Oblivion PC performance

Well I dont think a 6800 vanilla cuts it for this game. It runs horrible on my PC at low settings. Like I can get a stable 30-60 frames, but once some action happens, it dips down so much.

Hmm, this game has really gotten me thinking about upgrading too... and I have no income right now I will pretty soon though.

Right now I have a P4 3.0, 1gb of generic 3200 (well, actually it's one stick of Corsair XMS 3500 512mb and one generic 512mb, and that generic one limits me to really crappy timings and such), and a Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb. I can stabily clock my 3.0 to ~3.5ghz, which should be fine for this game CPU-wise. I can get a 7800GS which is light years ahead of my 9800 Pro and should handle Oblivion without issue. Finally, I can get a matched pair of nice 1gb stick (XMS or g.Skill or what have you) so I can run better memory timings along with doubling my memory.

That should give me very nice framerates and bells and whistles in Oblivion (and any other game I want to play right now), and last me for at least a little while.

And when the gig is up with that system, the new AMD and Intel cores will be out and I can go straight to those.

Just to let you guys with High end systems know.... If you go into the oblivion.ini file and modify the line:

"uGridsToLoad=5" (default) to a higher value such as 7 or 10 it will load more grids ahead of your current grind meaning you will be able to see objects (rocks, ruins, etc) and hi rez ground textures from further away. However If you go too high it can make your hard drive go nuts and thus affect frame rate.

for my system (3500+ @ 2.5/GF7800gt/1g ram) I find 7 to be fine and 10 was a bit too harsh on my system. But hey maybe someone can load 40 grids ahead without penalty >_>

you can also modify the grass distance

fGrassEndDistance=
fGrassStartFadeDistance=

and change those for better looks.

I am still playing with the ini and i hope someone will have a definitive guide soon as to what does what.

aces155 said:
From what I hear I am glad I got a 1280x1024 native rez LCD monitor.

fx-60, asus a8n32-sli deluxe, sli PNY 7800GTX 256, and 4gigs of Corsair 3500LL pro.

2 more weeks until my phase change system gets here for my proc. I cannot wait to see how good this game looks! WOOT!

You know that you'll get better gaming performance with only 2Gb of that memory?

skidmarq said:
You know that you'll get better gaming performance with only 2Gb of that memory?
Explain that one Mr. Big shot.

Going to 2T is only a 3-5% performance loss. Well, I'd double the memory for a 3-5% loss in going to 2T.

I suppose the question would be how often the gameplay will be using more than 2GB of memory at any one time...?

Hmm this is really beginning to PISS me off. I thought I had the settings good, but now when im out in the middle of the forrest I CANNOT even play with grass on.

2600+
1gb
6800 GT OC

On MEDIUM settings .... THIS IS REDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theNoid said:
Hmm this is really beginning to PISS me off. I thought I had the settings good, but now when im out in the middle of the forrest I CANNOT even play with grass on.

2600+
1gb
6800 GT OC

On MEDIUM settings .... THIS IS REDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't feel bad, I can't play with any grass on either.

sakurakana1003 said:
Don't feel bad, I can't play with any grass on either.

Its just terrible though, I really think the game is fun.. but quite honestly these video problems are making me want to fucking crack my disk and write a letter to the dev. I mean I meet the 'recommended' specs, minus my cpu a bit .. and I cannot even handle medium textures is grass off, and everything dumbed down ... WTF.

I am supposed to go dump another $1500 into my pc every time a game releases just to play it ?

Stu55 said:
Even with a 7800 GTX and an X2 cpu?!?!

I play with grass on, but I'm not trying to play at my lcd's native res with all of the settings maxed, and I'm not a framerate whore hehe.

I play at 1280x720, scaled to aspect ratio

with grass sliders all the way up and trees and actors 3/4 of the way up with vsync disabled and hdr on.

I get 20-35 fps running around outside, occasional dips below that, but I get 40-70 indoors almost constantly.

The game runs well for what it is trying to do, and a hell of a lot better than Morrowind in terms of performance. That said, it isn't the world's most efficient engine by any stretch of the imagination.

