Oculus to require a Facebook account

I'd just use a 2nd FB account that I never use. I already use FB in a browser that I rarely browse in (cuts down on amazon ads for things I looked at or, worse, already bought. But i assume they can track based on my IP.

I'd just use a 2nd FB account that I never use. I already use FB in a browser that I rarely browse in (cuts down on amazon ads for things I looked at or, worse, already bought. But i assume they can track based on my IP.
They do, internally they merge the profiles they suspect to be multi’s into the one they believe to be the host. People who tend to do that have their own demographic that they can pander to.

Yeah, I know. My eyesight falls in range of what they offer direct, one of my kids does not. I bought the adapter from them, and then got lenses made locally.

Yeah, first thing I did after getting the original Vive was start looking around for these. Found these guys and their prices are not too bad and they shipped within a few days of my order, so I had a good experience there.

guess I just need to find my prescription to order some.

I don’t see how this is functionally different than when it was an oculus account or if it was a PSN account, or a Steam account. They all share data to some extent hell most of the servers that host the data are probably running in AWS.
Because those companies did not data mine like FB does, they want you to tie into the FB eco system for advertising purposes pretty much and mine your data and usage.

Because those companies did not data mine like FB does, they want you to tie into the FB eco system for advertising purposes pretty much and mine your data and usage.
But they do, they take your accounts then do everything they can do to tie it back to a Twitter, FB, Uber, etc ... account so they can package and bundle that. They are far more successful than you would think they are at it.

Lakados I am aware of how good they are at it, but Facebook is a social networking site, they have far far more data on most people than any gaming company does. Facebook is now getting into gaming, and the rift is their way to get a foothold in the virtual market which will only get bigger. Facebooks business model is failing as it was, new people are not signing up, they need new forms of income, this is one of them, as they know most people will not care if they need an FB account to get one, in a year everyone will forget this was news and buy one anyways and happily let facebook into their gaming world now.

Lakados I am aware of how good they are at it, but Facebook is a social networking site, they have far far more data on most people than any gaming company does. Facebook is now getting into gaming, and the rift is their way to get a foothold in the virtual market which will only get bigger. Facebooks business model is failing as it was, new people are not signing up, they need new forms of income, this is one of them, as they know most people will not care if they need an FB account to get one, in a year everyone will forget this was news and buy one anyways and happily let facebook into their gaming world now.
Yes but when they are all sharing buying and selling that data it doesn't really matter who has it initially, FB has just spent more time and energy grouping it together, but if you sign up with Valve or anybody else they are still going to cross reference it against all the FB profiles anyways so all you have done is caused one of their servers one additional lookup. I mean I get that it is functionally different and it makes you feel better but when you look at how this all goes down there is no technical difference.

I love the shit out of my Rift S but this pisses me off. Glad i never bought into the ecosystem outside of the hardware.

Thankfully if im understanding it right i have until 2023 to upgrade away from oculus. I imagine by then there should be competition or VR will have died an ugly death.

They do, internally they merge the profiles they suspect to be multi’s into the one they believe to be the host. People who tend to do that have their own demographic that they can pander to.
It doesn't bug me much. TBH, I don't think there's anything I've bought that was purchased because of FB. I did buy a phone soap product (which gets advertised constantly on FB, but I got it, because a friend that works in a hospital recommended it. I guess the FB ads for alt version helped convince me to get that brand (cuz none of the others seemed to have coverage from all sides), but I mostly see ads for crap I have no interest in.

It doesn't bug me much. TBH, I don't think there's anything I've bought that was purchased because of FB. I did buy a phone soap product (which gets advertised constantly on FB, but I got it, because a friend that works in a hospital recommended it. I guess the FB ads for alt version helped convince me to get that brand (cuz none of the others seemed to have coverage from all sides), but I mostly see ads for crap I have no interest in.
I made the mistake of saying I liked something out loud and now my FB feed is filled with advertisements for the 2020 Can-Am Ryker and the wife says I can’t have one and it’s just a constant reminder of fun I don’t have time for, maybe next year...

I made the mistake of saying I liked something out loud and now my FB feed is filled with advertisements for the 2020 Can-Am Ryker and the wife says I can’t have one and it’s just a constant reminder of fun I don’t have time for, maybe next year...
I'm not sure I really get ads about things I mention. I did go through a phase where every bootleg t-shirt vendor on FB tried to sell me shirts I had no interest in, but that's about it. TBH, my superpower is my ability to ignore virtually all ads....that said, for your ad, I'd recommend saying you're not interested in that ad and to stop showing them to me....problem solved :D

who is working on a network of bot-accounts to take down facebook?

Windows 10 just automatically imported my IE11 data into Edge (grrr) a few days ago. Bookmarks, favorites, sign-ons,etc. So I made backups of bookmarks, will reset all browsers and plan out what each browser does.

1. I just installed Opera purely for facebook, instagram....maybe other sites/services i wont to isolate.
2. Edge Chromium for general browsing, forums, online shopping, etc. Will make this the default browser, though I usually copy links from emails/websites and open them in the browser I want.
3. Chrome for services like banking, taxes, etc.
4. Firefox for others i want to control with noscript (java) plugin, etc. I was doing banking and facebook on here first with noscript and cookie control, but i know things need resetting.
5. Bye bye IE11.

I know it may be overkill since its likely all futile. I did take off FB and their messenger off the phone. Whatsapp is stil there though for family comms.

