Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Heres a pic of my setup,

I have had no problems hooking up all the consoles and after the update it displays beautifully.

If anyone has any questions , fire away!

sorry about the size :{

Sherees%20camera%20003.jpg

Thought I would share my experience with this monitor. This is my first LCD. I previously used a 19' Samsung CRT. The difference is amazing. The screens is just breath taking, words can not describe it.

BUT......

1. I had problems with the standard DVI cable that came with the monitor. The dam think just kept blinking(picture going black and going back to normal). At 1920x1200 the screen was useless and could not hold an image for more then a few second. At 1600x1200 the screen worked but the blinking remained just less frequent(once every ten minutes) and only for 1-2 seconds when it did blink. Thank you to the others who reported this issue on these forums. When trying to find out what the hell was wrong google found your posts and they saved me a lot of time troubleshooting.

I replaced the standard cable with this 3 meter one from Crest for $50(Aussie dollars).
http://www.crest.com.au/product/PDV100-3
Not cheap but by far not the most expensive. I have yet to have the monitor blink again after a few hours of use. Things are looking fine at 1920x1200 with the new cable. For those of you with the monitor blinking over DVI I would recommend getting a premium grade cable from somewhere.

For other users this blinking/blackout problem was with both a 7800GTX Nvidia card and a ATI 9600XT over the standard DVI cable only. VGA/Dsub cable was fine.

2. 1:1 pixel Mapping. I haven't noticed any problems yet but I have not tried any input sources apart from the PC. I am going to give this a whirl and see whether its worth the trouble getting the BIOS upgrade. I'm am thinking it will be as I want to use this screen with a PS3 and other devices soon.

Apart from those two hicups awesome screen.

I know there are some of you on the board .

Please Please Please post some info(Maybe even pics) on how well the Wii works through COMPONENT cables on this monitor.You could always take a comparison pic/screen shot of component vs composite. I really want to see the difference. A quick review also of any graphical issues ( We all know about the VC classic games issues)

I would be extremely grateful for any comments shots etc..

I have spent hours on the net looking for this kinda information. At the moment I am running my Wii through Composite on a WinFast TV card using a Acer wide screen LCD.I think you can see my problem.

I am thinking of buying this benq monitor. So the quality of Component Wii is the deciding factor!

Thanks one and all

I have contacted BenQ via thier email/site support.

I explained the issue with 1080i/p content and the black bars in detail.

I mentioned using 1:1, Aspect and Full modes and they have the manufacturing date of this monitor so should be aware I have the first fix already on this monitor (Dec06 so when purchased).

Thier reply was very short. They simply have said to contact the service department (by phone) to sort out a firmware update.

So either they didn't read my email correctly, or the fix is available. I'll repost up after I hear back from the service department.

I've got some even more strange results. I have a Benq FP241W, a Toshiba HD-E1 and an nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS. The PC tests were done using a fullscreen preview in Paint Shop Pro 9.0. The HD-DVD tests were done using a 1920x1080 test pattern disc. I took photographs using a digital SLR with a macro lens on a tripod so I could clearly see individual subpixels.

1920x1200, nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS, DVI-D, 1:1 mode
Perfect 1:1 pixel mapping (high contrast, no blurring)
The top row of the source is missing/black
The left column of the source is missing/black
It is not clear which row and column of the display are unused

1080p, nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS, DVD-D, 1:1 mode
Perfect 1:1 pixel mapping (high contrast, no blurring)
It is not clear which row and column of the display are unused

1080i, nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS, DVD-D, 1:1 mode
Not perfect 1:1 pixel mapping but unclear what exactly the problem is (low contrast, blurring, very strange effects at edges of display)

1080i, HD-E1, HDMI, 1:1 mode
Perfect 1:1 pixel mapping (high contrast, no blurring - a big surprise!!!)
Many rows missing/black from both top and bottom of source
Many columns missing/black from both left and right of source

I can't even begin to explain how bad the 1080i image from the PC was so it was a huge surprise to find that from the HD-E1 it was pixel perfect (apart from all those missing pixels of course).

Even more surprising was the fact that even the native mode of 1920x1200 over DVI-D from a PC wasn't working properly. You'd have thought that if they tested anything it would be that.

I have to withdraw some of those observations. Apparently the fullscreen preview in Paint Shop Pro 9.0 doesn't work properly. I set my test image as the Windows XP desktop image instead and got perfect results for both 1920x1200 and 1080p. 1080i from the PC is still terrible though.

