Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

So after reading as many pages as i could,
i have a few questions.

I recently bought a FP241W and after calling BENQ Canada, they said they won't do ANY firmware updates at ALL, so after going to the store where i purchased it they said they would try to get the firmware.

June 07 and after is the version i should be going for to avoid the over scan (because i want to play PS3 on my monitor)

IF this monitor does not work out, what other monitors in this same class would be just as good with no issues with the HDMI / overscan issues.

Ive got a minor problem,every so often my screen will flicker and it just goes blank for a split second then comes back on?

That's the "blackout" problem. Looks through the thread to learn more. Seems to happen more with ATI cards.

Yup! This happens to me every now and then as well. Also have an ATI card. I guess it's something to do with ATI's Control Panel software.

Doesn't really bother me that much. Only lasts a second then the picture is back.

hi,

Does this monitor support true 1:1 pixel mapping so I can use it with my wii etc? I don't want to have to worry about trying to find one with a certain firmware either...Also post any relavent negatives.

and if this has been discussed in detail already please just point me to the appropriate page, i can't read through over 200 pages to find it myself.

Get this cable:- http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?page...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I tried with the Wii over Component, and I couldn't get the aspect right.

But with the VGA cable. The aspect is just perfect. I've posted pictures......you'll have to search this thread for them.

I have one of the original monitors, I believe December 06. I have my ps3 hooked up through DVI, but I want to set the aspect ratio 1:1 so I can play at 1080 without stretching. Do I need to get the firmware updated, and if so how?
Thanks

Yes you would to get true 1:1 pixel mapping in the OSD.

You can try setting the picture to "aspect" and that should fix some of your issues on your build version, but otherwise you'd have to contact BenQ.

As far as I know they won't perform updates on monitors in the U.S. and Canada.

Regards,

10e

I have one of the original monitors, I believe December 06. I have my ps3 hooked up through DVI, but I want to set the aspect ratio 1:1 so I can play at 1080 without stretching. Do I need to get the firmware updated, and if so how?
Thanks

Flyman,

The FP241W has been working perfectly from day 1 (June 2007 build) and Aria shipped the package promptly and efficiently - no delays.
The screen was also prestine - not a single stuck/dead pixel.
No complaints from me regarding their service either - I'd be happy to use them again.

Regards,

Trashin

Flyman said:
Hi Trashin,

Just wanted to follow up on your post about getting your monitor from Aria. What was the manufacture date and were they ok as a company to deal with?

Regards
Flyman

I bought one of these recently and am very happy too. Perfect screen, no defects and the picture quality is excellent.

I was a bit worried about blurring with shoot-em-up games, especially on MAME where a lot of them run at odd refresh rates like 57.5Hz, but it's fine.

I've been considering getting the FP241W and I've come here for some advice. I've read a number of reviews (all praising it) and also came across this massive thread.
Well, I've managed to read through all two years worth of it (it took days!) and through it all, I read when the monitor came out, the problems it had with 1:1 mapping, the firmware update, people getting their units serviced, problems still occurring later, a second firmware update, some countries who could get the firmware update and some that couldn't. I also read about people who had problems with the unit blacking out, problems with the stand, problems with Benq and so on.

Can anyone tell me what the current situation is with this monitor?
-Does the monitor do 1:1 mapping properly?
-Is there a problem with the unit blacking out occasionally?
-What are the differences between the FP241W, the FP241VW and FP241WZ? (I think I got the model numbers right)

Thanks

X

Here is the info you seek:

1) The FP241W/VW with a build date of June 2007 or later do full 1:1 pixel mapping on all HD connectors at 480p,720p,1080i/1080p and have an overscan on/off toggle to ensure exact 1:1 pixel mapping

2) I have only had my FP241VW blank out twice, and this was due to a loose DVI connector. BenQ's DVI connector on the FP241 monitors is not the best, so one must ensure they screw in the DVI cable fairly tightly. Some users do have a real black out issue at times, but generally this has been seemingly taken care of with newer units (ie. June 2007 and later).

3) The FP241W and WZ are physically the same monitor, but I would avoid the WZ because there were fewer units put out with the proper firmware. The VW is the same panel as the WZ, which is a slightly newer revision of the AUO A-MVA panel found in the FP241W (V0 vs. V2). The VW has no height adjustment, and looks similar to a TV, whereas the W has height adjustment and is not as wide (22" vs 27.5"). The extra width on the VW is 100% due to the stand.

