nvidia surround?

Really? An attempt at an analogy using Valve and id? For an analogy to work, you would have to say "this situation is like if valve released a game, but certain guns didn't work. A later patch will fix this."

I'ts bad business, you would be rewarding bad business by accepting whatever is thrown your way, especially if it doesn't work as advertised

Bluestorm, no matter how you look at it, NVIDIA FUCKED UP. BIG TIME. I mean , REALLY BIG.

Everyone in this page has listed the reasons why this multi-million dollar company failed.

Pavan: I apology for the inconvenience caused. The 256 driver version will be released by the End of this month or by First week of June.
Pavan: Is there anything else I can help you with?

This is the sum of a chat with Nvidia customer care this morning.

every Steam survey, it's still less than 2 percent of users (with Crossfire far behind that).

The Steam survey also says most users run WinXP with 2GB RAM. Who gives a shit? Even if only two people wanted 3D Vision Surround it has nothing to do with the fact that a promised feature wasn't delivered.

The percentage of users who would use the feature is not an accurate index of the feature's importance. That is a myopic view.

Mindshare can matter just as much as marketshare. Nvidia's brand power,reputation, and consumer loyalty are all inextricably bound up with the niche PC enthusiast segment.

Disappointing that segment means that a customer who might spend $800 on your products every year now now provides you $0, gives his $800 to the competition instead, and convinces five of his friends to do the same thing. Meanwhile, the thousands of other people who don't even have an interest in three monitors still see threads like this one, find out the company strings along its customers with false advertising, and decide to shy away from the company next time.

Perception matters.

The percentage of users who would use the feature is not an accurate index of the feature's importance. That is a myopic view.

Mindshare can matter just as much as marketshare. Nvidia's brand power,reputation, and consumer loyalty are all inextricably bound up with the niche PC enthusiast segment.

Disappointing that segment means that a customer who might spend $800 on your products every year now now provides you $0, gives his $800 to the competition instead, and convinces five of his friends to do the same thing. Meanwhile, the thousands of other people who don't even have an interest in three monitors still see threads like this one, find out the company strings along its customers with false advertising, and decide to shy away from the company next time.

Perception matters.

Nah, only 500usd, since they don't always try to price...e consumers all the time :p

By that logic, SLI would be hugely popular because it works with 6-series, 7-series, 8-series, 9-series, GTX 2xx series, and GTX 4xx series.. but every Steam survey, it's still less than 2 percent of users (with Crossfire far behind that).

Now factor in the fact that for Surround, it takes 2 GPUS in SLI *and* 3 displays. That's a subset of a subset.... a subset of the 1.81% SLI users. It's a fraction of a fraction.

The crossfire count doesn't get counted correctly. There's been numerous people using crossfire that took the survey and it didn't show up as crossfire. Also, new technology like this could drive interest in SLI... not only for the GTX 400 series, but the GTX 200 series as well since the drivers are SUPPOSED to work with them as well for surround.

Also, since when did [H] people care about only appealing to the masses? If we went by the steam survey we should all just sell our core i7's and massive GPU setups for a 8800 GT/4850 and a Core2Duo / Quad. Why bother buying new hardware since it's not a big percentage on the steam survey? :rolleyes:

But ultimately the fact that it doesn't affect a large percentage of their market is the reason they don't give a crap about this, but that's no excuse to act the way they have been. And regardless of how you feel about nvidia, it's clear that people who bought an SLI setup for 3d surround are not amused by this turn of events. My roommate is one of those people. Their actions on this front speaks volumes about the company as a whole.

The crossfire count doesn't get counted correctly. There's been numerous people using crossfire that took the survey and it didn't show up as crossfire. Also, new technology like this could drive interest in SLI... not only for the GTX 400 series, but the GTX 200 series as well since the drivers are SUPPOSED to work with them as well for surround.

Also, since when did [H] people care about only appealing to the masses? If we went by the steam survey we should all just sell our core i7's and massive GPU setups for a 8800 GT/4850 and a Core2Duo / Quad. Why bother buying new hardware since it's not a big percentage on the steam survey? :rolleyes:

But ultimately the fact that it doesn't affect a large percentage of their market is the reason they don't give a crap about this, but that's no excuse to act the way they have been. And regardless of how you feel about nvidia, it's clear that people who bought an SLI setup for 3d surround are not amused by this turn of events. My roommate is one of those people. Their actions on this front speaks volumes about the company as a whole.

Crying about a feature that is so niche being a month or two late is just straight whining. Sorry but youre just not being reasonable. Youre going to have the cards for years. 2 months delay is not the end of the world.

Nice attempt at overgeneralizing my logic, but youve failed. Im not saying Surround doesnt matter.. I'm saying keep things in perspective... stop crying.

