Obligatory "Best PC exclusive of 2013" thread

The business model is just different compared to consoles. The issue with the PC is there is no direct vested stakeholder for the platform like the consoles promoting developers to develop exclusively for it, since no one can benefit directly from that. You can compare this to for example with Sony and Naughty Dog, that type of scenario wouldn't work on the PC market with how it is currently setup. No one can benefit like Sony can, as it is directly vested in the Playstation, by keeping games like Uncharted/Last of Us exclusive to the PC.

Because of this you'll notice that PC exclusives, in today's multiplatform market, are only there due to the inherent merits of the platform. Prominently this means games typically suited for the platform, such as strategy (including MOBAs) and MMOs, or the easier barrier (lack of barriers) of entry (indie games, f2p). If you are going to make a traditional high budget game, with tens of millions of investment, it doesn't make sense to not make it multiplatform if you can (or if you aren't influenced in some other way) and the market is there for it.

Path of Exile for sure. Conquistadors was good too. I discovered War Thunder about a month ago and have enjoyed that immensely.

I'm getting impatient for all my kickstarters to actually be released, namely Carmageddeon, Grim Dawn, Project Eternity, and Wing Commander MMO aka RSI aka I don't even remember its real name anymore.

I believe you're referring to Star Citizen.

Sucks! Seriously, I tried it, its terrible.

War Thunder ftw

I didn't say good exclusives ;)

I'm getting impatient for all my kickstarters to actually be released, namely Carmageddeon, Grim Dawn, Project Eternity, and Wing Commander MMO aka RSI aka I don't even remember its real name anymore.

No kidding. They are taking FOREVER! I kickstarted Camageddon to what seems like a year and a half ago, and there still in the early to mid stages of completion. I'm not kickstarting any other games. Hell they should just do like every other developer *Cough EA* and release a Beta and give us patches till its a complete product.

Hrm, I'm struggling to think of any PC exclusives that grabbed me this year.

I'd completely disagree. Sure, there weren't a ton of PC gaming exclusives that made a huge impact. But there are some heavy hitters:
DOTA 2
SC2: HotS
Path of Exile
ArmA 3
Company of Heroes 2

Then there are the big hitter multiplatform games:
Dead Space 3
Crysis 3
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil 6
Bioshock Infinite
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Metro Last Light
Grid 2
Deadpool
Pay Day 2
Saints Row 4
Splinter Cell Blacklist
The Burea XCom Declassified
Final Fantasy 14 a Realm Reborn
Lost Planet 3
Rayman Legends
Call of Duty Ghost
Injustice Gods Among Us
XCOM Enemy Within
Need for Speed Rivals

There's been TONS of big titles to play this year. Some of it didn't review well. Some may not be your style. But I wouldn't call that a bad year for gaming. You can also look at all of the non-mainstream-blockbuster-type games, and the list grows. Add on top all of the big indie successes and the little indie gems and there's even more.

-edit-

Also, Crimson. Game of the Year is exactly that, the best get of the year. By definition there is one game that came out in 2013 that is worthy of the title of PC Exclusive Game of the Year. It will be the game you consider to be the best of the bunch, of the year. You may not like it as much as any number of games from any other year, but that's not the point.

Looking through your list there are some I forgot about. I didn't realize that xcom was last year, I thought it was 2012. TR, and metro:LL were the other two I enjoyed but the rest I didn't. Adding that to zelda and mario makes around 6 games released in 2013 that I liked...

Sorry, I don't know what "wut" stands for.

PC Exclusive GOTY 2013 has to be Dota 2.

Just looking at player numbers alone you could add every other PC exclusive this year together and not touch Dota 2 in concurrent player count.

Not to mention the huge reception this years international had and its impact on e-sports.

On top of that i think its one of the very few free to play titles to truly be done right.

PC Exclusive GOTY 2013 has to be Dota 2.

Just looking at player numbers alone you could add every other PC exclusive this year together and not touch Dota 2 in concurrent player count.

Not to mention the huge reception this years international had and its impact on e-sports.

