NVIDIA to launch its GeForce GTX 880 next month, at under $500

They don't have price drops. They either move inventory or it gets put on the back of the shelf.

Retailers have been putting the 700-series on sale lately, and several manufacturers have been offering mail-in rebates recently. Might not be huge savings, but it's still effectively a short-term price drop.

There's no way the 880 is going to be slower than the 780 Ti. Even if they price it at $500.
Why not?

This could simply be pitched as a refresh. Similar performance with drastically reduced power consumption and price-tag.

Not saying that's what they're doing in this instance, but it's totally possible.

If the 880 is 200W TDP or higher it is going to be faster than the 780ti easily. The only way it could possibly be slower is if they seriously undercut on the TDP budget, 150W TDP or less.

The 750ti is a 60W TDP part and performs 3 times faster than the similarly configured 65W TDP Kepler. Kepler scaled linearly with more cores , all indications are that maxwell also will.

Releasing same performance next gen? I seriously doubt it. There's no point to the 800 series, because on the desktop nobody cares about power consumption except for OEMs. It would be a huge freakin' waste of time. NV had some stinkers in their history, but I don't believe Maxwell as an architecture would fall under that category. It just isn't NV's way to release same performance cards under the x80 monkier, they like being the best with the highest performing halo GPU (which they have owned the title to more often than not).

But we can debate this all day, so for the sake of not letting this turn into a retarded thread like the "NV won't use Mantle" thread, I guess we'll just have to wait and see next month. My bet is this: at the very least, a 480 > 580 type of transition although it could be more if NV ups the TDP higher than 200W. Although the transistor budget may be iffy past 220-225W TDP. Point remains though at 200W TDP it will be faster....heck at 175W TDP i'm pretty sure it would still be faster. The 580 was 15-18% faster than the 480 with the same uarch (Fermi), maxwell of course has higher performance per watt so it will perform substantially better than kepler when configured for a similar TDP. So 15-30% depending on what the final TDP target is.

Anyways, like I said, we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Is there any info on how long it will be until custom cards are out after the initial release? I'm hoping to get one of the EVGA hydro cards.

well at this point, if i could get 780ti's with 6gb or more vram i would be happy.

The 750ti is a 60W TDP part and performs 3 times faster than the similarly configured 65W TDP Kepler. Kepler scaled linearly with more cores , all indications are that maxwell also will.

Typo? It is ~2x faster than a GTX650.

Edit- Your rant about performance... it totally depends on the design goals. If they want to have the max performance/watt, it could possibly end up slower than GK110.
If you want max balanced performance, you tend to lose some efficiency.

Last edited:
Stop with the more memory is better bullshit. ITs LAZY developers/coders!! Lets be honest here, other than shotty netcode and crazy hit boxes, BF4 has some of the best graphics this day. Can Watch Dogs Match it? Hell no, not without mods. Why? Lazy developers. Same with Wolfenstien, played great on Ultra with my 2 GTX 660 TI's 2GB variety. And yes, it let me for some reason.

I am starting to think some of you are company plants. More memory equals higher prices. Mostly everyone of these games BF4 excluded is mainly developed on DX9, with a few DX11 enhancements! So why do games primarily developed on DX9 need more than 1.5GB?? LAZY DEVLOPERS! They forgot about Compression or don't want to fool with it.

Watch dogs treats VRAM like unified memory on the consoles. No compressed textures, nothing. The epitome of lazy developers who just don't give a crap about the PC, not to mention it doesn't look that great. Sorry BF4 and Crysis 3 look miles better than watch dogs and still play just fine on lesser VRAM. But what do you expect from ubisoft these days, they've proven time and time again that they don't care about the PC.

Like I said though, for the 2 people who want it, i'm sure 880 8GB will be around. Even though it's a waste. People can argue all day long about 4GB not being enough, so if you're one of those folks, buy 8GB and be done with it. It's that simple.

Stop with the more memory is better bullshit. ITs LAZY developers/coders!! Lets be honest here, other than shotty netcode and crazy hit boxes, BF4 has some of the best graphics this day. Can Watch Dogs Match it? Hell no, not without mods. Why? Lazy developers. Same with Wolfenstien, played great on Ultra with my 2 GTX 660 TI's 2GB variety. And yes, it let me for some reason.

I am starting to think some of you are company plants. More memory equals higher prices. Mostly everyone of these games BF4 excluded is mainly developed on DX9, with a few DX11 enhancements! So why do games primarily developed on DX9 need more than 1.5GB?? LAZY DEVLOPERS! They forgot about Compression or don't want to fool with it.

you will see many lazy developers next year :rolleyes:

At this point 8GB of memory is the better choice. 4GB is already limited in some games especially at high resolutions.

I suspect it's less about developers being "lazy" and more about the budget, time and political constraints placed on the project by people who are decidedly not developers.