Andrmgic said:
I play with grass on, but I'm not trying to play at my lcd's native res with all of the settings maxed, and I'm not a framerate whore hehe.

I play at 1280x720, scaled to aspect ratio

with grass sliders all the way up and trees and actors 3/4 of the way up with vsync disabled and hdr on.

I get 20-35 fps running around outside, occasional dips below that, but I get 40-70 indoors almost constantly.

The game runs well for what it is trying to do, and a hell of a lot better than Morrowind in terms of performance. That said, it isn't the world's most efficient engine by any stretch of the imagination.

What monitor are you using? Because with the 2405FPW driver I don't have the the option of 1280x720. 1600x900, 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 are all I have for widescreen.

sakurakana1003 said:
Yup, at 1680x1050 or 1920x1200, doesn't make much of a difference which. Neither will run above 30fps if I turn on grass.

muahaha , nvidia=PWNT ,

anyways ,my oc x1900 is doing really good but ,

to really enjoy this game in full detail and high res we need twice the

power of x1900 and i dont mean crossfire , because so far crossfire has been worthless,.

this game really shows how much todays video cards suck ,even the high end

I think it has more to do with the game engine then the current generation hardware. Remember, this game is from the makers of Morrowind... Remember Morrowind? I don't think a high end system can run it with all things maxed out and achive solid FPS and it's been how long since it's release?

Anyways, I'm playing it on a P4@ 3.2GHZ, 1.0GB of Ram & ATI x800xl... Running @ 1024x768, Med details x4 AA/AF getting very acceptable frame rates... Wish I could pump it up, can't though.

I would say I am better off this time with Oblivion than I was with Morrowind. When I first got Morrowind my PC had a hard time with it. One upgrade later and it was better but still not great and finally another upgrade later down the road it ran really good but started to look outdated. With my current PC AMD 3700 with a 6800 GT (agp), I don't have any problems but rez could be higher (1024x768) and draw distance could be better. I havent played around with settings yet but I think that I am right on the edge where if I upped anything I'll lose playability. I'll be playing this game again with Max on everything when the new processors come out.

My desktop runs it at 1024x768 at High quality with no problems. Auto-detected, I haven't bothered trying to change anything.

I'm tempted to install it on my laptop just to see how it runs. (Inspiron E1705 w/ GeForce 7800 Go)

my 7800gt runs it decently, but not as good as i was hoping for this game is mad demanding.

i remmber when morrowind came out i was using a pretty up to date machine and it still had somewhat of a hard time running the game, just as my up to date system is have somewhat of a hard time with this game. funny thing is that with my current system when i play morrowind and im outside in a town with alot of people and buildings i still get in the 30 fps range, its freakin weird.

X2 3800+
1gb 2-2-2 DDR400
X1800XL

everything stock, hopefully not for long

1280x960
major sliders to the right
minor sliders (xtra shadows) about 1/2 way
HDR on
no AA

feels okay, a little stuttering here and there

KSNIPPY said:
my 7800gt runs it decently, but not as good as i was hoping for this game is mad demanding.

Many, including me, have thought the same thing. I really expected my 7800 to do a little better than it is doing right now. Either drivers aren't fully optimized yet (I'm running 84.25 though), or the game itself could have used more optimizations. Because honestly, the game looks great and all, but it doesn't look like it should be choking my 7800 GTX THIS MUCH.

Clawhammer 3400+
X800 Pro
1 Gb Value Select

Other non-impressive bits.

1024x768
High + bloom and 2xAA, as well as all the draw distances and goodies turned up to full. I get 30+ frames constantly.

I am very impressed, both with the game and my computer. FTW.

sakurakana1003 said:
Many, including me, have thought the same thing. I really expected my 7800 to do a little better than it is doing right now. Either drivers aren't fully optimized yet (I'm running 84.25 though), or the game itself could have used more optimizations. Because honestly, the game looks great and all, but it doesn't look like it should be choking my 7800 GTX THIS MUCH.

What kind of settings are you running again?