Perception matters.
Agreed. Perception has always been important for graphics card manufacturers. Holding the performance 'crown' has, historically speaking, been of critical importance if not hugely important for profits, and just as important as performance is features.

I'm not investing in a multi-display setup right now, but would I prefer that my GPU to support it? Absolutely. Being able to expand upon my gaming experience in a pinch without any constraints is something I value as a consumer. If something as simple as a lack of the right driver is what potentially holds me back from that, well, then that's ultimately disappointing.

Crying about a feature that is so niche being a month or two late is just straight whining. Sorry but youre just not being reasonable. Youre going to have the cards for years. 2 months delay is not the end of the world.

Nice attempt at overgeneralizing my logic, but youve failed. Im not saying Surround doesnt matter.. I'm saying keep things in perspective... stop crying.

It is up to each individual customer or potential customer to determine whether or not they are being reasonable. If people are shelling out $1000-2000 for a set up like this, what the fuck does it matter to you whether or not they are pissed?

Bluestorm, if the roles were reversed, would you give ati as much leeway?

Nope, didn't think so.

This is January 2007 all over again with these guys. Promising the world and then not delivering on it and then not even having the decency to give a solid ETA. Basically like a dog shitting on the carpet and hoping the owner won't notice or say anything about it. It's piss poor business and terrible customer support.

Sorry but youre just not being reasonable.

Its unreasonable to expect a feature listed on the fucking box to be released?

Fuck. That.

Only one being unreasonable here is you, buddy. You're the one arguing that Nvidia has the right to fuck consumers over.

Stop feeding him, he's been acting like nothing but a delirious prime1-level plant/shill since February or perhaps earlier. Resume rational conversation about the technology and the delay behind Nv Surround.

When we first showed this technology live at CES in January, we expected this to become available with the first release of our 256 branch driver which was then targeted for April. Our new target for 3D Vision Surround is the end of June in a follow-on release of this 256 driver branch. Our first 256 based driver is planned to post to nvidia.com on May 24th and will enable new SLI setup controls and improve performance on several key applications for GTX 400 GPUs.

So confirmed, no surround in 256 drivers! It will be a "followup". Since they've missed so many targets so far, I'm thinking end of June means July/August for Nvidia.

So is surround coming out this month then with 256, just not 3d surround? That blog post does not elaborate on the two.

So is surround coming out this month then with 256, just not 3d surround? That blog post does not elaborate on the two.

It's the other way around apparently. 3D surround is going to be supported first at the end of June and then normal surround... after that.

Wrong. 3-monitor implementation is delayed to "by the end of June."

e: Well, who knows. "3D Vision Surround Sound" = "end of June."

Seeing as they tellingly fail to mention with 3-monitor "plain" version will be released, I'm guessing that will also be "end of June," particularly since nothing about 3-monitor support is listed as one of the features in the first 256 release due May 24.

Last edited:
Wrong. 3-monitor implementation is delayed to "by the end of June."

End of June my ass... we'll see. I trust these jokers about as far as I can throw them. And with my bad back, that's not very far :rolleyes:

Not in the slightest. I just told you there isn't an exact date, because things come up, dates change slightly. But in general it is very close. I'm not sure why this is so hard to comprehend..

By the way, I especially like how you write this from the standpoint of some harmed consumer, as if they have no method of recourse. If they are depending on having that feature *today*, they can simply return their cards. It's a fairly impulsive decision to make (given that you will not wait long, and yet you will likely live with your decision on a replacement purchase for some time), but it's a perfectly valid option. No need to get all high and mighty with the consumer "protection" complaints.

It's not as if average joe gamers will just go buy 3 monitors because they read something on the box... the tiny percentage of people who want the feature already know about it. These people research and actively pursue this type of setup, and know very well what's up on average.

Wow common sense for a change, bravo.

You have to realize Tamlin has become the self proclaimed triple screen messiah. As such he needs the drama to remain relevant. Using common sense isn't in the script. Remember he's all for the poor little guy who unknowingly and unwillingly bought into what the box said. He's entertaining to read to be very honest. Don't worry bro I'm sure you've made a name for yourself here by now, rest easy my man. It's gonna all be ok soon. Noones gonna die, no puters will be blown up and eventually when the driver's are done we will all have functioning surround.

I know I know, you've been protecting and speaking up for the masses over at wsgf for 5 years and I'm only a lowly 4year forum member. What do I know right? ha.

You have to realize Tamlin has become the self proclaimed triple screen messiah. As such he needs the drama to remain relevant. Using common sense isn't in the script. Remember he's all for the poor little guy who unknowingly and unwillingly bought into what the box said. He's entertaining to read to be very honest. Don't worry bro I'm sure you've made a name for yourself here by now, rest easy my man. It's gonna all be ok soon. Noones gonna die, no puters will be blown up and eventually when the driver's are done we will all have functioning surround.

