hope of people not caring and dismissing the problem.

Problem 2:

Benq's response:
They acknowledge - hooray - that there is a problem and that there is work on an updated firmware to solve this problem proper, however this won't be ready for a month.

well thats good to know that they are at least coming out with a firmware update soon. i can wait a month to purchase one of these if my old crt monitor will hold out till then. i also hope NCIX will update their stock with this latest firmware version when its released cause thats where i plan to order one because they have a zero dead pixel policy even though they arent the cheapest around.

thanks for posting the info abeliever!

The idiots at Benq tried to collect my monitor this morning without phoning first and despite the fact that they have finally acknowledged there is a problem and that a fix is going to be a month away! How dumb is that?

The idiots at Benq tried to collect my monitor this morning without phoning first and despite the fact that they have finally acknowledged there is a problem and that a fix is going to be a month away! How dumb is that?

dumb enough...... :D :p ;) ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes, your DVD player's 1920x1080 (16:9) output will be cropped to 1680x1050 (16:10) when running in 1:1 mode. This takes the form of 2cm black bars around the centred image. You can select aspect mode and this will be scaled to fit the entire pane. Some people are happy to settle for this.

other than the 2cm black bars, the 1080p signal is 16:9 and pure as it can be, right?

guys, I'm almost buying it...... I have the best buy credit card, begin paying in 3 months....... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

First of all I would like to say that this monitor has won my heart when using it with my PC but is rather kicky with HDMI...

BenQ finally got back to me. Their authorised service centre gave me a call and I'm afraid the news is not so good.

Problem 1:
Switching between HDMI and DVI causes loss of signal.

Benq's response:
That's ordinary behaviour between those two inputs. Apparently even the mitsubishi models have that same issue. I believe the tech was trying to explain that there is a handshake signal required by both due to HDCP.

My response:
I let that one slide as i haven't read the manual yet or fully investigated this explanation.

My response to this : I tried a nice test. You can try it yourself. Indeed the signal is lost when you switch from DVI to HDMI and then back to DVI. So I did this. I set the power button of my PC to go to standby when I pushed it and then I switched from DVI to HDMI and then back to DVI. Signal lost... so I pushed the power button to go on standby and then clicked on the mouse or keyboard to revive it and voila I had a display. There is sth fishy going on here and I am not entirely sure whether it is just HDCP...

Problem 2:

Benq's response:

My response:
1 #$% month!? I hope benq have a solution and are not just buying time in the hope of people not caring and dismissing the problem.

Well this is a problem indeed I am also facing... you know I am happy with the aspect mode... but wait I have also an idea about this!
My ATI card supports 1080p resolution and I am assuring you that 1:1 mapping WORKS on DVI with just the upper black bars as it should!!!
So a test would be to buy an HDMI to DVI cable and test the device in DVI mode since both DVI and HDMI are HDCP compliant... If someone tries it he can post in this thread his experience.

can I have 1080p from my dell xps gen 2?

ie: dvi to dvi?

If the video card supports 1080p then you will have 1080p no prob. As I see this model has a DVI-D output and an nVidia GeForce 6800 Go card. So no probs it will work.

My ATI card supports 1080p resolution and I am assuring you that 1:1 mapping WORKS on DVI with just the upper black bars as it should!!!
So a test would be to buy an HDMI to DVI cable and test the device in DVI mode since both DVI and HDMI are HDCP compliant... If someone tries it he can post in this thread his experience.

I too have previously stated that 1080p works from a PC on the DVI input. I already have a DVI<->HDMI adapter on order (not sure what's taking so long) to try the test you suggested. I'm guessing there's a difference between the way the DVI and HDMI inputs are processed but its possible that somehow 1080p from a PC isn't the same as 1080p from a console, etc. The bad news is that I can't get 1080i working properly (its badly blurred horizontally and vertically) on DVI. I'm really hoping this fault doesn't find its way onto the HDMI input in the next update.

guys, mission aborted.......... it was my first purchase with the credit card, they started to ask alot of questions, I got pissed off and walked away.

next time maybe.,, :mad: :mad: :mad:

(they brought the box with monitor inside, it's a black box, very nice nice nice)............

guys, mission aborted.......... it was my first purchase with the credit card, they started to ask alot of questions, I got pissed off and walked away.

next time maybe.,, :mad: :mad: :mad:

(they brought the box with monitor inside, it's a black box, very nice nice nice)............

are you saying you tried to buy the benq 24" at bestbuy? they dont even have it listed on their website, i doubt theyd carry it in the store...

dude, I saw it right in front of me...........

best buy benq 24" fp241vw

wow their search must suck. i did a search the other day and it turned up nothing, now its 2 results, the 22" and the 24" vw which im not interested in really cause the base model is just as good.

edit: nvm, thats why, its in canada! on the US site they dont list any benq products. man, got my hopes up there for a minute lol.