But why would you even bother sending a 1080i signal from the PC in the first place?

A fair question. The only possible reason I can think of at present is if you were trying to pass the signal through a device (such as an audio receiver or an input switcher) that is limited to 1080i.

I'd still like to know whats going on though. Why does the PC behave differently from an HD-DVD player in the first place?

And, of course, like most other people I'd like 1080i from my HD-DVD player to work properly.

Hmm, I'm in kid of a dilemma.

I had a Dell 2407 A04, I was going to buy a BenQ FP241WZ but my order was canceled. And now I don't know what to order.

I'm either going to see if a dell 2407-HC with HDMI shows up or buy an FP241w with the firmware fix, but I have a few questions.

1. Where can I find a fp241w with the new firmware?
2. Does the new firmware allow 1:1 mapping on
....A. Component (necessary
....B. HDMI ( highly necessary)
....C. DVI (necessary)
....D. VGA (not highly necessary)
....E. Composite/S-Video (not very necessary
3. How does Gamecube/PS2 look over component
4. Does component allow for 1080p like the WZ version?
5. Does it allow aspect stretching on component?
6. General computer gaming VIA DVI, is it decent?

Here is my planned uses for it:

DVI for computer gaming and normal use 50 %
HDMI for xbox 360 use 35%
Component for GC and PS2 use 10%
Composite/Svideo/VGA for other use 5%

1. Where can I find a fp241w with the new firmware?
2. Does the new firmware allow 1:1 mapping on
....A. Component (necessary
....B. HDMI ( highly necessary)
....C. DVI (necessary)
....D. VGA (not highly necessary)
....E. Composite/S-Video (not very necessary
3. How does Gamecube/PS2 look over component
4. Does component allow for 1080p like the WZ version?
5. Does it allow aspect stretching on component?
6. General computer gaming VIA DVI, is it decent?

1. Depends where you live, people always seem to forget to mention this. All I know is that in the UK, eBuyer.co.uk is the cheapest AND their batch all have the latest firmware.

2. The 1:1 mapping "works" for all ports as far as I know....but more on this in part 3...

3. I used two different GameCubes over Component with this monitor, both on the whole looked bad. Using 1:1 mode it's too small really, so I used Aspect. However, in both modes the picture was NOT the correct aspect ratio (it was stretched horizontally when in 60Hz mode, and stretched vertically in 50Hz mode). Also there was noticable green ghosting which really shouldn't exist over a Component connection (I use RGB Scart with my TV and it looks fantastic, far better than it did with the BenQ). Granted, it may be a dodgy cable, but it is an official one, and considering all the other problems this monitor has it wouldn't be a bad idea to be cautious with this one.

4. Component does work with 1080p (I tried it with my sister's Xbox360). Looks great.

5. Yes, but as I said before, so far I have not got it to work correctly.

6. Over DVI or VGA with a good graphics card, this monitor looks superb. Nothing wrong with it in that department.

I'm assuming you are talking about the first firmware fix (the one that adds "Aspect", "1:1" and "Full" modes). There are rumours of a second firmware fix because of the remaining problems but I haven't seen anyone claiming to have it.

1. Mine came from www.morecomputers.co.uk. Their website specifically says that their stock has the new firmware.

2. B. For 1080i (and by all accounts 1080p) from XBox, PS3, HD-DVD, Blu-ray, Set-top box, etc., etc. the answer is "not really". It would appear that the top, bottom, left and right edges of the source image are cropped off. You can then choose to display what remains either at 1:1 or using Aspect or Full. I don't know if anyone has actually confirmed that it is the display rather than the source device that does the cropping but it does seem to be common to a large number of source devices. I haven't tried connecting a PC to the HDMI input.

2. C. For 1920x1200 and 1080p from a PC the answer is "yes". I haven't tried connecting an HD-DVD, etc. to the DVI input.

6. Yes, especially if you can get your games to run at 1920x1200 (many games don't support this video mode and you'll need a decent graphics card).

2. B. For 1080i (and by all accounts 1080p) from XBox, PS3, HD-DVD, Blu-ray, Set-top box, etc., etc. the answer is "not really". It would appear that the top, bottom, left and right edges of the source image are cropped off. You can then choose to display what remains either at 1:1 or using Aspect or Full. I don't know if anyone has actually confirmed that it is the display rather than the source device that does the cropping but it does seem to be common to a large number of source devices. I haven't tried connecting a PC to the HDMI input.