While we're criticizing people let's also throw in the consumer who thinks software should be free or, at most, no more than the price of a Snickers bar at the convenience store.

Honestly, it kinda pisses me off when a few of my friends talk about how they pirate games. On the other hand, I understand. I was a starving student at one time as well, so I get it. That doesn't make it right, and that's most confusing thing about kids these days. They think they have a "right" to pirate software. I think it's BS.... Personally when I did it years and years ago, I never once kid myself into thinking it was the right thing to do.

I'll also add - we have game reviews on day zero on practically everything now. There really isn't a need to pirate a game. If a game sounds like a stinker, don't buy it! Day zero game reviews didn't really happen so much in the earlier days, so I could see people pirating because of that. Even though it wasn't the right thing to do.

I personally don't think it's cool - I know a few software devs and trust me, it isn't a glamorous job. The publishers make the money but the guys putting the blood sweat and tears in work long hours and don't get paid as much as they should for it. To add insult to injury, many times they're laid off after a project ships. The money spent on a game goes directly towards their keeping a job and their paycheck, which i'm more than happy to pay the price of admission for if a game is good.

I hear you on that side of the argument. I don't think forgives developers from creating these types of ports, though - there's definitely money in PC gaming and digital sales are higher than they've ever been on the PC despite piracy. Yes, piracy is a problem, but sales are still fairly robust it seems.

edit **I just realized that you may not be referring directly to piracy. Oops.

Last edited:
At this point 8GB of memory is the better choice. 4GB is already limited in some games especially at high resolutions.

What games? I thought it was just watch dogs that had the problem with high vram usage.

What games? I thought it was just watch dogs that had the problem with high vram usage.

Yeah, the only way 4GB isnt' enough is if you use stupidly high surround resolutions (i'm talking triple 4k or triple 1600p, and 4GB should still be enough even then) and/or using SSAA/downsampling settings so absurdly high that it cuts your performance by 80%.

Given how pathetic the next gen consoles are, I just don't see VRAM being an issue unless bad programming makes it an issue. As was the case with Watch Dogs treating VRAM like unified console memory.

THAT BEING SAID...If you want 8GB...go buy 8GB! Who cares. It's not really worth debating because if you want more VRAM, you can certainly buy more VRAM.

Yeah I wasn't thinking so much in terms of piracy as I was in just the general sentiment that software should be free. (And maybe it should be, maybe not.)

Most of the software people use on a daily basis is free. And if they do buy software they generally want it to be app-style cheap. $1.99 or if it's a game maybe $5-$10. And if it's a $1.99 app and doesn't deliver the moon, expect to get a 1-star review on the store. (I mean the $1.99 Snickers bar doesn't exactly blow my socks off either... but hey it was only $1.99, I'm not going to neg the company.)

Somebody wouldn't question paying a lawyer $400/hr or dropping $10k in closing costs on a home... but price software at $25-50 and you start to lose people. They drop off a cliff dramatically.

And JMO but I think software development work is harder work than some of the stuff out there that pays $400/hr, and probably better contributes to society, but meh.

Typo? It is ~2x faster than a GTX650.

Edit- Your rant about performance... it totally depends on the design goals. If they want to have the max performance/watt, it could possibly end up slower than GK110.
If you want max balanced performance, you tend to lose some efficiency.

agreed on your points.

880 will not be much for performance and with rumored specs may just be slower than 780ti in bandwidth intensive situations related to high resolutions. Not withstanding will be a good card for those on a lower budget to get 780ti performance cheaper with improved power statistics. it is what is, nvidia should start using the new node ASAP as the new 880 cards will not hold up for very long performance wise given the Titan has been available for years.

Still don't understand your complaining, like I said, i'm sure 8GB will be available so why bother? Just curious. Go buy 8GB, jeesh.

Because I have a very well clocked wc 290x and I don't want to spend another 600$ to make up for developer waste and laziness!

Yeah, you took that on a tangent I don't think anyone else was thinking about. Might want to talk to your shrink about this. ;)

Wtf why does Nvidia do this!? Hmm I guess their plan is to skip a generation because they have their new architecture in the pipeline for the next series? So get ready for a new naming convention. Looks like I will be skipping the 900 series and waiting for the XXXX? XX? X?

Wtf why does Nvidia do this!? Hmm I guess their plan is to skip a generation because they have their new architecture in the pipeline for the next series? So get ready for a new naming convention. Looks like I will be skipping the 900 series and waiting for the XXXX? XX? X?

Apparently to match their mobile GTX 900M series for ultrabooks (releasing later this year? For broadwell core-M? Shrug..). They wanted all Maxwell cards for mobile dGPUs and desktop dGPUs to fall under the same 900 family or something something. Since there's a GTX 800m series already, they wouldn't match across desktop and ultrabook.