On top of that i think its one of the very few free to play titles to truly be done right.

Your logic on player count would make any COD the best game ever, really want to go down that road ?

You know it was a bad year for PC gaming when a game with the worst netcode/online performance in recent history is being hailed as the best PC exclusive by a lot of people.

PC gaming really might be dead.

DotA2 is a well designed game, tbh. I'm just not that into MOBA style games anymore.

You know it was a bad year for PC gaming when a game with the worst netcode/online performance in recent history is being hailed as the best PC exclusive by a lot of people.
PC gaming really might be dead.

So did you only play games you hate this year? Any other personal nominees, or are you admitting that it is PoE? :D And CS:Go has pretty terrible online performance as well.

Exactly.

AOL contradicts obliv's logic.

Fair point, but to be honest, since we are talking about PC exclusives, add together every COD title on steam and it may hit 100K concurrent, 1/5th the average day of Dota. And Ghosts is shamefully low for being the latest greatest COD.

Also i think player count has to at least be considered when analyzing the impact of any particular game, sure indie game X may have been revolutionary but if only 10K people bought it, can it really be considered GOTY worthy? When games like Dota / League / WOW are entertaining millions per month?

Sure you cant look solely at player count or as you said the latest fad will top GOTY every year, but i think it should atleast be one of the factors in play. I gave two other factors to back my choice as well, esports, and F2p done right, and could add more, for example its massive content additions, updates, and community involvement through the workshop, ect.

Fair point, but to be honest, since we are talking about PC exclusives, add together every COD title on steam and it may hit 100K concurrent, 1/5th the average day of Dota. And Ghosts is shamefully low for being the latest greatest COD.

Also i think player count has to at least be considered when analyzing the impact of any particular game, sure indie game X may have been revolutionary but if only 10K people bought it, can it really be considered GOTY worthy? When games like Dota / League / WOW are entertaining millions per month?

Sure you cant look solely at player count or as you said the latest fad will top GOTY every year, but i think it should atleast be one of the factors in play. I gave two other factors to back my choice as well, esports, and F2p done right, and could add more, for example its massive content additions, updates, and community involvement through the workshop, ect.

I don't know. I'm not saying you don't have a point about player count being a factor but I would rather a game be judged on it's quality not a player count. Some games don't find an audience right away for a variety of reasons. It doesn't make them worse games it just makes them unpopular. In any case GOTY is just something we throw around in threads like this. In the end I doubt we care if someone else doesn't think our favorite game this year was any good.

Fair enough. I don't know anything about esports and don't pay enough attention to f2p titles. I never played the first dota so like asscreed which I've also never played any of, I'm not really inclined to backtrack dozens or more hours into old games to catch up.

Also remember that Free2play games attract a huge amount of players being free. They hit an otherwise un-tappable market of cheap-asses + underage kids (that don't have mommy's credit card) that no pay game could ever get.

True enough. POE has been randomly kicking me all day (not uncommon) and having to plan for desync in your build is pretty bad.

True enough. POE has been randomly kicking me all day (not uncommon) and having to plan for desync in your build is pretty bad.

I've logged close to 40 hours in PoE and haven't been kicked yet. Rubber banding, yes, but never been kicked.

I've logged close to 40 hours in PoE and haven't been kicked yet. Rubber banding, yes, but never been kicked.

Ouch. I didn't think it was that bad. I'm up over 300 hours and rubberbanding is basically non existent for me, which means their problems are much bigger and random.

Desync and rubberbanding are two different things. There is no rubberbanding in PoE, as that's not how their netcode works. There is desync, for sure. Similar in practice, different on the back end.

Desync and rubberbanding are two different things. There is no rubberbanding in PoE, as that's not how their netcode works. There is desync, for sure. Similar in practice, different on the back end.

Noted for future reference

Outlast was a PC exclusive...at least back when it came out it was. I enjoyed it.
Neverwinter is pretty fun, although certainly repetitious.
I think prior to Outlast and Neverwinter the last PC exclusive game I bought was Witcher 2...which of course ended up on consoles, too.

Back