Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

If you think that long exposure picture posted looks anything like it would in real life you are clueless. You CANNOT take an image representing what you are seeing in real life in such a scenario without a very specific camera setup. Reference attending photography 101 at your nearest community college.
It's precisely due to my knowledge about photography that enables me to look at that photo and recognize how it looks in the photo versus what it looks like in front of him and acknowledge that his is exhibiting glow without being a pedantic asshole about it.

its not false. I can see the glow, its not like I'm making shit up. I can see the glow, the picture might exaggerate the severity but its still visible to me, why else would I want to take a picture and show people ?
Exactly

Obviously the photo making it look 10x worse.. but looks unacceptable for a £700 monitor.
My thoughts on it, as well.

When is Amazon and other retailers going to get this monitor? What is taking other places so long to get it in stock? Is it officially not out yet or something?

its not false. I can see the glow, its not like I'm making shit up. I can see the glow, the picture might exaggerate the severity but its still visible to me, why else would I want to take a picture and show people ?

Of course there is IPS glow. It's an IPS panel. Might exaggerate? That picture isn't even on the same planet of what it would look like in real life.

OK, so I am a bit ornery today. People post inaccurate pictures like that and try to pass them off as accurate and it gets old.

It's precisely due to my knowledge about photography that enables me to look at that photo and recognize how it looks in the photo versus what it looks like in front of him and acknowledge that his is exhibiting glow without being a pedantic asshole about it.

So we've gone from this is what it looks like in real life to you deciphering what it looks like through interpretation. :rolleyes: Guess what, I could take a camera and make any monitor on the planet look like garbage.

Last edited:
While that picture has clearly been overexposed, you can still see that it has back light bleed that would be noticeable in a dark scene in a dark room ruining the experience. Something that should not be expected for a 27" 2560x1440 monitor of this price point in today's market.

Last year I was tempted to get an LG ultra wide monitor, but no deal, back light bleed lottery. Seems to be the same case for this monitor, and for a lot of other monitors lately.

So we've gone from this is what it looks like in real life to you deciphering what it looks like through interpretation. :rolleyes: Guess what, I could take a camera and make any monitor on the planet look like garbage.
Not sure if we've "gone from" anything because that implies I changed my position when in fact my first post about it stated that the accuracy of the picture is playing second fiddle to the problem he's trying to tell us he is seeing:
criticizing the camera/lens only makes sense if the picture looks significantly different from what his eyes are seeing and presumably he wouldn't have posted the picture if it was wildly inaccurate

telling the guy to take a camera class and learn better photography is useless noise

I have expensive Nikon gear and the skills to make a beautiful shot of many things, yet I'd snap a photo with my iPhone and upload it because it's next to me.

In beginner's courses, the instructor will tell you that the best gear doesn't matter make a picture, the photographer does

the other principle you'll learn is that the best camera is the one you are going to use.
there's no worse shot than the one that wasn't taken because you were busy digging in your bag for the right gear.

I have so much high quality glass it's somewhat embarrassing given the ratio of the cost to use I've gotten out of it because 99% of my pictures are taken with a cell phone. That's the reality in the 21st century.

There's only one helpful response to his situation: if the panel bothers you take it back because you're going to be staring at it every time you use your computer for years to come. it won't get better and it will, over time, become worse.

So I've got my monitor hooked up. There's a pixel near the edge on the mid-top left that's black on a red screen, but it's green on white. On blue it's completely gone. It's hard for me to notice. I tried using a pixel unstuck tool but haven't had luck after 10 minutes of usage, might try to leave it on more.

Unfortunately near the right edge of my screen, there's a small line-shaped artifact (looks either like a line-shaped chip or a dust hair trapped inside the panel (about 3 pixels long). It's distinctly noticeable on anything not black and I can even see it from a couple feet away. I've been rubbing at it with a Q-tip and it seems like I've gotten it to move maybe a cm, but I can't tell if the movement is in my head. It's not distinctly eye-catching, but if I know where to look for it I can easily see it on a solid-colored screen.

As far as BLB and IPS glow goes - I'd say I got a decent panel in that regard. There's no noticeable BLB and there's only minor IPS glow in the corners, and it really depends on how close you are to the screen. From a certain distance the IPS glow is very minor, and barely noticeable. It's better than my Dell U2412M in this regard.

I'm unsure if I should RMA the screen or keep it. Maybe if I do RMA it, I should wait a couple weeks? At least until more shipments are sent out? I don't know.

