Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

:eek:

wow. i wonder if simple packaging would help alleviate some of these problems. my new one is coming from NJ all the way to WA. if it's mailed in the manufacturer's box (like my last one was) then I am expecting it to arrive imperfect. Something as fragile as a monitor should be double padded/double boxed.

:eek:

wow. i wonder if simple packaging would help alleviate some of these problems. my new one is coming from NJ all the way to WA. if it's mailed in the manufacturer's box (like my last one was) then I am expecting it to arrive imperfect. Something as fragile as a monitor should be double padded/double boxed.

Yeah I mean, I want this because it is easier to read than my ROG Swift I use as myu main monitor. The ROG's matte finish is too hardcore.

By the looks of it this one didn't have an issue with the matte finish. Although it is hard to tell... I wish I could find someone selling a XB270hu and a XGH270hu in good condition. So I can sell/trade my swift for the combo of those 2. I just want the grain-free, the IPS colors are less of my worries.

This picture represents the color shift on my panel. The gray bar on the left is darker than the one on the right. Is this considered normal or acceptable? Would they look at me funny if I tried to return this? I know its not a perfect picture and blah blah, but it actually does represent the color difference I am seeing. It bugs me, but would YOU keep it?

Actually I challenge everyone to post a similar picture of their screen. I bet mine is worse than yours!

Mine is actually slightly darker on the right, and even has a little banding, if I am not mistaken. If it's pixel perfect, dude forget about it. I thought we covered the gray scale uniformity issue already, even on $$$$ pro screens.

IPS panels have typically always had problems with gray uniformity. If the backlight bleeding is minimal and you have no defective pixels I wouldn't risk the return for another one.

You aren't the first to tell me this. I think it finally sunk in tonight.

So I just got my refurbished XB270hu from Acer. Behold the innovation and QC from Acer at it's finest.

http://imgur.com/a/4RmU8

Also

So what do I win for this challenge?

Holy crap! Hey, those lines are so vivid and bright though. Joking aside, sorry for your troubles. That must be just...beyond frustrating to have to deal with.

Mine is actually slightly darker on the right, and even has a little banding, if I am not mistaken. If it's pixel perfect, dude forget about it. I thought we covered the gray scale uniformity issue already, even on $$$$ pro screens.

I needed to hear this. I also needed to be reminded of gray uniformity being a problem, yet again. I'm keeping the panel and will enjoy it. This is advertised as a gaming screen and it performs amazing in that regard, without any technical issues which similar screens have suffered. This thing isn't intended for photo work so its unfair to hold it to that standard. This product actually does what it sais on the tin, which is saying a lot these days. This issue is closed for me. Thanks.

Ouch on that packaging.
I am surprised a bit, mine came from America to Japan double boxed from Amazon.
The inner packaging of the inner box was quite thorough (styrofoam protected everything pretty well) then the inner box was surrounded by a decent amount of stiff paper so there was a buffer between the outer box and inner box.

The box arrived in fair shape (the inner box did look a bit scuffed but no real damage).

I feel for you though

I needed to hear this. I also needed to be reminded of gray uniformity being a problem, yet again. I'm keeping the panel and will enjoy it. This is advertised as a gaming screen and it performs amazing in that regard, without any technical issues which similar screens have suffered. This thing isn't intended for photo work so its unfair to hold it to that standard. This product actually does what it sais on the tin, which is saying a lot these days. This issue is closed for me. Thanks.

Have you seen the hatch pattern failure that all of these screens have? You'll sh*t bricks, hahaha.

Went from the Swift to this guy. While I really enjoy the colors, I have to say the difference in motion blur is pretty noticeable to me. Anyone else have that experience?

Went from the Swift to this guy. While I really enjoy the colors, I have to say the difference in motion blur is pretty noticeable to me. Anyone else have that experience?

I do not have a Swift, but I did have a 1ms TN panel before, the VG248QE, and at lower fps yes I am noticing much more motion blur. But that could be due to the fact that the monitor's response time is dependent on the frame rate...at least that's what I've read somewhere. So running this monitor at 60-70 fps results in a higher pixel response time while the 248QE was constant.

