Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

*sigh* Just getting done playing some GTA on it. Game looks great and G-Sync works for the most part! I didnt think the jump to 1440 would be such an improvement, but it looks great.

Now to box it back up and hope the next one is in better shape! Gonna give it one more chance, if it's no good I'll just get a refund and wait for something better to come along. *fingers crossed*

Last edited:
Here is another pic:

game Is only using 50% of GPU power on both of my 980's in SLI, that means I got a lot of headroom for AA and Super Sampling.

Are you getting equal fps to a refresh rate? Because it can also mean bad scaling.

Are you getting equal fps to a refresh rate? Because it can also mean bad scaling.

fluctuates from 120's to 140's, most likely cuz FPS is capped, maybe if i turn gsync off i might find out about scaling, but i read that you cant turn gsync off with the latest NVidia driver.

This Acer having bad build quality is way way overblown, Its mostly coming from trolls and Asus Swift fans who feel their panel is superior.

Only thing you might not like is the glossy finish, that is all.

No, YOU are the troll here, misleading people to think that they'll get a good build quality for their 800$..

The truth is that the build quality (we're not talking the panel quality, but the monitor around it) is very bad. I have personally never seen such a bad build quality, not even on cheap monitors.

I have handled a lot of monitors as i'm responsible for all IT equipment in the company i work for.

This monitors casing is very flimsy, fragile and feels like it could break if you touch it too much. There is a lot of power button light bleed through the buttons and you can easily peek inside to the electronics there.

The panel itself is not supported in the corners of the monitor which means that you can push the panel up to 6mm inside the monitor in the corners. This happens easily when you're cleaning the panel.

So, it IS true, the build quality IS bad, especially at this high price point.

ELVN, he must of bought it off the street or ebay with fake stickers.

he says low quality LCD panel, lol, orly? I didn't know low quality panels can do 144hz and have a IPS screen.

kid never posted any pics, most likely a troll, his only 5 posts on HH have been in this thread, what more proof you need.

he also claims that NEC 20wgx2 is a better gaming monitor than this Acer, wow, lol, just look at his only 5 posts on HH and you'll find that remark.

If you tried actually reading my post you would notice that i do not state anywhere that the panel is a low quality panel. neither do i state that my old NEC is a better gaming panel than this one, which of course it is not! Try reading my post again please..

Just because i have only made a small amount of posts on this forum does in no way invalidate my points?

And if it makes you happy, here's my background story:

I'm 33 years old and got my first PC back when i was 11 years old
I have an education in electronics
I have worked as a hardware and software developer for 8 years, developing autopilots for ships, motor controllers and other equipment. Most of the equipment has been programmed in Motorola assembler for their HCSxx series MCU's and some of the larger projects with more CPU power has been programmed in ANSI C and C#.

For the past 3 years I've been working in a science park where i'm responsible for all IT related matters. This is end user support, hardware support, network design and running our 40 servers.

In my spare time i have my own company where i provide IT support for private and business clients.

you gave a sort of small review of this monitor based on a defective unit that you received, that was your mistake.

here is what you said:

For the high price the XB270HU simply falls short on so many accounts:

- Extremely poor build quality:
- Flimsy casing which feels like it can break by a gentle touch with your little finger
- The panel sits so loose in the casing that you can push it almost a centimeter inside the casing by pressing gently on the panel in the corners.
- Power LED light bleeds out between the buttons and you can look inside to the electronics by the power led due to the large cracks between the buttons.
- Low quality lcd panel:
- Excessive amounts of IPS glow. Much much worse on the xb270hu than my old NEC 20WGX2 Pro
- Yellow tint on the left side of the panel from top to bottom the first 5mm
- Large amounts of lightbleed
- Large amounts of defective pixels
- ULMB mode randomly stops working (stops strobing the backlight when turned on)

I returned mine and got a refund from the dealer. It was even the dealer who recommended a refund because they had received an unusual high amount of RMA orders on this monitor and they could not guarantee me that i would ever receive a non-defective monitor!! (this was the dealers words, not mine!)
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041544922&highlight=#post1041544922

ohh and, next time, post pics if you want credibility, because i still don't believe you ever owned one, thank you, and have a nice day.

