Office Puts Chips Under Staff's Skin

HardOCP News

[H] News
This kinda makes you wonder how long it will be before we are all chipped at birth? Thanks to scojer for the link.

Want to gain entry to your office, get on a bus, or perhaps buy a sandwich? We're all getting used to swiping a card to do all these things. But at Epicenter, a new hi-tech office block in Sweden, they are trying a different approach - a chip under the skin.

No, thanks. I already have enough chips floating around in my body from all the child and flu vaccines I've had.

I'm going to assume that it's rfid. It's really dumb technology. There are rfid readers that can read from a couple of feet away. You could literally walk around with the reader and steal all the IDs, then use them to gain access.

These chips cause Cancer and tumors in Pets they are not in anyway Harmless RDIF tags will nuke you.

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. :p

Seriously though, unless you have very long term employees I find losing or changing jobs is tough enough without having to have chips removed or deactivated in my body :eek:

These chips cause Cancer and tumors in Pets they are not in anyway Harmless RDIF tags will nuke you.

RFID.
But then again, you have no idea what that means and are just being a good sheep and spouting nonsense due to ignorance.

Yeah, I wouldn't do this. In fact, if my company told me I had to get it done or be fired and rather be fired. I'd sue them for wrongful dismissal of course, but I appose all sorts of employer-directed body modifications regardless purpose. It's just not a good policy to get stuff implanted under your skin for a job.

Ohh the RFID that was in credit cards where folks were stealing your info?

I saw a news report on TV about this place.

The guy the business hired to "install" the chips was some tattoo parlor goofball. he had those giant plugs in his earlobes, they were over the diameter of a 50 cent piece. he looked like a tattooed tellytubby.

The news guy had one implanted and when he went to the front door to test it out, it didn't work.:eek::eek::eek:

I'm cringing at the term "Swipe card" more than likely people are using Proximity Cards which are RFID based, no swiping needed.

Yeah I get particular and weird like that.

Surprised you missed this one Steve! Before i would do this, they better beef up security. Or make them out of material that your body absorbs, so overtime it is gone and you need a new chip.

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. :p

Seriously though, unless you have very long term employees I find losing or changing jobs is tough enough without having to have chips removed or deactivated in my body :eek:

Revelation 13:16-18
I believe embedded RFID chips to be the mark of the beast. For when it becomes the only means of a transaction, then without it we cannot buy or sell. Thus, 666.

I believe embedded RFID chips to be the mark of the beast. For when it becomes the only means of a transaction, then without it we cannot buy or sell. Thus, 666.

Yep, also means "they" or the government or whoever could turn you "off" if they wanted. Cant get your money, cant put gas in your car, cant go to work, cant pay the rent, etc. Definitely not something we should be heading towards... It's 1984 scary stuff.

Yea I'm pretty sure all the crazies that believe in a book that has been proven to be 100% pure bullshit will be lining up to decry this...oh wait they already are...I'm Shocked..:rolleyes:

Moving on past the insanity that some people try and label this, especially when you actually bother doing some research and realize that RFID chips can in no way be misconstrued as some ancient mumbo jumbo. I still dislike this practice for a business for a number of reasons;
1) Expecting someone to stay with a company for a long enough term to justify something like this is insane. Especially when you consider the cost of having something like this medically inserted vs just handing them a damn card.
2) As mentioned, RFID chips are so far from secure it isn't even funny. Anyone that thinks this is a good idea for security is trading a ton of security just to save a few morons the trouble of not losing a id badge.
3) In general the public won't accept it and as such they are heavily limiting their potential employee pool.
4) It gives the nutters something to foam at the mouth about and will end up reflecting poorly on the company as a result. Because like it or not, that demographic still represents the majority.

So all in all, extremely poor business decision.

Clearly under the skin chips are stupid. However, I'm not sure what he thinks he's gaining over traditional security badge readers. Badge readers are pretty awesome at least in my book. I could care less about building access and office access, but it's a great way to secure my server rooms, electrical rooms, mechanical spaces, and manufacturing areas where the general office populace doesn't belong (they could get seriously hurt).

It's easy to grant and take away an employee's access, I can tie it to their training, there's no keys to lose or have to track, and when someone goes all postal I can simply deactivate their badge. And from the creepy management is stalking you standpoint - they can track just about all your movements through a badge. So why he wants them under the skin - no idea - must be crazy. Badges do it all I think.