I've yet to actually use the monitor...so I'll report back.

Lights off
AIXoCDB.png

Lights on
8z1TT1d.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't RMA it, it doesn't look bad to me.

I could say (maybe) - its similar to me, and i love it.

No dead pixels, i dont notice any bleeding, ips glow in normal use, so, who cares.

Maybe in the end u get another problems with new replaced monitor?

If it REALLY bothers you on day to day usage then might as well take that chance for a new one. Although as pointed out earlier you may even end up with a worst one.

I wouldn't RMA it, it doesn't look bad to me.

I could say (maybe) - its similar to me, and i love it.

No dead pixels, i dont notice any bleeding, ips glow in normal use, so, who cares.

Maybe in the end u get another problems with new replaced monitor?

True. Here's a pic of that aforementioned hair - sure this isn't too bothersome?

tNOWuQu.jpg

since it has a 3d/photoshop effect, something is between the film and the coating.

maybe over time it will shrink is size.

since it has a 3d/photoshop effect, something is between the film and the coating.

maybe over time it will shrink is size.

Maybe I could rub it out if I kept trying? I wasn't sure if my imagination but I could've sworn I pushed it closer to the edge when I was using a q-tip.

Here is the backlight bleed on mine, with the exposure set more properly to not exaggerate the issue. Note mine is worse in the upper right instead of lower like many. This is probably brighter than it needs to be as I have some glare in my room from the light.

We can't tell you what should or shouldn't bother you.

Both the backlight bleed and the hair/rubbing/stuck pixel issues would bother me enough to return those monitors. I would RMA it even if I got it off CL for a couple hundred less and it had the stuck pixel and hairline imperfection. I would return it for a refund if all the panels exhibited the same thing.

We can't tell you what should or shouldn't bother you.

Both the backlight bleed and the hair/rubbing/stuck pixel issues would bother me enough to return those monitors. I would RMA it even if I got it off CL for a couple hundred less and it had the stuck pixel and hairline imperfection. I would return it for a refund if all the panels exhibited the same thing.

Well, the issue is that very many of these panels have some sort of imperfection, so it becomes an issue of exchanging for potentially worse panels. I'd rather have a monitor with zero BLB and low amounts of IPS glow with a stuck pixel or two on an edge rather than a monitor with no dust or stuck pixels but moderate BLB or IPS glow.

What I might do is just hold onto mine for a few weeks and then trade it back in when there's more stock availability, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

The only thing is I'm worried I rubbed off my AG coating where I tried to push that stuck hair. Is there any way to remove the grey streak that I see when shining a light on w/ the monitor off?

I wouldn't be ok with either one of those examples for this kind of money...not for a screen since it's the most significant piece of hardware based on how much it will be used.

If you abraded the AG coating then no, you can't restore the spot you dulled.

But you can RMA it regardless because there's not going to be anyone looking at it to verify the pixels and shining lights on it to see rough spots on the coating. It's cheaper to just cycle through them than it is to hire someone to check them extensively leaving and coming back.

I wouldn't be ok with either one of those examples for this kind of money...not for a screen since it's the most significant piece of hardware based on how much it will be used.

But you can RMA it regardless because there's not going to be anyone looking at it to verify the pixels and shining lights on it to see rough spots on the coating. It's cheaper to just cycle through them than it is to hire someone to check them extensively leaving and coming back.

It will be tossed in the refurbished bin for some unlucky consumer to buy.

Yea, I'm likely just going to RMA it. It's why I paid for Newegg Premier anyways. I'm going to hold onto it until Monday and then send it back. You guys are right, for $800, it's not worth having any flaws. As small as it is, I know that little hair is there and my eyes are drawn to it on white backgrounds.

It's just painful going back to the U2412M because even with that speck, it's a really nice monitor. :D I'm not used to the level of responsiveness and motion clarity this monitor provides.

I'm not sure if I abraded the AG coating. I see a fingerprint on the screen that has the same shade as the rubbed area so it might be just a streak left on the monitor from mineral water. I'll go back over it with a microfiber cloth and a slight touch of distilled water to see if it helps at all.

EDIT: To add to the pain a bit - this is exactly what I worried about. I just looked at my box a little more and I can see someone else's return sticker right on the damn thing. I got someone else's returned monitor.

So this seems rather troublesome. Newegg is already giving out refurbished unwanted monitors as brand new ones. I'm starting to think I should just return the monitor altogether and try to get it from Acer with their extra fee for them to inspect the monitor before sending.

