Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

Can anyone with very little/no blb please psot what the monitor looks like on a black screen in the dark? im trying to figure out if mine is worth returning.

Its great for everything except dark stuff, but im worried about replacing it with something even worse and having to start the lottery all over.

Can anyone with very little/no blb please psot what the monitor looks like on a black screen in the dark? im trying to figure out if mine is worth returning.

Its great for everything except dark stuff, but im worried about replacing it with something even worse and having to start the lottery all over.

And at what brightness level ... it's complicated.

at brightness level 35 please :)

I suggest the 2 of you start using the ignore function, before you both end up on the ban list

at brightness level 35 please :)

I don't have a camera and even if I did, I don't know how to take good pictures so this is the best I can do for you which is a cell phone camera with probably the wrong settings. Anyways it looks nowhere near like this in real life so see this crappyass picture and imagine it looking far better and that's the panel that I got.

gAgn7s8m.jpg

The lower right corner is not backlight bleed, just the typical IPS glow affecting that area commonly, the moment you look at it straight on it goes away like this.

b7yotLAm.jpg

I don't have a camera and even if I did, I don't know how to take good pictures so this is the best I can do for you which is a cell phone camera with probably the wrong settings. Anyways it looks nowhere near like this in real life so see this crappyass picture and imagine it looking far better and that's the panel that I got.

gAgn7s8m.jpg

The lower right corner is not backlight bleed, just the typical IPS glow affecting that area commonly, the moment you look at it straight on it goes away like this.

b7yotLAm.jpg

Ok thank you very much, seems like my unit is ok-ish.. no dead pixels, but blacklight bleed.. but after i moved it futher back on my desk it seems ok.

do you guys think there is a possibility on the panel lottery to get one without any BLB?

do you guys think there is a possibility on the panel lottery to get one without any BLB?

I don't think so. As you see above, it moves around depending on angle. Sort of a property of the panels. Everyone seems to have some in that particular corner.

I can say after returning my first panel that this can vary a bit. On my first panel, I had no perceivable BLB, but the IPS glow was atrocious. My second panel, and the one I have decided to keep, has a very small spot of BLB in the upper left corner, but much less obtrusive IPS glow.

As my second panel also has zero defective pixels and no dust/dirt spots under the matte coating, I am quite satisfied. The minor BLB is a non-issue for me. The horrendous yellow tinted glow that covered a quarter of the screen on my first panel is non-existent on this one.

So yeah, there is a very real lottery going on with these monitors. It is worth playing the RMA game until you get one that you are satisfied with. If you go through Newegg, I would advise signing up for a 3 month Premier membership so you don't have to pay for return shipping and a restocking fee.

I'm pretty sure getting one that is completely free of BLB and glow is impossible. When it comes down to how much is acceptable, well that is really going to be based on your personal tolerance for it. Some can tolerate it more than others, even if the BLB is worst than normal.

I can say after returning my first panel that this can vary a bit. On my first panel, I had no perceivable BLB, but the IPS glow was atrocious. My second panel, and the one I have decided to keep, has a very small spot of BLB in the upper left corner, but much less obtrusive IPS glow.

As my second panel also has zero defective pixels and no dust/dirt spots under the matte coating, I am quite satisfied. The minor BLB is a non-issue for me. The horrendous yellow tinted glow that covered a quarter of the screen on my first panel is non-existent on this one.

So yeah, there is a very real lottery going on with these monitors. It is worth playing the RMA game until you get one that you are satisfied with. If you go through Newegg, I would advise signing up for a 3 month Premier membership so you don't have to pay for return shipping and a restocking fee.

Any chance you can post a pic of yours? Ive gone throughout two and tho one was a bit worse they were pretty similar (one came from amazon the other from microcenter ).

The one i have is ok but if i could really get a much better one id go for it. Im just afraid ill start the lottery process and find mine was one of the better ones.

Here is my 2x XB270HU using Dead pixel buddy on a black screen

Brightness 25-26 , 120 cd/m2

http://1drv.ms/1Emr12F

Depending how you point the camera you will see the IPS glow . This will be mistaken for backlight bleed.

Here is another picture of both monitors with the lights off but using a flash pointed at the wall not the monitors.
The only other light in the room is the monitor LED and my Corsair K90 keyboard
http://1drv.ms/1N9njkb

I'm planning on getting 2 of these since I won't bother waiting for Asus that simply never comes. Just would like to know how serious issues are in latest batches?

Just so anyone is to lazy to click on links
First pick with flash on wall not hitting screen in a completely dark room except keyboard and LED on monitors

The other 3 images no flash in dark room.