4) The VW has different build dates. Mine is a December 2007 built unit that has full 1:1, overscan on/off and works as advertised.

5) Europe and Pacific Rim countries can still get firmware updates to the latest, while North America cannot.

Regards,

10e

I've been considering getting the FP241W and I've come here for some advice. I've read a number of reviews (all praising it) and also came across this massive thread.
Well, I've managed to read through all two years worth of it (it took days!) and through it all, I read when the monitor came out, the problems it had with 1:1 mapping, the firmware update, people getting their units serviced, problems still occurring later, a second firmware update, some countries who could get the firmware update and some that couldn't. I also read about people who had problems with the unit blacking out, problems with the stand, problems with Benq and so on.

Can anyone tell me what the current situation is with this monitor?
-Does the monitor do 1:1 mapping properly?
-Is there a problem with the unit blacking out occasionally?
-What are the differences between the FP241W, the FP241VW and FP241WZ? (I think I got the model numbers right)

Thanks

X

I ordered this monitor direct from BenQ last week, and just got it yesterday. It has a manufacturing date of March 2007. I live in the states so I guess I'm stuck with the later firmware:(

Other then that the monitor is awesome.

I got this monitor a few days ago, and I'm upgraded from an LG 1952XT or something. All I can say is wow. Even if this is a TN Panel, the difference between the 1952 and the G2400w is amazing. Blacks are black and there's hardly any washing/bleeding compared to the old one. Plus, the response rate/input lag is so much better that I've had to adjust playing games from shooting to where I'll think they'll be to trying to come a lot closer to actually hitting them.

But a lot of the options on the OSD are greyed out, like the Display options and Display mode. Is that normal?

Plus, this 8800GTS 320mb is getting owned in games now =[. Where are the new video cards already, sheesh!

Thanks, 10e.
I'm in Melbourne, Australia and I can only seem to find the FP241W advertised anywhere. Pricey unit, though! Does anyone know the best place to pick it up from?

Some more questions.
- I remember reading how some people had the black out problem and found issues with the supplied DVI cable. They then replaced it with another higher-quality DVI cable and rectified the issue. If I had to do this, would I seek a single-link DVI cable or a dual-link DVI cable?

Now about native resolutions. More of a general query really.
If I'm playing a game, and the game has only support for 4:3 with a max resolution of 1600x1200, I'm assuming then if I put the monitor into 1:1 "mode", then I'll get the black bars top & bottom, left &right.
How will the displayed 1600x1200 image look? Is the monitor scaling? Is there interpolation happening? Will it not look good, because the resolution is not a divisible multiple of 1920x1200?

Following on from that, if I am playing a game which does have 16:10 support, but I can only go up to something like 1440x900, what will that look like?

Cheers

X

Here is the info you seek:

1) The FP241W/VW with a build date of June 2007 or later do full 1:1 pixel mapping on all HD connectors at 480p,720p,1080i/1080p and have an overscan on/off toggle to ensure exact 1:1 pixel mapping

2) I have only had my FP241VW blank out twice, and this was due to a loose DVI connector. BenQ's DVI connector on the FP241 monitors is not the best, so one must ensure they screw in the DVI cable fairly tightly. Some users do have a real black out issue at times, but generally this has been seemingly taken care of with newer units (ie. June 2007 and later).

3) The FP241W and WZ are physically the same monitor, but I would avoid the WZ because there were fewer units put out with the proper firmware. The VW is the same panel as the WZ, which is a slightly newer revision of the AUO A-MVA panel found in the FP241W (V0 vs. V2). The VW has no height adjustment, and looks similar to a TV, whereas the W has height adjustment and is not as wide (22" vs 27.5"). The extra width on the VW is 100% due to the stand.

4) The VW has different build dates. Mine is a December 2007 built unit that has full 1:1, overscan on/off and works as advertised.

5) Europe and Pacific Rim countries can still get firmware updates to the latest, while North America cannot.

Regards,

10e

I would go dual-link, even if you don't need it. That's my preference as both will work fine.

1600x1200 would only have black bars left and right, so it would be at native resolution with 160 pixel black bars left and right of the image using 1:1 and not doing any video card scaling (or vid card scaling with aspect ratio).

For 1440x900 you have two options: Let the video card scale up to 1920x1200 or let the screen do it. I usually opt for the former because it does not induce any input lag or performance penalties whatsoever. The video card control panel (ATI or NVidia) both have full scaling options. This can even be done for 1280x800 or 1280x720 /720p.

