Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

MPA? What is that? I thought the non-Z version used a P-MVA. Are you sure the Z version uses PVA, not S-PVA?

MPA is Samsung's technology for improving perceived motion blur, as used on their 100Hz LCD TV they refer to there. I'm not convinced BH is right about the panel used, pretty sure the FP241W and FP241WZ are using AUO's P-MVA panel.

hmm any 1 else having problems getting this monitor not to scale in games under nvidia cards ?i choose flat panel scaling then do not scale or use nvidia scale with fixed aspect ratio,but it doesnt save the seting,it just goes back to "use nvidia scalling".

any 1 having the same problem?im on a 8800gtx.

Nuvian said:
hmm any 1 else having problems getting this monitor not to scale in games under nvidia cards ?i choose flat panel scaling then do not scale or use nvidia scale with fixed aspect ratio,but it doesnt save the seting,it just goes back to "use nvidia scalling".

any 1 having the same problem?im on a 8800gtx.

Did it work with another monitor? This doesn't sound like a monitor issue.

kryptolus said:
Did it work with another monitor? This doesn't sound like a monitor issue.
well after further checking i think its more of a driver problem.

peTeMelster said:
Wait, so the Z version uses a PVA panel (not even a S-PVA), while the non-Z uses a P-MVA panel?

it's hard to tell what BH are getting at but they suggest the FP241WZ is using a Samsung S-PVA panel, a la Dell 2407WFP. Not sure where the info came from though, pretty sure the FP241W and FP241WZ were using the AUO P-MVA panel.

I've been lurking on this forum for a bit now trying to decide on which LCD to get and decided on this BenQ after reading everyone's opinions/reviews. All I can say is THANKS. This is a great LCD in my opinion. The stand is very very sturdy and adjusts in every position you could want and the display looks amazing.

I fretted over the 30" or the 24" for a long time. The dropping prices on the Dell 30" tempted me greatly, but the reviews showing varying brighness levels across the panel steered me away. The HP 30" was tempting but to early to tell if it's worth the difference in price from the Dell. The fact that the BenQ did not do 1:1 pixel mapping on other inputs did not bother me as I only use the DVI with a computer for HTPC and computing uses.

Now that I have it, 24" is a BIG display. Ultimately I'ld may want more screen real estate but don't need to pay top dollar for what the second (or third) monitors functions would be. May flank it with a couple of 19" 4:3 display for other computing functions and leave the 24" in the center for more "critical" viewing.

oh...Zero dead pixels, no banding that I can see with the few test images I put up. I'm not a big gamer so can't comment on lag. Purchased from Newegg and received it in one day!!

hmm anyone know if there's any shops in Australia that are selling this monitor with a 7-day (or similar) 0-dead pixel warrenty, I know MSY does it but they don't sell this monitor :( and it'd really suck to spend $1500 on a monitor only to have it arrive with enough dead pixels to be annoying but not enough to be able to return it (stupid warrenty's)

Benq's warranty is a 7 day zero pixel warranty regardless of the store you buy it from.

I got mine from EYO as they had stock but Umart a relatively cheap.

It may be a different warranty policy here in the UK then.

But whats good for one should be good for all!!!

For all Canadian.

The Benq FP241W is available at Costco.ca for 939.99$ (S&H included)

Good dead pixels warranty with their return policy.

Got my Benq in today and this thing sweet. No dead pixels :)

It was either this or the Dell 24" and I can say that I'm happy that I chose the Benq.

Now I just need to get a XBOX 360 for xmass!!

damn, this looks like a MUST HAVE monitor for people w/ 360s and PS3s. Damn PC monitors are amazing.

any new news about the update by benq? It's getting closer to December, have they said anything new?

Does this monitor do 1080p over component? An does VGA upscale resolutions between 800x600 and 1920x1200?

Yes and I think yes Pete

As stated over most of this thread this monitor is damn near perfect it's only flaw is that it doesn't do 1to1 pixel mapping so if you plug a component input it'll stretch that pretty 16:9 1080p picture up too 1920x1200 so basically 10% stretch across the vertical making everyone a little taller and thinner (instant diet for home movies :p) but luckily this should be being fixed with a firmware update sometime next month (YATTA!)

Well, the thing I'm concerned about is that people in the Gateway 24" thread are pretty much saying that the Gateway seems to match everything the BenQ does with the exception of HDMI, but the Gateway is much cheaper, has a brick and mortar store to buy it from, has DCDi thing to smooth out component image quality. Someone in that thread said the BenQ probably couldn't do 1080p over component. I was under the impression that the BenQ was better overall though, but now I'm not so sure.