Last edited:
lol people are so dramatic and embellish.

Push the panel in 6mm? ya, no. Granted the power LED is a poor design, but the monitor case is not nearly as bad as some make it out to be unless their panel isn't installed into the case properly.

"Flimsy casing which feels like it can break by a gentle touch with your little finger" one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

I'm using the predator right now and it's just fine in the respect of the case. Not as nice as the Swift but not terrible either.

Will post a comparison between it and the Swift hopefully this weekend.

lol people are so dramatic and embellish.

Push the panel in 6mm? ya, no. Granted the power LED is a poor design, but the monitor case is not nearly as bad as some make it out to be unless their panel isn't installed into the case properly.

"Flimsy casing which feels like it can break by a gentle touch with your little finger" one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

I'm using the predator right now and it's just fine in the respect of the case. Not as nice as the Swift but not terrible either.

Will post a comparison between it and the Swift hopefully this weekend.
I totally agree, not as fancy as the Swift, but the panel is beautiful... I mean, who stares at the bezel and the stand during gaming.

great to hear that you doing a comparison soon.

The panel was pretty that's for sure, I'm not sure if it is Acer or another company doing the assembly, but they need to get their QC in check. At $800.00 it shouldn't be a lottery :(

Mine only had one dead pixel for sure (I think), there was another one that was questionable but it had a plethora of dust specs underneath the film.

As far as build quality goes I didn't notice anything that flabbergasted me. Yeah, the red ring was ugly, but wasn't unbearable. And pushing on the panel (trying to revive a pixel) it didn't give 6MM by any means.

you gave a sort of small review of this monitor based on a defective unit that you received, that was your mistake.

here is what you said:

For the high price the XB270HU simply falls short on so many accounts:

- Extremely poor build quality:
- Flimsy casing which feels like it can break by a gentle touch with your little finger
- The panel sits so loose in the casing that you can push it almost a centimeter inside the casing by pressing gently on the panel in the corners.
- Power LED light bleeds out between the buttons and you can look inside to the electronics by the power led due to the large cracks between the buttons.
- Low quality lcd panel:
- Excessive amounts of IPS glow. Much much worse on the xb270hu than my old NEC 20WGX2 Pro
- Yellow tint on the left side of the panel from top to bottom the first 5mm
- Large amounts of lightbleed
- Large amounts of defective pixels
- ULMB mode randomly stops working (stops strobing the backlight when turned on)

I returned mine and got a refund from the dealer. It was even the dealer who recommended a refund because they had received an unusual high amount of RMA orders on this monitor and they could not guarantee me that i would ever receive a non-defective monitor!! (this was the dealers words, not mine!)
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041544922&highlight=#post1041544922

ohh and, next time, post pics if you want credibility, because i still don't believe you ever owned one, thank you, and have a nice day.

now if only NEC could make this type of monitor . They have superb build quality, Personally i think Acer is just as bad as LG or maybe alittle worse

The panel was pretty that's for sure, I'm not sure if it is Acer or another company doing the assembly, but they need to get their QC in check. At $800.00 it shouldn't be a lottery :(

Mine only had one dead pixel for sure (I think), there was another one that was questionable but it had a plethora of dust specs underneath the film.

As far as build quality goes I didn't notice anything that flabbergasted me. Yeah, the red ring was ugly, but wasn't unbearable. And pushing on the panel (trying to revive a pixel) it didn't give 6MM by any means.

I'm not a huge fan of the bezel's gloss texture. Using VESA dual monitor arm, so the not-so-beautiful stand does not bother me. The displays do look great though. Need some more graphics horsepower me thinks.

my panel is perfect, no dead pixels, no dust and the backlight/clouding is almost as pristine as my u3011 but the usb on the monitor stopped working...

I don't want to risk playing the panel lottery again so I'm just going to keep it but it bums me out

my panel is perfect, no dead pixels, no dust and the backlight/clouding is almost as pristine as my u3011 but the usb on the monitor stopped working...

I don't want to risk playing the panel lottery again so I'm just going to keep it but it bums me out

Smart move, I think.

