NVIDIA Swamped with Extra Inventory

As to massive inventory run-up, due to crypto returns falling!?!?

No way!!!

Crypto only represents a small amount of q4, 2017 and q1, 2018’s world record breaking video card sales!!! All these cards are being sold for machine learning and AI!!!

/s

Just wait... All we need is AMD to release a video card that is truly competitive at 4k 60hz gaming and we are set.

While I would love to believe this "news", I am going to wait for more credible sources of information first. It does sound logical and makes sense. I was wondering myself some time ago if this could in fact be the reason for the Volta delay. However as others have pointed out, if there is a glut of Pascal inventory out there, why are we not seeing fire sales on the cards at the retailers? The only way this report could be true is if this excess inventory is still working its way through the channel. And we should see that happening within the next couple of weeks if that is the case.

Still just hoping the 1180 releases in July, there's a price drop on the 10xx series, and I will be able to buy a 1050 ti at MSRP. Barring that, hoping maybe I can pick up a 1050 "refresh" version that has the 3 gigs of RAM onboard, since I only own a 1080p monitor hoping that would be enough. Needs to happen soon, my 750 ti is showing its age, but I wanna keep this rig alive til 2020.

This would support my perceptions about how it seems that NV has just been mix matching every spare part on hand to push out cards recently. Pascal started out as something pretty cool but over the course of the last 2 years it's really become a Frankenstein monster. Average consumers almost need a degree to navigate thru all the variations now. As many others have mentioned, prices don't jive either.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Sure in a couple of years when the 1060 become irrelevant.

with 2060/1160 expected to have 1080 performance in sub $300 pricing i would expect the upcoming 2050ti/1150ti to have at least have 1060 performance for sub $150 pricing. then we might see RX570/GTX1060 3GB performance in sub $100.

with 2060/1160 expected to have 1080 performance in sub $300 pricing i would expect the upcoming 2050ti/1150ti to have at least have 1060 performance for sub $150 pricing. then we might see RX570/GTX1060 3GB performance in sub $100.

...if they ever get around to laubching them :p

While that was a popular price/perf gain in the past, I think things are more constrained now because of memory prices.

You might get a 580 for $250 and it will be a $50 break from.where it is now.

A 1060 will be priced at $260 because it's NVIDIA.

To protect margings the 1180 will be $1600.

A 1170 (1080ti rebadge) will be $700 I bet

The good news is miners will push for more efficiency so the 1170 will actually be in stock close to it's msrp.

Maybe they should sell the surplus to AMD and then AMD would finally have a competitive gaming GPU... I kid, I kid... I'm not trolling, I promise!

I love the conspiracy theory bull shit attached to this.

Market prognostication is part of every business, even more so as a manufacturer. Some times you're going to get it wrong, and yeah, you need to clear your old stock before you launch a new product or acquire new stock. It's just good business and it's nice for nVidia that they can do it. They don't owe anyone shit in terms of new tech, until they have competition we'll get what we get.

Let's face it, predicting the rise and fall of crypto scams is utterly impossible.

NVIDIA said they were ramping up production to get cards in gamers hands.

Let’s be honest, no one on Nvidia’s board of directors was pounding the desk at head office saying “OMG you guys, we need to get more GPUs into the hands of gamers, stat! This is a top priority, there are people out there that want to upgrade their gaming machines and they can’t right now because of miners”. They said that because they knew a segment of their market was pissed off that people were buying up plane loads of cards to mine fake currency, but at the end of the day, they are there to make money. I’m pretty sure Nvidia doesn’t give a crap about who’s buying their cards, as long as they’re flying off the shelves, I’m sure they’re cool with it. Any production increases would be done to fill overall demand, not because they “care about gamers”.

I think the future of pc gaming is 100$ to 200$ cards.

Probably not. I shelled out more than that for an 8800GTS, over double that for a 7970, and likewise for a 1080. That spans what? A long time. I don't recall how much I paid for my 3dfx card, but with inflation I'm sure it was more than that as well. That's like 20 years of GPU-buying, a decent sample size.

