OCZ living up to reputation, Vertex 3 BSOD

Vega

Supreme [H]ardness
I bought two V3 120GB MAXIOPS for Raid 0. Ever since I updated to firmware 2.06 I get a BSOD and then one of the drives disappears from the raid array. The only way to get it back is to cold boot it.

I can definitely see why people say to stay away from OCZ. They blame pretty much everything besides their drives and firmware on their support forum. Tons of people are having this issue.

If I return this crap to Newegg, what drives would you guys go with?

Well I felt sorry for you.

I have exact same drive in raid 0 as you. However, I have the P8P67 Pro board...

My drives still have the 2.02 firmware...never update to 2.06....

So far, I have no problem with them in raid.

I like them, it is over 1000MB/s read and nearly 500Mb/write....

If you return the drives, pick up the Vertex 2 drives...more suitable for your board...

I don't like marvell controller much...

have a nice day!

Couple problems here.
-The drive is made by SandForce not OCZ.
-The firmware is made by SandForce not OCZ.
OCZ's hands are tied until SF pulls their heads out of their asses and fixes their firmware. However, I don't appreciate OCZ's "playing dumb/ignorance" attitude in their forums - complete horseshit. They all know there's a problem with the firmware yet they won't publicly admit it.
-Why on earth did you upgrade to 2.06 when 2.02 is fine? Let the guinea pigs sort out SSD firmware first! This isn't a motherboard BIOS we're talking about.
-Marvell controllers are a joke.

Are you saying any SF controlled disk, such as the new Corsair force drive will be using the exact same firmware and have the exact same problems? You sure?

Crucial C300 or M4 is good bet, the C300 has very good record, aside from some people reported freezing using intel RTS, most are fine just using MS ACHI, imo its the drive to have this gen.

Another option since you are still with X58 board, is to stay with sata II and just go with Intel 320 or Samsung 470 both are really nice drives for sata II.

I just ordered two Corsair Force Series 3 120GB. 85k MaxIOPS sounds sweet.

http://www.corsair.com/blog/corsair..._content=IOMeterIOPS&utm_campaign=SocialMedia

As much as I love RMA'ing drives and reinstalling Windows constantly, I don't think I will be buying another OCZ product for quite a while. Too bad I will have to waste more time Ebaying the new V3 drives that I get back from Newegg as they won't refund this crap.

BTW I am using these drives on a Z68 board.

Edit: My V3 have crashed my computer as I was writing this, thats two BSOD with a drive lost out of Raid array in just one hour. Now I can barely use my computer until the Corsair drives arrive. Sweet!

Last edited:
If the cosair/sanforce dont work out, i would just go with crucials, but if you dont like marvel, i would probably wait for intels 520s, by the looks of the sizes seems like Sanforce, but probably more mature by then and maybe intels does something with the firmware, or it could be intels new controller (hopping to be).

fullimage.php

Although the Corsairs are using the same SF controllers - they're different drives using different SF firmware. You may or may not see the same problems - my guess is not. Corsair typically comes late to market with their "versions" of the OCZ drives letting the OCZ buyers beta test the platform.

All Sandforce SSD (of a given controller) use very similar firmware, almost identical except for various flags Sandforce uses to turn features and enhancements on and off. Unlike Marvell, Sandforce insists on having full control of the firmware, so you do not see drastically different versions of Sandforce firmware like you do with firmware for Marvell controllers.

Sorry to hear you had issues with it, I went single 240gb instead of 2x120 in raid 0. 1gb/s is impressive reading speed. But even with a single one everything pretty much insta-loads as far as gaming is concerned. So I dont see the need for more bandwith there.

Also Vega did you go ahead with your 3x120hz displays setup? I am looking into doing that as well or going with a Single 1600p.

i would go with an intel 320 series. Nothing beats a reliable brand with a hardware built for data protection: there no data on memoru cache, and 4 caps to prevent data losso during power fails. performnce on par with Vertex 2 and prices way below vertex 3.

I just ordered two Corsair Force Series 3 120GB. 85k MaxIOPS sounds sweet.

http://www.corsair.com/blog/corsair..._content=IOMeterIOPS&utm_campaign=SocialMedia

As much as I love RMA'ing drives and reinstalling Windows constantly, I don't think I will be buying another OCZ product for quite a while. Too bad I will have to waste more time Ebaying the new V3 drives that I get back from Newegg as they won't refund this crap.

BTW I am using these drives on a Z68 board.

Edit: My V3 have crashed my computer as I was writing this, thats two BSOD with a drive lost out of Raid array in just one hour. Now I can barely use my computer until the Corsair drives arrive. Sweet!

The F3 may not be much better. I can't recall where I read this about the F3, but it wasn't good. Sorry to hear about the V3. If I had to lay blame it would have to be on SandForce.

Good luck with the F3 and tell us how it goes.

Yep Corsair Force have same firmware bug as the V3's do.
SF screwed the pooch bigtime on this new firmware!

SO glad I didn't flash to 2.06!

Couple problems here.
-The drive is made by SandForce not OCZ.
-The firmware is made by SandForce not OCZ.
OCZ's hands are tied until SF pulls their heads out of their asses and fixes their firmware. However, I don't appreciate OCZ's "playing dumb/ignorance" attitude in their forums - complete horseshit. They all know there's a problem with the firmware yet they won't publicly admit it.
-Why on earth did you upgrade to 2.06 when 2.02 is fine? Let the guinea pigs sort out SSD firmware first! This isn't a motherboard BIOS we're talking about.
-Marvell controllers are a joke.

Exactly my feelings as well. Also, if you post anything of negative report, they delete your post. I just had to take back a $3,400 system due to OCZ/SF incompetence with a failed Vertex 2 drive (not being recognized by the bios on bootup, a VERY COMMON PROBLEM). Next time, I'm going Intel. OCZ has lost a customer.

Too bad, because their support and willingness to explore recovery options with their customers were great when the Vertex 1 drives came out. It seems like now OCZ is run by a bunch of buffoons.

My sentiments exactly. Had no less than three Vertex 2's die on me in straight succession. Engaged one of the moderators directly, explained my issues and displeasure, and they sent me a new 240GB Vertex 3 as my last RMA replacement. Once you get a hold of a mod or a RMA manager, things are better.

Took two months but I finally have a working drive but it is on 2.06. Fingers crossed it stays alive and SF gets some new FW out ASAP. Really do not want to have to deal with OCZ RMA again.

Back