So can anyone do a direct comparison with the Gateway? In what ways is the Gateway better or worse than the BenQ?

Hi PeTeMeister,

A couple things to note....

1) I've not really seen any comparisons of the Gateway to the BenQ, other than a couple owners saying that the Gateway 'looks good'. I'd really like to see some actual side by side comparisons between the Dell, BenQ, and Gateway on how they look for desktop, video, gaming, etc. Colors, contrast, ghosting, input lag, etc.

That French site noted throughout this thread kind of does that for the Dell and BenQ... I don't read French... but from the graphs and numbers, I get the impression that is is mainly the 'Z' model of the BenQ that is better than the Dell in these aspects. I'd love to see the Gateway compared as well.

2) On the 1080p thing, one common thing I see in the reports on the Gateway is that they are all trying it with the XBox. One possibility (and with M$, nothing would surprise me) is that the 1080p is messed up. I've heard reports of other displays not working at 1080p with the XBox as well.

I'd like to see someone run another kind of 1080p device into it.... maybe like an HD-DVD player or something like that. Also, not many of these units have been tested with HDCP content at 1080p. It could be that they only support up to 1080i or less when DHCP is involved.... I've been REALLY curious to know that.

But, my main point would be to be VERY careful about just comparing specs. Just because the Gateway, BenQ, or Dell seem to have the same 'features' on paper.... you really want to know which actually work the best. Unfortunately, we're kind of at the mercy of professional reviews and people who might have access to more than one model.... as I'm not aware of any stores that have them all (and even if there were, it would be hard to test the various inputs, etc. at a store.)

So, hopefully some lucky person has more than one, or has access to them. :)

-Steve

Yeah, I never compare just paper specs. I've done literally months of research on these 24" monitors and have been following the threads for all of them, except the Acer because it doesn't have HDCP (automatically out). I've learned that the Dell has far too many problems, the Samsung has input lag (and not as good color fidelity and gamut as I'd like - though I'm not sure if the BenQ and others do much better, if better at all).

Basically, I'm curious about how the BenQ monitor is able to use all the different inputs it has. I'm curious how the image quality compares to the same input being used on another brand monitor. So far, aside from the 1:1 problem, the BenQ seems the best, but if the Gateway is matching the BenQ in terms of image quality, then I might opt for the Gateway even if you lose HDMI.

I guess at this point, it's hard for me to remember how well the BenQ functions on all the inputs at various resolutions. If someone could come up with a neat, organized chart showing all the inputs and all the common resolutions and how the BenQ processes it, that'd be great.

Too bad none of us seemed to get that Sharp Aquos 37" 1080p display with 2 HDMI, 1 DVI-I (HDCP), VGA, component, etc. TV that was being sold by American Express today for $900. I wanted to buy this BenQ before. But I got the Gateway. I'm willing to do whatever tests you want to see.

pNin01 said:
Too bad none of us seemed to get that Sharp Aquos 37" 1080p display with 2 HDMI, 1 DVI-I (HDCP), VGA, component, etc. TV that was being sold by American Express today for $900. I wanted to buy this BenQ before. But I got the Gateway. I'm willing to do whatever tests you want to see.

Link to the Amex site? I remember those Amex deals from last year.

Why did you buy the Gateway over the BenQ?

Basically, the tests I want are all the gradient tests and grayscale tests done for the BenQ monitor in this thread already. Check backlight uniformity, check color accuracy, color gamut, check how good the viewing angles are, and how the monitor functions with every input at every common resolution. I know that's a lot, but it would be a great help.

Does the benq do 1080p over the component and the vga? Related to the xbox 360. From what I gather it does, I just wanted to confirm.

peTeMelster said:
Yeah, I never compare just paper specs. I've done literally months of research on these 24" monitors and have been following the threads for all of them, except the Acer because it doesn't have HDCP (automatically out).

Yes... I hear you there. I'm kind of in the same boat. So far, down to the Dell (reports of issues... but I'm not convinced it is worse than than the others... just a disappointment in some ways from the previous model), Gateway, or BenQ. Though, I'm wondering if we'll see some 26" or 27" models pop on the scene soon. I really don't need to buy until like March... so unless I see a killer deal, I might just keep researching until then.

I'm really anxious to see some component input tests without the XBox though. I guess there just isn't a lot of other 1080p stuff out there yet. :)

-Steve

pNin01 said:

Wow... that is a pretty killer deal. Though, I went to BB or CC (can't remember which yet), and I wasn't all that impressed with the Aquos units (though big ones are better, and 37" probably falls into the better units... I was looking at mostly 32" and below.).