I do not have a Swift, but I did have a 1ms TN panel before, the VG248QE, and at lower fps yes I am noticing much more motion blur. But that could be due to the fact that the monitor's response time is dependent on the frame rate...at least that's what I've read somewhere. So running this monitor at 60-70 fps results in a higher pixel response time while the 248QE was constant.

but with much more overshoot, something I cant stand.

Just got my 2nd try from Newegg, and I'm happy with it. There's definitely some light bleed, mostly in the lower right, but really only noticeable with a black screen. Also one or two dead pixels, that I can totally live with. Still not sure it's worth the 800 bucks, but it is definitely a huge improvement over my 1080p Asus 60hz.

With GTX970s SLI, I'm having trouble getting Witcher to stay around 60fps on high, but other games are running great. Will look into getting the Witcher to run better. Even around 40fps it still looks nice with Gsync. Also, creating game art feels great on it. Loving that it's IPS!

This picture represents the color shift on my panel. The gray bar on the left is darker than the one on the right. Is this considered normal or acceptable? Would they look at me funny if I tried to return this? I know its not a perfect picture and blah blah, but it actually does represent the color difference I am seeing. It bugs me, but would YOU keep it?

Actually I challenge everyone to post a similar picture of their screen. I bet mine is worse than yours!

akptP0X.jpg

so as i mentioned ~1-2 months ago?

I had the EXACT same thing. yellowing on the left side of the screen compared to the right.

I had some dust/sand, some decent backlight bleeding, but this was the last straw.

yours looks like even worse than what I had though.

tigerdirect took it back.

I think the 1st batch were affected with yellowing, I have the 2nd batch and it looks nothing like that.

3rd batches are out on newegg and have improved even more.

oh and just for the record, IPS glow at a certain angle can cause that too.

going by the angle of the shadows on that pic tells me that you were more to the left, which is enough to produce IPS glow and cause anomalies.

I think the 1st batch were affected with yellowing, I have the 2nd batch and it looks nothing like that.

3rd batches are out on newegg and have improved even more.

oh and just for the record, IPS glow at a certain angle can cause that too.

going by the angle of the shadows on that pic tells me that you were more to the left, which is enough to produce IPS glow and cause anomalies.

which is kind of funny, because IPS is marketed as the "viewable from lots of angles!"

It's actually AHVA not IPS.

AHVA is IPS based technology, just different name calling.

which is kind of funny, because IPS is marketed as the "viewable from lots of angles!"

IPS glow does something different than shifting of colors like the TN's do, viewing angles on the Acer are fine in terms of color shifting.

Keep the FPS on the Acer to 120+ for best results.

Ya it seems to be better if I max it out. Unfortunately I have to turn my settings down a bit now.

Mine came in from amazon with no issues thankfully. April build date.

so as i mentioned ~1-2 months ago?

I had the EXACT same thing. yellowing on the left side of the screen compared to the right.

I had some dust/sand, some decent backlight bleeding, but this was the last straw.

yours looks like even worse than what I had though.

tigerdirect took it back.

So you got another one and it doesn't have the yellowing then?

So you got another one and it doesn't have the yellowing then?

no, i did a full return. sadly tigerdirect did not have any more stock of the XB270HU, the guy on the phone did ask if i had my eye on something else, but obviously nothing else has this monitors spec sheet.

im currently with my old QNIX. I miss G sync and just generally more smoothness most of all.

no, i did a full return. sadly tigerdirect did not have any more stock of the XB270HU, the guy on the phone did ask if i had my eye on something else, but obviously nothing else has this monitors spec sheet.

im currently with my old QNIX. I miss G sync and just generally more smoothness most of all.

That sucks. They have a new batch at Newegg right now if you want to give it another try. Supposedly all the issues are much better now, although no one has commented specifically on uniformity. Only a few people have spoken about uniformity in any detail regarding this monitor, either because people have great uniformity, or they don't notice it or care. Drives me nuts personally.