For Australia you can get the firmware updated if need be. Not sure about how much longer they will do it, but most FP241W stocks are June 2007 or later so I doubt you will need to do this.

Regards,

10e

Thanks, 10e.
I'm in Melbourne, Australia and I can only seem to find the FP241W advertised anywhere. Pricey unit, though! Does anyone know the best place to pick it up from?

Some more questions.
- I remember reading how some people had the black out problem and found issues with the supplied DVI cable. They then replaced it with another higher-quality DVI cable and rectified the issue. If I had to do this, would I seek a single-link DVI cable or a dual-link DVI cable?

Now about native resolutions. More of a general query really.
If I'm playing a game, and the game has only support for 4:3 with a max resolution of 1600x1200, I'm assuming then if I put the monitor into 1:1 "mode", then I'll get the black bars top & bottom, left &right.
How will the displayed 1600x1200 image look? Is the monitor scaling? Is there interpolation happening? Will it not look good, because the resolution is not a divisible multiple of 1920x1200?

Following on from that, if I am playing a game which does have 16:10 support, but I can only go up to something like 1440x900, what will that look like?

Cheers

X

Hey everyone, I just picked up a Wii and I have a question about getting the sound to work. Right now I have my Wii connected to the component input on the FP241W, and I have the two RCA cables left over. How do I go about connecting those to my X-Fi sound card? Do I need some type of extender? I tried looking through this thread but couldn't find the answer. Thanks for the help!!

I got this monitor a few days ago, and I'm upgraded from an LG 1952XT or something. All I can say is wow. Even if this is a TN Panel, the difference between the 1952 and the G2400w is amazing. Blacks are black and there's hardly any washing/bleeding compared to the old one. Plus, the response rate/input lag is so much better that I've had to adjust playing games from shooting to where I'll think they'll be to trying to come a lot closer to actually hitting them.

But a lot of the options on the OSD are greyed out, like the Display options and Display mode. Is that normal?

Plus, this 8800GTS 320mb is getting owned in games now =[. Where are the new video cards already, sheesh!

FP241W should be P-MVA or smt not TN. Or have they changed that?

For the people who have the FP241W, what's it like with gaming?
Any ghosting? Any input lag issues?
How's it with movies?

Cheers

X

My VW is a pretty good gaming screen.

There is seemingly no ghosting, except for a very slight amount on dark to dark transitions, but nothing that bothers me during gaming.

It's reputed to have 33ms+ of input lag, but I find that in clone mode vs. my G2400W, which has almost no input lag, I can't see any on the FP241VW, while I can with my NEC LCD2690 which is supposed to also have only 33ms / 2 frames of lag.

For gaming this seems to be one of the better MVA panels out there, almost as good as the LG L245/246WP.

Regards,

10e

For the people who have the FP241W, what's it like with gaming?
Any ghosting? Any input lag issues?
How's it with movies?

Cheers

X

Thanks again, 10e.

Got a general question in regards to some of the new displays (I'm assuming they're new displays) that Samsung and Benq have brought out. Namely the V2400W and the 2493HM respectively.

My understanding is that TN displays aren't as good as MVA displays when it comes to contrast ratios, and that these new displays from Benq and Samsung are TN displays.
How is it that they are then quoting such high contrast ratios? They both mention DC, which I'm guessing is Dynamic Contrast?
How does that work?

Yes, you are 100% correct. They use Dynamic Contrast. Neither the V2400W nor the 2493HM can match the native contrast of the FP241W/VW's A-MVA panels without using dynamic contrast "trickery".

Dynamic contrast basically measures the blackest black achieved at the lowest backlight/brightness setting versus the whitest white at the highest backlight/brightness setting. It varies the brightness level based on content so dark scenes get darker, and bright scenes get brighter. Kinda opposite of what one would want IMHO.

Hope that helps,

10e

Thanks again, 10e.

Got a general question in regards to some of the new displays (I'm assuming they're new displays) that Samsung and Benq have brought out. Namely the V2400W and the 2493HM respectively.

My understanding is that TN displays aren't as good as MVA displays when it comes to contrast ratios, and that these new displays from Benq and Samsung are TN displays.
How is it that they are then quoting such high contrast ratios? They both mention DC, which I'm guessing is Dynamic Contrast?
How does that work?

Thanks, 10e, you're a wealth of information.

Any ideas why Samsung and Benq (I guess they're not alone in this) are bringing out new TN models instead of newer IPS or MVA panels?
Isn't that sort of going backwards a bit?
It seems the only advantage with TN are the response times (plus the cost), but haven't the later IPS and MVA panels improved quite a bit in regards to response times?

