O 5800, 5800, Wherefor Art Thou 5800?

Yours. You mean "whose". "Who's" means "who is" or "who has".

But no. Kyle just made the assumption that wherefore means where because it has where in it...and didn't even write it correctly either.

The fact is, you can be a tech enthusiast and still get your details correct. You'd not be so lenient on HardOCP for getting tech facts wrong as that's your interest. Since I happen to have an English Literature degree, I consider it important to try to reduce the number of MAJOR errors in interpretation, especially when it's for a major tech site which is going to spread that error to thousands of readers.

It's like editors who try to tell you to say something can "comprise of" (shudders) just because people are too misinformed or dimwitted to realise that something can only "comprise" something, never "comprise of".

This isn't an Anglo-American feud either: it's wrong in both.

But I wasn't trying to poke fun of Kyle so much as highlight the mistake. We all make mistakes. Heck, I make them ALL the time. But if we aren't big enough to swallow our pride and accept criticism, we're no better than schoolboys who blame the dog for eating their homework. I wrote my comment in the hopes that it would be taken on board in earnest and edited, but it was just joked off as unimportant.

In any case, if some of you forum posters and Kyle now realise that "wherefore" means "why", I've done some good.

If it doesn't show, I work in education, hence my desire to educate anyone and everyone wherever I can.

Peace be with you.

grammarnaziem5.jpg

Makes me glad I bought one at lunch as well as extremely lucky beucase right after placing my order, it was OOS.

I've been hounding my area Frys. On Monday, I was at the Las Colinas store, they looked up the 5870 and I saw there was one (Diamond) at the Arlington store. It was almost 9pm, so I went home & ordered it online for in-store pickup. Got the confirmation e-mail, but in the morning, got a cancellation e-mail saying there were none on-hand.

Friday I called all four stores: Las Colinas, Arlington, Dallas and Plano. They all had none in stock and one even said that both the Diamond and XFX 5870 listings we marked as discontinued. I dropped by the Las Colinas store for something else today and they told me the same thing. Maybe this just means new SKUs are incoming, but I'm really annoyed at the lack of stock all over. I've got a pile of new computer parts sitting in boxes because I have no video card to complete the build.

I should have looked at HardOCP earlier in the week. Even more annoyed now that I know I missed the challenge yesterday.

I've been hounding my area Frys. On Monday, I was at the Las Colinas store, they looked up the 5870 and I saw there was one (Diamond) at the Arlington store. It was almost 9pm, so I went home & ordered it online for in-store pickup. Got the confirmation e-mail, but in the morning, got a cancellation e-mail saying there were none on-hand.

That's funny! I tried to order and pick up that same Diamond card showing at the Arlington store. It was canceled of course but they still show one in stock. I demand a full store search and a shake down of all employees! That card is somewhere!

That's funny! I tried to order and pick up that same Diamond card showing at the Arlington store. It was canceled of course but they still show one in stock. I demand a full store search and a shake down of all employees! That card is somewhere!
I'm thinking it was some customer's cunning plan to hide the card and come back for it later. Only they forgot where they hid it. I'd be interested how many cancelled orders exist at that store thanks to that guy.

I Placed my Name on the Waiting List Last Month for an Asus 5870 and when I got my email that they were in, they were already sold by the Time I got there, so I'm right in with the rest of you People, dang short supply, and your best bet is to be quick on the Buy Button when they do show!

So at least Hardocp tried to ask ATI/AMD why the supply of 5800 is so weak. I wished we would have gotten more of a real answer. I have some experience in manufacturing and when we have a product stock out management freaks. The Sales people tell the customer that it is a minor issue and that we will have product for then in 'a few days' which is most times a load of crap since sales rarely knows what the heck is going on in production. So could it be TSMC is really having big problems and AMD is covering that up. "TSMC also has new 40nm machines as of September and that capacity is starting to now come online." What? Did someone at TSMC or AMD really under estimate the production needs to the point where they need additional 40nm machines. Come on. You have a card that beats anything NVIDIA has and they will not have an answer till 1Q10. And you get caught short supplied...poor planning and management. I mean I have been looking for a 5870 since the begining of November and have yet to get one. "There are daily production runs of 5800 series GPUs." ha "daily" I hope they are running 3 shifts a day. Its a shame that AMD/ATI have what seems to be a good card and they can't capitalize on it I only hope that they can get some cards available before Christmas

Time to send the ninja spies into the TSMC factories to get the real story? ;)

According to rumors, the 58xx chips are delayed additional 1-2 weeks due to screw-up at TSMC.. This fall has been really odd and bewildering.

According to rumors, the 58xx chips are delayed additional 1-2 weeks due to screw-up at TSMC.. This fall has been really odd and bewildering.

At any rate I can imagine a lot of nVidia executives, shareholders and others rubbing their hands in glee.

I suspect the 5870 chips are being reserved for 5970s... I mean, there ain't that many of them to go around in the first place..

Then look elsewhere. Newegg is hardly the be all and end all of component shopping. Especially with their pricing and shipping.

You are quite correct, however it is one of the few places where you can order from with peace of mind. Personally when I order something from there I know that it will be shipped out in a timely manor, packaged well, and if it's broke they will replace it hassle free. You can't say that for too many other online retailers.

I'm glad i got my 5870 a month ago at the 380.00 from Newegg. I was extremely lucky, as I tried to order an "in-stock" xfx 5870, but by the time I made it to the shopping card it was sold out. I was able to grab one of the last MSI cards - Minutes after i bought it they were sold out (along with all the other cards on the site).