Let’s be honest, no one on Nvidia’s board of directors was pounding the desk at head office saying “OMG you guys, we need to get more GPUs into the hands of gamers, stat! This is a top priority, there are people out there that want to upgrade their gaming machines and they can’t right now because of miners”. They said that because they knew a segment of their market was pissed off that people were buying up plane loads of cards to mine fake currency, but at the end of the day, they are there to make money. I’m pretty sure Nvidia doesn’t give a crap about who’s buying their cards, as long as they’re flying off the shelves, I’m sure they’re cool with it. Any production increases would be done to fill overall demand, not because they “care about gamers”.

While I agree with you at face value, there is an inherent danger here. If there is a viable alternative to your product, then ignoring your customer base could cost you in the long run.

Lets say AMD does ramp production and NVIDIA didn't. Lets also assume I'm a long time NVIDIA buyer because it just worked.

Now I have a choice between a RX580 and a hard to find 1060 which is $50 more. I get the RX580 because I'm tired of waiting. I discover that FreeSync is pretty nifty and now I'm an AMD convert.

I'm not saying AMD is better than NVIDIA. I'm just saying there's just an inherent danger in ignoring your customer base.

As it is now, the roles are also somewhat reversed for me. AMD has ignored top end gamer gear, instead opting for the semi custom market. And now for my next rig, I must buy from NVIDIA for a top end VR experience. But I HATE NVIDIA's business policies. If AMD offered something that is 90% of the performance for the same money I would be on top of AMD just to give NVIDIA the middle finger for their business practices.

At the end of the day the crypto market will eventually fail. That leaves embedded apps (ie: cars/switch/shield), AI, and gamers. And we as gamers are a significant chunk of the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably not. I shelled out more than that for an 8800GTS, over double that for a 7970, and likewise for a 1080. That spans what? A long time. I don't recall how much I paid for my 3dfx card, but with inflation I'm sure it was more than that as well. That's like 20 years of GPU-buying, a decent sample size.
Exactly.. its time. I guess in a way its already happening with APUs at the very low end of performance.. whoever is first for blowing the ceiling of price/ performance at the 100-200 dollar bracket, i think will have a winner. I ain't building no gaming pc with high price card anytime soon current low end cards can suck it too... As more time pases, the less and less chances of me thinking it makes any sense to build a gaming pc unless rock bottom prices.. I guess I am becoming less and less [H] gasp!

I think now that the gaming goodies are almost as good on a console as they are on a modern PC that gamers just care less and less about the video card as long as it looks good.

My son whom I would call a gamer I got a high end laptop for with a good dedicated video card. he gamed on that thing for easily 4 years. until it literally died. And he was perfectly happy with that gaming experience.

For the [H] amongst us we like to get the best bang for our buck but what we consider good bang for our buck would be over priced to non [H].

Like the 1070 I have. When I bought it it was as much as a PS4. But for me it was worth it. To a gamer they wouldn't care, would be just as happy gaming at 1080p with a 1050 or even a 970 as opposed to current Gen.

Now the question. WHY is Nvidia doing this.

I HOPE the answer is their new cards are such a leap in performance that even the low end is faster than the 1080ti and they know if they release it now it will be the only kind of card they sell to a discerning consumer. They might have to buy back vast quantities of stock from their vendors.

I suspect that as long as they hold the performance lead over AMD they don't have a reason to release their new line of cards. They can keep a hundred thousand or so sitting waiting until a competitor announces a faster card then release / reclaim the performance crown again in days/weeks.

I hope if that is the case that AMD's or lets say Intel's new card releases and is so much of a better performer that even Nvidia's new card can't keep up. I don't see that happening but OH would that be sweet!

I think now that the gaming goodies are almost as good on a console as they are on a modern PC that gamers just care less and less about the video card as long as it looks good.

My son whom I would call a gamer I got a high end laptop for with a good dedicated video card. he gamed on that thing for easily 4 years. until it literally died. And he was perfectly happy with that gaming experience.

For the [H] amongst us we like to get the best bang for our buck but what we consider good bang for our buck would be over priced to non [H].