Just got mine in the mail from Newegg yesterday, and it was delivered in the manufacturer's box. Not that box, within a brown cardboard box, which I would have expected. Is that normal?

Either way, there's a greyish smudge about 6 inches long on the top right portion of the screen. Seems to be damaged pixels? Anyone see this before? (sorry for the potatographs)

DSC_0390.jpg

DSC_0391.jpg

Just got mine in the mail from Newegg yesterday, and it was delivered in the manufacturer's box. Not that box, within a brown cardboard box, which I would have expected. Is that normal?

Either way, there's a greyish smudge about 6 inches long on the top right portion of the screen. Seems to be damaged pixels? Anyone see this before? (sorry for the potatographs)

That's a bummer man. Sorry it turned out like that. Definitely time to ship that one back.

Yeah I figured as much :(

Any idea what that is though? I've seen dead pixels before, and this looks different. Maybe pressure damage?

At least Newegg has a good RMA policy.

Yikes. Do you see the mark when the screen is off? Is there damage to the anti-glare coating? I'd say something either pressed or scraped against it.

To answer your other question, yes, these get shipped in the manufacturer's box.

Yeah from the pics it definitely appears to be some form of rubbing or pressure damage. Likely occurred in transit.

Amazon says mine will be arriving tomorrow. Are there any tests I should do to make sure everything is okay? I usually just throw up a white background to check for pixels and then a black background with the room lights off for any backlight bleeding. I haven't bought a monitor in half a decade so I'm not sure if there's a better way to do things now.

Also, any ICC profiles I should use or immediate settings I need to change or is the monitor good out of the box.

Yikes. Do you see the mark when the screen is off? Is there damage to the anti-glare coating? I'd say something either pressed or scraped against it.

To answer your other question, yes, these get shipped in the manufacturer's box.

No, when it's off it looks fine. Only shows up when I have a black or dark screen up when it's on.

Yeah from the pics it definitely appears to be some form of rubbing or pressure damage. Likely occurred in transit.

The packaging is totally fine, so I wonder i this might have happened prior to it being packaged. Really poor QC on Acer's end. Dead pixels are one thing, but shipping a monitor with pressure damage is inexcusable.

for all those who have issues, please post pictures of your monitor so we can take a look at it, cant come in here asking for help and opinion without posting pics.

narticus, your monitor has to go, back to newegg, I would feel very pissed if I were you.

oh and, that minecraft looking keyboard, what is that?

Last edited:
for all those who have issues, please post pictures of your monitor so we can take a look at it, cant come in here asking for help and opinion without posting pics.

narticus, your monitor has to go, back to newegg, I would feel very pissed if I were you.

oh and, that minecraft looking keyboard, what is that?

I half expected this monitor to have something wrong with it after reading through this thread, so I'm not that pissed. Also, my building has UPS pickup, so all I have to do is throw the prepaid label from Newegg on the box and leave it at my front desk. I'm willing to do that over and over again until I have a perfect monitor.

The keyboard is from WASD and I freaking love it!: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

Yeah I figured as much :(

Any idea what that is though? I've seen dead pixels before, and this looks different. Maybe pressure damage?

At least Newegg has a good RMA policy.

I half expected this monitor to have something wrong with it after reading through this thread, so I'm not that pissed. Also, my building has UPS pickup, so all I have to do is throw the prepaid label from Newegg on the box and leave it at my front desk. I'm willing to do that over and over again until I have a perfect monitor.

The keyboard is from WASD and I freaking love it!: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

Looks like damage to the polarization layer. Just send it back and get another, no big deal.

Does standard vsync at 144hz (no triple buffering or Gsync) 100% definitely work at 36 > 48 > 72 > 144hz vsync intervals? This is a big thing for me if I buy a 144hz screen and use on a different brand of GPU without Gsync, so I want to use standard vsync with 36 > 48 > 72 > 144hz intervals and not to 36 > 72 > 144hz? Can anyone confirm this or test and confirm? Thanks

Let me know how your Amazon monitors turn out. I have one at home for tonight and will report tomorrow

From the issues I've seen here and on overclock.net it looks like I got pretty lucky with mine, only one stuck pixel to the very far right which I have to really scout for to find. Backlight bleed is minimal, it looks no worse than the Qnix I'm coming from. G-sync is awesome in GTA, blows me away every time I load it up! Even makes the 60fps lock in Wolfenstein look incredibly smooth.