It made sense that there was a lot of fingerprints and smudges near the hair on my monitor that I could've sworn weren't mine - clearly the last person who had it tried to rub it off too.

Last edited:
Good light bleed picture 1 & 2. The monitor on the left is my glow free Qnix pre-light bleed fix and its glossy black bezel ruins the perceived black depth just like the Acers. The left monitor in this image has a 1300:1 contrast ratio but obvious bleed; the right monitor, a Crossover 2720MDP has an 850:1 contrast ratio and minimal bleed.

Glow and bleed can be made nearly invisible with a bright bias light (2500 lumen 6500k/Daylight CFL put in a lamp behind the monitor). Using a bright bias light negates the need for bright ceiling or lamp lights, which when turned off, do not produce glare. There's no need to keep the brightness high when the ceiling lights are off, and when off, one can drastically reduce the displays brightness which usually makes light bleed and glow far less obvious.

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea the best way to clean the matte? There were a few slight fingerprints I could see on the matte when I put a flashlight on it and I tried rubbing it with a microfiber cloth for a few second and it just smeared it. Slight water didn't work on the previous section I tried earlier...

Seems ridiculously delicate.

Ok so I've been following this thread, the other 34" acer thread abs of course the og asus gsync thread since last year. I've been using my catleap overclocked screen now a couple of years without issue and have been happy with it but of course have been waiting on something better patiently. I was gonna jump on the asus tn but then heard about this acer predator and the potential about the 34". It seems the 34" will be only 75hz and that's a let down. So i was thinking of maybe going with this one to replace my catleap. So the question to you guys is it worth spending 800 bucks plus to get this over what i have? Is the gsync and 144hz motion clarity that much better than mine as to be worth the expense? I don't mind spending if it's truly worth it. I'd love to hear from those who came from the korean overclocked panels to this one.

At the end of the day i really wanted to move up in res and screen size with gsync and 144z so i don't know if i should just wait and hope something else is announced down the road? Opinions?

I have been using mine for over a week now, still loving it.

I do have an odd question, the offical driver (inf) is unsigned and it want install and i am running with it detected as a PnP monitor. Wonder if Acer is going to get that driver signed in the future?

I see you are playing a game called "overexposed phone camera photos that make the screen look worse vs high quality photos that make the screen look better than it actually does"....

First photo looks much worse than it probably does, second photo of the 3 monitor setup makes it look like an OLED screen!! Both of which are misleading!

Last edited:
I have been using mine for over a week now, still loving it.

I do have an odd question, the offical driver (inf) is unsigned and it want install and i am running with it detected as a PnP monitor. Wonder if Acer is going to get that driver signed in the future?

Attempting to install the official driver would blue screen my PC so I just left it using the PnP detection for now.

Wow this thread is turning into a photodicking circle jerk topic.

Shall we get back to the intended purpose of this thread?

I know there's no evidence to this, but it just seems like everyone who ordered directly from Acer got all the good units lol. Mine has no dead/stuck pixels, no dirt marks, and minimal backlight bleed. Only thing that stands out is the bottom right glow.

I ordered mine from CDW. The monitor has no issues other than the backlight bleed and even then it's not something I'm going to be picky about because it's nowhere near bad enough to bother me. It looks half as bad as some of the IPS glow pictures posted in this thread.

Ive notice more texture pop in since switching to the Acer over my Dell, is this a gsync thing or a 144hz thing? Never seen this before.

Just wanted to add... I am not entirely sure this is worth 800$ but it is quite amazing. I am thinking about keeping the monitor and just getting it exchanged through ACER. I was playing BF4 last night and really noticed a big difference there, I finally got the color to be more similar to my U2713HM, gamma at 2.2 was really making everything looked washed I set it at 2.4 and it looks a million times better. The increased refresh rate feels amazing but the overall smoothness of gameplay is incredible, I actually found myself playing a lot better as well.

Last edited:
Wow this thread is turning into a photodicking circle jerk topic.

Shall we get back to the intended purpose of this thread?

The point of this thread is talk about the displays. Misrepresenting the backlight glow by not adjusting your camera settings is the type of discussion we need because those pictures are trying to add facts to the discussion.

Ive notice more texture pop in since switching to the Acer over my Dell, is this a gsync thing or a 144hz thing? Never seen this before.