Like the 1070 I have. When I bought it it was as much as a PS4. But for me it was worth it. To a gamer they wouldn't care, would be just as happy gaming at 1080p with a 1050 or even a 970 as opposed to current Gen.

Now the question. WHY is Nvidia doing this.

I HOPE the answer is their new cards are such a leap in performance that even the low end is faster than the 1080ti and they know if they release it now it will be the only kind of card they sell to a discerning consumer. They might have to buy back vast quantities of stock from their vendors.

I suspect that as long as they hold the performance lead over AMD they don't have a reason to release their new line of cards. They can keep a hundred thousand or so sitting waiting until a competitor announces a faster card then release / reclaim the performance crown again in days/weeks.

I hope if that is the case that AMD's or lets say Intel's new card releases and is so much of a better performer that even Nvidia's new card can't keep up. I don't see that happening but OH would that be sweet!

Early rumoers suggest ~30% improvement (Efficiency + clock bumps together) Kind of a yawner. But when you look at 980ti ->1080 the efficiency really didn't improve much. It was mainly from clock bumps/more processors.

Unless Volta does some incredible stuff without the tensor cores, I think NVIDIA might be hitting a wall on efficiency improvements. That only means more Cuda cores and clock bump improvements due to die shrinks. AMD seems stuck on efficiency improvements with GCN as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's be honest, Nvidia (or AMD or any other widget maker) does not care what happens with their product once it's sold. To think otherwise is folly.

Yes, thank you for reiterating exactly what I just said. They’ll publicly say things indicating they care about you, the gamer, but they really couldn’t care less. If the only customers for GPUs going forward were miners and AI, they would feel no different.

While I agree with you at face value, there is an inherent danger here. If there is a viable alternative to your product, then ignoring your customer base could cost you in the long run.

Lets say AMD does ramp production and NVIDIA didn't. Lets also assume I'm a long time NVIDIA buyer because it just worked.

Now I have a choice between a RX580 and a hard to find 1060 which is $50 more. I get the RX580 because I'm tired of waiting. I discover that FreeSync is pretty nifty and now I'm an AMD convert.

I'm not saying AMD is better than NVIDIA. I'm just saying there's just an inherent danger in ignoring your customer base.

As it is now, the roles are also somewhat reversed for me. AMD has ignored top end gamer gear, instead opting for the semi custom market. And now for my next rig, I must buy from NVIDIA for a top end VR experience. But I HATE NVIDIA's business policies. If AMD offered something that is 90% of the performance for the same money I would be on top of AMD just to give NVIDIA the middle finger for their business practices.

At the end of the day the crypto market will eventually fail. That leaves embedded apps (ie: cars/switch/shield), AI, and gamers. And we as gamers are a significant chunk of the market.

Your scenario assumes that there was somehow a surplus of AMD cards that gamers would gravitate to, except their isn’t, and there wouldn’t be because if there were, they would have been bought by miners. Either way, neither company would care. It all looks the same on the bottom line, and Nvidia is not, and never was, at risk of somehow alienating or losing the gamer base, even after that amazing GeForce partner program from last month.

So people actually believe what Nvidia and prognosticators online say? It'd be better to take what they say and completely invert it, meaning there is no glut, but they want you to think that so you'll buy a GPU that is 3-5% off retail, then put out the next gen right after your return window closes. You are welcome.

So people actually believe what Nvidia and prognosticators online say? It'd be better to take what they say and completely invert it, meaning there is no glut, but they want you to think that so you'll buy a GPU that is 3-5% off retail, then put out the next gen right after your return window closes. You are welcome.

I did a little more digging and there is a GLUT of 1050ti and below. How do I know this? Check the pricing spread between the 1060 and 1050ti and the availability. These cards are generally ignored by the mining community. And AMD competes more effectively here.

I did a little more digging and there is a GLUT of 1050ti and below. How do I know this? Check the pricing spread between the 1060 and 1050ti and the availability. These cards are generally ignored by the mining community. And AMD competes more effectively here.
Enjoy your outdated and gimped from the get go cards.

Back