Oem Sempron 3100+ & ECS Nforce3 combo for $79 + S/H (no rebates)

Status
Not open for further replies.
were can i get the biostar bios from and can i use winflash to flash my bios i do not wones a floppy drive nor do i en owne a floppy diskette

use winflash here...
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?DetailID=579&DetailName=BIOS&DetailDesc=NFORCE3-A(1.0B)&MenuID=35&LanID=9

thats the bios that i ahve i need the one from the biostar mobo so i can go about 300htt

Where it says "Flash Utility Download" choose your country and download the utility not the bios, download biostar bios and flash...

The Other said:
I got 266 times 9 that got me 2394+/-

You know what's strange, I can't get above 266 either, even though I had 2.45 stable for a 7hr prime :(

266 is an odd number to stop at, I wonder if there's something else at work here too. I've tried lowering HTT, memory, everything that I can. I don't think it's the chip limiting me, it's been stable at that freq before, and it has 1.6v with decent cooling.

Talonz said:
You know what's strange, I can't get above 266 either, even though I had 2.45 stable for a 7hr prime :(

266 is an odd number to stop at, I wonder if there's something else at work here too. I've tried lowering HTT, memory, everything that I can. I don't think it's the chip limiting me, it's been stable at that freq before, and it has 1.6v with decent cooling.

i think it is the voltage.

Just to add another data point, I've been running solid at 266. I haven't done extensive testing above that, but brief testing proved to be somewhat flakey. Oh well. I'm still pretty happy with it.

t3chyo888 said:
im trying to update to the 1.1 bios using award win flash i d/led the new bios and it says bios files sizes does not match with main board bios any ideas someone help me please.

If you are having this much trouble flashing, PLEASE seriously consider NOT flashing; the board comes with the ECS 1.0f BIOS; that's the latest and greatest from ECS for this board. The folks who are flashing BIOS are only doing it to get extremely high overclocks through the BIOS; this board overclocks very well, and is BIOS limited in almost all cases for a top BIOS (as fun, for example, I cranked mine up all the way to HT3 and FSB 250, with my memory down to 166; that gave me a machine running an overclock of 25%, in the realm of CPUs costing ~$400US more) using NO voltage bump, no special cooling... I didn't keep it there because it wasn't 100% stable, and I was uncomfortable with the load temperatures with the cooling I was using; if I had a watercooling setup, I might have easily left it at that, with a slight voltage jump).

The point is, flashing your BIOS can kill your board, DEAD, DEAD, DEAD. And it would NOT be under warrenty; you'd get to keep your snazzy new Sempron, but need to do some real gymnastics (a hot boot BIOS replacement, one I would only do if VERY desperate, but strangely IS possible on this board; many newer boards can't do it because the BIOS chip is soldered on).. Otherwise, you've got a nice new Motherboard as abstract art for your computer room wall. Outpost sells just the motherboard itself for $69US......

If you aren't sure of exactly what you're doing, PLEASE don't flash your BIOS! Read up on the instruction, read some tutorials, etc. And don't get experimental; I've flashed BIOSes for years, including playing with flashing hacked BIOSes (to turn Promise Fastrack 2 Lite on board RAID controllers into Promise Fastrack 2 RAID controllers... darn I wish I had that full BIOS right now! I did it on the board that just died, though three years ago; I need that BIOS now for my wife's machine). Believe me, there isn't much scarier you can do to a perfectly good system (or a new $200 motherboard, though this one isn't that expensive) than flashing the BIOS with an experimental/one off/similar motherboard BIOS, at least on systems that don't have the luxury of a dual bios setup (my old Gigabyte GA-7VAXP had Dual BIOS, for example) or some kind of BIOS saver (had a BIOS saver on my old SY-K7V DRAGON+). Think about whether or not you're really ready to do this if you're having big issues. Besides, the stock BIOS gets you almost to the maximum overclock you're going to get; unless you have REALLY good memory, and REALLY good cooling for the CPU, I'd stick less than 250 anyway, and that's where the BIOS craps out (CPU craps out somewhere in the 260s for most folks).

im happy @ 2.25ghz so not care to much i got a 450mhz o/c so im happy any way. thanxs for trying to help thoe guys.

I've got a cheap thermaltake venus 7 and have got my rig running at 2400. Have you increased voltage to cpu and memory?

dondude said:
I've got a cheap thermaltake venus 7 and have got my rig running at 2400. Have you increased voltage to cpu and memory?

What bios are you using and what voltage are you at?

dondude said:

Don't feel bad, that's the same cooler I am using. I forgot to add one to my recent newegg order, and it was the only S754 cooler that compusa had in stock besides the zalmans, which gave me the fear of them being too large. There's nothing really wrong with it, and yours is pretty quiet, my PC is pretty silent now since my current GPU doesn't have a fan on it. The zalmans are probably better, but I've got little reason to replace it now.

Did you take off the thermal pad and use paste? I didn't and my cpu is at 40-41 c Wondering if paste would keep it cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back