Any ideas why Samsung and Benq (I guess they're not alone in this) are bringing out new TN models instead of newer IPS or MVA panels?
It seems the only advantage with TN are the response times (plus the cost), but haven't the later IPS and MVA panels improved quite a bit in regards to response times?

I assume there is more of a market for TN panels, cheaper, and most people don't know there are different types of panels, nor do they care. I used 2 tn panels for a number of years, just upgraded to 2 nec ips panels, the new panels are much better, but for most people TN would be more than enough.

It's already started happening.

The FP241W is no longer in production as far as I know of, and the FP241VW will soon follow suit I think.

Samsung has the 245B/BW, 2493HM, 2693HM, and their army of 22" TNs. At least they still have the 245T (S-PVA)

BenQ has the G2400W, G2400WD, V2400W all TNs.

LG now has brought out the W2452TQ, the L246WH-BN, W2600H-PF all TNs.

I don't have a problem with TNs, but I think that the manufacturers should tell us what type of panel they are using instead of lying about things like vertical viewing angles, etc...24" is my personal limit for TNs. Anything bigger becomes poor in viewing angles.

This is all due to price pressure, but consumers should still know without having to resorting to hours of research.

Regards,

10e

It's a pity the manufacturers are doing that. They are giving the impression that what they're bringing out is newer tech, when in actual fact, it isn't.
Wouldn't the price of IPS and MVA panels start to come down if they just made and sold more of them?

What happens in the LCD television world?
What sort of panels get used with Sony, LG, Hitachi, Panasonic, Samsung, and so on?

LG and Panasonic tend to use LG S-IPS. I have an LG 37" LCD TV and it is 100% S-IPS. I've used it as a monitor and it is fabulous except for a touch of input lag.

Panasonic markets it as AS-IPS I believe.

Samsung and Sony use S-LCD PVA panels from their joint factory. Toshiba does as well, and I believe they are using Samsung's panels.

Sharp uses their special AS-V which is MVA + pixel modification. Sharp's quality has not been as solid the past few years in regards to their panels, though the LCD32GP3U is supposed to be better than the older GP1U in terms of panel quality. Not trying to offend Sharp owners here, but some people are very picky.

Hitachi I'm not sure of, though I know they pretty much helped invent S-IPS displays, and I do believe they still manufacture panels.

I would hope people pay more attention to panel types in the future. This may drive manufacturers to give us better quality panels for a better, more competitive price. I also wish manufacturers would stop with the panel lotteries. The reason I've always liked BenQ is they always use AUO panels, which means that whatever gets reviewed out there is what you'll receive, as opposed to others who send the best panels to reviewers while screwing the consumer with lesser quality, or poorly calibrated panels. It would be nice if Best Buy and other big box retailers actually knew what the hell they were selling.

Regards,

10e

It's a pity the manufacturers are doing that. They are giving the impression that what they're bringing out is newer tech, when in actual fact, it isn't.
Wouldn't the price of IPS and MVA panels start to come down if they just made and sold more of them?

What happens in the LCD television world?
What sort of panels get used with Sony, LG, Hitachi, Panasonic, Samsung, and so on?

Anyone have any idea what manufacture date the FP241W's available from BenQ USA are? I am thinking of getting another one but need the 1:1 Pixel Mapping and Overscan on/off option. Also these are brand new sealed units not refurb's correct?

I think BenQ sells both new and refurbished FP241W from time to time. They do put remarks as "brand new" or "refurbished" under product description so you should not worry about getting something you don't want. For the manufacturer date, I would suggest you call BenQ USA directly to check the status.

It has to be June 2007 or later. September 2007 was the original build date for overscan on/off and 1:1 firmware, but since BenQ has been reshuffling remaining stocks, June 2007 may be available in North America.

For the FP241VW it has to be December 2007 or later.

Regards,

10e

Anyone have any idea what manufacture date the FP241W's available from BenQ USA are? I am thinking of getting another one but need the 1:1 Pixel Mapping and Overscan on/off option. Also these are brand new sealed units not refurb's correct?

I agree with 10e. BenQ must be reshuffling the remaining stocks. The BenQ tech support did not comfirm the manufacturer date but they grurantee that these monitors offer 1:1 Pixel Mapping and will not have over scan issues.