This monitor paired with a Titan-X is gaming nirvana for me. :)

yea, for me too, I am using two 980's in SLI and earlier I disabled SLI because I wanted to see what lower fps would look and feel like with Gsync.

played bf4 maxed around 70fps and the game still felt incredibly smooth and fast just like it did at 144fps with SLI.

G-Sync is a incredible tech and it deserves much more attention.

Yay, mine just arrived from Amazon. My panel has zero dead pixels and minimal backlight bleeding. A little bit in the lower right but that might be from the blindingly bright led power button - I need to tape that sucker up.

Compared to my HP ZR30W which is a beefy piece of construction, the Acer build quality is not bad. A little tacky with all the gloss but hardly falling apart like some previous users were claiming. There's no give of 6mm when I try to push in the screen like one other guy was saying either (he must have been gripping the back of the monitor and pushing in the screen with his thumbs really hard like those iphone 6 bend tests cause my screen has no give).

I'm coming from an HP ZR30W and the Acer screen definitely feels smaller but it's not the drastic change from when I tried out the 24" Asus last year. I think I can live with the 27" screen size if the gaming performance is worthwhile enough.

Gonna play some GTA V and TF2 to see how the g-sync hype holds up.

The one I got from amazon was fucking terrible. I am sending it back and keeping the one from newegg.

looks like its mostly just a gamble.

after using this screen since Tue, I am still in shock and awe mode.

I don't know if I could ever go back to monitors without Gsync, It truly is a game changer.

after using this screen since Tue, I am still in shock and awe mode.

I don't know if I could ever go back to monitors without Gsync, It truly is a game changer.

Same here. Screen tearing was something I always just lived with and having it be completely gone from games is awesome. Looking to upgrade my 4k monitor to a gsync version as well.

It's amazing how after all these years we've been stuck with crap just by shear laziness of the industry and happenstance.

In reality G-Sync or similar could have come out a decade ago.

Just got one of these from Amazon today.

There's a solid red vertical line down the right side of the screen.

Let's tally up the score:

* 1 Acer 28" G-Sync whose backlight shit out
* 3 defective Asus ROG Swifts that got blurry after a couple of months
* 1 Acer 27" IPS G-Sync with a red line

What an AWESOME industry.

Just put in a refund/RMA from Amazon. Fuck these shitty Chinese companies. I'm out. Not buying another LCD for a long time (if ever). By the time I cool down, hopefully they won't even make LCDs anymore.

Same here. Screen tearing was something I always just lived with and having it be completely gone from games is awesome. Looking to upgrade my 4k monitor to a gsync version as well.

not only screen tearing, but the stutter is completely gone, the games just run smooth at all times, even when fps rise and dip, totally changes the game experience.

It's amazing how after all these years we've been stuck with crap just by shear laziness of the industry and happenstance.

In reality G-Sync or similar could have come out a decade ago.

I agree too, it should have been out long time ago.

Best part was when I disabled one of my 980's and maxed the games out so they hit around 40-50fps with a lot of fps fluctuation, and to my surprise it still moved silky smooth without any lag or that jittery look and feeling.

Unfortunately to all others who haven't tried it yet, no one can be told what the G-Sync is. You have to see it for yourself.:D

Just got one of these from Amazon today.

There's a solid red vertical line down the right side of the screen.

Let's tally up the score:

* 1 Acer 28" G-Sync whose backlight shit out
* 3 defective Asus ROG Swifts that got blurry after a couple of months
* 1 Acer 27" IPS G-Sync with a red line

What an AWESOME industry.

Just put in a refund/RMA from Amazon. Fuck these shitty Chinese companies. I'm out. Not buying another LCD for a long time (if ever). By the time I cool down, hopefully they won't even make LCDs anymore.

your loss if true, which I doubt you ever bought one since you didn't post a pic of this red line across the screen.

Back