Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

I need to plastidip the base of the monitor. The high gloss shit is pissing me off. Maybe see about spraying the bezel too while I'm at it.

I sort of cant believe i just clicked "buy" on something that expensive.

its in stock at tigerdirect.

Can you let me know when yours gets processed and shipped? I placed my order Thursday morning and I still haven't received an invoice. I opened up a ticket, asked when it would ship, and they told me "ETA: 4/23/15". So either it's going to ship on the 23rd, which is ridiculous - or they expect it to be here by the 23rd, which is still a bit ridiculous.

EDIT: I started seeing various people on other forums saying they placed their order more recently than I did (such as yesterday) and they already have a shipping #. So I cancelled my order. Even though it's more likely that I'd get more order from TigerDirect than if I scouted for fresh stock, I simply don't want to imagine the nightmare of the RMA process with them. And I don't like supporting terrible businesses.

Last edited:
So I turned on my Acer this morning and the resolution was like a 480p youtube video. Nvidia control panel said it was at 1440p 144hz. I switched it to 100hz and the monitor couldn't find a signal. I restarted the computer and switched back to 144hz and everything is fine now. Is this an issue with the gsync module?

I put it down to driver related hiccups. there were used to be times where DSR wouldn't scale down on a monitor, so I ended up DDU'ing the drivers and reinstalling it (but this was mostly for good measure, I don't think I ever tried rebooting).

To all the people who got theirs from Antonline via Amazon, and found it to be defective, did you file a claim with Amazon? I did, and granted it's only been 36 hours, but I haven't heard a word back. How long do Amazon claims usually take?

FYI I got mine from Acer directly and got a nearly perfect monitor. I figured the less shipping and changing of hands the better. Minor backlight bleed in the bottom right but surprisingly VERY little IPS glow! I am amazed at that. I previously had a Benq GW2760HS and while the contrast and colors were fantastic, there was gamma shift towards the edges that resulted in a white glow. This Acer with approximately half the contrast ratio looks just as good in a moderately lit room.

Gsync is a dream come true. I switched to the 100hz blur reduction and was impressed by the results. Very little crosstalk. As good or better than my XL2411Z. However, motion clarity was obviously worse but by no means poor. It was definitely an improvement even on the 144hz. Of course I hate tearing and so am sticking with the 144 Gsync.

One other thing I noticed, and tftcentral mentions it, is that there seems to be a tiny amount of input lag added with Gsync. It's only apparent when switching to the blur reduction or regular 144hz without Gsync. Very very minor, but if you're looking for the fastest possible response you're going to have to still deal with screen tearing.

Best monitor I've owned to date!

One other thing I noticed, and tftcentral mentions it, is that there seems to be a tiny amount of input lag added with Gsync

Well, any time you enable some sort of sync (synchronization) there's lag added by definition ... but at 144Hz it's bliss!

Got mine in the mail today. Ordered from a Amazon marketplace seller (Brooklyn Parkway). Luckily I haven't found any defects aside from normal IPS glow.

1440p is a huge upgrade from 1080p. However, I think I'm hitting the 2gb VRAM ceiling on my 670s. Sucks because they still have plenty of horsepower, but I'll probably start looking at some 970s or a 980.

Well I am late to the party. Got mine last week but haven't much time for it yet. Here's a shot of my panel in a dark room, for some reason my phone camera makes it look WAY WAY worst than it actually is in person. Man I sure miss this PPI, everything looks so much better compared to my unscaled 28 inch 4k monitor

0XOA6Va.jpg

Last edited:
A quick question about high HZ monitors,

Can you create a custom resolution with any refresh rate between say 40 and 144 in nvidia control panel and the monitor will sync to that?
Lets say 2560x1440 @ 55Hz, will it sync?