I too have previously stated that 1080p works from a PC on the DVI input. I already have a DVI<->HDMI adapter on order (not sure what's taking so long) to try the test you suggested. I'm guessing there's a difference between the way the DVI and HDMI inputs are processed but its possible that somehow 1080p from a PC isn't the same as 1080p from a console, etc. The bad news is that I can't get 1080i working properly (its badly blurred horizontally and vertically) on DVI. I'm really hoping this fault doesn't find its way onto the HDMI input in the next update.

This is because the video card drivers are doing the scaling, not the monitor. That's why 1080p works from a PC.

Hi. I've been researching this monitor online and have read some of this thread. I am very interested in getting one of these.

I don't know if this has been asked before, but can anyone who owns this monitor please tell me how thick the monitor is without the base? For example, if I were to wall mount it how many inches is it from the back face of the actual panel housing to the front of the bezel?

I basically need the dimensions of the monitor if it were detached from the base. Thanks in advance. :cool:

Am I right in assuming that the reaction to the 1:1 pixel mapping is negative?

I ordered the monitor 5 minutes ago after confirming with my Benq dealer that they can do the update in 10 minutes.

Is it a waste of time?

It is a waste of time only if the second firmware actually comes out. Otherwise the current fix (1st firmware update) is the way to go.

In addition to my request for the thickness of the monitor itself without the base included in the measurement, I would like to ask about the PS3 support since I am getting conflicting reports from comments on various websites.

Many reviews say that the PS3 works great with this monitor. I would like it to display 1920x1080 per pixel on 1080p games and 1080p blu-ray movie playback. This should create a thin black bar on the top and bottom of the monitor. Does the 1:1 firmware allow for this? I hate stretching. I am also concerned about the post in this thread about black bars all around the displayed content on a ps3, as if it were displaying 1680x1050 per pixel.

Can someone with a PS3 and the 1:1 firmware please clarify? Sorry if this is a repeat question but its still not clear to me and my purchase hinges on these facts. EDIT : I will be using HDMI from the ps3 (and DVI from my pc)

This monitor is not doing 1080p properly with the ps3 and the 360 (not sure about other sources). The image it displays is cropped on all four sides. People didn't notice this until they added 1:1, because 1:1 actually shows that it's not a full 1920x1080 image.

Regarding thickness, it's 3" without the wall mounting hardware.

In addition to my request for the thickness of the monitor itself without the base included in the measurement, I would like to ask about the PS3 support since I am getting conflicting reports from comments on various websites.

Many reviews say that the PS3 works great with this monitor. I would like it to display 1920x1080 per pixel on 1080p games and 1080p blu-ray movie playback. This should create a thin black bar on the top and bottom of the monitor. Does the 1:1 firmware allow for this? I hate stretching. I am also concerned about the post in this thread about black bars all around the displayed content on a ps3, as if it were displaying 1680x1050 per pixel.

Can someone with a PS3 and the 1:1 firmware please clarify? Sorry if this is a repeat question but its still not clear to me and my purchase hinges on these facts. EDIT : I will be using HDMI from the ps3 (and DVI from my pc)

You are out of luck. it will not display 1920x1080. It stretches 1680x1050 in aspect mode. The black bars occur in 1:1 mode because the 1080p signal is cropped on all sides.

I also use a HDMI for PS3 and DVI for PC and switching does not work and may never work because Benq has yet to acknowledge - as far as i am aware - this as being an actual fault.

Perhaps Benq should market this feature where the signal is lost with more than 1 device attached!

You are out of luck. it will not display 1920x1080. It stretches 1680x1050 in aspect mode. The black bars occur in 1:1 mode because the 1080p signal is cropped on all sides.

I also use a HDMI for PS3 and DVI for PC and switching does not work and may never work because Benq has yet to acknowledge - as far as i am aware - this as being an actual fault.

Perhaps Benq should market this feature where the signal is lost with more than 1 device attached!

Is this the case even AFTER the 1:1 pixel mapping update? We are talking about the FP241W - not the Z, right?

That's right, even AFTER the initial firmware upgrade. This applies - to my knowledge at least - to both models.

I believe the signal loss has something to do with ATI drivers, at least it did for me. Also for some reason Omega drivers would give me the the signal loss when switching from any other source back to DVI. Try uninstall your drivers completely using Driver Cleaner and then see if the signal loss still occurs. I'm using the official 7.3 drivers from ATI.
On a ATI x1950 Pro AGP connnecting to my BENQ FP241W with a DVI cable I bought from Monoprice. For some reason once in a while the problem still occurs. I always uninstall the drivers to test it then reinstall the official drivers and it works again.

Hmm.... I just tested Virtual Fighter 5 and the PS3 in general and the picture is cropped on all sides on 1:1 mode. Still a pretty good monitor aside from the problems. I can also comment that the WII widescreen 16:9 mode does not work correctly on the Benq. Also PS2 games such as Resident Evil 4 that has Widescreen options also do not work correctly. The picture just gets stretched upwards. Right now I have my computer, PS3 via HDMI, and WII via component connected to the Benq. I guess I can live with the defects for the moment, but does anyone know if Benq is going to fix this?

Back