At least that's what videocardz mentions in the article. Who knows. Who cares.

Damn it i have my Swift monitor here and no gpu's to use it, so tempted to just grab a 780 ti in the interim, but alot of money just so i don't have to wait haha.

So whats the up to date release info or educated guesses, late this month or earlier?

So whats the up to date release info or educated guesses, late this month or earlier?

Latest rumor has a paper launch scheduled for Sept 9th/10th, with availability on Sept 19th..

http://videocardz.com/51426/nvidia-to-skip-geforce-800-series-geforce-gtx-980-and-gtx-970-mid-september

It would be the ultimate form of marketing suicide for them to make a new product announcement on the exact same day that Apple's holding a "big event" to announce the iPhone 6 or whatever (or even anywhere near the 9th, as the press will completely bury any 900-series news with the constant Apple articles and discussion everywhere).

Unless Nvidia are complete idiots, they really need to make their announcement *this week*.

Latest rumor has a paper launch scheduled for Sept 9th/10th, with availability on Sept 19th..

http://videocardz.com/51426/nvidia-to-skip-geforce-800-series-geforce-gtx-980-and-gtx-970-mid-september

It would be the ultimate form of marketing suicide for them to make a new product announcement on the exact same day that Apple's holding a "big event" to announce the iPhone 6 or whatever (or even anywhere near the 9th, as the press will completely bury any 900-series news with the constant Apple articles and discussion everywhere).

Unless Nvidia are complete idiots, they really need to make their announcement *this week*.

I can't imagine the overlap between the two products is that significant.

I can't imagine the overlap between the two products is that significant.

There isn't much of an overlap but he has a fair point: most tech sites will be focusing on the iPhone 6, A8 SoC, iOS 8, iUnderwear and whatever else gets announced.

There's usually a week's worth of stories on places like AnandTech, Engadget, etc. and NVIDIA's announcement would be relegated to some low-end sidebar somewhere.

There's usually a week's worth of stories on places like AnandTech, Engadget, etc. and NVIDIA's announcement would be relegated to some low-end sidebar somewhere.

Yeah, exactly this.

The Nvidia announcement would get buried quickly, because most outlets have a very bad habit of writing multiple articles for each and every Apple product announced (last minute rumors of the new iPhone, official press release, live-blog at the event, hands-on, pricing, carrier availability, new charger, new maps, iWatch watch bands, new iOS revision, etc). It gets bad very quickly, and doesn't let up the entire week.

And even mainstream outlets, like the CNN or USA Today Tech section, might skip reporting on the 900-series altogether (when they might have done an article on an otherwise slow tech news day).

Perhaps Jen-Hsun and Co are still upset over the preferential treatment that Apple got for 20nm at TSMC, and think that announcing on the same day would be like saying "hey, fuck you guys"? I'm positive that such a notion would backfire on them, but can't really think of any other reason they'd do something so stupid from a marketing standpoint.

Last edited:
Though I really doubt Apple will delay their precious release date I do hope they get held under a fire for all the personal info that has been leaked in the past day or two maybe netting Nvidia some extra press coverage. Though I assume all the iTards and media that will come to the event will brush it off and sploodge on the (admittedly nice) sapphire glass iPhones...

Back OT, this close to release has there historically been scheduled press conferences that we can assume will be launch day?

I don't give a damn what it's called - my twin 560Ti/448s are getting long in the tooth and I'm perfectly happy with 1200p as a gaming/general purpose resolution. A single 970 or 980 should last me quite a while and *hopefully* offer me at least 150% over what I currently have in a single card config. I'd even take 125% just to be free of SLI.

Just to put in what I've heard.
Press event is sometime during Sept 9-12.
NDA ends on Sept 19th on some of what was covered during press event.

Availability is questionable.
Some are saying before the end of September, some are saying mid-Oct.
I'm going to guess, limited availability(air-freight) in Sept with most of the larger shipments coming later.

Perhaps Jen-Hsun and Co are still upset over the preferential treatment that Apple got for 20nm at TSMC, and think that announcing on the same day would be like saying "hey, fuck you guys"? I'm positive that such a notion would backfire on them, but can't really think of any other reason they'd do something so stupid from a marketing standpoint.

Uhm. then when do you think would they announce it?

Iphones should come out late September, so NV is hard locked during September...

Uhm. then when do you think would they announce it?

Iphones should come out late September, so NV is hard locked during September...

Or they could even push it a week later, and do the press releases and announcements on the 15th or 16th.. though that might be a little too close to the NDA lift and possible product availability on the 19th. But *anything* is better than trying to compete with Apple for press coverage.

Hey, maybe Apple's launching a gaming rig that features the 980, and Nvidia is doing their reveal at Apple's big event to co-launch it? :eek: :D

Back