Can you let me know when yours gets processed and shipped? I placed my order Thursday morning and I still haven't received an invoice. I opened up a ticket, asked when it would ship, and they told me "ETA: 4/23/15". So either it's going to ship on the 23rd, which is ridiculous - or they expect it to be here by the 23rd, which is still a bit ridiculous.

EDIT: I started seeing various people on other forums saying they placed their order more recently than I did (such as yesterday) and they already have a shipping #. So I cancelled my order. Even though it's more likely that I'd get more order from TigerDirect than if I scouted for fresh stock, I simply don't want to imagine the nightmare of the RMA process with them. And I don't like supporting terrible businesses.

mine shipped.

there was also a 10% off the whole cart coupon i had <12 hrs after my order, but they didn't want to add it, oh well.

It just disappeared from Amazon. Was just going to pre-order it. hmm...

Can you create a custom resolution with any refresh rate between say 40 and 144 in nvidia control panel and the monitor will sync to that?

noooo

Hm You could use any refresh rate limiter set to 55 fps for same effect ?

Well I got mine last Friday from Acer. I have a very small dead pixel on the bottom right, right above the windows 8 clock area. Didn't notice until I looked for it. I also have a dust speck? in the lower left, never really notice it unless I search either.

Some backlight bleed in the bottom right that is not noticeable after calibration with my i1Display Pro.

I also own a fw900.

Overall, for $800. I wouldn't expect any pixel problems. I feel like it's worth it, the added real estate of 1440p is nice and so is this ULMB @ 100hz. It feels nice. I haven't tried gsync yet.

I'll probably keep my fw900 but I'm using this as my main monitor for now.

I wouldn't worry about a dead pixel around the edges. My über-nec has one at the very top, I never notice it. At long as it isn't in the central working area.

Well I got mine last Friday from Acer. I have a very small dead pixel on the bottom right, right above the windows 8 clock area. Didn't notice until I looked for it. I also have a dust speck? in the lower left, never really notice it unless I search either.

Some backlight bleed in the bottom right that is not noticeable after calibration with my i1Display Pro.

I also own a fw900.

Overall, for $800. I wouldn't expect any pixel problems. I feel like it's worth it, the added real estate of 1440p is nice and so is this ULMB @ 100hz. It feels nice. I haven't tried gsync yet.

I'll probably keep my fw900 but I'm using this as my main monitor for now.

I swore I had a dead pixel around that exact same area as well, then i wiped it and it went away lol

I know, right? It's the entire point of buying this monitor, gsync + 144 + ahva.

For me the entire point of this monitor is for 1440p IPS with ULMB. I play in a completely dark room so the brightness issue isn't really much of an issue for me. G Sync is nice and all but whenever I can, I choose motion clarity over no tearing.

If you'd waited you wouldn't have had to pay the G-Synch tax.

Matching framerate to refresh with G-Synch just about eliminates motion blur, BTW.

Matching framerate to refresh with G-Synch just about eliminates motion blur, BTW.

What? G Sync doesn't get rid of motion blur even if you're capped at 144Hz. You need backlight strobing to eliminate blur, and that CANNOT be used with G Sync.

Matching frame rate to refresh with G-Synch just about eliminates motion blur, BTW.

G-sync just matches the frame rate to the hz. It eliminates judder and tearing as well as "stops" from frame rate sinkholes.
Blurbusters shows some good simulations of what it does:
http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview/

In fact, the idea and scenario of "g-sync makes lower fps just fine" actually increases blur. The lower your frame rate, the more blur you will see.
Running a g-sync monitor at lower fps, for example 60fps average and less, is basically running a low hz monitor with the baseline 60hz-fps amount of smearing blur and more detail lost, or even worse at lower fps or during lower fps swings. This acer's response time is also said to increase the lower the hz. So at 60hz you are back up from 5.x ms to 8.x ms, and it might get even worse at lower fps-hz. Additionally at lower fps you would be missing out on the greater motion definition and motion path articulation that higher fps-hz provides.

