Oculus Rift CV1 Teardown

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by HardOCP News, Mar 30, 2016.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

I've been waiting for the crew at iFixit to get their hands on the consumer version of the Oculus Rift and tear into it. Overall it looks fairly easy to get into but some of the stuff on the inside looks pretty delicate. I found it a bit odd that you have to cut through the fabric on the headset to replace the head strap.

2. Probleminfected

Probleminfected [H]ard|Gawd

Great presentation.

Though fresnel lens is pronounced:

Fer-nell

Stupid French words.

otherweeb likes this.
  3. The_Oasis

The_Oasis Limp Gawd

I've heard fre-nel, and fraynal, not Fer-nell. If it's French, then it'll be Fre-nel, though the reason you might hear 'fer' is because of the emphasis from the back of the throat (listen to how forĂȘt is said in french).

Also, Palmer tweeted that there was apparently more to see (or, at least told them to go further). I'd like to see the insides of those headphones for sure.

Armenius likes this.
  4. Trimlock

Trimlock [H]ardForum Junkie

Looked like a super basic tear down. Makes the SGS7 tear down look like a weekend project.

5. Probleminfected

Probleminfected [H]ard|Gawd

I'm a lighting tech in film/tv. I work with Fer-nells on a daily basis all the way up to 24k watts. If you said anything other than fer-Nell, you'd get laughed at like some dumbass green horn

6. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Wow....alrighty then.

Armenius and Trimlock like this.
  7. daglesj

daglesj [H]ardness Supreme

They still haven't fixed the main problem with VR kit though.

You still look a total dick wearing it.

8. KamelRed

KamelRed [H]ard|Gawd

HTC Vive looks like something straight of a cyberpunk movie. I dig it.
    Either way I am not overly concerned with appeasing my vanity while wearing one.

USMCGrunt likes this.
  9. Sedriss

Sedriss Limp Gawd

Kinda reminds me of those *seers* in chronicles of riddick when wearing one.

10. Sonicks

Sonicks [H]ard|Gawd

The screens and their pixel density are a lot smaller than I would have thought and overall it seems a bit 'light' on internals. I can't wait to try one though. I hope stores begin offering demos of some kind.

11. Scizyr

Scizyr Limp Gawd

All the hype and it's just a fucking cellphone with some freznull lenses. I'll wait to see what else comes to market before jumping on the VR bandwagon.

I'm still excited for VR, and the experience it offers is unlike anything else. It's something you have to experience first hand to fully appreciate. Oculus looks to be very low quality, bottom of the barrel though as is usually the case with first to market devices.

12. T_A

T_A Limp Gawd

looks like pretty solid and mature technical layout , basically all they really need now is better lenses and displays each gen. and some minor aesthetic design changes.

13. EricGRIT

EricGRIT [H]Lite

I'm curious what about the Rift makes you feel like it is low quality "bottom of the barrel" stuff. I'm on the fence about whether I will keep my Rift or Vive, still haven't decided. One major factor for me was that the Rift seems engineered very well while the Vive seems a bit more raw in it's ergonomics, finish, etc.

14. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

Gr8 B8 M8.

15. Scizyr

Scizyr Limp Gawd

Ergonomics and finish should come second to build quality. And while I haven't gotten to physically tear down an oculus, the documentation from ifixit shows me the device is lacking in quality of build. In my opinion they skimped a bit too much to save as much weight as possible. They could have easily used more rugged materials and used counter balancing techniques to reduce neck strain.

Also, the viewing angle is god awful in the Oculus. I'm on the fence about the Vive as well, they opted for a larger vertical viewing range than the Oculus, but what is needed in VR is a much wider viewing angle so our peripheral vision comes into play.

16. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

Wait, what? You think ergonomics should be given a lower priority than "build quality" for a device that you have to wear on your face? Like, seriously?

Especially for a first round product, it seems likely that this first version will be rendered obsolete long before it breaks, unless there's some horrible design flaw that causes the PCB to overheat, or the ribbon cables to break, or something.

17. EricGRIT

EricGRIT [H]Lite

I didn't think the ifixit article showed a lack of quality at all. Also, regarding the FOV, the actual perceived overall FOV is apparently so close between the Rift CV1 and Vive CV1 that it should be considered a non-issue (according to the guys from Tested). Personally, I'm sure the FOV will be better than my Gear VR with an S7 and I was perfectly fine with that. More and more reports are coming out saying that the Rift has a *slightly* sharper image and less SDE than the Vive, but it may also be a non-issue since the difference could be so slight.

Either way, I'm still on the fence.

Scizyr likes this.
  18. Trepidati0n

Trepidati0n [H]ardForum Junkie

And that isn't a bad ting. The previous VR incarnations had most people going hell no. This is pretty cool if you think about it.

19. raz-0

raz-0 [H]ardness Supreme

My main thought is: Why are these like $700?

20. Killerxp100

Killerxp100 Gawd

Because their new. I bet these VR sets get better and cheaper relatively quickly.

21. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

You're all wrong. It's pronounced fray-nel. The 'e' and 's' together in French make a long 'a' sound. If that is the way they pronounce it in film tech, well... It's as bad as pronouncing "Favre" like "Farve."

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  22. Litfod

Litfod [H]ard|Gawd

I'm going to call it Fer-nell from now on because it makes me laugh.

23. x3sphere

x3sphere 2[H]4U

There are a lot of custom components built specifically for this device in it. Price will come down eventually as economies of scale kick in. At any rate, price seems fine for now considering the demand, Rift is backordered to July and the Vive May.

24. Elios

Elios [H]ardness Supreme

the lenes cant be cheap to make good optics are expensive id bet they make up most of the cost

25. Chaos Machine

Chaos Machine Gawd

Not likely , there was some R&D costs for the lenses but you are probably talking a few bucks a lens to produce. Especially if they are not anti-reflective coated.