NVIDIA Swamped with Extra Inventory

is there any problem with this anyway? it is not like nvidia in a rush to release something faster to the market because their competitor will have something cheaper and faster on the market anytime soon.

I don't see one really. They'll all get sold through one way or the other. NV might just have a take a small hit is all. Who knows, maybe another small uptick/boom in crypto might kick off again tomorrow, and they'll get snapped up for a 50% markup. It's really more or less a non-event.

Discrete graphics for laptops is a small portion of the market. I still doubt it's the MX130. 300K units is too big a switch to say laptops alone (which are steady) Nintendo Switch maybe.

NVIDIA said they were ramping up production to get cards in gamers hands. Looks like it might have bit them in the tail. That means it will likely never happen again no matter the shortage if this is true.
I almost forgot about being able to hack the Switch using a paper clip which may trigger something like this. But, Nintendo isn't Taiwanese, right?

Crypto is still easily manipulated with enough cash, particularly new ICOs. It would be interesting to see AMD or Nvidia buying a few million in crypto to spur mining profitability \ GPU demand.

So all the gamers who were whining loud, long and all righteous about how Nvidia needed to make tons of video cards so they could have all they wanted & lower the prices back to MSRP because they are "loyal virtuous gamers"....
So now all the cards you want, at prices lower than they have been for 8 months..... Whiners don't buy it seems...

Doesn't make sense to buy now when next gen is overdue. They waited too long. If NVIDIA ramped, they missed the Christmas season by 8 months.

I almost forgot about being able to hack the Switch using a paper clip which may trigger something like this. But, Nintendo isn't Taiwanese, right?

Nintendo uses Foxxconn and Hosiden to manufacture the switch.

Crypto is still easily manipulated with enough cash, particularly new ICOs. It would be interesting to see AMD or Nvidia buying a few million in crypto to spur mining profitability \ GPU demand.

Interesting point.

ohwee.. didnt take long before i said crypto would flop until it did, and ppl scoffed at this and predicted infinite growth haha. i guess it didnt fully crash yet, but who knows. bitcoin is like pokemon GO at some point everyone is hyped into it and few months later its over, ppl still play it but. ppl are so easily controlled and manipulated into it, like idiots on spiritual stupidity pages on facebook who could tell us that bitcoin was the dawn of the new era, mind altering, life changing currency! just to fire up under the hype, they probably invested in bitcoins themselves. it could be a good time to buy bitcoin or the time of making insane profits could be over, it probably is. crypto is as lame as all other currencies.

A little premature on the self backpatting there.

Crypto isn't flopping, it's not going to zero, there's too much real-money major player capital involved now. It goes in these cycles regularly and this is just the same type of cycle we saw back in 2013/14. Back then, it was fueled by Litecoin and then the cycle down (used card influx) happened when scrypt ASICs came along with a recession for value of the underlying coin, this made GPU mining ineffective (cheaper to buy coins than to mine them). The only ones left mining on GPU were the ones not good at math or that had free access to power.

Enter a few years back and Ethereum (iirc) became the GPU friendly algorithm (along with a few others). It had its frenzy period fueled by the overvaluation of Bitcoin during last year's craze until once again, ASICs and a receding value of coins started to drive prices to the point where it's cheaper to buy versus mine.

Crypto operates like any market vehicle, it cycles. As long as the cycle high and cycle low are making higher highs and higher lows, it's in an uptrend (which it is). We'll have a reprieve until it starts up again and people find value in mining on the GPU fueled by hype of likely a new coin. Rinse, repeat.

There was a point in 2008 where people proclaimed that the DJIA was going to zero and we were all doomed. No, overbought (a bubble, if you will) will correct, sometimes it overcorrects because of outside influence (rampant abuse driving negative sentiment).

Last edited:
Excess stock of lower-end GPUs could mean they have a lot of 1030's, 1050's, and 1060's. That might mean that either Nvidia held back these products in anticipation of an up-tick in mining or maybe the Ryzen 2200G and 2400G might have had a major impact on Nvidia sales. For $100 - $170 you could have an APU nearly as fast as a 1030 with a CPU nearly as fast as an Intel i7. This should effect AMD as well except that AMD cards are known to mine better and therefore maybe miners have no problem picking up a RX 550/560? I know a RX580 is better at mining than a GTX 1080 so I wouldn't be surprised if miners did scoop up low end AMD cards and completely ignored Nvidia. So maybe Nvidia held back low end cards to seem like they too have demand.

This is Nvidia's marketing team so anything is possible with them.

I strolled through a Fry's last weekend, and the gpu shelves were pretty much empty with most of the gpu's still marked over msrp. If there's an overstocking issue, it doesn't look like it's hit retail yet.

Nintendo uses Foxxconn and Hosiden to manufacture the switch.

Looking up switch sales suggest the Switch isn't the source.

I never understood sales of anything below 1060's. Maybe a 1050 if you only do e-sports. But anything below these cards really don't give you value for your dollar in the long term as they can't play current gen games at max settings @ 1080p. It often left me scratching my head.

Jesus, f-ing christ. The constant anti-nvidia rhetoric just because you're butt-hurt about some sales scheme you didn't like and being cold shouldered is getting boring. Can't you quit it with the ridiculous bias, it's getting even more boring than the anti-crypto bs.

Jesus, f-ing christ. The constant anti-nvidia rhetoric just because you're butt-hurt about some sales scheme you didn't like and being cold shouldered is getting boring. Can't you quit it with the ridiculous bias, it's getting even more boring than the anti-crypto bs.

What anti nvidia rhetoric? *blinks* We're trying to figure out where shortages might be. No bashing that I see of here.