Looks like this might help with things, some people are reporting a good performance boost:
Installed CoolBits - Changed (in Additional Direct3D Settings)
Max frames to render ahead to "0" .. it was set to "3".
All stuttering and "mouse lag" is gone. The game runs like a dream, and is amazing to play.

Colonel Sanders said:
What kind of settings are you running again?

I actually have no idea which "level" I'm at right now since I messed aorund with the settings and changed quite a few things. But the thing is that even at 1024x768, turning on any bit of grass will slow the FPS dramatically, but I'm natively running at 1920x1200, I believe most everything is on high, no grass. Runs okay, could be better.

sakurakana1003 said:
I actually have no idea which "level" I'm at right now since I messed aorund with the settings and changed quite a few things. But the thing is that even at 1024x768, turning on any bit of grass will slow the FPS dramatically, but I'm natively running at 1920x1200, I believe most everything is on high, no grass. Runs okay, could be better.

Are you using AA and/or Aniso?

Guys, I have noticed that when I uncheck vsync at the startup options, my frames increased by 15fps. This is of course with a dell 2405 at 65mhz with 1920x1200 resolution +HDR and forced 4X AA (control panel). I noticed that the fps seemed to be capped at 30ish in some places and go down to 20s outside with lots of npcs around. When i disable vsync, there did not seemed to be any changes in video quality but my fps are now at high 30s at the most demanding areas.
I am now satisfied. Now, if I can get myself to actually play the quests instead of roaming the streets and marvelling at the environments...

magnuspah said:
Guys, I have noticed that when I uncheck vsync at the startup options, my frames increased by 15fps. This is of course with a dell 2405 at 65mhz with 1920x1200 resolution +HDR and forced 4X AA (control panel). I noticed that the fps seemed to be capped at 30ish in some places and go down to 20s outside with lots of npcs around. When i disable vsync, there did not seemed to be any changes in video quality but my fps are now at high 30s at the most demanding areas.
I am now satisfied. Now, if I can get myself to actually play the quests instead of roaming the streets and marvelling at the environments...

Do you mean a 2405 @ 60 hertz?

I haven't tried disabling vsync yet but the game's making me nauseous (literally) because of the jerkiness. I'm hoping dropping vsync and using the coolbits fix (for a 6800GT) does the trick. I'm getting around 15 fps @ 1920x1200 which is better than I expected (and not a ton lower than 1280x1024.) If I can at least get 30 @ 1280x1024 I'll be happy, getting that @ 1920x1200 will make me REALLY happy. Getting rid of the nausea feeling will make me explode with happiness. Bethesda releasing a PC oriented interface will make the world sing, wars stop and rivers turn to wine.

Still waiting for some reports from 7900GT SLI users. Anyone? Please? I want to see numbers before I buy another one :)

theNoid said:
Its just terrible though, I really think the game is fun.. but quite honestly these video problems are making me want to fucking crack my disk and write a letter to the dev. I mean I meet the 'recommended' specs, minus my cpu a bit .. and I cannot even handle medium textures is grass off, and everything dumbed down ... WTF.

I am supposed to go dump another $1500 into my pc every time a game releases just to play it ?

Hmm... you're minues the cpu quite a bit... sorry but the 2600+ is still on a 333hmz bus and is a few worlds away from the 3 ghz P IV that they recommend. I'm guessing you're bus and CPU limited.

haha, game runs like shit on my rig.

Auto-detect put me at, 640x480 medium detail. no hdr, aa or af.

p4 3ghz, 1gig ddr, 9800pro 256meg.

Don't really understand it as I run q4, doom3 and hl2 all at 10x7 high detail.

sakurakana1003 said:
What monitor are you using? Because with the 2405FPW driver I don't have the the option of 1280x720. 1600x900, 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 are all I have for widescreen.

I'm using a HP F2105 21"

You can add custom resolutions via the nvidia control panel, which is what I did.

So I'm not entirely sure why the Dell 2405FPW wouldn't support that.

Mine also has a setting in the monitor menu "Scale to Aspect Ratio" which will give me max screen space while preserving the aspect ratio, it doesn't look as sharp as one to one, of course.. but there isn't much loss in clarity.

Back