Oem Sempron 3100+ & ECS Nforce3 combo for $79 + S/H (no rebates)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Deal kind of dead again....Price is now up to $99.99....have to wait to see if it drops.

mesostinky said:

While I bought and am using the first one, literally, that you're showing, and it works fine with mild overclocking, I have to agree; I'd have payed the extra $5 for the second one, no problem.

Fenris_Ulf said:
I've got MBM to work, but only for one sensor (CPU). I can't remember which sensor it was, so just try all six until you get one that isn't at 0 C or 150 C. Chips are 130nm, but will probably have 64bit enabled despite being of the AX designator.

I'll vouch for "Not probably, but DO have 64 bit enabled". I'm typing this on one of these combos....

brycejones said:
Deal kind of dead again....Price is now up to $99.99....have to wait to see if it drops.

It may not come back... with AMD's new price "drop" the price on the Sempron 3100+ in lots of 1000 is now $91. So, Outpost was "giving away" the (theoretically) $69 motherboard and taking a $12 loss on the CPU to get these combos out.... even at $99.99, you're only paying $8.99 for the motherboard over the actual cost of the CPU.

I'm just glad I pulled the trigger on #4 last night. Added a total of 9 ghz to my folding farm thanks to this deal. :D

SJetski71 said:
Ahh, the good amd X2 heatpipe heatsink is back in stock for $18 shipped

Get that one quick before it sells out, hasn't sold for that low in quite awhile.

A rough equal to the XP90, i use it on my sempron combo and it fits just fine, pretty quiet too.

Umm, how quiet is pretty quiet? More quiet than the stock heatsink originally listed? I got that one but the heatpipe one is more interesting
:rolleyes: ...I don't recall 80mm fans being all that quiet. (I want silence if I can get it!)

akinsey said:
Umm, how quiet is pretty quiet? More quiet than the stock heatsink originally listed? I got that one but the heatpipe one is more interesting
:rolleyes: ...I don't recall 80mm fans being all that quiet. (I want silence if I can get it!)

I posted a link to a gigabyte HSF a few pages back in this thread. I have several of them and they are dead quiet.

brycejones said:
I posted a link to a gigabyte HSF a few pages back in this thread. I have several of them and they are dead quiet.
we're sorry, but the product you're looking for has been deactivated. <--link results. :confused: care to mention the model number? thx

The combo has been posted again, but the price has gone up to $99.99. Link. Looks like demand drove up the price!

akinsey said:

Don't know if this helps, but here is a review of the AMD heat pipe HSF and a link to a sound measurement page http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=4&artpage=1599&articID=399

Link to review on 3100+ on Nforce3 board
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron-3100-oc.html

Maybe this link could go on page one since it is bascially a review of what people will be buying here? If that review doesn't bring a smile to your face then you need professional help. :D

brycejones said:
Another easily found and cheap option is the following heatsink:

Gigabyte Heatsink

MIcrocenter also carries them for $14.99. They are quiet and keep temps low.
Gigabyte heatsink also back in stock

mesostinky said:
7 X2 heatpipe heatsinks left in stock, get em while they're hot.

mesostinky said:
Don't know if this helps, but here is a review of the AMD heat pipe HSF and a link to a sound measurement page http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=4&artpage=1599&articID=399
Wow, i must be going deaf :p

I'm totally guessing here, but i'd venture that the X2 heatpipe heatsink cools a tad better, but the gigabyte heatsink is probably quieter with it's 92mm fan. I could be wrong though...

DAMN, I regret cancelling my order on two of those combos now... I could have sold them.

RGMBill said:
It may not come back... with AMD's new price "drop" the price on the Sempron 3100+ in lots of 1000 is now $91. So, Outpost was "giving away" the (theoretically) $69 motherboard and taking a $12 loss on the CPU to get these combos out.... even at $99.99, you're only paying $8.99 for the motherboard over the actual cost of the CPU.

Where are you getting $91 for the cpu in 1000 qty? Newegg is selling the retail 3100 for $85 shipped and the retail should cost more than an oem.

I just checked mine and the pins are all bent in one corner of the CPU due to shoddy packaging :(. I would send it back, but I just traded my other computer to my brother so I kind of need it :). Took me about a half hour, but I got the CPU in the socket and I'm on it now. Oh well.

All 3 that I have recieved so far ran straight to 2.25 with no issues. I haven't tried messing with clockgen yet.

Can someone post the instructions on what to change in cmos? I love my IBM compatible computer. w00t

AssMan said:
Where are you getting $91 for the cpu in 1000 qty? Newegg is selling the retail 3100 for $85 shipped and the retail should cost more than an oem.

$91 is with the new AMD price increases. Those are also the 90nm models. These were the 130nm ones and were probably being sold off for cheap because they are discontinuing them.

Fenris_Ulf said:
$91 is with the new AMD price increases. Those are also the 90nm models. These were the 130nm ones and were probably being sold off for cheap because they are discontinuing them.

Darn, beat me to it on the explanation. The [H] carried it on the front page earlier in the week when AMD did the price "reduction" and we use that term loosely, because most chips went UP between $2US and $4US each in the lots per 1000 pricing. The new price for the Sempron 3100+ is $91; if a company is selling at less than that, they are losing money. I would have expected that (like Oil Companies) all of the Computer companies selling the bare CPU or in Combos like this would have needed to raise the price of the current stock up to match.

Is there any software utility that I can download that will tell me if this CPU will run 64 bit programs? It would be nice to know before I install 64 bit XP.