That sucks. They have a new batch at Newegg right now if you want to give it another try. Supposedly all the issues are much better now, although no one has commented specifically on uniformity. Only a few people have spoken about uniformity in any detail regarding this monitor, either because people have great uniformity, or they don't notice it or care. Drives me nuts personally.

My April Build seems to have pretty good uniformity. I really do not notice much of a difference across the screen with all the solid colours I have tested.
The one minor issue I have is light bleed on the lower right which will cause a slight difference in colour (obviously) but it is not a deal breaker and I just keep that in mind when doing colour sensitive tasks

D.

Well, my May 2015 build has good uniformity, acceptable backlight bleed.. BUT it has 2 easily visible dust specks and 2 dead pixels. This one is going back. Such a shame. :(

Just got one today from Microcenter. No dead/stuck pixels, colors look great out of the box, not much calibration needed except turning down the brightness. Also no visible IPS glow around the corners. bought a 2 year service plan from them in case something creeps up. April 2015 build date.

Just got one today from Microcenter. No dead/stuck pixels, colors look great out of the box, not much calibration needed except turning down the brightness. Also no visible IPS glow around the corners. bought a 2 year service plan from them in case something creeps up. April 2015 build date.

Lucky. I hope the replacement I get is the same as yours. :)

I also got the Acer monitor. It's a nice monitor and I really don't want to go through the big return trip with the retailer I got it from.

The picture ain't perfect. I toke it with my LG G3 and gave it treatment in photoshop so it looked more like the real thing. I only have it in the right corner. For the most part I don't see it unless I play dark games.

I feel like the default gamma on this should be the 2.4 / 2.5 I cant remember which one was the closest to 2.2. The first time I was using this I was like damn these colors look washed out..

are these common settings on a monitor? I've only ever used Dell Monitors and they were our of the box 2.2 gamma basically

Now that I have had my monitor for some time, I brought the colourimeter from work and calibrated the white balance. On the clean side I can get a dE of 0.5. With the same settings the yellow tinted left side measures as dE 4.5 :mad: It's quite annoying in desktop usage and the talk about newer batches being better has me more annoyed. Mine is made in March. Anyone have experience dealing with Acer Europe customer service?

Had a weird issue last night, everything got rather fuzzy on the screen. Suspected a video card/driver issue so i reinstalled drivers, reseated GPUs etc but nothing would fix it. Plugged in another monitor and it was fine... when i plugged in the Acer again it was of course fixed (duh, power cycling it). Anyone else had this?

Had a weird issue last night, everything got rather fuzzy on the screen. Suspected a video card/driver issue so i reinstalled drivers, reseated GPUs etc but nothing would fix it. Plugged in another monitor and it was fine... when i plugged in the Acer again it was of course fixed (duh, power cycling it). Anyone else had this?

To me this sounds like a monitor CABLE issue.
So when you unplugged the cable then plugged it back in you remedied the situation.
Just keep an eye on your cable (quality, if it gets loose etc) and if it happens again try to unplug/plug the cable back in and/or switch cables with a new one.

I've had that happen before when I had too much torque on the cable dp cable.

Yeah resolution was fine, it was rather strange. It almost looked like resolution was off so thats the first thing i checked. Ill see if it happens again. hasnt happened since.

I lied to you all. I'm not keeping it. I bought another one AHAHAHA! Wish me luck for GOD'S SAKE.

New panel is a winner. I have found:

No dead pixels
No dust or dirt
Minimal backlight bleed
Standard IPS glow

And uniformity...its not perfect, as no panel is. But this one is much better than the other one. Seriously. Its not all half yellow and crap. I'm totally done now, finally.

New panel is a winner. I have found:

No dead pixels
No dust or dirt
Minimal backlight bleed
Standard IPS glow

And uniformity...its not perfect, as no panel is. But this one is much better than the other one. Seriously. Its not all half yellow and crap. I'm totally done now, finally.

May build?

Back