Great, when can I find a monitor with working 1:1 on all sources (especially component and HDMI)? Is it really that hard to code it right the first time?

I'm assuming you are talking about the first firmware fix (the one that adds "Aspect", "1:1" and "Full" modes). There are rumours of a second firmware fix because of the remaining problems but I haven't seen anyone claiming to have it.

They are only rumours currently and if it is being made, it certainly isn't on any released models yet. So yes, I was talking about the first firmware fix that adds the 1:1, Full and Aspect options.

Great, when can I find a monitor with working 1:1 on all sources (especially component and HDMI)? Is it really that hard to code it right the first time?

Come on Crayon!! You read my showdown... You know there isn't a perfect option. If there was a perfect option, I'd have it by now. And, I honestly don't think there will be one, either. *sigh* Anyway, based on all the things you want, the BenQ fp241wz is probably the best available. Now, if they fix the 1:1 in 1080p it'll be perfect... But then again, the Aspect mode in 1080p seems to work well enough.

Or, if you want perfection, and have a very rich family member, I'd be happy to go to work for them and design the product specs and test procedures so it comes out right! Of course, it'll be expensive, and no one will buy it except maybe you and me! *grin*

Later...

Come on Crayon!! You read my showdown... You know there isn't a perfect option. If there was a perfect option, I'd have it by now. And, I honestly don't think there will be one, either. *sigh* Anyway, based on all the things you want, the BenQ fp241wz is probably the best available. Now, if they fix the 1:1 in 1080p it'll be perfect... But then again, the Aspect mode in 1080p seems to work well enough.

Or, if you want perfection, and have a very rich family member, I'd be happy to go to work for them and design the product specs and test procedures so it comes out right! Of course, it'll be expensive, and no one will buy it except maybe you and me! *grin*

Later...

Well, even though perfection can't be attained, you can always strive for it right? Apparently the Aspect 1080p mode cuts the sides off of the image though....

Unfortunately, I do not possess such rich family member..... Maybe I could borrow one....

I'm still having the occasional "blackout" with my 7800GTX, I notice it maybe twice a week. I've only used this with my PC, and I'm damn happy with the picture quality, much nicer than my Dell 20".

I used to check this thread a few times each day and the firmware fix resulted me in finally purchasing this monitor with firmware fix intact. Now that I have my playstation3 I have started using it alongside my PC and i'm beginning to seriously question my investment.

These problems don't seem to have a solution:

- DVI and HDMI switching blacks out screen and puts it in sleep mode. Need to physically disconnect one active signal and lo and behold the monitor works again.
- 1080p - specifically with PS3 - is totally botched. Aspect doesn't cut it, though few would notice the difference. (One way to see the upscaling is to make a 1920 * 1080 image in photoshop and type something with a pixel based font - open in ps3 viewer and you'll notice the slight aliasing caused by upscaling in aspect mode. 1:! crops as mentioned before)

I purchased this monitor based on the multiple inputs and the promised 1080p support.

Yes, we've heard this all before, but I'm seriously looking at taking this up with consumer affairs ombudsman here in Australia. I don't want a refund I want a monitor that meets it's marketed specifications.

I'll be calling Benq monday and if I don't receive a prompt reply will get an associate to pen a letter to Benq management informing them of the situation and taking the matter up with consumer affairs.

If I'm wasting my time please tell me.

Thanks.

PS: I am very happy with the other features of this monitor.

I emailed Benq technical support again with a detailed description of my exact problems and asking for assurances that a firmware fix will actually resolve them. I got this response:

"The latest firmware should solve all these problems"

This seems pretty hopeful. Unfortunately they failed to answer a couple of specific questions such as whether the HDMI and DVI-D inputs are processed differently and what is causing the poor image quality for 1080i over DVI-D.

Anyway, first thing next week I will try to get my firmware updated. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I emailed Benq technical support again with a detailed description of my exact problems and asking for assurances that a firmware fix will actually resolve them. I got this response:

"The latest firmware should solve all these problems"

This seems pretty hopeful. Unfortunately they failed to answer a couple of specific questions such as whether the HDMI and DVI-D inputs are processed differently and what is causing the poor image quality for 1080i over DVI-D.