Great quiet card that produces much less heat than the 4890's I replaced.

I picked up the last card fry's had last week ..it was a diamond 5870 open box ...they said it was tested upon return and it tested out ok so i got the open box fo 375 dineros..don't know why they returned it but the card works fine i ran cod mofern warfare2 @ full throttle 4x aa with my 9950 be amd be 4 gigs ram no crashes or hicups.. 3d mark score with my system was 14200 @1280/1040 no aa.. i though my score would be higher though..
neat thing for me is i got the card

Last edited:
I picked up the last card fry's had last week ..it was a diamond 5870 open box ...they said it was tested upon return and it tested out ok so i got the open box fo 375 dineros..don't no why they returned it but the card works fine i ran cod mofern warfare2 @ full throttle 4x aa with my 9950 be amd be 4 gigs ram no crashes or hicups.. 3d mark score with my system was 14200 @1280/1040 no aa.. i though my score would be higher though..
neat thing for me is i got the card

Think maybe the tard that jumped on it before you didn't realize it wouldn't fit in his case until after he got home and tried? His loss, your win

my case is a p182 antec,,i had to remove the middlefan housing previouse card was a 9800gtx..just wondering if i should step up to an amd 965 125 watt cpu to get a little more boost in performance

my case is a p182 antec,,i had to remove the middlefan housing previouse card was a 9800gtx..just wondering if i should step up to an amd 965 125 watt cpu to get a little more boost in performance

As most would say, that depends on what you're running now.
And before anyone else can say it, why not save yourself $25 and get a 955 and overclock it?
Running mine at 206 x 18.5 stable at 3.8ghz.

Yup the last one on the shelf and it was in original wrapping not a returned item. As I picked it up and was reading the box about 4 other ppl were staring me down. I think they were all trying to talk themselves into it and I beat them ... LawL ... Anyways I got it for 399.99 plus tax @ 9.3 %
myati5870.jpg

Why do people always put their video cards on the carpet? LOL. Just wondering.

Why do people always put their video cards on the carpet? LOL. Just wondering.

They can't wait to try out the wonderful RMA service shortly after receiving their wonderful new card :p

I set it on the carpet .... I didn't rub it on the carpet ... You have to have a huge buildup of static electricity to zap a video card ....

There have actually been quite a few 5850s in stock at newegg the past few days, including the xfx card the other night for a solid couple of hours. Can't say the same for the 5870 though...probably because of the 5970 just being released.

Well when given the choice between 2x5850 and 1x5970, I'd take the 5970 because of the Eyefinity working out of the box. I did debate on getting the 5850s but I decided on 5970 because of that feature. Plus getting the 5970 also opens up the possibility of Quadfire down the road! :D

Well when given the choice between 2x5850 and 1x5970, I'd take the 5970 because of the Eyefinity working out of the box. I did debate on getting the 5850s but I decided on 5970 because of that feature. Plus getting the 5970 also opens up the possibility of Quadfire down the road! :D

+1. But I have no choice. Ain't no way I can get that mofo in my rig! She's just too big. I had no choice but to go with the 2x5850 route, got the second card in hand today, but won't know about the goodness until I get home tonight. Can't wait...

Could always get a larger case ;)

Nah, it's not really the case, it's the water cooling arrangement. I've got my radiator and tubing taking up too much space. Don't wanna get all Sonda or PS3 with posting my rig pic, but you'll understand seeing this.

DSC04712.jpg

I've always been a "mid-range" card guy, but I X-fired yesterday with the 5850, and it rocks!

Doesn't make much sense why eyefinity worked out of the box with the 5970 but its apparently causing ati headaches implementing it on 2 seperate cards. :confused:

Doesn't make much sense why eyefinity worked out of the box with the 5970 but its apparently causing ati headaches implementing it on 2 seperate cards. :confused:

I know right? It totally sucks bananas. I'm actually waiting for the thin bezels from Sammy to come out, and really hoping that I don't get stuck with the 5850 x-fire not working with eyefinity.

Has anyone seen an Amazon pre-order become fulfilled? I've had my 5850 pre-ordered for nearly a month. Is there any indication that the pre-orders are shipping?

I have the same question. Did this get answered somewhere else in the thread?

Dig

After having upgraded my CPU I don't feel the need to upgrade my card anymore. At my native resolution of 1680x1050 I avg over 60fps in Borderlands with every quality setting on max. I used to want an even bigger monitor but I get decent real estate with a 22" and great fps...
Should I get a bigger monitor then I'll have to deal with lower framerates and the need to upgrade my vid card pretty often.

As it is now I can easily wait for prices to fall on the current or even next gen vid cards. I'm sitting pretty happy now.

Too bad I don't have 50 posts and therefore can't post on the For Sale/Trade board. PM me if you are interested, I only charge what I've paid.

TD & CC have the Sapphire 5850 back in stock as of 1:15PM EST for $309/ free shipping
Did yours ship? Mine sat in "Processing" all day after they verified my CC with a phone call, but now says "All Backordered." Dammit.

Out of curiosity...I picked up a Sapphire 5970 off newegg, it's supposed to get here Monday. I just noticed however that it is now listed as deactivated on newegg instead of just sold out like all the other ones (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102863&).

Were these cards discontinued or is there something wrong with them?

Several 5870s have gone deactivated then reappear all of a sudden. It's just how Newegg sometimes deals with out of stock items.

Back