I know I know, you've been protecting and speaking up for the masses over at wsgf for 5 years and I'm only a lowly 4year forum member. What do I know right? ha.

He is still mistaking the point, where nVidia is advertising a feature that is not present (at the time?). It's false advertising, and ATi got taken to court in a class action lawsuit over something similar (HDCP support in X1k, it was advertised, but not present).

Interesting to note, by the way, that this is on the 3D Vision Surround page:

Supports gaming across three non-3D displays with resolutions up to 2560x1600

So perhaps at least an iota of evidence that they haven't given up on greater-than-1080p implementation.

He is still mistaking the point, where nVidia is advertising a feature that is not present (at the time?). It's false advertising, and ATi got taken to court in a class action lawsuit over something similar (HDCP support in X1k, it was advertised, but not present).

Then sue em. Go hire the lawfirm and lead the attack. Let us know how it works out.

That isn't common sense at all. You are arguing in support of a company that is doing something both A) Illegal, and B) Dishonest.

Common sense is *not* wanting to get fucked by companies. You are arguing for the opposite of common sense.

^
|
|

This forum really needs reputation as evidenced above :/

^
|
|

This forum really needs reputation as evidenced above :/

Read a few pages back if your wondering why I posted how I posted it. I don't routinely go around flaming forum members but that guy is obnoxious, I'm sorry.

That isn't common sense at all. You are arguing in support of a company that is doing something both A) Illegal, and B) Dishonest.

Common sense is *not* wanting to get fucked by companies. You are arguing for the opposite of common sense.

Wow. They had full intentions of releasing the drivers but as is frequently the case in tech and in life they ran into unforeseen trouble. So because I understand, accept and can live with that fact, I'm somehow arguing in favor of getting fucked by companies? A little perspective maybe? Maybe I'm a bigboy who understands there's bigger fish to fry in life and that this is a trivial matter? Ever consider that?

Wow. They had full intentions of releasing the drivers but as is frequently the case in tech and in life they ran into unforeseen trouble. So because I understand, accept and can live with that fact, I'm somehow arguing in favor of getting fucked by companies? A little perspective maybe? Maybe I'm a bigboy who understands there's bigger fish to fry in life and that this is a trivial matter? Ever consider that?

Not to be inflammatory, but as you say, if there are bigger fish to fry, what exactly does that say about your post investment in this thread? Chastizing people over their reaction seems even less productive than the people reacting :p No offense, BTW.

Some folks will have zero issues waiting for the proper drivers, some people will be fucking pissed about 1/3 of their monitors displaying no signal.

Either way, it's Friday and it's BEER:30

Not to be inflammatory, but as you say, if there are bigger fish to fry, what exactly does that say about your post investment in this thread? Chastizing people over their reaction seems even less productive than the people reacting :p No offense, BTW.

Some folks will have zero issues waiting for the proper drivers, some people will be fucking pissed about 1/3 of their monitors displaying no signal.

Either way, it's Friday and it's BEER:30

Good point and I haven't posted in this thread in about a week. That said I suppose you could say that about anything as a counter argument and be just as right. I guess. All good though and I get your point.

I am in no way defending nvidia cause I myself would like multiple monitor playable on BF: BC2. But for those who are always complaining about things being delayed, thats part of business. Sometimes unforeseen things come up that need to be addressed. If they released the drivers as is and they were not up to peoples standards they would also ....complain...about that. You are not going to make everyone happy all the time. So I say make the best driver they can and release when its ready. For those who cant wait...well develop your own drivers and maybe you can make some cash. Anyways sure this will get criticism also but hey I stated my opinion like everyone else.

Intentions don't mean shit. Its your actions that matter.

And you are also making a lot of assumptions that don't seem true. For example, you claim they had full intentions of releasing the drivers, BUT they never claimed to have intended to release the drivers *at launch*, which makes their false advertising *intentional*.

It is also fully possible that Nvidia knew months ago that they weren't going to make the April deadline. They certainly knew in April that they weren't going to make the deadline, and yet they waited until April was over before they updated the page. And they didn't give an official "we're sorry" announcement for missing a published deadline.

And given that people have sunk upwards of $1500 into video cards for this feature, no, I don't think its trivial.

The drivers will be late AND they will still suck. You heard it here first and I have said it multiple times. Refer back to this post in 6 weeks to pat me on the back for my prescience. Been down this road with nvidia once before and I know where it ends. Christmas is a good time frame for everything working smoothly iyam.

It is also fully possible that Nvidia knew months ago that they weren't going to make the April deadline. They certainly knew in April that they weren't going to make the deadline, and yet they waited until April was over before they updated the page. And they didn't give an official "we're sorry" announcement for missing a published deadline.

And that's why I returned my 470GTX. nVidia knew months ago that they were going to slip and chose to remain quite.

Back