Just wanted to add... I am not entirely sure this is worth 800$ but it is quite amazing. I am thinking about keeping the monitor and just getting it exchanged through ACER. I was playing BF4 last night and really noticed a big difference there, I finally got the color to be more similar to my U2713HM, gamma at 2.2 was really making everything looked washed I set it at 2.4 and it looks a million times better. The increased refresh rate feels amazing but the overall smoothness of gameplay is incredible, I actually found myself playing a lot better as well.

I'm guessing it's because you're just paying more attention to that sort of thing. If you're moving fast in GTA 5 for example, and you're driving top speed, the 144Hz will let you more easily see pop-in.

I agree that the monitor is amazing - I just wish I didn't have to RMA it. The color out of the box was VERY similar to my U2412M. This monitor just makes games so much more fun. Games so feel responsive, my aim ingame literally feels like an extension of my arm.

The effect GSync has is strange as well. Games actually feel SMOOTHER running at a lower FPS than they used to. For example, in Hardline, at 1200P, I used to never dip below 60. At 1440P, there's definitely an occasional dip, but it really doesn't seem to make any impact on the gameplay. Moving and aiming just feels a lot more intimate now. Seems to be a lot easier to get drive-by kills too.

I also vote for the "I'm being more observant with my new screen" effect.

The effect GSync has is strange as well. Games actually feel SMOOTHER running at a lower FPS than they used to.

This makes perfect sense. The frame is delivered just as soon as it's ready, and moves on to the next one, no faster and no slower than it can. With vsync off it either tears, or vsync on introduces delay to match up with the screen frame rate.

Games definitely feel better at lower frame rates thanks to no stuttering and no screen tearing. However I disagree that G Sync makes the game feel "smoother" or more "fluid". When your frame rate drops down to as low as 35-40, you will notice it, and it just doesn't feel as fluid as higher frame rates. Sure it's stutter-free and tear-free, but at the end of the day, low frame rates are still low frame rates and it is noticeable. I know it sounds like the complete opposite of what other people have been saying like "OMG, with G Sync I don't even look at my frame rate counter anymore! 35 fps 60 fps 100 fps it ALL FEELS THE SAME TO ME. It's like day and night!". I don't ever remember G Sync doing some sort of frame rate interpolation trick to make lower frame rates into higher frame rates?

All G-Sync really is Dynamic Refresh Rate, or in short term DRR.

I don't view it anymore special as they are trying to portrait it as.

just like how we have dynamic MHZ, Voltages, etc on cpu's/gpu's, the same is with the G-Sync monitor, it has a dynamic HZ, when the game outputs 40fps, the monitors refresh rate will also display 40hz, and so on.

Games definitely feel better at lower frame rates thanks to no stuttering and no screen tearing. However I disagree that G Sync makes the game feel "smoother" or more "fluid". When your frame rate drops down to as low as 35-40, you will notice it, and it just doesn't feel as fluid as higher frame rates. Sure it's stutter-free and tear-free, but at the end of the day, low frame rates are still low frame rates and it is noticeable. I know it sounds like the complete opposite of what other people have been saying like "OMG, with G Sync I don't even look at my frame rate counter anymore! 35 fps 60 fps 100 fps it ALL FEELS THE SAME TO ME. It's like day and night!". I don't ever remember G Sync doing some sort of frame rate interpolation trick to make lower frame rates into higher frame rates?

Did you normally play games with Vsync disabled before you got a Gsync setup?

Did you normally play games with Vsync disabled before you got a Gsync setup?

Yeah I've always played with V Sync off. Don't get me wrong though I'm not trying to hate on G Sync because it really does work. Having no screen tearing for the past 2 weeks has been awesome I could certainly get used to this lol.

Yeah I've always played with V Sync off. Don't get me wrong though I'm not trying to hate on G Sync because it really does work. Having no screen tearing for the past 2 weeks has been awesome I could certainly get used to this lol.

With Vsync on frame drops turn the game experience into burning wreckage, so people who are comparing that to Gsync will have a different reference point for what smooth frame rates look like. Naturally they also won't notice the lack of tearing like you do.

With Vsync on frame drops turn the game experience into burning wreckage, so people who are comparing that to Gsync will have a different reference point for what smooth frame rates look like. Naturally they also won't notice the lack of tearing like you do.

Of course. It's just that when people say that thanks to G Sync low frame rates now look exactly like high frame rates and there is no longer any difference in any frame rate I think that's kind of a misleading statement. G Sync or no G Sync, low frame rates will still look like low frame rates, there will just be no stuttering.

Back