Yea I'm pretty sure all the crazies that believe in a book that has been proven to be 100% pure bullshit will be lining up to decry this...oh wait they already are...I'm Shocked..:rolleyes:

Moving on past the insanity that some people try and label this, especially when you actually bother doing some research and realize that RFID chips can in no way be misconstrued as some ancient mumbo jumbo. I still dislike this practice for a business for a number of reasons;
1) Expecting someone to stay with a company for a long enough term to justify something like this is insane. Especially when you consider the cost of having something like this medically inserted vs just handing them a damn card.
2) As mentioned, RFID chips are so far from secure it isn't even funny. Anyone that thinks this is a good idea for security is trading a ton of security just to save a few morons the trouble of not losing a id badge.
3) In general the public won't accept it and as such they are heavily limiting their potential employee pool.
4) It gives the nutters something to foam at the mouth about and will end up reflecting poorly on the company as a result. Because like it or not, that demographic still represents the majority.

Who said it would end with business seeking to chip everyone. The NSA just about has us all chipped, the thought of actually doing it so they don't miss a thing likely gets their rocks off. The government in general would like to tax every transaction that happens, they'd love an imposed tracking of all your expenses to make sure you didn't buy something out of a trunk of a car without them knowing whether they could tax it.

And the biggest bullshit pushed around by zealots today is that all powerful government ends well.

Well, I was being mostly facetious :D

I am willing to support companies in demanding a fair amount of compliance from their employees (like mandating desirable personal behaviors like exercise and good diet and punishing undesirable personal behaviors like smoking and obesity ... even when they occur outside the office and on the employee's own time) ... I just think that a mildly invasive procedure to implant a chip is a little overboard ... I like RFID badges and I would support even an intrusive biometric procedure (like a blood sample), I am just not keen on being chipped for work

That said, if it was made universal so that ALL employers used the same chip and there was a national database that all the companies shared I might actually support this ... I just don't want to change chips every time I change jobs

I saw a news report on TV about this place.

The guy the business hired to "install" the chips was some tattoo parlor goofball. he had those giant plugs in his earlobes, they were over the diameter of a 50 cent piece. he looked like a tattooed tellytubby.

The news guy had one implanted and when he went to the front door to test it out, it didn't work.:eek::eek::eek:

Yeah really, I read that in the article too. I would never, ever trust anyone with a tattoo to be anywhere near my body with something they were planning to implant in it. The same goes with anyone who grows a beard. Neither personality type is trustworthy as proven time and time again by how many people who are tattooed or have facial hair being put into prison like that guy who did the swatting thing in Las Vegas.

I am willing to support companies in demanding a fair amount of compliance from their employees (like mandating desirable personal behaviors like exercise and good diet and punishing undesirable personal behaviors like smoking and obesity ...

You are absolutely ridiculous and nobody would be willing to work for you.

I'm really surprised by a lot of the comments posted here...especially the biblical references. Outside of the economics of implanting these chips on a per business manner, these types of identification devices already exist and we typically carry them every day in the form of a drivers license, SSN ID card, banking cards, or employment badges. I honestly don't have an issue if they could be used on a more generalized manner as I'd have an issue with being implanted 20 different times with non-biodegradable chips, lol. A single chip that has non-sensitive information...like what's contained on a drivers license. With this, an additional step is taken during employment where they read your chip into their employment database allowing you access into the security structures they have built into their organization. No more door badges, reduced security staffing, no more wasted man hours on forgotten login passwords or key cards. Additionally, add the ability to verify your identity at the airport, recreational events, etc...Purchase your tickets online and when you get to the event, they just scan your ID that brings up an associated photo of you for visual verification as well as proper access authority into the event. No system is foolproof, even the current physical card and paper one we use today so yes, there are gonna be loopholes but if its well thought out and implemented, it can be just as robust as what we have now and more efficient.

The only way I would accept this is if they put it up my butt.

You are absolutely ridiculous and nobody would be willing to work for you.

I didn't say I would demand it but I enjoy being paid and I am willing to make compromises to guarantee that employment ... the employer is almost always right since he controls the purse strings and money talks (very very loudly) ;)

I have the RFID implant from dangerousthings.com, if I could get it to unlock my work cell phone via NFC, Id get it implanted, but I havent had 100% luck

So far its sitting in my nightstand, works great to auto launch the alarm clock app when I place it down

Moving on past the insanity that some people try and label this, especially when you actually bother doing some research and realize that RFID chips can in no way be misconstrued as some ancient mumbo jumbo.

Are you trying to start a flame war? Why not just respect our opinions of what this means for us and this world's future instead of personally attacking our opinion and beliefs. Especially where you say "a book that has been proven to be 100% pure bullshit" That is quite hateful.

Back