Not plasma blacks main TV is a Samsung F8500 64" everything calibrated with i1display pro , D6500k , 120 Cd/m2, getting 1200-1250:1 contrast ratio "cant remember exact numbers" RGB curve is dead on straight

IMG_20150812_005420.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20150812_003635.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCN0152.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCN0151.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i think the IPS glow is what is making this monitor have a bad reputation , other than that its the best monitor out there for gaming and visual quality. 27" IPS Gsync/ ULMB 120hz, 2560x1440
I LIKE IT

I'm planning on getting 2 of these since I won't bother waiting for Asus that simply never comes. Just would like to know how serious issues are in latest batches?

i have june panels and thats what you should be getting .. its panel lottery for dead pixels .
calibration is the way to go

120cd/m2 brightness ranges from 25-27 brightness. RGB using user profile settings can be from 46-48 blue/green and red 50-52

so you will never have a perfect picture just by using someone elses profile.

I manged to get 1305:1 on a calibration but since this panel lottery your monitor can get 1150-1215:1 contrast ratio If you are getting below 1200 contrast ratio which this monitor is rated id return. But sine 95%of the owners dont do calibration they probably wont care because it is so minute

I can post some pictures tomorrow if you want of in game gaming. The anti glare is alot better than a glossy monitor no reflections. I like glossy too but like this just as much and dont miss it . I own a DS270 yamakasi with PDC and the perceived blacks look good on them . Those monitors exhibited green tinge even with calibration since no RGB control were on the monitor. These XB270HU have pure whites "I like it alot "

I just wish someday we can have a OLED computer monitor. I like infinite blacks on current OLED 55" tvs and previous Trinitron Sony CRTs . Would i go back to a CRT vs this monitor HELL NO

of course even with my yamakasi owned 2014-2015 July and my previous NEC 2690 1080p ATW-polarized owned from 2009-2014 i still would not go CRT. The XB270HU and future Asus 144hz IPS Gsync will be the best monitors until someone can solve the IPS glow and give us way better black levels like a OLED or plasma for a computer monitor

Last edited:
<snip drivel>

What I found interesting from Tom's was that Acer has other models with an adjustable blue power led, but our $800 model didn't get it! Eh. They were impressed with the range of brightness, and color after just OSD adjustments.

in the review it mention basically 1129.2:1 contrast ratio ULMB off
i cherry picked my monitors and am able to get 1200-1250:1 easily with perfect gamma curve 6500k

The quality control on this monitor is SO shitty that Amazon stopped selling it.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB270HU-...d|B00UPVXDA8[tid|14395609068196572[bbc|LEPRIX

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

Yeah, that's for calling me a liar for sharing information with you about how mine was TRUCKED.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Soo.....I was gonna pick one of these up this weekend at Microcenter.

Worth the gamble?

I have a Dell 2412m and a 2407.... and none of these issues.

I want to buy this monitor, but all the problems you guys mention... sigh.

NCIX has a replacement policy though, where they replace it 3 times then give you your money back if you are not happy, so I am curious if I should take the risk.

Has anybody tried the tapping/massaging method to clear up the backlight issues? It does work....

I've opened the panel on several of these monitors. It would seem that the bezel losens up and fixes some bleeding. I also used black electrical tape around the inside panel.

IPS glow is the culpurit that no one will get rid of.
I would agree this monitor has a lot off issues. Either backlight bleed , dead pixels, and also got one with dead purple pixels on a black screen.
I am satisfied with the monitors which it took me a few returns to get the one I want. Personally amazon can kiss my ass and will never buy a expensive computer parts from them again and this will probably be the last Acer I lproduct in own in my lifetime. What is funny Asus will be using the same panel 2 months from now and will result in the same issues
Dead pixels,IPS glow and the same backlight bleed inside a fancy bezel.

Last edited:
I know about the tapping/massage method for stuck pixels but not for backlight issues.

?

Lol no it won't work
Open the bezel tape it and reinstall bezel. It might help.. Reduce brightness to 26

Also just keep returning until you get the right one. Acer should be taught a lessen not to mess with consumers and their money. Don't send it to acerr during your return period. I forgot to mention I had one monitor where the backlight bleed was so excessive it was like looking through a telescope. I just can't believe these Korean.companies can't mass produce a meslely 27" oled for 800 bucks. Its because their whole goal is to milk the LCD technology and the consumer to the bitter end. I miss Trinitron black levels, LG 55" oled TV destroys my F8500 plasma black levels. If only Sony and Panasonic had teamed up over a year ago to start making OLED panels :(

Last edited:
Yeah seriously bring on the OLEDs. Was at microcenter last weekend to do some shopping for a Skylake build and they had a 55 inch OLED on display hooked up to the PC. Insanely beautiful image quality minus the nasty 1080p resolution. What they will need to work on though is motion blur as I opened the testUFO on it and the motion blur on it sucked thanks to sample and hold despite being OLED.

I just bought one from my local Microcenter, no apparent blacklight bleed issues and no dead pixels. Manufacture date: June 2015.