But, with an LCD TV, you are stuck with having to go VGA, or deal with non-native resolutions via the HDMI. Every LCD TV I've looked at seems to feed the HDMI's right into the video scaler. Plus, just about every LCD TV I've seen has the rez of the screen, not at a native rez for HDTV. It is just kind of crazy IMO. (most are 1366x768... and even if they take a 1080p signal in, they are scaling down to 1366x768... should be outlawed to call it a 1080p unit).

Well, no matter... 37" is too big for my application anyway (lol... just a bit of fox and sour grapes there.)

-Steve

peTeMelster said:

Basically, the tests I want are all the gradient tests and grayscale tests done for the BenQ monitor in this thread already. Check backlight uniformity, check color accuracy, color gamut, check how good the viewing angles are, and how the monitor functions with every input at every common resolution. I know that's a lot, but it would be a great help.

Yes I second this request!!!

Also, if someone doesn't want to do all this... what I'd also like are some (even if rather subjective) comparisons between the models. If you plug into your computer (DVI preferably) and play some HD video.... does one look way better than the other... or just barely noticeable... worth several hundred $ better... etc.

Then, plugging in a component based device... and similar report. (preferably not with an XBox... as these threads on all the LCDs are saturated with XBox... and seem to all report nearly the same issues.... leading me to think it is the XBox... so more tests with XBox don't really tell us anything.)

Please, please, please. :)

Thanks much,

-Steve

SteveW928 said:
Yes... I hear you there. I'm kind of in the same boat. So far, down to the Dell (reports of issues... but I'm not convinced it is worse than than the others... just a disappointment in some ways from the previous model), Gateway, or BenQ. Though, I'm wondering if we'll see some 26" or 27" models pop on the scene soon. I really don't need to buy until like March... so unless I see a killer deal, I might just keep researching until then.

I'm really anxious to see some component input tests without the XBox though. I guess there just isn't a lot of other 1080p stuff out there yet. :)

-Steve
Well...if I could have gotten a PS3, I could have tested that...

peTeMelster said:

Someone should make a thread titled FP241W vs. FPD2485W vs. 2407WFP or something.

Just post a list of the tests done on the BenQ, and I'll do them. I already put a picture of the backlight bleeding on the Gateway.

DangerIsGo said:
So, what did I miss? Could someone fill me in? (Exams are a bitch)
Welcome back DangerIsGo.

Back on 11-03-2006 (pg 44 post 867) you posted that:

DangerIsGo said:
Sorry for not being here more often (Feels like i own the thread :p) but anyways, When i get back to school sunday, Ill take pics. Its a Samsung DVD-HD860. The HDMI does NOT stretch. I selected 16:9 on the DVD player and it plays great on the monitor...well for compressed discs that is. Im going to bring regular DVDs and see how they play (Lost Season 2 :) )
I haven't as yet seen any pics showing how the display looks using HDMI - especially with a 4:3 DVD in the player. With the DVD-HD860 doing HD upconversion I'm hoping it will pillarbox the material in a 16:9 display window - with the Benq not rescaling this to 16:10.

Would it be possible for you to take some pics of the Benq display with both 16:9 and 4:3 DVD's in this HD player using HDMI into the Benq ?

Hey guys, sorry for the newbie question but Im in a hurry and didnt want to read through all million pages on this thread.

I have a ps3 and looking for a computer monitor that I can use for my computer purposes, but also play my ps3 on in full 1080p. Would this be the perfect monitor for me? Mainly I just want to know, will it play ps3 in 1080p on HDMI?

Also, where can this be purchased? I didnt see on my local Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, etc

00bolt said:
Hey guys, sorry for the newbie question but Im in a hurry and didnt want to read through all million pages on this thread.

I have a ps3 and looking for a computer monitor that I can use for my computer purposes, but also play my ps3 on in full 1080p. Would this be the perfect monitor for me? Mainly I just want to know, will it play ps3 in 1080p on HDMI?

Also, where can this be purchased? I didnt see on my local Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, etc

It does support 1090p over HDMI, but at the moment, we're still trying to determine if that resolution is scaled to fill the 16:10 ratio of the monitor. Earlier, we found that it did...now, we don't know.

As for picking it up in store, probably not going to happen due to the price. I work at a CompUSA and the highest price monitor we ever got was around $400. Your best bet, and probably cheapest solution, is to get one at NewEgg.

Back