Anyway, first thing next week I will try to get my firmware updated. I'll let you know how it turns out.

So your saying there is a second firmware fix?

Its hard to be entirely certain when you only get one line answers from technical support but it would appear so, yes. I won't know for sure until my monitor comes back and who knows when that will be.

If I went from a 2005fpw to this, would I be disappointed in the S-IPS -> P-MVA transition? I do game occasionally but I'll mostly be using this for coding, writing, film production, and graphic design.

hay pal, I am thinking of getting this monitor for the PS3 over HDMI. Any idea about this? Please share with me. Thanks a million!

Yesterday I received my FP241W from NCIX. I ordered it on Thu 1/18/07, NCIX shipped it from Richmond, BC, Canada, on Tue 1/23/07 (right after I contacted them about the delay*), and it took only about four days to reach me in Virginia (ground shipping - USPS on the US side of the border).

November 2006 manufacture date, with the updated firmware (loaded by NCIX). Aspect ratio mode works as expected. No dead pixels. The backlight brightness is uniform, and it can get very bright at the higher brightness setting. The FP241W is a beautiful monitor. I am using its DVI interface with my computer. So far, I have not noticed any ghosting when playing games and watching video. No sign of banding (per DisplayMate's gradient test). I'm amazed at how black the black is. Viewing angles are superb. I am satisfied with the construction of the monitor housing and stand.

If I look carefully and use a test pattern, I can detect the "slight loss of brightness at the perpendicular (and near-perpendicular) viewing angles" issue that is common to all PVA/MVA panels. One can use the test pattern at this URL:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1004&message=18204850
I saw the effect only on the 6% and 10% range, and I had to look for it in order to see it (and I could still see the boxes; they just varied in brightness a bit as I changed the viewing angle). The effect seems gradual as I move the test pattern (or my head), so I doubt my eyes will be bothered by it. I'm fine with this minor flaw in the technology.

The FP241W is significantly better than the Dell 2407WFP that I tried for a week back in December. The 2407WFP (A03 firmware) had poor colors, hints of less-than-8bit electronics (though their panel is 8bit), and a purple-ish background glow. HDTV video played on the 2407WFP was unimpressive. I had found a good deal on the 2407WFP, but it wasn't good enough to keep it. I sent the 2407WFP back. To me, the FP241W is worth its higher price.

I big thank you to everyone who posted their observations on this monitor, and its competition, on the forum. The advice was invaluable.

I am _very_ grateful to NCIX for taking the time and making the effort to apply the firmware update for their customers. I use the monitor with my computer and also as an HDTV, directly connected to an HDTV receiver (with 1080i over DVI output) from my cable company, so the aspect ratio fix was essential for me.

*I used NCIX's PayPal payment option at the time of the order (clicked their button), and I paid it in full, but the packing slip included with the monitor showed that I still owed about $5.88 more. My understanding is that that discrepency was the reason for the ship delay, since the people who handle the shipping thought that I had not paid in full. My account at the NCIX web site shows that I have paid in full. In any case, submitting a web query to NCIX was enough to get the ball rolling.

- David

P.S. I decided not to wait for the FP241WZ because of 1) the wait, 2) the higher price, and 3) the concerns over the actual value of the BFI: http://www.behardware.com/articles/646-1/benq-fp241wz-1rst-lcd-with-screening.html

If I went from a 2005fpw to this, would I be disappointed in the S-IPS -> P-MVA transition? I do game occasionally but I'll mostly be using this for coding, writing, film production, and graphic design.

My previous display was a 2005fpw. The image quality is better on this Benq, it just plain looks better, from the colors to the better backlighting. When I calibrated both with a Spyder 2 express, the difference on this between calibrated or not is minor, though for the better. On the Dell, the difference is much much greater. I felt a little guilty initially with spending the money on this display, because it was the cheap 22" displays with better numbers than the 2005fpw that got me looking into upgrading, but once I saw that all the 22s were using blah panels, I switched to looking into 24" displays. I don't feel guilty now.

I just got off the phone with a Benq engineer, after wait about an hour. He was nice enough. He reckons Benq (australia) have not received any compaints about the pixel mapping issue. He advised me to take it to the service centre and ask them to downgrade then upgrade. He also suggested i explain in detail the tests I've run so they can check it out. Other than that he thinks my monitor might have issues with the connectors - regarding my switching between inputs blank screen dilemma.