Unless they are high end parts that Nvidia can repurpose, I bet they destroy them and write it off somehow

What anti nvidia rhetoric? *blinks* We're trying to figure out where shortages might be. No bashing that I see of here.

Yeah, I'm sure you've got no idea *blinks* not that there's daily some kind of negative article regarding nvidia, followed by positive articles about AMD. Same for Intel/AMD. I'm not particularly a fan boy either way, I have products from both, but it belittles you to be so constantly and obviously slanted. You're like the Fox News of hardware these days. At least come out and be honest about your bias if you're going to have one.

Or yeah, maybe I'm totally imagining it.

That's some next-level downplaying of some corrupt shit -- it didn't even come up yet. ;)

I agree. I heard rumors of the new top end Voltas being $1600. NVIDIA is in protect bottom line mode. Can't blame them. But they can lick my lilly white tail if that's the pricing.

I'm not investing in 2 year old tech for VR. That's like buying obsolesce. So I'll sit and wait till prices on next gen comes done.
Nn2wW3g0hwDEA.gif

Looking up switch sales suggest the Switch isn't the source.

I never understood sales of anything below 1060's. Maybe a 1050 if you only do e-sports. But anything below these cards really don't give you value for your dollar in the long term as they can't play current gen games at max settings @ 1080p. It often left me scratching my head.
If it is Nintendo, I bet they sent the Tegra chips back to be flashed somehow (even though most say they cannot do this) or since Nvidia purportedly sold the Tegra chips for next to nothing, maybe they wouldn't have a problem sending Nintendo a new batch of corrected chips since the Switch sales are continuing strong.

They need to price out their current generation like it was last generation. It will sell rapidly, if they can get the memory stock in place.

I just chalked up to him not having his coffee yet. I am kind of grumpy when I have not had mine, but,..then again,....I leave my computer off until I do. :)

I remember three months ago us having a discussion if NVIDIA/AMD should ramp up production due to mining shortages. This is why I argued no. You're seeing the natural comedown from the mining craze, nothing more.

Yeah, I'm sure you've got no idea *blinks* not that there's daily some kind of negative article regarding nvidia, followed by positive articles about AMD. Same for Intel/AMD. I'm not particularly a fan boy either way, I have products from both, but it belittles you to be so constantly and obviously slanted. You're like the Fox News of hardware these days. At least come out and be honest about your bias if you're going to have one.

Or yeah, maybe I'm totally imagining it.

I don't like nvidia's business practices. But I also say they have the best products available. Maybe you are confusing me with someone else. But I have no negative slant here.

I think Kyle is biased towards anyone who gives him a reason to go off on them. :) Hey,...controversy is a good thing when it drives your site. :D

Seriously,...is he just supposed to ignore the bad news? That would be stupid and I am pretty sure Kyle is not stupid. Then again, I do not know the man personally. :)

Shit, I tried to stay serious.

I think Kyle is biased towards anyone who gives him a reason to go off on them. :) Hey,...controversy is a good thing when it drives your site. :D

Seriously,...is he just supposed to ignore the bad news? That would be stupid and I am pretty sure Kyle is not stupid. Then again, I do not know the man personally. :)

Shit, I tried to stay serious.

I more see this site as a caller-outer-of-bullshit no matter who's providing the bullshit. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I disagree, sometimes I don't feel the bullshit is worth writing about, sometimes it's monumental. Either way, bias is the last thing I'd ever accuse this particular site or its owner of. Wallowing in the bullshit, perhaps :p

Last edited by a moderator:
More to fuel my desire to buy AMD gpu ...

Wait... what? Nvidia produces too much stock, and that makes you want to buy AMD?

Hey, if you want AMD cool, but I fail to see how anything being discussed here is fuel for that.

Maybe I'm missing something...

Unless they are high end parts that Nvidia can repurpose, I bet they destroy them and write it off somehow

Think of all those millions of "E.T" game cartidges that Atari buried.
The incentive to destroy them to keep market price "Status Quo" on the top tier cards is real.
Imagine 1060s at $100 or gasp.. $75 a piece.

Then a $300 price jump to the next tier.

It would be a disaster.

Bravo Zulu Nvidia.

I haven't read every post here, as I'm at work right now, and just skimming through, but from all the ones I did read, I'm not really seeing any evidence of your statement. In fact, my own post was a tongue-in-cheek jab at them. I'm one of those that enjoys NV products, don't have too much bad to say about them even with their track record, but what's to defend here? So they over-calculated stock requirements, and had to take a hit. Oh well. That's business.

I guess, rofl at someone coming into an already balanced thread trying to stir shit up?
You want to know one thing I've noticed?

Every time there is a negative story about Nvidia you run into the thread to defend them. Be it engaging in whataboutism, claiming you don't see what other people are seeing, or engaging in pretzel logic.

You have a pretty remarkable 100% consistency rate in terms of Defending Nvidia recently.

So who do you think you're fooling?

I stated all that for your benefit. The people on this foum have eyes and see the same things I do.

At best you are hyper partisan towards Nvidia, at worst, well, we know that Nvidia pays people to be on the take and pretend to be normal people defending them in formus like these.

Not saying which one you are since it doesn't hardly matter. Either end of the spectrum is grossly untrustworthy when it comes to having a rational discussion.

My money is still on a the July 30 launch, with 1180 coming out at 1080 Ti current msrp.
Makes sense to me, especially if the next-gen GPU can use some of the same board components (or even the same boards) as the 1000-series part it is replacing. Take the old GPUs out of the pipe, send out the new. Maybe even blow a few bits in the old GPUs back at the factory to downgrade them to 1050s or 1030s, then send them back out. Maybe.

We'll find out soon enough.

I say dealers have made a fortune on the crypto bulls$#%^
They are waiting on another run.

Back