They also just rebranded the Oculus conference as Facebook for September. I am hoping I can still use an alt FB account when forced, but wouldnt mind selling the CV1 for a G2. What I really want is something with at least 140 deg FOV. Will likely hold on to the CV1 till then.

that is where you tell them to get bent....
I don’t see how this is functionally different than when it was an oculus account or if it was a PSN account, or a Steam account. They all share data to some extent hell most of the servers that host the data are probably running in AWS.

i can use the PS3 without having to be connected to the internet

1. I just installed Opera purely for facebook, instagram....maybe other sites/services i wont to isolate.
2. Edge Chromium for general browsing, forums, online shopping, etc. Will make this the default browser, though I usually copy links from emails/websites and open them in the browser I want.
3. Chrome for services like banking, taxes, etc.
4. Firefox for others i want to control with noscript (java) plugin, etc. I was doing banking and facebook on here first with noscript and cookie control, but i know things need resetting.
5. Bye bye IE11.

Why bother with both Edge and Chrome, just out of curiosity?

Also, FF has some kind of container/sandbox that's specifically to block FB snooping. Don't know if you know about that or not.

I recall saying this was the endgame when FB bought out Oculus. Glad I did not buy into their ecosystem. I don't use FB/Twitter for a reason. It's a cesspit.
Find a profile pic of random thot, make up random stripper name, use fake email account, voilia you have a bogus FB account to use for online coupons, oculus, nvidia driver updates, etc. Mines ages old and FB never caught on.

That some people have decide to use a TOS violating way around it is not really changing my mind. I never bought into the Oculus/Facebook ecosystem anyway, so it doesn't really affect me.

Why bother with both Edge and Chrome, just out of curiosity?

Also, FF has some kind of container/sandbox that's specifically to block FB snooping. Don't know if you know about that or not.

Just isolating the financial stuff from general internet time wasting sites. Probably dont need to. Will see.
Didnt know about FF container, but may look into that for other stuff.

Just isolating the financial stuff from general internet time wasting sites. Probably dont need to. Will see.

The problem is you still have the same external IP address so they'll easily tie it altogether. Unless you're using a browser VPN feature, which I believe Opera has as an option. Even your headset would be tied to the other accounts.
If you're concerned about all the browser data being separate you can use browser profiles which I believe most browsers have and would be much easier to manage. You just click your profile icon in the upper right and switch depending on what accounts you want to use. It essentially has your entire browser sandboxed in those profiles.
I personally use Vivaldi which uses the same rendering and javascript engine as Chrome but has a much more feature rich and customizable UI. It's basically the spiritual successor to what Opera once was. There is even an Android version, and you can cloud sync the browsers between different devices.

The problem is you still have the same external IP address so they'll easily tie it altogether. Unless you're using a browser VPN feature, which I believe Opera has as an option. Even your headset would be tied to the other accounts.
If you're concerned about all the browser data being separate you can use browser profiles which I believe most browsers have and would be much easier to manage. You just click your profile icon in the upper right and switch depending on what accounts you want to use. It essentially has your entire browser sandboxed in those profiles.
I personally use Vivaldi which uses the same rendering and javascript engine as Chrome but has a much more feature rich and customizable UI. It's basically the spiritual successor to what Opera once was. There is even an Android version, and you can cloud sync the browsers between different devices.
Vivaldi isn’t on iOS, which is annoying and why I don’t use it.

Yep, hence my futile comment. :p FB beacons on most sites will likely link the IP between browsers. I guess i was hoping to fence cookies across browsers. I know I will forget to change profiles, so better with separate browsers. If I could specify autoprofiles on bookmarks or URLs, maybe then it may work.

Yep, hence my futile comment. :p FB beacons on most sites will likely link the IP between browsers. I guess i was hoping to fence cookies across browsers. I know I will forget to change profiles, so better with separate browsers. If I could specify autoprofiles on bookmarks or URLs, maybe then it may work.

I don't know anyway to do that, although there may be plugins for it, or you could write one.
What I personally do for that is I never log in with my other profile. So I click a link, hmmm I'm not logged in and my password manager doesn't know my account, Oh I use this site on my other profile.
Also in Vivaldi it opens a new browser window for different profiles, and each profile has it's own bookmarks and speed dial (which is basically a nice page showing all your bookmarks). And you can customize the theme of the browser, etc. so you can easily tell which profile you're using.

Fair enough.

Here's what it says. I think if you go to FB it'll offer the container to you, IIRC it's an extension.

You'll see a little fence logo superimposed on other sites that have FB Like buttons and stuff like that, if you turn it on.

1598466426088.png

Mozilla (who makes Firefox) had revenue of $451 million in 2018. The bulk of which came royalties (95%).

Basically if you search for things in the browser box, and use Google for example, and then you click an ad, Mozilla gets a cut from Google.

Mozilla itself are not doing the same type of tracking the social media sites do. They have their Pocket product, but it runs locally and they do not share the data.

You can read exactly what they are tracking. It is a lot of stuff, but mostly anonymized and not on the level of what Google is doing (but if you use Google search and a Gmail account, etc. Google already has all that info).

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/firefox/

I recall saying this was the endgame when FB bought out Oculus. Glad I did not buy into their ecosystem. I don't use FB/Twitter for a reason. It's a cesspit.

Plus you end up volunteering yourself as their product to auction off whatever they learn about who you are.

how about a linux virtual machine, running TOR... would that be an "easy way" to separate facebook or whatever from the rest of your "normal" stuff on a single computer?

Back