Failing that he advised me to call them directly and that they would have a prompt resolution.

Is it possible to find out how many of you guys are having problems with the updated firmware? Thanks

Well, they don't seem to know anything about a second firmware update and have decided to replace the monitor. I'll be amazed if it fixes the problems but I'm going to let them go ahead because when it doesn't fix it they might actually start investigating.

Well the very nice guy from eBuyer (who tests monitors) has arranged for my monitor to be picked up a second time today for a refund this time.

Perhaps in the future if all of this mess is sorted out I might try for a 24" again...

I just dropped my monitor off to a service centre. They seemed perplexed that I was the only one making a complaint after the firmware upgrade. I explained in as much detail as I could about the problem and I believe they finally got the gist of it.

I am supposed to hear from them tomorrow. The most likely scenario is that they will reflash it and not properly test it and pass it on to me as fixed. I hope they can at least test it with a 1080p HDMI source and acknowledge there is an issue with the monitor.

Stay tuned.

hay pal, I am thinking of getting this monitor for the PS3 over HDMI. Any idea about this? Please share with me. Thanks a million!

I'm not the guy you were asking, but my friend has just bought one of these monitors and we hooked my PS3 up to it, and it looked fantastic. Put the screen into Aspect mode and it's great for PS3 gaming.

I'd say go for it.

Ordered a refurb from BenQShopper.come for $418 today. The price sounded fishy but it is linked as an official reseller on the BenQ website so...

did I make a big mistake? I'd like to be able to cancel before it ships (3-4 days).

Ordered a refurb from BenQShopper.come for $418 today. The price sounded fishy but it is linked as an official reseller on the BenQ website so...

did I make a big mistake? I'd like to be able to cancel before it ships (3-4 days).

The price is low enough for me to take a chance ordering a 2nd one. Thanks for pointing out the availability!

BenQ (UK) have now got back to me.

They are arranging for the monitor to be picked up and for the firmware to be "refreshed". They stated that this was needed even though my monitor came with the firmware update pre-installed (their words, ie. they're aware I have the original fix already).

Will be interesting to see if it actually fixes the problem.

Thats odd, BenQ (UK) called me today to say they may have a solution to the 1:1 problem, a second firmware fix. But couldnt officially confirm this or say when they would be able to do an update.

Akhamar are you the guinea pig for the 2nd firmware fix?

The price is low enough for me to take a chance ordering a 2nd one. Thanks for pointing out the availability!

I bit this morning. I also ordered one coming to a total of $428.96 after tax and shipping (Southern California tax=0.825%). Hopefully I get a nice unit that works. I also placed a comment asking if possible to update to the latest firmware before shipping out.

I couldn't find any store ratings or user reviews anywhere. I did find a couple comments from a couple users in other forums who have had an okay-good experience with www.benqshopper.com . Couldn't find any bad reviews. If you guys have any experience, wanna let us know? =] Thanks

hello all

my monitor has a slight buzzing sound which isnt too loud and i think its normal, but the main issue is that the monitor intermitantly doesnt come on, it only happend twice.

the first time i took the power cable out and swaped it with my other screen and than it worked, put the old cable back and it worked till today when it completly doesnt wanna come on is like its dead or something.

has anyone else had this and can someone please recommend another similar spec screen. getting a bit annoyed now

hello all

my monitor has a slight buzzing sound which isnt too loud and i think its normal, but the main issue is that the monitor intermitantly doesnt come on, it only happend twice.

the first time i took the power cable out and swaped it with my other screen and than it worked, put the old cable back and it worked till today when it completly doesnt wanna come on is like its dead or something.

has anyone else had this and can someone please recommend another similar spec screen. getting a bit annoyed now

Maybe it's just a bad unit. Exchange it and give it another chance! I love mine to death.

Hopefully I get a nice unit that works. I also placed a comment asking if possible to update to the latest firmware before shipping out.

I also asked for the latest firmware. Heard that people got pretty good stuff from them, lots of reports of no/one dead/stuck pixel panels. My fear was that these were C-grade monitors that they're just offloading but it seems that these meet their usual standards, just with less warranty attached.

Either way, it's a much better deal than NCIX's open box monitors that are barely discounted and not even refreshed. I called them about the open box monitors and asked if they were all the monitors that got returned under the "no dead pixel warranty" for having a bunch of dead pixels and they sorta dodged the question, at which point I dodged the offer and continued looking.

Back