Fantastic monitor, this will have to do until OLED matures.

I just bought one from my local Microcenter, no apparent blacklight bleed issues and no dead pixels. Manufacture date: June 2015.

Fantastic monitor, this will have to do until OLED matures.

Agreed , june models have improved alot.
By the time OLED comes to our desks we will have 144hz 4k monitors with video cards faster than pascal which is already slated to destroy the 980ti in 6 months.

They will milk us to the bitter end with LED technology and no infinite blacks

Yeah seriously bring on the OLEDs. Was at microcenter last weekend to do some shopping for a Skylake build and they had a 55 inch OLED on display hooked up to the PC. Insanely beautiful image quality minus the nasty 1080p resolution. What they will need to work on though is motion blur as I opened the testUFO on it and the motion blur on it sucked thanks to sample and hold despite being OLED.

I saw an open box LG OLED about 5 months ago for 1700 plus tax. It was the 55" 1080p
They should be coming out this year with 4k OLED. The blacks destroyed my F8500 64" plasma along with the contrast , everything just pops. Once OLED can be bought for 2500.00 , 4k , 65" +i am selling the plasma, as long motion improves . Might be -2018 -2019 until that day comes .
Again sony and panasonic need to hurry up and compete. Korea is way ahead in terms of panel technology . Sad sad , not like the early 2000s when sony and panasonic ruled the tv market ,since the. the recession and faild products released by panasonic and sony cost them billions while samsung and LG are making billions

My 2 cents

I ordered 2 and both had at least one dead pixel and debris under the AG coating.

Returned one and RMAd other.

So, can people here tell me:

1. Did you find this monitor to be WORTH THE PURCHASE in the end for gaming?
2. Do you prefer GSynch or ULMB mode?
3. Do you switch between the two modes?
4. Is there a reason they cant do 3dVision from nVidia? Kinda wishes for that but whatever...

I am seriously thinking of buying this monitor from NCIX, they have a pretty good program for replacing faulty monitors (up to 3 times, for $50 extra), so I may take a gamble with this. I doubt the Asus version P279Q will be much better....

Plan is to hook it up to a new 980Ti and replace my Dell 2412m (which will become my second monitor and replace my 2407).

4. Is there a reason they cant do 3dVision from nVidia? Kinda wishes for that but whatever...

I am seriously thinking of buying this monitor from NCIX, they have a pretty good program for replacing faulty monitors (up to 3 times, for $50 extra), so I may take a gamble with this. I doubt the Asus version P279Q will be much better....

Plan is to hook it up to a new 980Ti and replace my Dell 2412m (which will become my second monitor and replace my 2407).

1. Depends on what you're coming from. If you already have an ROG Swift then I'd probably say no. I came from a VG248QE so the difference was massive. For you I'm sure the purchase is even more worth it since the Dell isn't even 144Hz to begin with
2. Since I can't get over 100+ fps in most games for ULMB I personally use G-Sync more.
3.I do switch to ULMB when I play non demanding games and just cap my fps at a solid 100
4.I honestly have no clue why but I've never gamed in 3D and it never interested me.

I am using a single 980 Ti with this monitor and getting around 80 fps in most games I play and I've been very satisfied with the single GPU performance with G-Sync and have felt no reason to go SLi.

I think i am the most experienced for your questions since i bought like 7 of these monitors and kept 2 lol.

HELL YES ! I have not experienced smooth gameplay since my Silicon graphics G520 trinitron CRT

2. Do you prefer GSynch or ULMB mode? I prefer ULMB turned on when playing Counter Strike CS GO . Some reason I feel like i have an edge and my scores sometimes show it. On Gsync it is butter smooth at 144hz. Everything else so far i prefer Gsync at 60hz or 144hz, depending on the game of course.

3. Do you switch between the two modes? Sometimes I do switch but most of the time no; i leave it on Gsync because its perfect at whatever frame rate the game was meant to be played at. If you can get away with more than 60hz yeah do it and leave it on gsync. Did i tell you i like gsync :) especially when a monitor is IPS , 144hz calibrated 1200:1 contrast ratio and perfect RGB curve. These panels are nice! The 980ti is perfect for 2560x1440 , however SLI would be alot better

Never really cared or used 3d vision , just because i own a 3d plasma 64". Anywy dont be afraid to jump into this monitor even if you get a few small pixels that dont fire. As long as they are not in the middle you are fine.

I am pretty sure Asus will have the same issues with IPS glow , dead pixels but just come with a prettier bezel. Other than not have OLED/plasma blacks this monitor is perfect for me for the next 2 years or until pascal has the ability to run 144hz gsync on 4k monitors. It will be a 1-2 years before a 4k 144hz monitor arrives with gsync that can be driven by a video card that can achieve 60-144 FPS
i think you get the drift

Back