Man, 10e, you know your stuff.
Seeing how the LCD televisions have increased in size over the years and moved towards HD and full HD (at least that's what they call them down here in Oz), I've always thought that the manufacturers had to be using better panels to have improved response times and contrast ratios.
Plasma seems to always have had the edge over LCD in regards to contrast, but is that the case with the latest LCD TVs?

What do you think will happen with OLEDs?
I saw somewhere that Samsung had a laptop with an OLED screen.

LG and Panasonic tend to use LG S-IPS. I have an LG 37" LCD TV and it is 100% S-IPS. I've used it as a monitor and it is fabulous except for a touch of input lag.

Panasonic markets it as AS-IPS I believe.

Samsung and Sony use S-LCD PVA panels from their joint factory. Toshiba does as well, and I believe they are using Samsung's panels.

Sharp uses their special AS-V which is MVA + pixel modification. Sharp's quality has not been as solid the past few years in regards to their panels, though the LCD32GP3U is supposed to be better than the older GP1U in terms of panel quality. Not trying to offend Sharp owners here, but some people are very picky.

Hitachi I'm not sure of, though I know they pretty much helped invent S-IPS displays, and I do believe they still manufacture panels.

I would hope people pay more attention to panel types in the future. This may drive manufacturers to give us better quality panels for a better, more competitive price. I also wish manufacturers would stop with the panel lotteries. The reason I've always liked BenQ is they always use AUO panels, which means that whatever gets reviewed out there is what you'll receive, as opposed to others who send the best panels to reviewers while screwing the consumer with lesser quality, or poorly calibrated panels. It would be nice if Best Buy and other big box retailers actually knew what the hell they were selling.

Regards,

10e

FP241W post four thousand, nine hundred and fifty. When the count hits 5,000 the 241W becomes a cult classic and we can sell ours on eBay at a huge profit and live on TNs for the rest of our lives. Oh wait a sec.....

On the Wikipedia site it says:

"MVA's pixel response times rise dramatically with small changes in brightness."

What does that mean? Is pixel response time lower with higher brightness? Does that make any significant difference?

Yep, in North America it's also FullHD,

It's always easier to make larger panels up to a certain size because TVs using 1920x1080 resolution at 32", 37", 40" etc... have bigger transistors which don't need as low tolerances to be produced in quantity at high qualities.

Compare the dot pitch of a 32" HD TV with a 24" 1920x1200 monitor, or even worse, a 30" monitor with 2560x1600. Each LCD is a transistor, and I think in certain panel types it's two transistors per subpixel, so three per pixel (RGB).

I think it will take 2 to 3 years for OLED to become affordable at least. It takes years for manufacturing processes to become efficient and cost-effective. I think there is a lot of promise for that technology, but only time will tell. I've been hearing about OLED since 2001.

Regards,

10e

Man, 10e, you know your stuff.
Seeing how the LCD televisions have increased in size over the years and moved towards HD and full HD (at least that's what they call them down here in Oz), I've always thought that the manufacturers had to be using better panels to have improved response times and contrast ratios.
Plasma seems to always have had the edge over LCD in regards to contrast, but is that the case with the latest LCD TVs?

What do you think will happen with OLEDs?
I saw somewhere that Samsung had a laptop with an OLED screen.

Yes,

Pixel response time on dark to dark transitions on MVA is typically slower than TN or IPS. Brighter transitions are fast. It's pretty tough to tell though. You have to find a fast moving dark on dark image to see it, and you may see some slight ghosting or blur.

Definitely not a problem.

10e

On the Wikipedia site it says:

"MVA's pixel response times rise dramatically with small changes in brightness."

What does that mean? Is pixel response time lower with higher brightness? Does that make any significant difference?

Well, I just got my FP241W.
It's amazing to have a widescreen LCD at home after using a square CRT for years.

Are there any "test" programs or calibration sheets I could use to see if
a) I have absolutely no bright, dark, dead pixel issues
b) the colors look right
c) the picture is spot on for 1920x1200

Are there any favourable brightness/contrast settings?
I've turned down the brightness a bit, but that's about it, so far.

Hi, All,

I've been unable to get a proper display from my Vaio FZ-190 running Vista via HDMI. At any resolution the outer 1/2" of the screen is cut off by black margins. Under Linux on the same computer I can run at 1920x1080 with no problem (I've not been able to get to 1920x1200). Does anyone have a tweak for getting HDMI support running under Vista?

Also the monitor doesn't properly power-down when on HDMI - it goes to a blue screen instead. All other inputs go into power-saving mode. Anyone else seen this?