That said, 100fps-hz and higher average on a low response time, 120hz-144hz g-sync monitor allows you to take your roller coaster of fps outside of that average without any screen aberrations. So you can ride into 120's and 130's, and down lower below 100's. At 100fpshz+ the screen blur is more of a soften blur within the mask of onscreen objects, sort of like a fuzzy vibration blur. It's pretty tight relatively but text and texture detail is still lost. On a lot of games I can get 105+ average fps on very high settings using dual 780ti sc's in sli (on my rog swift 2560x1440 144hz g-sync).

Like elvn said, high FPS and G-Synch just about eliminates motion blur.

I guess I should have been more literal. 144 frames per second at 144hz leads to all but imperceptible blur in FPS games. I guess it's a good thing you're not trying to read while going for the head shot.

For me the entire point of this monitor is for 1440p IPS with ULMB. I play in a completely dark room so the brightness issue isn't really much of an issue for me. G Sync is nice and all but whenever I can, I choose motion clarity over no tearing.

I tried ULMB @ 100Hz and I couldn't notice anything different while gaming ... maybe I'm not looking for the right details, or I need a side-by-side to make it more obvious perhaps. I did note the effect dragging a window on the desktop.

It might be subtle enough that it's difficult to see outright but something that you'd feel--like less fatigue on your eyes over time, for example.

James Freeman said:

noooo

Wait a second... you CAN'T sync to any refresh rate????? :confused:
Can anyone confirm please, it's very important for me.

I tried ULMB @ 100Hz and I couldn't notice anything different while gaming ... maybe I'm not looking for the right details, or I need a side-by-side to make it more obvious perhaps. I did note the effect dragging a window on the desktop.

I will admit the difference is pretty hard to notice unless you are playing some very fast paced shooters like Unreal Tournament and so most of the time I AM using G Sync instead of ULMB. But there is a difference though, heres 144Hz G Sync: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/acer_xb270hu/pursuit_overdrive_3a.jpg while this is 100Hz ULMB: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/acer_xb270hu/100hz_ulmb_2.JPG

The missing frames are just too noticeable on ULMB for me. Now if they doubled the frames first, before strobing, AND did Gsync, that would rule. Coming from someone who's done Lightboost on the t2420xl, strobing on the fg2421, and ulmb on the Swift...I think Gsync is the a much smoother and enjoyable experience.

Hit my base with 2 coats of plastidip. Takes a nice edge off the mirror finish it is by default. I have an incandescent light behind my monitor to provide backlighting, and without the plastidip I could see the filament.

Now it's just a light blob:

I could probably plastidip the bezel too, but I don't have any lighting in front of the screen so the bezel looks pure black to me.

A tax is when you pay more for a feature you want? Interesting concept.

At 120fps-hz (average) it cuts the blur by around 50%, and at 144fps-hz it cuts it 60%. Both are a huge difference from lower hz smear blur, being more like a fuzz/vibration blur - but they aren't full motion clarity. The higher motion definition and path articulation combined with appreciable blur reduction "within the shadow masks" of the onscreen elements is great overall though.

So depending on the game, at 100 - 110 fps aver you are just under 50% blur reduction but might swing into the 120's and 130's for 50% to more toward 60% reduction at times, and lower down to like 75 - 80 -90 fps at times (blurrier, ~ 40% reduction?). On easier to render games 144fps-hz cut-off is pretty glassy looking smoothness too and fairly tight at 60% reduction.

The texture detail and depth via bump mapping otherwise lost would instead maintained with ulmb mode but the strobing just mutes the screen way too much for me even at pulse widths of 50 or 70, and would require even higher frame rates than my 105 fps ave at very high settings. If they started releasing much brighter monitors for strobe mode usage that might change things and I'd consider it for very high frame rate easier to render games. ULMB is dull/muted and dim. I also doubt I'd like 100hz version of strobing on this acer personally.

Last edited:
Back