MiXdNuTs said:
Is there any software utility that I can download that will tell me if this CPU will run 64 bit programs? It would be nice to know before I install 64 bit XP.
I installed x64 XP yesterday (on this combo). If it runs x64 XP it should run 64-bit programs, right? Sweet!

yes i bought these @ the perfect time bought 10 of them @ 79.99 saved me self $200 because of the price jump

t3chyo888 said:
yes i bought these @ the perfect time bought 10 of them @ 79.99 saved me self $200 because of the price jump

What are you gonna do with 10 of them?

Fenris_Ulf said:

I'm so confused now. Did the price go up because the combos now include 90nm semprons, or was it simply because of demand and they are still selling 130nm ones? I'm getting either this Sempron package or the other Athlon 64 3000+ package(if its a venice), still not sure which is a better deal.

I'm guessing they went up because of demand, could be wrong, but when you get people out there buying multiples to turn profit that's what happens.. At any rate I hope it goes back down because I wanted to buy one of these at the end of this week....If i can't get it at $79, i'll just go buy what I really want and pay extra.

QuimZ said:
I'm guessing they went up because of demand, could be wrong, but when you get people out there buying multiples to turn profit that's what happens.. At any rate I hope it goes back down because I wanted to buy one of these at the end of this week....If i can't get it at $79, i'll just go buy what I really want and pay extra.

Yea same here, but if these are 90nm Semprons then I will definatly get one. Otherwise, the Athlon 64 3000+ deal looks better.

I missed the boat with the price @ 79.99. I live about 3 miles from the Fry's in Tempe, AZ. They have same combo but with boxed 2800+ on ad this week for 69.99. Bought it. I would rather buy from store instead of mail order just in case there are problems with cpu or board. Figured I would also save a few bucks but sacrifice some speed. cpu-id reports x86-64 so I am happy.

Real quick OC question. I have not overclocked since the athlon XP days. What should I set my HT multi and HT speed to on this system? I have it at 250 with a 3X multi, but that seems to be as fast as I can get this system. Is there any problem with setting the HT at 250 with a 4X multi? It booted at 240 on 4X. Also, how can I get the CPU past 2.25GHz? Thanks.

MiXdNuTs said:
Real quick OC question. I have not overclocked since the athlon XP days. What should I set my HT multi and HT speed to on this system? I have it at 250 with a 3X multi, but that seems to be as fast as I can get this system. Is there any problem with setting the HT at 250 with a 4X multi? It booted at 240 on 4X. Also, how can I get the CPU past 2.25GHz? Thanks.

clockgen but if you have stepping as I do you can't make it past 270...

I am sure I have the same stepping, but I can't get the bios to go past 250. Should I do this with software in windows or what?

MiXdNuTs said:
I am sure I have the same stepping, but I can't get the bios to go past 250. Should I do this with software in windows or what?

You can use clockgen to get past 250.

silentnswift said:
I'm so confused now. Did the price go up because the combos now include 90nm semprons, or was it simply because of demand and they are still selling 130nm ones? I'm getting either this Sempron package or the other Athlon 64 3000+ package(if its a venice), still not sure which is a better deal.

At base clock rates, I think the Sempron is probably the better deal, even at $99.99. It's $30 more for the EXACT same motherboard, with the A64 3000+; since these are 64bit enabled, and the A64 3000+ chips don't have SSE3, you're paying the $30 for twice the cache but a slightly lower multiplier (8, IIRC vice 9 on the Sempron? Somebody sure?). Net effect is that the Sempron is FASTER in some tasks, and in most tasks is about 1-2% slower; if the price difference was $10, then go with the A64, but at $30, you're talking 30% (was over 60% before the price jump!) for only 1-2%; plus, the Sempron should overclock more if you are going to overclock, because of the higher multiplier.

BTW, the Sempron 3100+ is being sold under two different SKUs right now; one is marked as a BA chip. Both are at $84.99, so a drop to $79.99 for the combo isn't coming back.

RGMBill said:
BTW, the Sempron 3100+ is being sold under two different SKUs right now; one is marked as a BA chip. Both are at $84.99, so a drop to $79.99 for the combo isn't coming back.
Outpost's sempron and sempron combo prices never really corellated or made much sense imho. In other words we 'may' see the $79 or $89 prices return yet again. Who knows(?)

This is a toughie; $100 Sempron OEM + $10 for a heatsink=$110, or a 3000+ retail boxed with heatsink for $130.

QuimZ said:
This is a toughie; $100 Sempron OEM + $10 for a heatsink=$110, or a 3000+ retail boxed with heatsink for $130.

Get the 3000+ this time cause it comes with the heatsink, venice core, and this other guy is getting 2.4 maxed due to the board. lol

RGMBill said:
At base clock rates, I think the Sempron is probably the better deal, even at $99.99. It's $30 more for the EXACT same motherboard, with the A64 3000+; since these are 64bit enabled, and the A64 3000+ chips don't have SSE3, you're paying the $30 for twice the cache but a slightly lower multiplier (8, IIRC vice 9 on the Sempron? Somebody sure?). Net effect is that the Sempron is FASTER in some tasks, and in most tasks is about 1-2% slower; if the price difference was $10, then go with the A64, but at $30, you're talking 30% (was over 60% before the price jump!) for only 1-2%; plus, the Sempron should overclock more if you are going to overclock, because of the higher multiplier.

I thought that all the venice chips have SSE3 on them? Somebody confirmed that the 3000+ was indeed a venice so I'm still not sure of which deal to get. Are these Semprons the new 90nm ones? And will this heatsink + fan fit on the Sempron even though it says for Semprons 3500+ on Socket 754 http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4446386 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back