Thanks,

Bill

hey guys,

does anyone know how much the FP241W weighs without the stand. I was thinking of setting up this monitor with the ergotron 45-179-195 desk mount but it can only support up to 20lbs. i don't have a scale around here or else i would've weighed it myself.

Why can't I choose 1280*800 for my desktop?

There is only 1280 by 720,768, or 960. (I use ATI Radeon 9600)

Also, why is the 1280*768 image stretched to fill the whole screen even though the monitor is set to 1:1? When I uncheck "scale image to panel size" the image is small with black borders all around no matter which monitor scaling option I choose, even on aspect and full.

Well I can tell you guys the FP241W has its problems. I got mines with the 1:1 but not overscan. I do love the monitor except with my AGP 1950 pro it blacks out sometimes. I can't tell if its driver related since when I switched to omega drivers it stopped. I reformated and used the official ati drivers and it started blacking out again. Now theres some annoying buzzing noise that comes and goes. I used it for my Wii and PS3. I hooking the monitor to a monoprice HDMI switch with a hdmi to dvi cable since the hdmi is still jacked up. Component doesn't display correctly for the Wii at least in Widescreen. If you don't care about that then its no problem. As a PC monitor its great, if theres no buzzing noise. Sometimes though if you switch to PS3 and then back to PC you will have no signal and have to restart. My guess is this monitor just doesn't like ATI cards.

Hi, All,

I've been unable to get a proper display from my Vaio FZ-190 running Vista via HDMI. At any resolution the outer 1/2" of the screen is cut off by black margins. Under Linux on the same computer I can run at 1920x1080 with no problem (I've not been able to get to 1920x1200). Does anyone have a tweak for getting HDMI support running under Vista?

Also the monitor doesn't properly power-down when on HDMI - it goes to a blue screen instead. All other inputs go into power-saving mode. Anyone else seen this?

Thanks,

Bill
If you are using HDMI and the Vaio has an ATI card in it, you have to go into the ATI Catalyst Control Centre and change the settings which control overscan/underscan under Flat panel/HDTV settings.

If using nVidia you have to go into control panel and ensure that under "Manage Custom Resolutions" you turn off "Treat as HDTV". These settings enable or disable overscan. Linux doesn't have these settings in the driver so they are not utilized, thus no over/underscan.

hey guys,

does anyone know how much the FP241W weighs without the stand. I was thinking of setting up this monitor with the ergotron 45-179-195 desk mount but it can only support up to 20lbs. i don't have a scale around here or else i would've weighed it myself.

It's less than 20 lbs. I've taken the stand off of the FP241VW which is basically the same monitor and it was no problem on this stand. I think the weight without stand is around 18lbs.

Why can't I choose 1280*800 for my desktop?

There is only 1280 by 720,768, or 960. (I use ATI Radeon 9600)

Also, why is the 1280*768 image stretched to fill the whole screen even though the monitor is set to 1:1? When I uncheck "scale image to panel size" the image is small with black borders all around no matter which monitor scaling option I choose, even on aspect and full.

For your first question you need to set it as a custom resolution in CCC. To allow the monitor to control aspect properly set the resolution you want and try "Use display/panel built-in scaling".

1:1 of 1280x768 or 1280x960 will be a small image on a 1920x1200 monitor. THAT is true 1:1 pixel mapping.

Well I can tell you guys the FP241W has its problems. I got mines with the 1:1 but not overscan. I do love the monitor except with my AGP 1950 pro it blacks out sometimes. I can't tell if its driver related since when I switched to omega drivers it stopped. I reformated and used the official ati drivers and it started blacking out again. Now theres some annoying buzzing noise that comes and goes. I used it for my Wii and PS3. I hooking the monitor to a monoprice HDMI switch with a hdmi to dvi cable since the hdmi is still jacked up. Component doesn't display correctly for the Wii at least in Widescreen. If you don't care about that then its no problem. As a PC monitor its great, if theres no buzzing noise. Sometimes though if you switch to PS3 and then back to PC you will have no signal and have to restart. My guess is this monitor just doesn't like ATI cards.

I always found that I had more issues using port 2 on an ATI card than port 1. Unlike nVidia, they don't mark their ports, but the first port is the one FURTHEST away from the motherboard (ie. closest to the screw/latch for the PCI slot). Try that and see if you have better results in regards to black outs. This also helps with the HDMI > DVI > HDMI switching issues.

Also turn off "Alternate DVI operational mode" under CCC. I have had many issues in this mode with the FP241VW including no 1080p with HD 38x0 ATI cards.

Regards,

10e

Back